Yuki Kajiura to compose for "Boku dake ga inai machi" TV Anime

I love RYB, and that's a solid fact (omg that bridge) but man that finale is just unnecessary.

Here is the manuscript: "riiiiiing yooooour beeeeell (riiiiing your beeeell) and raaaaaaise your soooooong" -insert unnecessarily long violin cameo giving time for the girls to stare up towards the ceiling during LIVE performances and smiling with hope for an awkward 10 seconds- "riiiiing yoooour beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllll" -insert more violin and ceiling staring action-

I would agree about that part of RYB. They probably could've just finished it with a simple "Ring your bell" like the TV size version, but with more outro. The rest of the song is fine though. Musunde Hiraku doesn't feel that draggy to me, but FotW's verses (esp. Hikaru's parts) are really draggy (akoooogaaaaare noooo)

As for Sore wa chiisana hikari no you na, the verse reminds me of some FJY song (I can't remember which one) with a little bit of KnGnN. The chorus is pretty much taken out straight out of Eden/Musunde Hiraku.

Just listened to the TV size...
It sounds really typical. Don't really feel much about it either way.

I agree with the comment that it might sound better if Kaori sang it. It's hard to feel much flavor when so many shows have singers like this. Don't care for the arrangement, either...

I haven't started watching the show yet, but to me the song sounds like it could fit pretty much 90% of anime. I like it when Kajiura's OSTs feel like they have some kind of identity, so I'm hoping I don't feel so underwhelmed when I go to watch and hear the soundtrack in context. Who knows, maybe I'll even have a more positive opinion of this song after hearing it in the show. I can't say it hasn't happened before...!

I LOVE the music to this anime. It reminds me of a combination of Rebellion but also KnK and maybe some of the lighter tracks in Hanako even. The one that's playing where Satoru sees Kayo in the park the first time is just haunting. I love tracks like that, and one of the reasons why I love Yuki. This is reminding me also of Detective Conan, where he has to solve crimes as a kid, but it's more "adult" I guess. heh As for the ending theme, it's okay. I do agree that it sounds a bit odd maybe though because the instruments are so indistinguishable from her voice almost in the chorus. I love Kala and FJ because you can hear the actual instruments in the background. And really hearing it with the animation doesn't really change anything. I mean, yes, it is pretty I guess, but the people flipping is kind of weird to me. I guess it's just me. The theme was pretty good though. Maybe I'll like the full version better, since I do like the verses like a lot of people. But I can't agree on that she sounds like Yui Makino. I really like her voice and Synchronicity by her is the only version I can listen to (sorry... //is slapped)

Oh I can't wait for the next episode! I am so glad I have a current anime again and it has my favorite composer. Who knows, maybe there will be a Kalafina or FJ song in there too or another artist with Yuki at the helm again. :dote:

Finally watched the second episode, pretty happy with the BGM this time round, some interesting pieces here. The show itself is certainly getting interesting too.

As for the ED, I don't really know what to make of it. Her voice is... odd. The instrumentation is kind of weird as well. I'll have to see if it grows on me, right now it's not really doing much for me. I much prefer the OP, but that's just because I'm an AKFG fan.

http://spice.eplus.jp/articles/34550

Cover art and detailed track info:
(I don't know how to translate the Japanese title into romaji, sorry)

Limited Edition A:
CD
1. それは小さな光のような
2. 来世で会おう
3. 光と闇-弾き語りver.-
DVD
1. それは小さな光のようなMV(フルサイズ)
封入特典:酸欠少女さユりキャラカード(数種の中から1種ランダム封入)
デジパック仕様

価格:¥1481+税
BVCL-696~697
98c83fa0gw1f07elr3twmj20ez0dcgo6.jpg

Limited Edition B:
CD
1. それは小さな光のような
2. 来世で会おう
3. スーサイドさかな-弾き語りver.-
DVD
1. 来世で会おうMV(フルサイズ)
封入特典:酸欠少女さユりキャラカード(数種の中から1種ランダム封入)
デジパック仕様

BVCL-698~699
98c83fa0gw1f07elu2y9wj20ez0dc772.jpg

Regular Edition:
1. それは小さな光のような
2. 来世で会おう
初回仕様限定封入特典:酸欠少女さユりキャラカード(数種の中から1種ランダム封入)

価格:¥926+税
BVCL-700
98c83fa0gw1f07em2le7gj20fo0dcdk0.jpg

Anime Edition:
CD
1. それは小さな光のような
2. 来世で会おう
3. ふうせん-弾き語りver.-
DVD
1. それは小さな光のような-「僕だけがいない街」ノンクレジットED映像
初回仕様限定封入特典:「僕だけがいない街」キャラカード(数種の中から1種ランダム封入)
「僕だけがいない街」描き下ろしアニメジャケットデジパック仕様

BVCL-701~702
98c83fa0gw1f07em78jmsj20ez0dc40q.jpg

thank you!!
the tracks are romanised here https://canta-per-me.net/discography/sore-wa-chisana-hikari-no-yo-na/

hm so she keeps using those characters the YKX guy made, interesting, it kinda makes all edition seem like anime editions XD

just a pic of sayuri I found in her website. She wears same clothes as LE B cover, make up is visible and her foreheard hair arent properly arranged, but she still looks good imo.

3078_sayuri.jpg

Last edited:
Episode 3
raw
here
subs here

- theme music (the one last ep ended with) [old]
- OP
(silence)
- bgm with beat, electronic style with few e.guitar [new]
(silence)
- sfx [new?]
(silence)
- sfx [new]
(silence)
- bgm with e.guitar and ac.piano [new]
- ac guitar bgm [old] but bigger part
(silence)
- bgm with cello (old)
- bgm with cello (different & new)
- sfx [new]
(silence)
- sfx with some metalophone [new]
(silence)
- bgm with blinging [new]
- bgm with piano and strings and flute [theme melody] [new]
- few secs of creepy bgm as preview
ED

on the scene where he found her beaten she was more dressed in the anime than in manga
This time the sound direction was alot more natural, and despite the many silence parts, the few musics used had a good duration. loved the last music :dote:

Last edited:
I'm getting so emotionally attached to the characters! It's been ages since an anime has captivated me so much so that the episodes seem short (Death Parade, it was amazing). The story is so good as well, it proves that you don't need well animated action scenes and epic music to make a great anime *cough*attackontitanandswordartonline*cough*

Another great episode. I'm really enjoying the pace of the series. Each episode flows into the next without skipping any beats. Character development is still going strong and the overall direction remains masterful. That being said, the scene with Kayo's mother was a little too exaggerated. I mean, the abuse is enough to show us that she's evil, but did the artists really have to give her the evil anime smirk as well? It didn't help that they played that overdramatic sound effect either. Silence would have been much more appropriate imo.

As far as the music is concerned, I'll have to wait for the soundtrack to decide; however, based on what I've heard, I'm not sure I'll enjoy it without the show. It fits perfectly, but this is yet another minimalist soundtrack. It doesn't help that Kajiura hasn't exactly taken strides in changing up the formula.

thanks George for the explanation earlier but I'm actually watching the show :) the theme music at the beginning of ep3 might have a longer strings section.

well the episode is really good. the music fits really well. but :

minimalist indeed, sora. the piece at the end would have been much nicer without the flute. the motifs in the flute are used so many many many times already. strings can get away with it but not this flute. I actually like the way strings play out so far but there is nothing grand and shockingly new. but there's always some music left out in the existing ones and new upcoming music so I haven't lost hopes yet.

I even picture Rie Akagi going : hey didn't I play those notes over and over and over?

the piece at the end would have been much nicer without the flute. the motifs in the flute are used so many many many times already. strings can get away with it but not this flute.
I even picture Rie Akagi going : hey didn't I play those notes over and over and over?

Well, that's actually why I was so happy about Rie Akagi performing live so many times with FJ[Y] and Kalafina - flute needs to be fresh each time like vocals.

I do like the theme melody at the end, but yeah Rie's playing did not stand out as people have said. In fact I did not e even think it was her until I reread the comments. I am liking the ending a little more. The verses remind me of either the Kino's Journey or Aquarion. (Probably not going to get the single though) This is going to be really interesting (saying this because I have not read the manga) and hope for more songs from Yuki.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq7XWSZzDbM
Region locked but you peeps should know how to overcome that. Anyway, they posted three quarters (two thirds?) of the song on Sayuri's YT channel.

Still don't like her voice. She's like LiSA to me. And her voice annoys me. I would still rank Sayuri above LiSA's voice though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watched it. The songs is pretty good and i like that the music has a bit different play at every part of the song instead of being copypaste. The PV itself doesnt make much sense, but it sure has more action than the mostly boring Kalafina ones. Also one of these animated girls was dressed like Hinadzuki, but it doubt it has any connection (acording to what i have read on manga so far at least)

:hero: <

ΕDIT
Wow this thing actually has some plot
過去に挑むさユり。死神に変身したサユリと永遠の後悔をループする中二さゆりとさユりの3人のさユりの精神が交錯し、再生と消失を無限ループした、YKBXによる”酸欠少女”さユりの新たなる「翳(かげ)と希望」の現代絵巻「それは小さな光のような」のミュージックビデオ(short ver)。

translation by yuki.n

there are 3 sayuri
one trasformed into devil (shinigami), the second is in 8th grade with endless regrets and the third (the normal one) questions the past. Their souls blend inside an endless loop of revival and disappearance.

a "modern scroll of shadow and hope"

from YKBX

Last edited:
Episode 4
subs here

- theme music
OP
(silence)
- sfx (new one)
- metalophon ver of the theme (really nice!) (new)
- piano/eguitar bgm (old)
- some blinging & sfx bgm (new)
- piano bgm (probably new)
- bgm with theme melody on metalophone and strings (new)
- bgm with sfx and accoustic piano (new part of old?) the piano is really lovely :dote: (havent heard accoustic piano like that since moebius)
- theme music (longer)
- more theme music (probably different part)
- piano bgm (old)
- piano bgm(new?)
- ac.guitar bgm (old i think)
- bgm with playful flute and quena (new?)
- bgm with slow strings and flute (new)
- sfx (new)
ED

Like it or not in this Kajiura seems to be following the same recipe as in SAO Mother's Rosario. Invents a theme melody and arranges it for various instruments, and makes some more other melodies too. The theme will be strongly present in the osts. This time even the ED theme carries it.

Kayo was so cute when she opened the present :love:

i have gotten tired of hearing "stake" 5 times per episode, cant they just skip some of these moments ?

Last edited:
Back