BD/DVD: Kalafina “9+ONE” at Tokyo International Forum Hall A [Release: Nov 1st]

I am overhyped for this release, their leaked performances were really good compared to their recent standards - yes I'm looking at you Wakana and Hikaru, mostly at Hikaru tho -. Been waiting forever for a Märchen live!

Will do my best to hold myself from watching any leaks till I get my copy :spotlight:

Mine arrived today!
Watching now. Typing thoughts below as I go.
Long post ahead.

1. overture ~ SAMIDARE
SO. CUTE. The acapella overture is pre-recorded. The projector is displaying all of their song titles floating around and it all comes together into globe. The girls appear and SAMIDARE begins. Projector is a scrolling through all the past cover arts from all their singles and albums.
SO. NOSTALGIC. SO BUBBLY. Ugh.
They sound good too. KEIKO particularly sounds like she's projecting more than usual?

2. MISTERIOSO
WAKANA is REALLY sharp at the beginning. Something makes me think this song really brings out the worst in her new voice. BUTTTTT they're singing this one with a new kind of energy. All of them are really putting their bodies into the feel of the music. Not in the Kala-dansu way, just a nice bit of movement.

3. LACRIMOSA
YES. WAKANA. I think I cried a little. I REALLY like this Lacrimosa. It sounds strong, smooth, emotional, INTENSE. Wakana sounds like she's figured out how to sing the early era songs with new era voices. I AM EMOTION.

HIKARU sang her second Kajiurago bridge using the lower harmony line. And it sounds FIERCE.

4. MC.
Short and sweet and funny.
They introduce Ashita no Keshiki by talking about their beginning and the first album.

5. ASHITA NO KESHIKI
Wakana consolidates her form from Lacrimosa. She's working some really nice vibrato in there. Hikaru sounds a bit thin. Also is struggling a bit with the upper range of her lines. Keiko's mic might be a little loud?

6. HIKARI NO SENRITSU
Hikaru sounding significantly better than the last track. Her falsetto harmony lines are still epic.
Wakana's transitions to that falsetto note is SMOOTH AF today. She's very expressive today. Damnnnnn.
Guitar bridge is actually really refreshing.

7. MIRAI
Fan interaction song.
Wakana is, in one word: COMFORTABLE.
Keiko Kajiurago bridge is, in one word: PROJECTION.
Hikaru is doing okay here. It appears that her voice struggles when she smiles.
Harmony triangle formation at the end. I love when they do that.

8. OBLIVIOUS
HIKARU FALSETTO OPENING SMOOTH AF.
The entire Kajiurago intro is BLEND CITY.
Wakana is bringing back her old school hand movements!!!! YES WAKANA WERK.
Hikaru on falsetto is actually the best thing.

9. STORIA
Strong opening. A bit shouty towards the middle. Strong finish.
The little steppy dance thing they do during the bridge is really damn cute especially with those skirts.

10. GOGATSU NO MAHOU
This song really suits Hikaru's new range. Comfortable and strong opening.
Wakana is KILLING. Her lines are strong and she looks strong. She has this smile on her towards the end of her powerful lines that looks like she KNOWS she sounds fucking epic.
WAKANA DOES THE KAJIURAGO BRIDGE WITH CHEST VOICE LIKE A BOSS. Again, the smile. She knows she's on fire.
Might have cried a little here.

11. CONSOLATION
EVERYONE IS SO INTENSE.
Finally a live Consolation with the FIRE it deserves. I think they do better with Consolation when it's on a smaller stage.
Wakana is showing off some really nice contrast between the expressive lines and the intense lines.
Wakana Kajiurago bridge once again features Wakana being fucking epic and looking like she knows it.
There's a GLIMPSE OF OLD WAKANA BELTING VOICE TOWARDS THE END!!!! I'M SCREAMING.
BEST CONSOLATION YET. BY A LOT.

12. TO THE BEGINNING
Energy city. Everyone in top shape. EVERYONE. They do their transition triangle formation in the middle.
Hikaru and Wakana hold hands for their last Kajiurago line together. Keiko visibly looks like the third wheel. No hand holding for Keiko for their last harmony note AHAHAHAHA.

13. MC
Visibly cut/edited.

14. HARU WO MATSU
Keiko - CRISP. Different singing style from the studio recording. Expressive tweaks here and there.

Hikaru - making max use of her new voice here. Super expressive.

Wakana - sounding and looking like she knows she's being majestic AF.

15. BELIEVE (Piano ver)
Oh. Fuck.
This is...INTENSE. GO SAKURADA.
The opening verse lines have been reduced to solo lines. Harmonies only towards to chorus.
YES GIRLS HOLD THAT NOTE.
Hikaru and Keiko literally just whispered the bridge. SO MUCH EXPRESSION.

One of the biggest problems with original Believe (even tho I still like it) is that it was pretty busy everywhere and everyone is harmonising all the time so the entire thing just sounded one tonal. But the fact that the piano version reduced everything down to acoustics and turned a lot of lines into solos, meant that all that busy stuff was removed too.

The result is a really intense piano ballad with heaps of contrasts in expression and volume.

This is also a good reference for those who's wondering about Xmas Acoustic Blaze.

16. Overture ~ MARCHEN
I really like these costumes. They're really bizarre, like this song.
The arrangment sounds really thin...?
The sounds that made Märchen an epic track on the single aren't really there.
THIS. KALA DANCE. WOW. EVERYONE GOT A RIDICULOUS SOLO. LOL YES. WERK IT GIRLS. The fact that they haven't fired the choreographer and can do then moves without laughing is an art in itself. This is what I fucking signed up for!

Overall a good performance with strong vocals from everyone. But it sounds like they gave us what they could do with just the front band member's sounds.

17. MAGIA.
Long time no see, regular Magia.
Hikaru sounding like a boss.
There's heaps trippy projections. It's really cool.
I don't even know how to describe this. It's a show.

18. KYRIE
MIC STANDS FOR KYRIE.
No octopus dance. Just some epic movements to retrieve mic stands aggressively. Holy crap.
Hikaru sounds boss!
Ohhhhhh. New hand movements!
Oh. These mic stands have really pretty details on them...how extra. LOL.
I wish they played more with the mic stands.
Keiko sounds SO DEEP.
Hikaru and Wakana put their stands away but Keiko wants to keep hers bahaha.

19. HEAVENLY BLUE
Probably the most energetic Heavenly Blue yet.
Hikaru sounds boss in her kala-rap.
Wakana is a bit piercing in the first chorus. Second chorus onwards - Back on form.

20. ONE LIGHT
Hikaru and Keiko shounen voices on point.
Keiko singing intently at the front row. DAMNNNNN. Step on me. What.
Wakana is really into this. XD
TRIANGLE GATTAI FORMATION!

21. MC
Bando memberzu! Ohira Yashio is the most popular one lol.
Keiko introduces into the world and talks about how Rekishi Hiwa Historia makes her think about what she wants to be.

22. INTO THE WORLD
Hikaru's smooooooth opening line. Wakana's smooooooth entry.
Wakana a bit piercing towards the middle-end.

23. overture ~ ONGAKU
This is the first time we have had ONGAKU as an encore on a live DVD/Blueray.
THE CROWD HAS HAND LIGHTS!!!
There's a mini stage on the stage.
Now everyone can have lights when they do the ichijou pose! XD
Everyone flirt with Uncle Korenaga~
Wakana owning her solo and knowing it.

24. BLAZE
Hikaru on fire. She's really shining in these upbeat songs.
The three part harmony verses are really damn crisp. Everyone is singing with their whole body.
Kajiurago bridge features a VERY audible Keiko falsetto harmony AAAAAHHHHH YES.

25. YUME NO DAICHI
HMMMMMMMMM it's not quite the same without Akagi Ristuko on flute.
I think Wakana is in rest mode. She's just doing her lines.
Hikaru struggling but hanging on.
Wakana coming out of rest mode to deliver that climax line. SO HIGH. SO SMOOTH. Was she saving her power for that? Lol. Then back to rest mode.

Live finished. Everyone is so cute. Everyone is so happy. Yay.

OVERALL:
I REALLY LOVE this live. There were parts where I actually got goosebumps and tears from songs I thought I had grown numb to. The live felt really fresh even though the setlist had not much new.
Wish they kept the MC talks tho.

WAKANA - SUPER surprised at how boss Wakana was - full of the expressive contrast that had been missing for a while, and she really let loose and embraced the energy this live. You can really feel her presence. MVP.

HIKARU - Hikaru's struggles are apparent but she had more songs where she was boss than songs where she struggled.

KEIKO - well, consistent. Keiko sounds like she's mixed things up again in a lot of her lines, which added to the enjoyment.

HIGHLIGHTS:
CONSOLATION, Gogatsu no Mahou, Piano Believe, Lacrimosa, WAKANA, and Wakana's face when she delivers a good line.

LOWLIGHTS:
Misterioso, Yume no Daichi, Hikaru's half of Ashita no Keshiki.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good news is my copy should somehow be arriving today...? I don't know how because it should've gone into customs but seems to have skipped it I think?

Bad news is I'm going away tomorrow morning until late Monday.

Good news again is that I'll be meeting up with friends and going to Band-Maid and Distant Worlds concerts, but no time for Kala. Honestly I'm not too bothered because the setlist still isn't great and I mostly bought it for the poster, plus I wasn't expecting it so soon anyway.

OMG I NEED TO SEE THIS JUST NOWWWW!! I'm sure that Wacchan will killed me with her voice and I'll cry so muuuch; I really can't wait for seeing them :love::love:

If you're a Wakana enthusiast already, this is the one. Consolation and Gogatsu is probably when I just shouted WAKANAAAAAAAAAA

I went in being not the most optimistic either. Ughhhh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scratch that, UK customs in true British fashion screwed up and it's gone back to their ransom hole.

See you in a couple weeks.

^It's been kidnapped? haha

I got mine today! Wow... Wakana is great! She was a little shaky at first, especially in Lacrimosa, but now is owning the songs. So far I am loving it. Ashita was truly awesome. I do not care for the song really, but the live might change my mind. oblivious is probably one of their best ones yet. I like Konno's part in Ashita in place of the flute and Korenaga in Hikari. Interesting. I wonder why they couldn't get Rie though? Oh well, I like that they are giving parts to the others. Konno is amazing as always. The others too, of course. heh Hikaru is great so far, Keiko seems a little loud at times, but other than that is great!

If you're a Wakana enthusiast already, this will be a LIVE for you. Consolation and Gogatsu is probably when I just shouted WAKANAAAAAAAAAA

I went in being not the most optimistic either. Ughhhh.
Oh yessss she's my fav Utahime's!!! I really can't wait for seeing this Live!! Your summary has really made me hyped!!!

Back