New Kalafina Official Fanclub "Harmony"

^ Kudos to you for still having hope that Kajiura/Kalafina can refresh themselves. I see things differently. It's cool if they release a few good tracks amidst the forgettable filler, but I'm past the point of expecting any sort of musical "rebirth" from them.

For example, for F/Z, Kajiura originally had written a darker song for the second OP, but she was told to make it more "hopeful" or some shit. It's on the second F/Z box interview.

I don't believe quality is an issue regarding the Consolation era either, since their songs are very similar in tone to Red Moon, as opposed to the more lighthearted songs in FotW. And observing the switch in style between Red Moon to After Eden, and then stepping it up again for Consolation gives me hope that they can do this again after they've left Arslan Senki behind.

The problem is that each Kalafina album (sans far on the water) actually has some kind of recurring theme behind them. Kajiura and the girls have stated them before quite directly in their interviews.

seventh heaven is the root of Kalafina. even if it was made to match the KnK world, Kalafina themselves was actually very complimentary with the KnK world. dark, mysterious, ethereal and otherworldly. Kajiura herself said that Kalafina is where she delves into a more "dark" sounds of her works.

Red Moon is the album where Kajiura dug this root of Kalafina even deeper, that's why the album sounds very fantastical and even more otherworldly than Seventh Heaven. The songs took us to different part of the world with their sounds and even to a fantastical dreamworld.

After Eden was made with "more humane" intention. The lyrics are very humane and the songs were made to translate into live performances more easily, with almost all songs were composed with FBM sounds only. The only exception is magnolia, and that's why it's the best track of the album (at least to me) because it's the only song in the album (even according to them) that is very Kalafina. The other songs were "bright" and the overall style of the album was very far from Kalafina, even according to them.

Consolation was made with "back to their root" mindset. That's why all the new songs in this album were brilliant. Door, signal, Hanataba, obbligato, and even consolation (which I assumed was the original to the beginning before it got scrapped, just like @Kowz said) were all great and have some kind of fantasy-otherworldly sound to it. Even Door, as bright as it sounded, was very dream-like and so was Kiichigo no Shigemi ni if you read the lyrics carefully.

Up until consolation, all Kalafina albums were made with some kind of meaning or intention behind it. There's a theme or mindset/intention behind the songs that tie the album together. They are there within BOTH the sounds and the lyrics. Not so much with far on the water, that's why I really really hated that album. Not only most of the songs are not original, the album doesn't have some kind of theme to tie the album together. They said in their fotw tour that they want the audiences to have a journey of colors with Kalafina (because the songs in that album have some specific colors embedded in the lyrics) which I assumed to be the theme of that album but I found this to be bullshit because almost ALL Kalafina songs have a specific color embedded within the lyrics. This trend continues up until blaze. The only consolation is that thank to god into the world and Marchen are actually quite nice even though not really "new" and "original". That's why it's actually better not to have so much hope in them and Kajiura. She doesn't even compose something new and original with new vocalist she worked with on SAO Ordinal Scale. She used to try with Haruna Luna and Sayuri and both that songs are good.

Well, at first, Kalafina supposedly had a different style than FJ to their songs. FJ were bright and pop, while Kalafina gothic style and with more dark / melancholic songs. Also the way they perform is different, FJ are mostly staying still while singing while Kalafina have whole choreography on the lives.

After elemental, the lines have started to become invisible. Kalafina has become less dark, and FJ more Kalafina style, so i guess that now they are just the same thing with 1 different vocalist (Hikaru / Kaori ), Yuriko is de facto member in Kalafina too as she does 90% of the non-Kalafina backing vocals, as she was also before FJ becomes one group when they were still solo, and each FJ was Yuki + Vocalist (btw i miss Kaori Nishina)

I've always seen Kalafina and FJ as two sides of the same coin. I've not seen one with out the other.

Here's some confusion for ya. If Kaori couldn't make it to a FJ concert and Hikaru took her place, would it be FJ still, or FJ Kalafina ? What if Kaori subbed for Hikaru in Kalafina ? Would that make it FJ Kalafina ? Oh.. it can be complicated in it's simplicity.

Here's some confusion for ya. If Kaori couldn't make it to a FJ concert and Hikaru took her place, would it be FJ still, or FJ Kalafina ? What if Kaori subbed for Hikaru in Kalafina ? Would that make it FJ Kalafina ? Oh.. it can be complicated in it's simplicity.

Let Kaori be. She's doing just fine on her own. I personally find her solo work within the past year or so to be more palatable than Kalafina's.

Edit: wrong post for the wrong topic. A little judgmental too :p

Last edited by a moderator:
^
I actually see no relevance here since we're talking about Kalafina :p

This is all conjecture, but I don't see a point in following a composer I have no hopes for.
Continuing the OT: But are we even actively ~following~ her here? This is a forum for fans by fans. We are talking about her works. Does it make me any less worthy of being here if I'd rather talk about her old stuff here? (And maybe say some shit about new stuff occasionally.)

This has nothing to do with the topic, but since everyone is talking about this...

I don't think it's all Yuki's fault.These new anime she has been composing for aren'tso good like the olds ones, so she doesn't have nice ideas to create unique pieces of music for them.

Great, this is only my personal opinion :|
And that was my opinion? If you liked the older shows better, that's great but -you- dis/liking the shows doesn't have much to do with -the composers- output.

Re:
I don't think it's all Yuki's fault.These new anime she has been composing for aren'tso good like the olds ones, so she doesn't have nice ideas to create unique pieces of music for them.
What is true however is that she got herself stuck within franchises. TYPE-MOON and/or Urobutchi related shit and SAO.

It's not just me that think this(hello SAO ??), whatever. Of course part of the fault it's Yuki's.

And just about everyone here says Kajiura's old (pre-KNK) anime were shit (maybe sans Cossette and My-HiME). So?

I'm glad that regardless of the OST you liked Tsubasa Chronicle more than SAO. I'm glad you liked El Cazador more than Madoka. I'm glad you liked Elemental Gelade more than Fate/Zero.

I'm not even joking.

That still has nothing to do with Kajiuras output.

And just about everyone here says Kajiura's old (pre-KNK) anime were shit (maybe sans Cossette and My-HiME). So?
I totally loved Cossette OST :S and I liked Fate/Zero. I am not comparing one by one, just an overall thinking. To me has something to DO with the output because depending of the theme/history she can create different music.

But you said the new ANIME aren't as good as the old ones. And you stated that AS THE REASON why her soundtracks aren't as "good".

Mind you, my old/new breakdown is pretty much pre-KNK/post-KNK because A) stylistically that's where I notice the difference and B) that is when Kajiura started thinking about how her music is going to be used (AFAIK).

To me has something to DO with the output because depending of the theme/history she can create different music.
Yea, except Fate has an exciting premise and Servants representing a variety of cultures. Sadly, a bland soundtrack.
SAO has a different game every arc! Nope, let's reuse swordland every occasion we can.
Kajiura herself was excited about ERASED but nope, nothing particularly interesting came out of that.

tldr: Hanako to Anne OST1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back