Kalafina LIVE TOUR 2013 “Consolation” Special Final's DVD

Great performances, but I have to say, I don't like the camera angles a lot. In terms of that, Red Moon DVD is still the best. Here it's just "ehhh".

But ahh the performances are so amazing I don't care anymore .:dote: Watching Door now and it's just :nosebleed: . Keiko with that high note at the near end omg.

Re:

Kirito said:
Great performances, but I have to say, I don't like the camera angles a lot. In terms of that, Red Moon DVD is still the best. Here it's just "ehhh".

They're hit and miss for me. Some of them look awesome, some look bland. One I especially hate is the one that directly looks at Keiko from the front with part of the drum & the keyboard viewable behind her.

Yeah, I agree. A little too close up for my tastes.

The accordion solo in Hanataba is one of the most epic solos I've seen since Korenaga and Konno's solos.

My impressions:

- I think when W + H started singing after Keiko's part at the start of Mune no Yukue were kinda off, thankfully they fixed it fast.

- I love Keiko's improvisation at the end of Door

- the turn-around during "mawaru yo" surprised me (moonfesta) :XD:

- Love Yoshiaki Sato in Hanatabe, as well as W + K's chorus at the end :dote: , but it seemed like Yoshiaki was playing randomly most of the time

- Looks like Wakana finally fixed her lines in Magia, loved the whole performace, it was so energetic :dote:

- LOL cellist Takahiro Yuuki almost passed unnoticed since they only showed him from the bridge and onwards. (kichigo no shingemi ni) seriously, since they invited him they should have included other songs with cello too like Matta Kaze ga :uh..:

- I am finding strange how they are trying to convince us that the playback Hanae Tomaru chorus is sung by the girls (ttb)

- aww so 'when the fairytale ends" was only M01 of the OST :( oh well...
(I was looking for a part which they could actually connect with fairytale)

- Sato (Kyoichi) destroyed signal with his performance :blood: oh so Yoshiaki played in signal too. Sakurada's improvisation after the according was bad too :(

- How is Korenaga able to view his guitar wearing SUNGLASSES in a DARK room ? :ohoho:

- After obbligato I request Kyoichi Sato replacement :anger:

- Wow Rie Akagi really adds to the performance, I think that this HnS and Yume no Daichi were the best of these two songs' performances so far. Akagi look younger than I was expecting. Akagi was definitely the best of the guests of this concert.

I really enjoyed this concert but I have the impresession that the older songs were too many and made the new ones "rare" as they were scattered all across the tracklist.

I was surprised. No Magia and Manten dansu? :knife:

Another nitpick: Gah, why does 50% of the time onscreen be Keiko? Hikaru and Wakana are not getting enough screen love. Especially notable in Magia's verses where it focuses on Keiko more than half the time when she's not even lead.

Re:

Kirito said:
Another nitpick: Gah, why does 50% of the time onscreen be Keiko? Hikaru and Wakana are not getting enough screen love. .

IKR! But wasn't this the case in previous lives too? :XD:
It's like we get it, Keiko is the epitome of eye candy. But come on, there are 3 members in Kalafina, not just 1 :knife:

Gosh I really miss Yuriko's part in "signal". It's still there but it's faint. Tbh I always wished they just put Yuriko in Kalafina :knife:

Previous lives were quite balanced, actually, because it usually focused on whoever was lead with the occasional switch to the backup and even when a member isn't singing. It's definitely more noticeable this time around, but it's mostly in the first half of the concert. Second half is pretty balanced (and the angles are better too).

Signal was epic, and so was obbligato. But yes, Yuriko's part was awesome. Wakana is good, but not even her can top Yuriko's falsetto.

Yuriko in Kalafina? Why not merge FJ and Kala? :ayashii: Five-part harmony would be gorgeous. :dote:

Re:

Kirito said:
Previous lives were quite balanced, actually, because it usually focused on whoever was lead with the occasional switch to the backup and even when a member isn't singing.

My memory is probably failing me but I seem to remember in the Red Moon live, Hikaru wasn't shown nearly as much as the other two. But I haven't watched it for a while so I could be wrong :knife:

Listened to Kyrie, red moon, moonfesta and consolation's three new quieter songs --

-I thought all the girls did really good jobs here (Okay, I haven't watched enough to give overall marks, but anyway). Okay I have a slight nitpick--Hikaru sounded breathless in Red Moon's 'kimi ni fureta toki' part, but that's fine.

- Loved the new songs which I listened- Kiichigo was quietly emotional-the girls brought it out well. Door and Hanataba were awesome, especially the Kajiurago at the back. Tbh, I was somewhat annoyed by the fade out and the long instrumental parts at the back of these 2 songs. But these 2 parts came out the best in the live, esp Keiko's yey-i-yay parts in door (closest to her solo part in Vanity, iirc.) :nosebleed: :nosebleed:

- Laughed till my stomach hurt when Moonfesta sounded and the lights came on. Same goes to Kyrie's "octopus" moments. What is the chereographer doing??!!

Re: Kalafina LIVE TOUR 2013 “Consolation” Special Final's DV

I only skipped through it - no time, and it seemed like a pretty boring concert to me anyways. Poop lighting, poop camera work, no energy.

I REALLY liked moonfesta while skipping so I listened to that one in full. I really loved it for some reason (choreography aside). Maybe because it's just so different from everything around it, I don't know...

Kinda liked how Wakana sounded/was mixed in Magia. Liked magnolia.

signal was incredibly disappointing. It didn't have anything I liked from the album version. It just wasn't the signal I fell in love with on first listen - I was expecting a no-hands, no-brakes ride but got a soft rendition with no energy or punch whatsoever. I know Hikaru was really trying hard but it just came across as out of place. And then those solos and introductions... Fuck no.

I noticed the girls were taking a lot of breaths mid-word. :/ I also wish they started ignoring all the super long intros on songs during lives.

There was something off about this live that I just couldn't put my finger on, and grunty nailed it - no energy. Unlike Red Moon's DVD which had plenty, and even After Eden.

The girls don't sound tired, but they don't sound very energetic either, especially noticeable in Hikaru. Her usual presence which was very strong before is a lot weaker here.

That 'energy' came back during the encore, though. The performances were SIGNIFICANTLY better during encore (and to me was the highlight of the entire concert).

But eh, camera work and lighting not up to the standard set by previous DVD lives. Even Type-Moon Fes live was better than...this.

After watching through the entire thing, I'm disappointed, because I know it could've been done much better.

At least I can stare at Wakana's gorgeous hair here. :shy:

PS Kalafina so needs to fire their crap choreographer. But benefit of the doubt, at least the mini-dances in their Seventh Heaven DVD (specifically oblivious) was better than octopus Kyrie and moonfesta's starting pose (thank goodness for no Manten dansu at least).

The choreography has always been something I was never keen on...it comes across as really...forced? Maybe someone else can chip in and find the right words for that. In between songs and generally whenever they have a camera on them, the three of them have a great rapport going on and have enough natural charm to win over a crowd so I'm not sure what it's trying to achieve!

I expected the track list to be leaning heavily towards the newer stuff, which is fine - it's understandable I guess when artists are promoting their latest record, and Consolation is a really strong album anyway. They have some of their best material on there that can absolutely take the roof off. I'm really looking forward to hearing the new stuff in a 'live' setting - with any luck, Obbligato will make up for the lacklustre Signal (I still think a violin would've worked better than an accordion...sorry).

Even so...no Aria or Love Come Down? Really? I'm selfishly asking, "why?" That's just a personal preference really, because it's interesting to hear how the performances of the earlier tracks change over time. :rain:

Ordering a copy now is a bit of a no-go for now - I have to finish christmas shopping for my family, and the postal service around these parts tends to go a bit erratic at this time of year. If it comes to it, I'll grab my copy if my planned trip to Osaka in May works out.

Re:

Martin said:
Even so...no Aria or Love Come Down? Really? I'm selfishly asking, "why?"

Well logic would say "because lives of those songs have been released too many times already", except that's already the case with many songs that did make it to the concert. Hi Kyrie, red moon & Ongaku :cry:

It really is depressing that Seventh Heaven has been neglected in terms of video lives, especially since I consider that album by far not only Kalafina's magnum opus, but Yuki Kajiura's too.

Kirito said:
Yuriko in Kalafina? Why not merge FJ and Kala? :ayashii: Five-part harmony would be gorgeous. :dote:

That would be cool. Angel Gate on FJ Live Vol 4 really did sound beautiful, even with Yuuka whose voice I find quite grating on the ears :cry: I do enjoy having the two different bands though, and I especially like how FJ does a lot of Yuki's other stuff in the lives other than songs exclusively attributed to FJ in album recordings. The main reason why though I want Yuriko to be a main member of Kalafina is because she's basically in every damn Kalafina song already :knife:

^ they are probably considering Hikari Furu as seventh heaven's replacement in lives, but I have to say that sh is superior in many aspects.

I would also love to see some non-dvd songs performed too like lirica and utsukushisa since we only got those in that live album...

seventh heaven is definitely superior to Hikari Furu imo. Keep in mind though I was talking about the album and not the song :XD:

I am waiting for my BD and, well, curiosity took it's toll and followed the link. To minimize any spoiler aspect of the concert, I jumped to the one song which I have a love/hate relationship - Ongaku and...

Unfortunately, I will have to agree with Kirito's thought about lacking energy. If I compare it to Red Moon (the other Kalafina concert BD I have), the fact Keiko wasn't jumping around, nor had the smile she usually has in this particular song and the fact she called the FBM names really fast told me something was a bit off. Now, here is the funny thing: if I listened to the song again (without visual cues), the song was actually fine. I hope it wasn't a one-off, as in this song only. I guess I will have to wait for the BD to arrive and then watch the whole concert to find out.

As a side note, I I found it funny Hikaru borrowed one from Keiko's book: just before the violin piece, she was standing next to Korenaga Koichi, she kneeled next to him!

I haven't seen the concert but, perhaps the lack of energy could be because it's the final concert? Before "Special Final", they had 14 Consolation concerts.

WakanaIsFreakingGod said:
Hikaru sounds like an autotuned robot in Moonfesta :/ Is her voice in really bad condition thus they decided to post-process her voice heavily this time? :cry:

Hikaru's fairytale "sayonara" was the worst one she's done, ever.
Hikaru I think you need to rest your voice :cry: Like seriously I thought she was probably the best vocalist in the Red Moon live, but she has been declining since then :( Wakana did too for a while, but her voice seemed to magically come back sometime recently :XD:
I know, right? Hikaru was the standout in Red Moon (though all three were excellent), and even After Eden with her voice change [and great control over it too].

Moonfesta and Mirai were the ones that made her sound robotic, but it's less to do with the post-processing as it is more of a problem with her voice itself. Back in Red Moon and After Eden days, she had a very clear distiction between her voice that had a tendency to become too nasal at times (eg storia) and her deeper, clearer one (neverending and such).

With the robotic voice, it seems like she's trying really hard to find that 'middle ground', which doesn't work (and I don't get it because there was definitely middle ground in ARIA and sprinter back in Type-Moon Fes). Not to mention it's robotic because they have to correct her pitch, a problem that she's working on (that the other two rarely have now), but not quite yet, most likely due to her inexperience compared to the other two (but 5 years in the biz should give her significant vocal improvements, unless Kalafina hasn't been receiving vocal training for these past years at all, and it sure seems like it). Hikaru's always been off during Mirai's starting.

Her performances during encore was awesome. It's like from the entire concert of "come on, Hi-chan" then BOOM, she was back when she sang Hikari no Senritsu. Added with the awesomeness of Rie Akagi, both HnS and Yume no Daichi were the clear best performances of the concert, along with Hikari Furu, Door, Consolation and Manten (which they're surprisingly consistent in).

Standout vocalist for this concert was really Keiko. She's, like, the only with energy. Then again, what can you expect from macho-senpai? :plot: Though Wakana is definitely most surprising. She's like from high in 2008 to an all time low in 2011 and 2012 and back again in 2013.

Goodness me, so much negativity going around here...

Anyway, got my copy. The encore was amazing. Just sayin'. Oh and I'm glad to see that, unlike the PV, they didn't pair Yume no Daichi with the most drab and depressing colors and visuals possible this time. Hikari no Senritsu initially struck me as a bit of an odd inclusion, but I'm glad it was there because that was so much better than their previous performance of that song, which incidentally has a bit of a special place in my heart for being the first Kalafina-song I ever heard.

I personally think Hikaru's got the weakest performance in Red Moon live - and the best at After Eden live.

Haven't watched the whole thing, so can't say much. Except they really should fire their choreographer. That choreo in Kyrie was just a big no. :uh..: There are a lot of things they could do to make them have a greater stage presence even without the choreography. I'd rather have the girls jumping around freely (like what Kaori and Keiko did in synchronicity live vol.4) than those stupid choreography.

[edit] is now in moonfesta Hanataba and I thought Hikaru was the one who gets most time onscreen, since most time the video was shot from Hikaru's side. Unlike After Eden DVD which got both Hikaru's and Wakana's side. Wakana definitely gets the less time onscreen, though. - oops, Keiko did get the most screentime in Hanataba. Agree about Hikaru sounded totally autotuned in moonfesta. There are still some parts where her voice somehow directly sounded totally nasal and different in the end.

I SO KNOW SATO WON'T EVEN MAKE A PAR WITH NOZAKI IN THE ORIGINAL VERSION. While Sato did make some nice improvisation in Kyrie, Hanataba is just such a disgrace to the original version - and Door too. The drumming is not moving at all. :uh..: To think that Hanataba is actually one of the most emotional Kalafina song ever...

I'm just gonna keep editing, sorry. Is now on signal and OMG signal was horrible, music-wise. They really should just use the karaoke and not have Sato played the drum - which is really weak and lame, which makes the song loses its aggressiveness. And totally agree about this live has less to none energy at all. :uh..:

And I actually glad there are some flaws in Keiko's parts, like that 'sono mama umi he' in signal. She sounded totally the same as she was in ACEN concert, and shows that her voice wasn't heavily edited. And that improvisation in Door was a total improvisation, since it's totally different than the one in ACEN concert. Keiko you're the best! :love: That falsetto :nosebleed:

For last notes, I'm really sad the girls really didn't show the tiny bit of excitement during the performances, especially in signal - well, the live arrangement wasn't really good, but still... :uh..:

Back