Sword Art Online Movie "Ordinal Scale" (YK on music)

Maybe they mean music videos? lol?
Nope. Since it's not an amv actually (i just dont know the right term) you know that kind of youtube video where there's only audio and a static picture, not an actual video.

Well, hasn't she said that it isn't exactly her fault that the songs get recycled? I mean, if I were her or any other composer/musician, I would have a hard time as well! I mean, all those songs must fill her head every day. I loved the RHH and Hanako osts, but those are live action. Still, I listen to them pretty regularly. I actually love Elemental Gerade (or Gelade, whatever lol). True, I don't go to it normally but it had some good songs in there. But yeah, I would go mad pretty much. I mean, it's for the same series, so finding something that isn't the Swordland theme (it was used a LOT and that's not her fault, but there were variations on it, which we get in Tsubasa, with song of storm and fire, but not quite as many) that is new must have been hard. Erased kind of followed the ending theme, but there were some other good songs as well.

I am sure she is already reading these comments and trying... but yeah I get that the songs may be similar or the same. *sigh* Who knows, maybe she'll surprise us with one of the char songs or a song in the show!

this one https://youtu.be/0d3i1DrhVaA?t=31
vs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdIzDnMqi_I (try putting it in 1.25 speed from vid options)

Music: Toshihiko Sahashi
Lyrics: Yuki Kajiura
Arrangement: Yuki Kajiura [& rearrangement for ReTracks ver.]
Vocals: Rie Tanaka

Well, hasn't she said that it isn't exactly her fault that the songs get recycled? I mean, if I were her or any other composer/musician, I would have a hard time as well! I mean, all those songs must fill her head every day. I loved the RHH and Hanako osts, but those are live action. Still, I listen to them pretty regularly. I actually love Elemental Gerade (or Gelade, whatever lol). True, I don't go to it normally but it had some good songs in there. But yeah, I would go mad pretty much. I mean, it's for the same series, so finding something that isn't the Swordland theme (it was used a LOT and that's not her fault, but there were variations on it, which we get in Tsubasa, with song of storm and fire, but not quite as many) that is new must have been hard. Erased kind of followed the ending theme, but there were some other good songs as well.

I am sure she is already reading these comments and trying... but yeah I get that the songs may be similar or the same. *sigh* Who knows, maybe she'll surprise us with one of the char songs or a song in the show!

What she has said is that sometimes she ends up making similar melody songs without noticing it, but i think this has some limits. It has started becoming way too often, so i think she has started doing it intentionally, probably in lack of inspiration for new melodies.

Well its not the first time we say something sounds way to similar to previous song, so if she did read our comments she would have already reduced the amount of recycling. (if she takes them into consideration)

I personally have no issue over the swordland melody like some people here have, but the truth is i would prefer it to be used less often since 1. rearrangements take space from possible different melody tracks 2. they break the mood in the middle of some otherwise standalone. tracks, like in "in this cruel land"

Last edited:
ah that's the thing. I think Kajiura has the raw ability given her past works but there is no improvement whatsoever in the past many many years.

@Liana_Ilia whenever you say things like that in your last post I feel heartbroken because I too think Kajiura can deliver but alas something is afoot, either personally or professionally. maybe she does want the money dearly, maybe she ran out of ideas, maybe something is bugging her in her private life. who knows but still it is what it is and it is not good at all.

@george1234 I actually like swordland quite a lot. not like mad of course. SAO music direction was awful though so you have to judge the music alone. Also, the way they used in this cruel land and others so repetitively shows how much they care about the music on its own. madlax era had music throbbing in the show and in the likes of SAO the music is reduced to cheesy drama and effects.

Last edited by a moderator:
ah that's the thing. I think Kajiura has the raw ability given her past works but there is no improvement whatsoever in the past many many years.
Just wanted to say that -I- think Hanako to Anne (OST1 in particular) shows she can still do "it" even now. However I also think Kara no Kyoukai (or something else around that time) changed her approach (to composing for anime). I'm sure sound directors are at fault too but Kajiura stated in interviews that she now considers how much dialogue there can be when her music is playing in anime. Had My-HiME been made today I'm preeeetty sure Dhuran Shoukan would not exist. (Just look how that plays out in episode 1).

I'm not saying this to complain - I accept it. I'm happy I got to experience that year in anime as it was happening and that it exists. Even if a lot of it is still not on CD... ^^

PS. This really got off topic, huh?

Edit: removed "a record of" before "it exists".

yes Hanako was very well composed. that's why I followed the show haha. indeed she still can deliver.

anyway we will see what the rest of the movie shows :)

as a final note on this matter, I just hope Kajiura is secretly working on an independent project (because that could be one of the reasons for the recent recycling :) - though it's doubtful haha.

I'm not saying this to complain - I accept it. I'm happy I got to experience that year in anime as it was happening and that a record of it exists. Even if a lot of it is still not on CD... ^^

Which year ? :)

About the offtopicness, it happens when we dont have something show-related to discussion, in 10 days the OST comes out so everything will be back to normal :)

Which year ? :)
We were talking about 2004 before for whatever reason. If anyone cares: I started watching anime shows -as they aired- in 2003 so that makes MADLAX the first Kajiura show I followed (even though it wasn't my first exposure to her music). Maybe someone wants to make a thread for thoughts related to the "good old times" (if it doesn't already exist) to not derail/troll these new release threads.

Edit: I just remembered I made one for her pre-Kalafina anime songs so I might as well do one for the soundtracks.

this one https://youtu.be/0d3i1DrhVaA?t=31
vs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdIzDnMqi_I (try putting it in 1.25 speed from vid options)

Music: Toshihiko Sahashi
Lyrics: Yuki Kajiura
Arrangement: Yuki Kajiura [& rearrangement for ReTracks ver.]
Vocals: Rie Tanaka
I don't know george, I don't really hear anything that could be called a flat out copy paste. The sao song sounds like a battle track while the other is a soothing ballade type song. I mean even the melodies are pretty different imo.

I believe she couldnt do it flat out since she wasnt the composer for shizuka no yoru ni, but for me the singing melody is similarish. Anyway to each their own :)

ok grunty!

Rebellion's plot was somehow based from Magia according to Urobuchi. Now Sword Art Online:"The Lazy Musical"( 5 insert songs omg. I like the first battle insert song though haha) Yuna was created because the author wanted to emphasize(?) Kajiura's music in this movie.

That's my point. I didn't say Singers/Bards/whatever are rare in rpg. I played a lot of games, ok?

Back