Sword Art Online Movie "Ordinal Scale" (YK on music)

i've listened to all of the tracks and nothing impressed me
i'm sorry but there are no originality on those tracks
this album is just like a bunch of sfx collection. 80% of the tracks are less than 1 minute

for insert songs i really love longing
delete may need some times for me to love and smile for you is beautiful but......

i'll give 3/10 score for disc one
8/10 for insert song

seriously this OST is the weakest and laziest work from kajiura

After listening to the insert songs, I think delete is the best of the bunch. It actually spins like a decent bgm, and I like how it reminds me of "we have to defeat it" from the first sao soundtrack. BGMs are absolute poo.

I don't think I can squarely blame kajiura for this ost though. Sure the recycled melodies and arrangements are on her, but the decision to keep the tracks so short is one that falls on iwanami, the sound director.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ sound director or not, SAO is increasingly damaging to Kajiura. it's very sad.

perhaps new SAO fans will like the ost??_!? I doubt it though, there's practically nothing in the ost. and it is a STANDALONE OST! unbelievable. I am sickened by SAO marketing&music and going back to pre-2008 thread.

SAO music is awful? Nobody would've expected that. Ever.

This series has done nothing worthwhile since it started, for anybody involved, and nobody working on it has done anything decent for it either. There's a reason the direction, animation, soundtrack, writing etc. all suck despite most of those involved having talent, it's because nobody actually cares for the garbage source material. It's easy money they can get whilst not putting in much effort because they know so many people will just eat it up. Worst thing is it's ongoing and shows no real sign of stopping, plus I suspect those key elements of the team are also under contract now so can't leave even if they wanted to.

It's not even just a case of a shit series that somehow got popular, but also one that's drawing talented people into it and holding them there.

Not going to say that SAO is the only reason Kajiura's recent works have been subpar, but it sure as hell can't be helping it.

To be fair, I don't think anyone could have predicted aniplex would release a soundtrack that consisted almost entirely of sfx. It's not not so much that the music is bad/unoriginal/disappointing/etc., it's that there's hardly any music on this standalone product.

I feel like the insert songs will be the main reason for buying this; the ost is just a bonus. That's what Kajiura has been reduced to: a promo item.

I find laughable that most of the OST tracks arent longer than the samples.

This OST reminds me of the Kara no Kyoukai Garan no Dou OST (in the collection some of the sfx were cut off), in terms of how its constructed. i remember that back then we were also commenting similar things as to ordinal scale.. that Aria is been repeated on most tracks, that there are many of SFX and that the ost is very short.

I do like few tracks but they arent many.
- bgm no 1 (<3)
- the guitar in "another field to overcome"
- 1:35 - 1:40 0f "its just a game"
- father and daughter does have a touching melody
- the place we should have reached, is cool, but the melody reminds me of "lirica"

sucks that bgm.1 isnt any longer.

as for delete, i do hear some "Yami no Uta" in there but definetely not "symphosium magarum" (i listened to it just before delete to make sure).
"smile for you" is like ballad ver of delete as it starts with same melody.

that 5-sec silence in delete was really weird, we havent had any since Himitsu

Last edited:
Background music 01 is the best track.

Well, we can't do poop about it, but I sure hope the Japanese fans complain. Give it negative reviews on shopping sites I read they tend to complain pretty loudly on Amazon.jp.

similar things as to ordinal scale.. that Aria is been repeated on most tracks, that theere are many of SFX and that the ost is very short.

Duration is 54 minutes + insert songs. It's actually longer than most of her soundtracks.

sometimes i wish she would never have been involved with KnK and thus with Aniplex and Kalafina.
that would mean no KnK and no Kalafina but at least she would have stayed (i believe) to the divercity she had before, and the girls voices would have been fine. That, or to have disbanded them after Red Moon and to have gone back to Flying Dog after KnK ended. I really wonder what's keeping her in Sony for all her projects since knk.

^ with how things are lately, maybe we would have gotten the Knk soundtrack and songs even if she was working on a different project under other label :P

Last edited:
Or maybe things today would be exactly the same as they are now cause she would've gotten to the same realizations on some other project.

Background music 01 is the best track.

Well, we can't do poop about it, but I sure hope the Japanese fans complain. Give it negative reviews on shopping sites I read they tend to complain pretty loudly on Amazon.jp.

Duration is 54 minutes + insert songs. It's actually longer than most of her soundtracks.
54 minutes for 50 tracks :p it's literally 1 min per track...which is really short.
But yeah definitely the main reason people would buy the ost is the insert songs. What wouldn't devoted otaku give to hear their waifu's voice more.

More like I wish she never accepted to compose for SAO. Now this poop is going to continue for years.

if she gets bored she can always opt-out.

What is weird is that SAO is getting more and more adaptations while Tsubasa stopped at 54 eps + 1 movie, and 3 OVA while there is source material for just as much. Meanwhile XXHolic has finished. What is the last thing Clamp got animated ? I dont see their stuff around anymore.

Tsubasa stopped at 54 eps + 1 movie, and 3 OVA while there is source material for just as much.

The anime wasn't well received (for good reasons). I'm guessing they didn't bother to make more ovas because they didn't sell very well.

if she gets bored she can always opt-out.

What is weird is that SAO is getting more and more adaptations while Tsubasa stopped at 54 eps + 1 movie, and 3 OVA while there is source material for just as much. Meanwhile XXHolic has finished. What is the last thing Clamp got animated ? I dont see their stuff around anymore.

As far as i can see SAO is making a lot of money for Kajiura (to the point that she even held a special lives for its soundtrack WHILE she has MANY other better soundtracks) so I don't see Kajiura dropping it in near future. More and more young composers have appeared and imo she needs reassurance that she'd still have work (even though she can also keep milking money as long as she continues Kalafina).

About CLAMP, it's because they keep dropping their shits but at the same time starting new projects. I was a big fan of them but those ladies are just fucked in the head, especially their leader. They're so adamant on making their whole stories linked together...and by doing so they forced a lot of thing to make their stories linked it left me gone gdi wtf CLAMP.

trc animation was dropped by CLAMP because beetrain butchered it so much lmao that's why

ccs the animation is spring 2018 iirc (and lmao the new CCS manga is NOTHING so far it has less to no content at all)

The only reason I cannot really forget CLAMP is that their drawing is so good and they took a great place within my heart with CCS (though if i just knew CCS now i probably wouldn't be as a big fan because Kaho Mizuki is a paedophile I tried to forget her these past few years but i have near perfect memory of things i like/used to like so i cannot).

Sorry for my ranting about them, i'm just so bitter lmao

@grunty Thanks!!

@ritardando They did butcher it but at least they had good director that favourited Kajiura, unlike most of the recent ones (excluding RHH and HnA ones)

[its the first time i hear about female pedophile :O ]

Last edited:
I have no complaint regarding the music in TRC, @george1234... the overall quality of the anime itself just sucked even CLAMP don't want to acknowledge it lol
Kaho Mizuki has a nice personality. It just she dated Sakura's brother when he was in Junior High School and now she dates Sakura's classmate...which was a 5th grader by the end of old CCS manga and just started junior high school in the current story. Said classmate is the reincarnation of Clow Reed, who shares a soul with Sakura's dad. Scary. clamp's view of love is so distorted anyway.

The youtube comment of SAO insert songs video are basically: the second song (longing) sounds like Kalafina/fate zero/fate stay night... way to be obvious, Kajiura.

^ But there are some times that the trick works. Oblivious has a little bit of "Life goes on" in it.

"Life Goes On moeagaru
inochi ga aru kagiri"

sounds the same as

"oblivious
doko he yuku no
tooku ni mieru ano shinkirou"

... and nobody noticed until way later :)

the mistake is the similar part is at the very beginning :)

Back