Kalafina LIVE TOUR 2013 “Consolation” Special Final's DVD

This particular live for the new Consolation songs is probably the only time where I feel like the live version is indefinitely inferior to the album's version, all except for Door (and that's only because of Keiko's improv), Kiichigo and Yume no Daichi. Hikari Furu and Obbligato are close, but quite there yet. Signal was just :blood: now that I re-watched it.

I only hope their next live DVD, if there even is one, would at least be on par with Red Moon which I still consider the best DVD to come out of a Kajiura project.

Re:

Lord Starfish said:
Goodness me, so much negativity going around here...

LS, unfortunately, this might be a case of high expectations and/or comparing it to previous iterations. In my case, I am comparing it to Red Moon (as that was the suggested concert I should get first) and, after these years, you would expect something as good if not better. Based on that one song (again, being their "signature" song of sorts), I wasn't really impressed. Hence my "disappointment". However, of course, I could be completely wrong based on a single song and the others might be better. I am glad you are enjoying it, though!

I wish I could afford to buy this because I really really loved the whole performance. The only thing that was truly off to me was that they all definitely seemed very tired, and not that I can blame them, because of all the touring they've been doing.

I'm not one to nitpick live performances because they're all humans and stuff happens. To me this was one of the best set lists they've had, and their performances were still amazing regardless (100 times better than lives from anyone else I've seen). Keiko's belting and falsetto were especially noteworthy in this live, and Wakana hit her notes beautifully... Hikaru sounds a little iffy at times but she's still absolutely wonderful. She still overall shows a heavy control over her voice.
:shy:

Here's hoping this appears on download sometime soon, since I can't buy it.

Why/How on earth they turned F.. EPIC Obbligato into just another live performance??? :uh..:

WTF Yoshiaki in signal??? I was expecting a mind-blowing accordion solo

Ever since the Chicago recorded tracks I TOTALLY LOVE the extended signal's end guitar riffs :sohappy: :nosebleed: :dote:

Haven't finished watching it....but I read somewhere Akagi-sama was a guest too???? I was waiting for her magnificent entrance with her usual sharp flute in "when the fairytale ends" :sohappy: but no..... :uh..:

Re: Kalafina LIVE TOUR 2013 “Consolation” Special Final's DV

Just finished watching the bluray :shy:

Overall pretty good but quite disappointing when compared to the previous two video live releases. I have to repeat again how lackluster the camera work was :uh..:
IMO the highlight of the whole thing was Rie Akagi. Funny thing is, the 3 encore songs are imo among the most boring Kalafina songs ever, and yet they were my favourite performances of the whole concert, probably thanks to Ms. Akagi :sohappy: Kala's vocals seemed to be more consistent than the previous songs too.

Still don't know what to think about signal's live. Funny, because I didn't know what to think about the song itself when I first heard it :XD:

The Anime Central Doc was really cool! It was great to see them meet some fans in America, and I like how they showed a lot of the fans' sharing their opinions of Kalafina on camera. May I just mention that Kala looks STUNNING when they're shown talking to the camera on the footpath somewhere. I'm going to take some terrible "screenshots" of it with my camera and upload them here :knife:

GC1uidl.png

Sorry Wakana I'll try and get a better one of you :XD:

5JGqe0p.png

Wakana you are such a dork :uh..: And Keiko can you stop being permanently photogenic kthx

6MN6uUZ.jpg

Wakana: Regarding the concert..did you all hear Hikaru's voice? She seemed to have misplaced it. Fortunately, mine came running back to me. Funny how life works huh?

Hikaru: You sure are going to hear my voice after this damn interview is finished. Prepare yourself for the power of 1000 fairytale sayonara's aimed at your general direction >:(

Keiko: Guys, stop, plz. I outshined you both in that live. Did'ya hear my falsetto in 'Door'? That was pretty much Yuriko Kaida-tier.

[/awfullylamecaptionsFTL]

Re:

HimeWakana said:
http://www.youtube.com/user/SaberManiac/videos all the concert on youtube if you want to rip the mp3 :shy: :sohappy:
Oh, I uploaded them. I managed to stitch together all the videos and split them performance by performance.

But ugh, copyright claims. Maybe I should sub them to avoid that. :ayashii:

WakanaIsFreakingGod said:
Funny thing is, the 3 encore songs are imo among the most boring Kalafina songs ever, and yet they were my favourite performances of the whole concert, probably thanks to Ms. Akagi :sohappy: Kala's vocals seemed to be more consistent than the previous songs too.
I will admit that Hikari Furu is basically just Seventh Heaven with considerably less good-ness, and as much as I do have that soft spot for Hikari no Senritsu it's hardly an example of Kajiura at her best... and Yume no Daichi likewise feels like a less good Symphonia (though I get the impression that most don't care for that song all that much either)... but personally I find them all pretty good in spite of this. Well, Yume no Daichi would be the one I find the best of the three, as it is different enough from Symphonia to not feel like a wholesale rehash (which Hikari Furu compared to Seventh Heaven admittedly does feel like) and my biggest problem with it is really just that it's a bit too short... Or at least it feels really short to me even though it really isn't.
That said all three songs were handled superbly here, and I am glad to see I'm not alone in thinking so.

Yume no Daichi feels short because the structure is very different. Verse to chorus is looong, then verse repeats, then end. Only two verses and one chorus for the song, no bridge. And well, both Symphonia and Yume were in Rekishi Hiwa Historia, so there is a need to keep the general feel similar (storia is a whole 'nother stoy - that was an awesome song which I would have minded be here).

And I guess the song version of Hikari Furu is somewhat similar to Seventh Heaven with the multiple climaxes, but take a look of where they're derived from originally. :ayashii: Saigitta Luminus is very different from M01.

But back here, encore is definitely best performance of concert. That energy, especially Hikaru, came back full force. And Rie Akagi is no slouch, she brings a much needed lift to HnS and YnD.

Re:

Kirito said:
And I guess the song version of Hikari Furu is somewhat similar to Seventh Heaven with the multiple climaxes, but take a look of where they're derived from originally. :ayashii: Saigitta Luminus is very different from M01.
I am quite aware of that. But converted into song-form... they have the exact same structure. Seriously, they might be derived from rather different tunes, but everything about how they were written as vocal songs is the same. Well, except that Seventh Heaven had no Kajiurago. Ambient noise for the first few seconds, first verse with very little instrumentation and one singer, some strings coming in just as the second verse begins, song starts becoming somewhat richer throughout said second verse, which begins with a different singer than the first verse before some harmonies kick in about halfway through... Well I suppose the transition after said second verse is also a bit different in that Seventh Heaven scales itself back again for the bridge whereas Hikari Furu doesn't... Music continues to build in intensity until an actually somewhat reserved crescendo which incidentally is delivered by Keiko in both songs, before it all drops more or less back down to the same level of serenity that it started out with, at which point we get a slightly altered reprise of how the song started.

Not that there's anything inherently wrong with this. I do like both songs. It's just... the similarity is just so obvious. And unfortunately for Hikari Furu, being this similar to one of my all-time favorite songs from any artist ever, does tend to automatically throw the other song in a slightly negative light.

EDIT: Oh and on another note, I will say one thing in regards to all the comments that they all seemed really tired throughout this whole thing... I suppose that explains why Hikaru's expression (or more specifically, her eyes, man...) seemed somewhat off to me through the entire event. That said, even disregarding the encore which I have nothing negative to say about other than "has a less good rehash of Seventh Heaven instead of actually performing Seventh Heaven (which makes sense anyway considering the occasion this concert was held for)", I do not think their performances were as sub-par as I keep seeing them described as here. Though I did think Manten was done better at the Type Moon anniversary... and Red Moon was done better at the After Eden event... and Ongaku did not compare to the version on the live selection CD even if this version does have the advantage that Keiko doesn't get her line wrong in the last verse...
Okay maybe there is something to it. Still, I thought they performed the new songs well. Perhaps except Signal, but eh, I never liked that song anyway.

lol at the sreencaps. They are like me when taking a pic, I tend to close my eyes, or do a weird smile or something. (I know you were pausing it on your tv, I was just kidding heh)

I managed to listen to/watch Yume no Daichi, Door and consolation before the vids were taken down. Yume and Door were good although Yume's sound was a bit weird in the beginning and I couldn't hear them well. consolation was awesome though and I thought it was their best live of it yet, better than the one at ACen, that's for sure. I do want to watch the doc so badly, to see if either I or the people I met with were in there. (Met with some fans standing in line waiting for autos, the one guy actually asked questions at the panel, but I was too nervous, and I was sitting in the back anyways) I hope to get the dvd soon, but I have to pay mom back for things, so not sure when. But I loved Consolation, and it's made me like the song more. Rie's playing was good. I would have liked to see more Konno in those vids, but oh well. :dote:

I've been avoiding this thread since Tuesday lol

but after today, I had to watch it...I was getting in a really emo mood OTL

Lord Starfish said:
Oh and on another note, I will say one thing in regards to all the comments that they all seemed really tired throughout this whole thing
I was thinking this the ENTIRE TIME, starting from consolation even. Like...they didn't seem to have any energy at all, which showed so much in the faster, up-beat songs. They just...stood there....and did hand dances and walked around the stage very slowly. This is why I'm glad Ongaku was in the setlist, because that was the one song where they brought back their old energy.

Trying to remember my thoughts on the songs...
consolation: I'll be honest...the entire lack of energy really disappointed me. To the point where my favourite consolation lives are still the studio live and acen live

Kyrie: LOL THAT HAND-DANSU

Mune no Yukue: KEIKO YOU STOLE MY HEART. So surpasses the AE live. It actually brought tears to my eyes. Lol at the end when HIkaru is staring off into space ahaha she really does get into the songs...

Door: again, KEIKO

moonfesta: this song is so much better live, especially with that live violin

Hanataba: THIS WAS MY FAVOURITE SONG OF THE CONCERT OH MY GOD. Hikaru...even though you sounded like a chipmunk for most of the concert, this song makes up for that by far. Those beginning lines...I literally was crying through the entire song

red moon: If they had more energy during this, it would be my favourite red moon live (which is currently AE because of all the power)

Magia: I laughed so hard at the hair-blowing-bc-of-a-fan part. The beginning overture reminded me of the magic mix.

Kiichigo no Shigemi ni: Why can't there be live cello more often?? Why??

when the fairytale ends: I'm so glad they didn't take this out, it was so different to see just the band on stage playing together. But...why didn't they have Rie play during it too?? There's flute in it! grrr...

signal: interesting how they incorporated introducing the band into the end there...
takfogger said:
WTF Yoshiaki in signal??? I was expecting a mind-blowing accordion solo. Ever since the Chicago recorded tracks I TOTALLY LOVE the extended signal's end guitar riffs
at least it's not just me...

obbligato: I think I have too high expectations for this song...if only they had more energy :TdT:

Ongaku: As I said earlier, I'm so glad they included this song even though it's been on setlists so many times. Finally it seemed like they were getting their old energy back...mm oh yeah, and the violin solo sounded somewhat different than the original.

Hikari Furu: New favourite Hikari Furu live. Wakana was perfect and Hikaru sang her hakanasugite not how she did in the 5th Anniversary Live :sohappy:

Hikari no Senritsu: woah, the live flute adds so much to this song. Rie's so cute when she's playing it :XD:

Yume no Daichi: much better than the ACen live

Overall, it was a tie for Keiko and Wakana singing the best in this live. Wakana seems to be back to how she was in Red Moon live, not like how she was in AE at all. Hikaru couldn't top her performance in AE, sadly.

The ACen documentary brought back so many good memories :TdT:
WakanaIsFreakingGod said:
May I just mention that Kala looks STUNNING when they're shown talking to the camera on the footpath somewhere.
COMPLETELY AGREE OMG

EDIT:
george said:
- How is Korenaga able to view his guitar wearing SUNGLASSES in a DARK room ? :ohoho:
he's just that awesome :ohoho: :punched:

I watched When the fairytale ends, and I was surprised because I thought ti was going to be the battle theme with prerecorded Hanae vocals. I liked it though.

THAT HAND-DANSU

I remember seeing a pic of that part in some report, and I thought it was for the beginning of Signal, the drum part before Hikaru starts singing.

oh, forgot to add this, did anyone else feel like the instrumentals were sort of...toned down? Not as much as in the Anniversary Live, but a little...

and I don't like how they took out two MCs. You can totally tell where they were, too.

Sorry for oot, but I think Hikarifuru is closer to Ashita no Keshiki than to seventh heaven, structure-wise.

Anyway does anyone have the mp3 rip for Door?

I've never been a massive fan of Symphonia either - it sort-of sums up my feelings of 'trying too hard and rushed' that surround the AE era. Not that it's a bad record by normal standards...just, when artists you particularly admire drop their standard by the slightest amount, you still notice it. Notice it even more, probably.

It's a weird psychological thing I guess. If there's only one weak song in a setlist, it probably stands out even more than several weak ones put together, if that makes sense.

Anyhow...I caught a YT vid of Door before the CYBER POHLICE took it down in typical SME fashion, and it's great. It actually convinced me that I want to hear the rest of the performance, so yeah. Keiko's improv at the end made it more than that the 'somewhat dull track in an otherwise outstanding album' opinion I had before. I actually have new-found appreciation of that tune now.

Coincidentally, I watched the other two live blu-rays just last week and Red Moon was indeed very enjoyable, despite having only two albums' worth of songs to draw from. After Eden may be more varied, but the main issue on that one was Wakana's 'troubled' time. She was visibly pained and really struggling. If the Consolation Live version of Door is anything to go by, it proves that she's back to her old self. I'm happy now. :touched:

As for why Kore-chan is wearing shades indoors? Maybe because he was being dazzled by his own awesomeness? :plot:

Just saw a Door video. It's probably my favorite Consolation song to begin with, and... wow. Keiko is fantastic.

edit: Magia quattro is still a terrible overcluttered mess live though

I'm sad to say that my 2 favorite consolation songs (and probably 2 of my favorite Kalafina songs so far) s incredibly disappointing. signal is just a big mess, and Wakana sounded so weird in obbligato. And that total lack of energy in obbligato. Urgh. obbligato is actually one of their perfect-to-move-your-body-song with and they performed it with the least amount of enthusiasm :(

And just want to say Yume no Daichi is really great! I can really appreciate Sato's drumming here - although it doesn't make up what he did in Hanataba. I still can't get over how incredibly dull his drumming there. There's no punch like what Nozaki did in the recording version. It's really disappointing because the kajiurago by Wakana and Keiko is actually giving me more 'feels' than the recording version.

^Hmm, I am getting disappointed too about obbligato after hearing this. I love this song and it still is my favorite by them, and they did have so much energy during it at ACen, at least that I can remember. (I think the whole concert they had a lot of energy during the faster songs) I was kind of surprised that to the beginning wasn't on there, but oh well. Looking forward to seeing the rest.

Just saw the ACEN documentary on the blu ray for this and I saw myself walking into the concert with a silly grin on my face. :ohoho:

Back