Yuki Kajiura to compose for "Boku dake ga inai machi" TV Anime

This week's episode was really good, just like last week's. The dialouge was perfect, and it flowed together well. The music seems perfect for what's on screen.

As for the ED, @wat11 couldn't have said it better:

ED Kajiura-wise was very well done even though I hate the voice. love the arrangement

I think it's probably my favorite Kajiura ending in a really long time. It also helps that the visuals were absolutely phenomenal; easily the best of any show Kajiura has worked on.

Wasnt Magia the last good ED by popular vote ? If we go outsude of anime i guess Kimi no gin no niwa counts too but that didnt have animation during it being heard.

I know, she did hikari furu heavenly blue believe ring your bell and far on the water in between but these shows were good too, so i guess it was the arranger that saved this song ? Or maybe she is out of ideas for Kalafina since sora wa tataku was nice as well (even though that had half its melody pasted from Endless Sky song)

I think my favorite piece is when Satoru realizes that he's actually crying.

That was because
his 29 yo self knew what happens to the mother at the end and was touched for seeing her alive

Last edited:
I've just listended the short ver. of sore wa chisana hikari no yo na. Ugh, I hate voice of Sayuri... It's so hard to listen it. Ok, the first verses sounds better - she was singing lightlier. Composition is ok... but this voice :notlistening:

didnt you listen to her prior songs ? If you did you would be kind of expecting it (we had a debate back on page 4-6)
I would say she has improved compared to her first single :P

I mean a timbre of her voice... I'm not talking abou her abilities

didnt you listen to her prior songs ? If you did you would be kind of expecting it (we had a debate back on page 4-6)
I would say she has improved compared to her first single :P
Well I would say she hasn't so like I said before, its a matter of opinion. As a matter of fact, I really like her song titled mikazuki but the chorus for this song just sounds horrific. Liked the verse but it just went down hill man.

Wasnt Magia the last good ED by popular vote ? If we go outsude of anime i guess Kimi no gin no niwa counts too but that didnt have animation during it being heard.

I know, she did hikari furu heavenly blue believe ring your bell and far on the water in between but these shows were good too, so i guess it was the arranger that saved this song ? Or maybe she is out of ideas for Kalafina since sora wa tataku was nice as well (even though that had half its melody pasted from Endless Sky song)

That was because
his 29 yo self knew what happens to the mother at the end and was touched for seeing her alive
I was talking about the whole ED, animation and music together. I haven't watched every Kajiura show; but from the ones I have seen, I can't think of any other Kajiura show with an ED as unique and well put together as this.

btw, does anyone else think the beginning sounds like Lacrimosa?

Sore wa Chiisa na Hikari no you na is the best song Kajiura ever composed since 2013. I already like this song more than Gin no Niwa and even lapis. It's been so long since I'm this into a Kajiura song - especially after elemental and most of fotw songs and singles. I'm glad Kajiura still has it in her to compose good song, even though it only appears every once in awhile. Contrary to most people here, I really like the chorus (I like whole song, actually). It has the potential to be "grand" that's sadly kinda confined by Sayuri's limited range and technique - these can be polished overtime because for me she has a lovely voice. BUT at the same time, imo the fragility in Sayuri's voice worked well in portraying what's the song wanted to say, and as I've said before I still really like her voice.

And it makes me sad that people are so fast on making thread for Kalafina songs lyrics but no love for this wonderful song :(

As for the anime: Damn this show is really sucking me in! Really the atmosphere is there the characters are interesting and mystery is slowly unraveling. The relationship between Kayo and Satoru is pretty sweet. Makes it pretty apparent Kayo deals with some serious shit in her life and they show us with her mother beating her, the poor kid :( Compelling drama, great mystery hook and I'm anxious to see how the show unfolds from here.

Again, just too early for me to comment on music whether this will go down the meh route I had with SAO, Fate/Zero and Rebellion there have been a couple tracks at least that I have stood out to me. Director is very minimalist with the score, in fairness it is a mystery/drama so that may be the wise choice here, compared to a fantasy like Tsubasa Chronicle where I would expect wall-to-wall music. Ultimately I think this will come down to the OST to make or break it for me. The ending by Kajiura is pretty good, I get some probably don't like Sayuri's vocals but I don't mind them; she rather reminds me of a Yui Makino. I think the song would benefit if it also had Kajiura's own arrangement on it but what can you do, at least the melody carries it enough.

Still a somewhat jarring transition between the verse and chorus. The melody is nice, the arrangement is bland, and the vocals are shit. Well, not shit, but not good either. With this arrangement, Kaori's voice would've been nicer instead of Sayuri. Her voice is okay, but it's nothing we haven't heard before (reminiscent of LiSA's voice which I despise). She shouts during the chorus, which doesn't help. It really makes me appreciate Kalafina for their amazing harmony work.

It's far from being the best ED since KnGnN (don't know who mentioned it, but it's not). Ring your bell is still tops for me.

I really like Sore wa Chiisana Hikari no you na! This is the first song I've heard Sayuri sing and I like her voice. I'm more of a fan of the verses, but Sayuri makes the chorus work too. I kinda want to watch the anime now for the context.

Sayuri's voice is typical japanese, so i have no problem with it, she might be lacking technique but thats normal for her age (19) and considering this is her 2nd single.

Um... what do you mean by 'typical Japanese'?:confu:

I didn't even realize this is only her second single I should go check out her first.

I dont know how to decribe it, but many girls in japan, including voice actors and some singers have this kind of voice that Sayuri has.

In her instagram she has few clips where she sings, i guess most were before she debuts https://www.instagram.com/sayuri149cm/
more songs where she sings, found in her tublr
https://youtu.be/yEPdqXGWZb8
https://youtu.be/BbqEnVR3CxA
https://youtu.be/tl2AYgttKfs
and some from youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuEfebw2noc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFpwDHxK9sw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKUG98erR3k (mikazuki)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUAzC8VwlI8

Changing my mind from the first comment I made about the preview of this song, I actually really like it! I don't mind her voice because it kind of brings a fragile tone to it. I love the chorus as well.

I agree with you, George, that her voice is the generic Japanese anime girl-sounding chick. It's a weird thing they do with their voice to make themselves sound cute and like they're fifteen years old in a HS themed anime or something. I personally find it an annoying quality and tend to shy away from artists that do that. It is almost reminiscent of how people dislike KEIKO's "cute" manner of singing (Like in Love come down LIVE, forgot which one). Another prime example from Kajiira's history that came to my mind is Yui Makino (you are my love, Yume no Tsubasa, synchronicity).

As for the song, won't say I like it but won't say it's trash. Just not my cup of ...how do you say...tea :tea:

My thoughts:

I find the instrumental during the chorus to be terribly distracting. So high pitched and squeaky and just so disordered. One thing comes to mind: schizophrenic breakdown.

Did anyone else realize how the final line of the TV size sounds exactly like how the first chorus of misterioso ends? A lot of Kajiuras stuff sounds the same now in terms of these styles she keeps adapting... I personally find the second half of the chorus to be really draggy (also feel songs like musundehiraku and far on the water being too draggy for anyone's good) for no reason!

I personally find the second half of the chorus to be really draggy (also feel songs like musundehiraku and far on the water being too draggy for anyone's good) for no reason!

This is something I've noticed too. I think FotW itself is OK, but both Musunde Hiraku and Ring Your Bell have this issue in my opinion. It's also something that happened a lot back in After Eden, In Your Eyes being the prime example I'd say.

Back