Kalafina 21st single "Hyakka Ryouran" (Katsugeki Touken Ranbu ED)

Well she's doing Princess Principal and Heaven's Feel too. And you dont know what they asked her to make.

However the lack of inspiration on this is obvious.

FJ you mean :P Hikaru's nowhere in this sample.

he did mean Kalafina. what he meant is the song sounded more kajiuralike compared to one light and blaze which have more "generic" feeling to it.

lulz @grunty :XD: i'd take believe's verses too. i still think believe's and heavenly blue's verses to be among the best parts of fotw album :p

wakana lead anisong is to be expected after hikaru heavy blaze and marchen. why so surprised.

back to queen so hyang i go.

This is the most FJ sounding thing. I can hear the Parallel Hearts comparisons easily.

Sounds pretty alright to me, more interested in it than any of the HB/Believe/RYB/Blaze bunch even if it's not super special. Can't say I expected much in regards to uniqueness when it comes to this franchise anyway.

Well she's doing Princess Principal and Heaven's Feel too. And you dont know what they asked her to make.

However the lack of inspiration on this is obvious.

Hmm I guess you are not well-versed in internet slang and you take some statements literally (I know she's composing for PriPri and HF. look up some of my posts) :ayashii: Well...Aren't you a bit curious on why "they" as you mentioned didn't order them to sing a Japanese-flavored song? BUT! Let's wait for full/anime version to know if it's straight-up autopilot or cut-outs of some songs with Japanese-sounding in some parts.

I don't care if the song is like that btw I am just expecting the song to feel like related to Katsugeki. Still better than Believe for me :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm personally surprised because although we all know this sounds old, I honestly will not listen to Parallel Hearts by choice (usually I'll let it play out when I'm working with my hands or outside, and too preoccupied to just skip one song), but I like the sound of this sample.

Several past comments caught my attention that pertain to Hikaru: I agree that we shouldn't be surprised that it's a pseudo-FJ chorus progression, as Hikaru has been blessed with 66% of the recent leads (which she had done well, regardless of the song). However, I also remember that translated interview had Hikaru stating that there would be "emphasis on tonal changes".

Personally that makes me interested to hear Hikaru's vocals in this song. I don't know if this is a common thought or not, but in my opinion, Hikaru is the singer with the most noticeable power to move the aesthetic of a song with her tone alone. I hope it will give the song at least a hint of "inspiration"-sound (not regarding the song's mood, but rather some new kind of musical progression), because I agree that it sounds nostalgic but is potentially touching on generic.

I also agree that I'm tired of the recent abuse that the flute has been getting in Miss Kajiura's work. On the topic of traditional style, I'm interested as to the songs that would come out if Kajiura decided to have Kalafina or FJ collaborate with, say, the band Rin', had they not disbanded. (If you don't know Rin', their album Inland Sea is on Spotify and iTunes)

Last edited:
This is essentially Parallel Hearts V2 and while I love that track, I'm a little disappointed after reading "The beauty of a subtle Japanese style hidden within the sound is being fused together with our own distinctive music style and it turned into a song that is showcasing a completely new aspect of Kalafina. " Not hearing those influences in this extract, but we got like 30 seconds, so keeping the faith here that we might hear something new when the entire thing is released.

On the other hand, if they're going more towards FJ style and further from Blaze, then I cannot complain, and what we heard was pretty solid regardless of what we were promised, I just kind of wanted another Keiko track.

I actually do mean Kalafina (Lol I didn't see ritardando's above XD); by that logic then the oblivious single songs should be considered FJ because of no Hikaru. And Hikaru is there; she's just doing harmonies (which is the main selling point of Kalafina if you remember, hence naming their fanclub after the concept)

I was curious so here's a mix with Parallel Hearts (semitone higher obv, seemed to be the same bpm so I didn't stretch it).
Code:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/cy940xbco1lnsx3/lulztest.mp3

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know . . . I'm feeling it. And I'm not feeling it in the same way I was feeling Blaze (where it started off shaky and each week I questioned myself more and more, though I don't hate it), I'm a bit more . . . invested? I can't really pinpoint it.

I can only pin this down because I got into Kalafina (actually Kajiura in general) not knowing what anime/shows that their songs were attached to. However, I now see these anime teasers and whatnot by keeping up with CPM. Easily swayed by aesthetics of art and music, I don't know if other people do this but I often have to take myself back to "what would I think of the sample while hearing this without seeing the preview or hearing the dialogue?" It's made me stray away from some songs (notably One Light), question some (such as Progressive), and enjoy others (such as Believe). (Note that this is from my personal taste)

Taking up this self-detaching mindset, I'm on the supporting side of this single. I'm equally interested in both the rest of HR and it's B-side accompaniment.

I was curious so here's a mix with Parallel Hearts (semitone higher obv).
Code:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/cy940xbco1lnsx3/lulztest.mp3

One, these sound fabulous together because of the stray lyric arrangement while having the same progressions. Two, thank you for doing this because it made me personally realize that one of the reasons I'm enjoying HR more is because of the way Kajiura modified the chorus ending. In my opinion it's more of a Kajiura-esque way than Parallel Hearts' was. . . . Maybe I'd like Parallel Hearts more if it hadn't been almost all long notes and was more robust?

It also makes me think of a half-and-half album cover, the way the anime cover was for Blaze.

Last edited:
This is essentially Parallel Hearts V2 and while I love that track, I'm a little disappointed after reading "The beauty of a subtle Japanese style hidden within the sound is being fused together with our own distinctive music style and it turned into a song that is showcasing a completely new aspect of Kalafina. " Not hearing those influences in this extract, but we got like 30 seconds, so keeping the faith here that we might hear something new when the entire thing is released.
Same here, I liked the few seconds we got, but Wakana's description of the song put my expectatives too high, and I dont's see the slightiest bit of japanese influence and definitely not a new aspect of Kalafina. :TdT:If I recall correctly Hikaru said it was very "glamurous" as well, but I cant see it at all. Don't know what to expect for the rest of the song.
I agree that is Pararell Hearts v2, but I found this way prettier. I never really cared about PH, the long notes are not really pleasant for me. Hyakka Ryouran sounds more solid and easier to listen to. Better than Believe/HB/Blaze/OL, but doesn't reach Marchen/ItW level yet.
Now I'm curious about the B-sides, since lately are the best part of the singles...

They are pretty much the same to me.
Alright, I couldn't get over how my views on the chorus of both songs was so polar, so I did a little picking apart. The most I can discern of my preference is that I lean toward HR because of the small canons that Keiko sings at the second and end lines of the chorus, which add a bit more intricacy to the song than PH's long, more cookie-cutter-seeming notes. The background music has only the teeniest bit of distinction in their drum-n-strings progression, so that's not it.

@Hayden Kurosaki, just to be in the clear I never intended to argue which is better or anything. I feel you are allowed to like whichever song you want. You can prefer HR over PH (even if based on the sample I don't), just as I prefer neverending over Hikari no Senritsu (although I'm not sure it's the same exact case). :p

@Hayden Kurosaki, just to be in the clear I never intended to argue which is better or anything. I feel you are allowed to like whichever song you want. You can prefer HR over PH (even if based on the sample I don't), just as I prefer neverending over Hikari no Senritsu (although I'm not sure it's the same exact case). :p

No, I didn't want any conflict! I was just continuing to listen to the preview video and your song-to-song experiment, and I personally irritated myself, like I was doing PH a disservice by enjoying HR's chorus so much. So I took a couple minutes to pinpoint and self-justify my reasoning. :desksweat:

(ALSO I completely agree on neverending, which I adore, personally being superior to HnS -- which similarly to PH, I don't listen to by choice)

Last edited:
Ooh, that's true! The smoothness is also very enticing along with the touching-up of intricacies. Therefore, HR's chorus doesn't come off mundanely soprano-heavy, as PH does.

Though regarding B-sides, I could never get into Haru wo Matsu, and so I hope I can be resurrected.

Back