Movies that you had recently watched

Saw Battle Royale, World War Z and End of Watch last week.

I really liked Battle Royale, and I would like to read the book and manga eventually. I can really see how this influenced the Hunger Games trilogy, especially the second book with the island and the different danger zones.

World War Z was an alright movie. The story line was okay, but it the end was just too convenient and predictable for me.

^ yes, its great movie, you should watch it.

although i just disappointed because Cherno Alpha and Crimson typhoon have very short scene and they just ended that way. They should use them to contribute more to the story.

and Coyote Tango only appear in flashback. I am also hoping to see action scene from coyote tango.

Despicable Me 2 and last month, White House Down.

Both were great movies! :sohappy:

The Wolverine on Tuesday. And great thing is, it says $0 on my ticket! hehe I feel special. (since I work at the movie theater) I thought it was good, a little cheesy, but it had a lot of Japanese culture in it so I was enjoying it.

Just saw the new Hayao Miyazaki / Studio Ghibli movie "Kaze Tachinu" at the Movix Saitama-shintoshin cinemas. Even shows the big railway bridge in Usui Pass which I'll be visiting later in the week.

Very good, look forward to seeing it again with subtitles / English dub.

^Ooo I didn't know there was another GITS movie, I will have to check it out. And I want to see both the Hayao and the Garden of Words one.

I recently saw the Berserk movie and unfortunately part of the DBZ Battle of the Gods movie... I used to like DBZ, not so much anymore. heh Berserk is good though, going to watch the 2nd one soon.

Howls Moving Castle, Grave of the Fireflies, and I'm currently watching the Wild Thornberries movie.(I loved the show as a kid)

Gravity (saw it twice) and Enders Game (once) both really good I was impressed.

@TokyoGirl: Those Hayao movies! Especially Fireflies, still one of my favorites. So sad though.

I also watched one, but it was Spirited Away, I watched it on Halloween. heh

On my flights to and from Japan:

Saw:

Miracle Apples / Kiseki no ringo / 奇跡のリンゴ (2013) - based on a true story about a man in Aomori, Japan's apple growing area who decides to give up using pesticides to grow apples and go organic. Also stars Tsutomu Yamazaki (who also starred in Departures).

Ore wa Mada Honki Dashitenai Dake / I'll give it my all... tomorrow / 俺はまだ本気出してないだけ 通常版 (2013) - comedy about a divorced man living with his father and daughter who gives up his job and eventually decides to become a manga artist and how that influences the people around him.

The Road Less Travelled (can't find it by that name on imdb.com or wikipedia) - story about a 17 year old from Kyushu who makes up a story about visiting Tokyo then actually goes to Tokyo to provide evidence that he actually went there, then misses his flight home and the combination of lies and truth to his parents and others whilst having adventures getting home.

"Fly Dakota Fly" (can't find it by that name on imdb.com or wikipedia) - historical fiction about a British air crew in a DC3 Dakota flying to Japan from Manchuria in 1946 and having to make a forced landing on a beach on Sado Island, which has historically been a place of exile in Japan. Good use of English, Japanese, and use and non-use of subtitles to give a good impression of how the British and the Japanese overcame language and other barriers.

Enjoyed them all.

In Japan, saw The Tale of Princess Kaguya (2013) / Kaguyahime no monogatari / かぐや姫の物語 http://kaguyahime-monogatari.jp/ at the Picadilly cinema Shinjuku. This was the second session of the day on opening day so I was glad to be able to get a ticket and see it. They also sold souvenir postcards in the merchandise shop at the cinema.

Personally, I saw last friday the third movie of "Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica".
It was really great. :dote:
And the musics and songs were really really wonderful. :sohappy:
But the end is...so unexpected. :omg:

I hope sincerely that there would be another movie or a new animated TV series because it could not end like that :blood:

I finally watched Eve no Jikan! When I first read the description, I thought I wouldn't like it, since it's all futuristic, but I really enjoyed it. Afterwards I read through the lyrics to I have a dream a few times...I wonder if they're from Sammy's perspective. Though, when you think about it, it could easily apply to any who frequent Eve no Jikan...

I also watched the new Detective Conan vs Lupin III movie. BEST DETECTIVE MOVIE EVER OMG all it needed was kaito kid and hattori then it would be the ultimate dc movie

Re:

aki said:
I also watched the new Detective Conan vs Lupin III movie. BEST DETECTIVE MOVIE EVER OMG all it needed was kaito kid and hattori then it would be the ultimate dc movie

Detective Conan versus Lupin III was being advertised amongst the previews before Kaguya-hime Monogatari - it would be good to see it with English subs/dubs.

Back