New Kalafina Official Fanclub "Harmony"

Lmao

((lmao is the answer to almost everything on this forum))

Kajiura has run out of ideas for the group, or if she has new ones she sure is being coy with them. The music she composes may not be bad, but it's been far too familiar for too long. Kajiura has always come across as the type who shouldn't stick to any one musical style since she gets so easily trapped into habits.

Changing up composers is less about demands, and more about doing what's best for Kajiura and the girls.

This forum's ability to start drama out of nowhere always amazed me. Sad I don't have popcorn right now! :comeback:

I'm happy they got their own fanclub! They deserved it, and should have done that sooner. Sad it was only for japanese fansss, I was hoping moving to sacra meant being more open to overseas :touched:

About Kalafina changing composers I guess it's impossible, since Kajiura it's not a mere composer is the core of the group. Part of Kala's essence cames from Kajiura's mind. I agree that lately she has been having some ups and downs, but I for me the ups are more than the downs. Even if 2016 hasn't been a really prolific year and only got 3 "real new" songs (excluding Alcira no Hoshi, which I really love) 2 of them are gorgeous ♥ And Into the World and Marchen sound fantastic so far ♥ So I guess Kajiura can still give us some great things.
And even if she didn't I can't really think of any composer who could use the full potential of the girls for a long-term besides (maybe) Revo.
However I'd really love to see Kalafina doing colaborations more often with different artist from different genres. That would be a great way to keep surprising us while growing as an artist and not needing to leave Kajiura sensei :sohappy:

And I will shut up now since I don't wanna go more off topic :vortex: not that this gif makes sense at all here, I just been wanting to use it for ages.

Revo and Kalafina.... ahhh that would be amazing, even just for one song *remembers sajin no kanata e.. sigh*
Anyways. It does make sense to me why its not overseas. I expect it will be eventually, but as it was said earlier, they need to establish it first, then make the move to overseas. Baby steps.
I'm actually really excited to see what Sacra will do with them. I really look forward to the songs after the newest single. secretly praying for a new album cover artist.... PLEASE!!!!

Simply because just as they never felt like they had ownership over FJ (it's kajiura's) a part of fjc is not theirs. Harmony is wholly theirs.

Thank you @Hatouchan for pointing that out again. Kalafina having songs composed by other composers is my preferred outcome too but there's no way they'd change it permanently and even a collaboration with other singers/composers must first be approved by Kajiura herself. She actually has the biggest say on what direction Kalafina would take. She might give the girls freedom to some extent, but she's still their mastermind - borrowing this word from some article about Kalafina.

I concur with the statements, Kajiura is Kalafina's heart as we see it today, but that doesn't mean it's their only way to the future of the band, they're there because they proved successful to the label, and without that they wouldn't be nothing more than a KnK anecdote. Moreover it's Sony we are talking about, Kajiura's hirer since 2007. She's been able to compose for some really anime big hits and reach a wider & younger audience like never before (any anime composer's wet dream xD). Therefore, Sony has the upper hand on this issue, and simply say "we need more control of the band or, you know, we could just search for another composer for our overrated shitty shows (*looking atcha SAO*)".

With all this i'm not trying to say i want her to hand the girls over, it's just my point of view of a not-so-simple issue, and whether it's for better or worse it's just a matter of personal taste.

I still don't get it, some of you say Yuki is Kalafina's mastermind (and i agree), but then you say it's because Kajiura's overpowering presence they're taking some distance from FJC in search for freedom. Even the image they project is very Kajiura (add her picture in a suit or a random chair, and voila! See-Saw, FJYuuka, FJ; you instantly know she's there) so she will always be around, whether it's fjc or harmony, and it doesn't make any sense to me UNLESS Sony see them as some kind of Idol Group now, independent from Yuki (and c'mon, the girls haven't had any single chance to write lyrics for a song, let alone vocal arrangements, so no creative control of their work AFAIK (xcore fans please tell me if i'm wrong)).

This way, they could reach to their fans more easily, not only Kajiura fans but people who doesn't give a damn about who's behind the music just as long as the girls are there (or kajifans who doesn't care about Kalafina anymore as it's been said before in this same thread).

I'm not throwing shade to them, it's just me sharing my opinion and discuss a little with all of you, so don't lose your head please.

Wow. I didn't escape from Taiwanese and Korean dramas to walk into Forum dramas!

I don't really understand the purpose of a Kalafina fanclub that's only limited to Japanese. Hope they can be international soon just like their official Youtube page.

Kajiura-san is their EP. Unless she's going to retire or take a break, I don't really think there is a chance of getting other songwriters. Sure, maybe the occasional song like Alcira no Hoshi which I haven't listened to, some fan I am but probably not switch sides so easily.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind this:

Kalafina 20th Single: The ABCDEFG song!

Music: Wakana Ootaki
Lyrics: Hikaru Masai
Arrangment: Keiko Kubota

Something like that.

Changing composers eh... Utada Hikaru is changing label from UMJ to Sony, maybe someone can get her to compose something once in a while for Kalafina, or even collaborate.

^ Wow, that would be AWESOME. But being on same label doesnt always leed to collabs, as Kokia and Yuki were on same label for many years (Victor) but they never collaborated apart from these 2 old songs, and Utada has only done song for Evangelion i think when it comes to anime.

(something else i want is a Yuki Kajiura and Yoko Shimomura collab on a videogame, but i know that will never happen)

Well, I'm just fantasizing too and not being serious =P

Same label indeed has nothing to do with collabs; just that should management or the artists themselves ever want it, it will be easy without political issues between different labels. But for someone as huge as Utada, conditions must be in place for her to even think about it... like she's already secretly fond of Kajiura, or someone can sweet talk her into it etc.

I'm thinking of maybe sweet talking her into seeing Kalafina as a platform to experiment her composing skills, afterall harmonising units like Kalafina are very rare. Of course, I'm assuming Utada is the type who likes experimenting.

lol the only occassion where Kajiura worked with another composer for a soundtrack is for Xenosaga and they loathed each other - or the other composer loathed Kajiura so much.

@ Zenigame: Hm ? first time hearing utada likes Kajiura's music, did she say anything on interview ?

@ritardando I love both of them, so i would never place them on different scales. However they do have their strong and weak points each. For example: I love the violin melodies on many of Kingdom Hearts pieces and i think they are better than Kajiura's οn most cases, but the only vocal track on the KH soundtrack is Destati, so i think in a collaboration Kajiura could handle the choruses and Shimomura the strings arrangement and work together for the rest. :hearts:

hehe a collab with shimomura on another final fantasy project.

Kajiura on a Final Fantasy OST!!

and what's with the drama, I turn my back for a while and the forum is heated up. I agree with those who think this is a money trap, that this is show business and probably a new label or club will not beget innovation or even improvement on voices etc.having said that, I do mean well for Kajiura and Kalafina. I might bitch about the songs now and then, but it's really because I know what they can achieve. it is wishful thinking but the forum must be open to these comments, particularly a new label or fanclub is sought.
peace everyone!

and get with Wakana's dark look. wow. she's usually the kind-hearted looking one (e.g. grandma look in intotheworld) I like it.

Keiko still looks... a bit off?

and yeah it's pretty much Karmony gwhaha.

Last edited by a moderator:
The fanclub is a good opportunity Kalafina to stand as something separate from Kajiura's fictionjunction. Money is surely a big part of it, but generating mindshare for the the group is much more important. Especially since a lot of Kalafina fans probably don't pay much attention to fictionjunction.

The fanclub is a good opportunity Kalafina to stand as something separate from Kajiura's fictionjunction. Money is surely a big part of it, but generating mindshare for the the group is much more important. Especially since a lot of Kalafina fans probably don't pay much attention to fictionjunction.

That and even if you do pay attention to FJ, they never bloody do anything anyway. It's been so long.

^ is the membership fee the same as FJClub tho or less?

Edit: Hmm, seems to be JPY4000 annually on each. Not that 4000 annually is that much... but you do now get less for the same price on each club.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like to think the explanation behind Kalafina's style in recent years is simply due to the works they've been commissioned to create anisongs for. KnK explored extremely dark themes, so naturally the neoclassical darkwave style of Seventh Heaven fit perfectly. Since then, other than Mirai Fukuin, nothing they've been asked to work on is even close to the same tone as KnK, so Kajiura's decision to change the style seems prudent imo. Depending on the anime they get asked to create an OP for in the future, will most likely result in another change in direction, at Kajiura's discretion ofc.

In regards to other composers working with Kalafina, I feel Sagisu Shirou would be a good match-up. I've only heard him work with Western vocalists, but since he incorporates much variety in his works, there could be good mileage there.

Fate/Zero and FSN UBW were dark too. And you dont exactly call Aldnoah Zero as bright either. The problem isnt so much that the songs are bright instead of dark, but that bright or dark recently they dont turn out that good, and that could be due to weird director/sound director requests, or, Yuki Kajiura not having good ideas for better songs

True, but despite them both being dark franchises from Type Moon, the Fate franchise is more oriented towards fantastical battles between ancient heroes, as opposed to exploring unique concepts and emotional depth within tropes that Fate barely even touches. 'to the beginning''s brash and energetic flow makes perfect sense for Fate/Zero, just as tracks like 'ARIA' fit KnK beautifully. Reverse them, and it would sound a little odd.

Using a KnK style track for Aldnoah.Zero wouldn't sound quite right either, as it would just get overwhelmed in Sawano Hiroyuki's thunderous beats.

I don't believe quality is an issue regarding the Consolation era either, since their songs are very similar in tone to Red Moon, as opposed to the more lighthearted songs in FotW. And observing the switch in style between Red Moon to After Eden, and then stepping it up again for Consolation gives me hope that they can do this again after they've left Arslan Senki behind.

Back