[Album] Winter Acoustic “Kalafina with Strings”

I read of one of their Christmas lives, the version of jingle bells they sung was quite jazzy. I'm gonna hope on that.

Me too, I always listened to a lot of Jazz growing up (If you call all of Micheal Buble's albums a lot) Learning about Blues and Jazz in music last semester has really rekindled that for me (along with seeing Dream Lover with David Campbell in Sydney which was amazing.)

I'm extremely hyped for that jingle bells.

KNGNN and Ring your bell are not totally adapted to X-ma's atmosphere, I would selected a song like Gloria :) But for the rest I'm happy :) I would like also to listen a proper version of "Gloria in excelsis" and I'm so curious about the new Kala themed song +w+

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know how to feel about the setlist. I love all the songs included here, buuuut I'm not sure if a lot of them will "benefit" that much about having a new version, since a lot of them are slower, simpler songs. Sprinter seems the most interesting option, but we have already a live version of it. Kimi no Gin no Niwa is a fantastic song, but for me is the accordion which gives the cute, fairytale-like feeling, so not sure if I'll like it as much with strings. Ring your bell might be interesting too.
However, other strings versions we have so far (Snow falling, Seventh Heaven) are gorgeous, so there's no doubt I will be looking foward to it. The girls armonies + strings is a combination that cannot miss!! :love:
Excited for the new song, yay! And the Xmas Covers!
It's a shame there's no Limited Version with Live DVD, I'd totally pay everything I have to get it. :comeback: Hopefully, if album sells well, they'll record next live.

People complaining about the amount of Christmas songs in the track list, the album description was always clear about that.

Sony: Kalafina初のクリスマスアルバム
CD Japan: New acoustic album release of popular unit Kalafina featuring Christmas songs.

I am happy that they finally released an album like this, and I am anxious to ear it. ;) Just waiting

Wasn't actually expecting KnGnN and was expecting a couple more Kalafina songs, but otherwise I'm not surprised with that tracklist.

I wonder if dolce will actually sound any different. The single version is so unbelievably forgettable it might as well not exist.
No snow falling :sohappy:.

People complaining about the amount of Christmas songs in the track list, the album description was always clear about that.
Oh my XD Some fans are really strange!! It was clear from the beginning that it would be a X-sma's album!! I wanted to listed more and more covers +w+ I'm also faithful for a DVD/Bluray for the tour of this year! Budokan won't be released, since there will be the stream, sooo maybe a X-sma's live finally :plz:

For a split second my eyes widened at what I thought was Yasashii Yoake on that track list... hah

Nevertheless, I'm curious to hear what the last track sounds like. Aside from that and a cursory listen to fairytale and KnGnN, the listing is milquetoast.

Oh, just in case, I wasn't complaining about the amount of Christmas songs. I would just prefer different Kalafina acoustic versions, but either way, I'm ok with these.
I'm curious about the Christmas songs :)

Actually... looking at the setlist again the Kalafina and Christmas stuff is actually almost the same amount (I think there's one more Christmas song than the number of Kalafina songs, not counting the new one)

Part of me wishes that all the Kalafina covers were ones we haven't heard before (like RYB) As much as I like snow falling, having another acoustic rendition would be pointless, without it we get more new things.

I'm really surprised there's a new track in here, SME usually don't do such things (as is the case with all acoustic things.) I really want to hear it.

Let's pray that someday they release the Spring Live album too.
I hope they do! The better this album sells the more chance we have of them doing so.

Thanks! ^
I really liked it, the string arrangement sounds really nice, and their voices sound really refined and polished. I like how they're putting more emotion in their singing as well. To me, some parts of it almost sound like a live, which is yay :love:
Only thing I don't really like is that awkward large pause between Hikaru's 'yukunda' near the end.
But besides that, I'm impressed! Looking forward to hear the full version.:dote:

I completely agree with Sarasara.
Hikaru's pauses, especially that one, are like... anticlimactic? I don't know, awkward. I like the song, though :)

Only thing I don't really like is that awkward large pause between Hikaru's 'yukunda' near the end.

Not the biggest fan either, but it doesn't sound strained like the last acoustic live from 2012. In my opinion it's much better than that one

Noice to hear the arrangement is not identical to the live version from the5th anniversary album.

I wonder if the arrangements are still all by Sakurada, or if Kajiura arranged some parts. I'm guessing the new song was written by Kajiura.

Nice. I like the arrangement, and I'm very glad to hear that it isn't a repeat of the previous live arrangement. Wakana also sounded amazing. She's not quite where she was when she first started out, but her voice sounds much clearer and smooth. Unfortunately, it sounds like its Hikaru's turn to have the voice problems.

Possibly an unpopular opinion but I think it's a mess. I guess you could say the original was as well but it just doesn't work for me in an arrangement that's supposedly calm (but not really since the vocal arrangement and vocals themselves are not, they are tense as fuck). Also, Keiko's voice is breaking and/or on the verge of screaming in several parts. Do not like.

lol I thought it's just me who hates the vocals. I like most of the strings arrangement, except for the part during "ima bokura wa toki wo kerihashiru sprinter", that part is weird but the vocals are just messy. I hate how Hikaru chop almost all the notes since the beginning of the song (kimi to deai...sore wa tatta). Even though maybe she deliberately chose to sing it that way I do not like it. And yeah the recording doesn't sound as "polished" as before, which is maybe a sign of minimum post recording edit but that just makes it messier. Keiko's voice is breaking, Wakana's falsetto is fugly. Arrangement is a 8/10 but the vocals is a 4/10.

Back