Sword Art Online Movie "Ordinal Scale" (YK on music)

Why do you assume she's lying though?

I hope she's lying because if she doesnt what she menthions here comes in complete contrast to her pre-knk works, or even the RHH soundtracks, which had as aim to surprice and excite the audience.

I also menthioned tatemae, its a way of speech japanese have to always say positive things even though they might be thinking otherwise in their mind, to not make you upset, (see this vid), sometimes talking in tatemae way makes them say untruth things, and thats why i said "lying".

@sora : No it doesnt. There is no playful music in the ost apart from 1. Why do people need to know which track is a movie's main theme ? Is it some kind of advertisement to need something like that ?
Why is it a problem if a viewer get excited about the bgm while watching the movie ?
- agony and excitement with 35-ish sfx tracks ? lol
I really dont understand the reasoning behind many parts of this interview.

I believe all the things she says about how she's getting the order for the tracks, are true, though.

Last edited:
I agree that there isn't much playful music in the ost. Maybe she meant game-like?

Everything else is still consistent. By now it is clear that Kajiura is writing the music based on what she thinks fans want to hear; and in her mind, that means putting Swordland wherever she can because that's probably the most popular track from the show. Basically, it's musical fan service.

As for the part about not surprising viewers, I really do believe that is the best way to approach this series. Most fans of SAO like consistency. They like seeing Kirito always win. They like seeing every girl he meets fall in love with him. They don't want surprises, they want assurance that everything will be the same. Kajiura just seems to be taking that same approach with the music.

If she really wants to know what fans want, she can run polls on her website or something, or start again these twitter events she did the previous 3-4 years. Just imagining what fans want leaves a part of them not represented/heard.

I dont know what the current sao fans want, but the next chapters of the novel change the storyline completely, if of course they continue following the novels. Read spoiler for more:

The brother of the guy who was chasing after Shinon in GGO, attack Kirito IRL with some poison thingy. Kirito gets transfered to some superhightech facility that's outside of Japan like in artificial island, to heal him, but they end up using his sleeping body as experiment for a new tech that makes Games using some part of the soul called fluctlights. Kirito's is getting transfered to a totally new world with totally new characters. It is set in medival - like setting. People in there live under the rule of some region / ruler. There is a Wall that sepates the good world from the evil world, and whoever crosses this is getting judged by knights and jailed at best. Most people live normal lives. Kirito meets a guy in a village (I think named Eugao) whose task is to chop down a huge three using an axe, the guy's ancestors chop that tree for generations. At some point they manage to cut down the whole tree and take some sword from there. They go to become knights, in order to save a girl who the guy that kirito met, thinks he knows from childhood. While training for knights they meet new characters, and go in the capital of that world too, and there is some sort of championship for knights, snobbish high glass trainees abusing Kirito's female friends and blah blah

To see the scale of this story arc, its from volume 8 till volume 18. and so far the anime has only covered 7

In all this there are only few chapters where Asuna is IRL talking to scientists etc and the other girls you know are practically nowhere

Last edited:
^ thanks havent watched the subbed one in a long time :)
Do watch the video i have on my post that's after the interview one, it might be explaining why she says what she says in the sao interview.

Not that I disagree about the SAO interview, but that and the 2003 interview are not exactly comparable. The 2003 video is part of a documentary about Kajiura, her life, and her career up until that point while that SAO interview is practically an ad piece for the movie.

oh I meant sincerity in general. technically they not are comparable. You get a sense of the true making of music behind in the 2003 interview, whereas the SAO one feels like it's just for marketing. There isn't an inch of warmth of how she created the music for SAO. and that's not surprising.

Of course this is IMHO. Someone may feel warmth from Kajiura's wish to compose music till Kirito has grandchildren.

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry for a double post but I just found this again. This is what Kajiura said about Hokuto no Ken OST:
"
I read Hokuto no Ken before, it’s a deep work, and I have memories of my blood surging, my body jumping, and tears coming. So, this time, when I spoke with the staff about the series, I wondered, “am I a good choice for the music?”, and ended up feeling very awed. But as I spoke to everyone in the staff, they told me, “this time, we want to put an emphasis on human drama”, so that being the case, they probably found my method of approach, and I accepted the work gratefully.

I tried Raou first, then Toki (coincidentally I’m a Toki fan), then Shuu…this being a work filled with characters who overflow with charm, I couldn’t write more. There were a lot of highlights everywhere. Musically, the question “where will the biggest highlight be?” was a welcome source of annoyance. There’s drama in just short scenes, but there are practically no scenes where it should end blandly. They made dozens of shots there, so it was already difficult. More than the music, I guess there were considerable scenes where I ground my teeth and wanted to throw away the script.

This time, to begin with, while I created the music for “Legend of Raou – Chapter of the love martyr”, I read the original work once more. And my blood surged, my body jumped, my tears came. No matter what next era comes, my memories of it will never fade. My being in charge of the music for such a fascinating work gives me feelings of joy. Everyone who watched this film, both fans from long ago and new Hokuto fans, I never stop hoping that you can enjoy the music along with the work."

and I consider it one of Kajiura's orchestral highlights. but really more on this later in the pre-2008 thread. I think I shan't rant too much about SAO any more. unless more stuff comes up haha.

Reactions: aki
@wat11 i guess another proof that she was able to write good musics for male - centric shows
i have never watched HnK but i will just for the shake of the unreleased soundtracks.

Last edited:
https://twitter.com/akiba_gema/status/835030809895550977

【速報!】超人気タイトル!劇場版『ソードアート・オンライン -オーディナル・スケール』OSTが再入荷しているゲマよ!ゲーマーズ本店では特大スタンディも展開中!ぜひご来店をお待ちしているゲマ~! #劇場版SAO

C5agEAsU4AE_Lcx.jpg

Have anyone here have watched the movie? I have sth. about the inserted song to ask...

In the scene when Yuna and Kirito talking at a bridge, Yuna sang a Japanese song and I believed that the melody of that song is "First Town", with Japanese lyrics, and the melody of the vocal part is different from Remi's. I've thought that it's one of the insert songs in disc 2, but it isn't. Can anyone check whether it's really an unreleased track or I just mixed up First Town with some new songs..@___@.

Eiji also crooned a song at some part of the movie. I think it's one of Yuna's song, but his crooning is umm...it's very hard to catch the melody...@_____@, and I haven't listened to all insert songs before going to the theatre. I wanna know what song it really is.

Consider from the movie itself and some interviews, I feel like this movie is kind of a big 'fan service' from the director. (Some of Thai SAO fans also think like me.) A bulk of beloved characters and scenes from the previous seasons coming out in their original versions. (Kirito&Asuna in SAO version, characters from ALO, Shinon in GGO version, bosses and dungeons (?) from the original SAO etc.) As well as asking from director to make Asuna more outstanding and to make Eiji be more villain than the author's original intention... I feel like they try to please fans more than try to create a good story..., but it may be a common fact for any movies in these days..? =______="

BTW, The idea of AR and the plot about Yuna are interesting. But many other things in the movie looks a bit too forced...

Νο i havent seen the movie, (but maybe there's some camrip somewhere) it would be weird for them to have songs in there not released in the OST, but its not impossible.

Τhe main site poll runs for a week now, and 54% of the votes has possitive opinion.

What do you think of the SAO Ordinal Scale OST ? (character songs excl)
  • good :) 29%, 22 votes
  • no comment (....) 26%, 20votes
  • amazing<3 23%, 18 votes
  • very good :D 8%, 6 votes
  • bad :(( 8%, 6 votes
  • dislike :( 6%, 5 votes
Total Votes: 77
February 21, 2017

Either SAOfags or Kajiura hardcores that don't come to the forums. Maybe they were put off by all the drama, hue.

I just watch the movie a couple days ago so let me share some thought. First, the movie itself is pretty good and very enjoyable(at least for me). I havent even finish sao 1st season. I always tell myself i dont really like sao. But the movie is pretty good. And for the music, the vocal song is pretty good and make me smile and proud for Kajiura. The other ost is mediocre if compared to her other work. But i do cry several times when the music start playing especially some ring bell or anything Kajiuraish(i dont know what to call) i dont even cry on drama or romantic scene. But for the fight scene it give me so much goosebump and my tear immediately come off my eye. There is one scene with swordland. I always dont really like swordland. I always skip it in my playlist. But in the movie it is so powerful and so goood and really fit i dont know how to describe. It probably bc it is my first time seeing Kajiura movie in the theatre and the theatre sound system is so good. Overall i feel like it is worth watching. But the ost itself is mediocre and i probably dont download and listen to it like Pandora hearts's and Madoka's. Tldr. There are some nice tracks but not really memorable.

Wait there is a song that not include in the ost. It is the vocal song of the first town!! I do want to listen to it again but cant find anywhere.

Sorry for bad english. :)

i thought the first town always had vocal because your post implied that the first town doesn't have vocals on the first place...or you mean a vocalize (with actual lyrics, not Kajiuran, like credens - Mirai) version of that song?

i thought the first town always had vocal because your post implied that the first town doesn't have vocals on the first place...or you mean a vocalize (with actual lyrics, not Kajiuran, like credens - Mirai) version of that song?

ok sorry It is Japanese vocal lyric sung by Yuna not Kajiuran in original The First Town. I almost forget there is vocal on The First town lol

Kagaribi mentioned that one too, really weird they didnt release it :S
why did they have to release all the boring sfx they know we dont care about, and leave this one out of the OST ? ...

Last edited:
Back