Kalafina 21st single "Hyakka Ryouran" (Katsugeki Touken Ranbu ED)

The song is nice but nothing special so far. Maybe I will change my mind after hearing the full version of it

To be honest, I am getting bored for that "vocal progression". First we heard Keiko or Hikaru, and then at the pre-chorus we heard Wakana, then at the chorus, it's all Wakana ~
We already have a lot of song with the vocal progression like this (believe, heavenly blue, one light, blaze, ring your bell). I 70% can make sure that this song is having a Kajiurago chorus at the middle of the song (like OL and blaze did) and for me this vocal progression that made this song sounds so boring

Last edited by a moderator:
Hm...it reminds me of one of those songs on the far on the water album. I ain't impressed so I can't say I care much about this song.

Thanks Ritardando.
Reminds me of Believe. Starts bretty good, cool verse, nice pre-refrain but you can already tell where the song is going, and then *poop* the refrain. Hopefully the bridge isn't random and pointless.

The refrain is not poop, but the explanation is accurate.

From this tv size I can say that I really really love the intro, Keiko's voice is fantastic in that point!! I can't wait for listening more and for seeing the full PV wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii :dote:

Atlas Star's hate on Wakana is unnecessary, but isn't really unjustified . . . I think Wakana leading the high chorus is my biggest contributing factor that pushes the chorus sounding so uninspired.

This became a scat thread pretty fast.

Decent song so far, arrangement is copypasta from FotW

I think Keiko is showing more of her secret depths while Wakana was maybe constipated that day? Is Hikaru even in this song?

I feel like Wakana vampired the life outta Hikaru and that's why she's so commanding. Even in that tiny preview, Hikaru looked so awkward that it made her lack of vocals in the chorus even more obvious.

Also another personal shock, but I'm not a fan of what the PV's preview looks like . . . Such an aesthetically high-energy chorus standing in what looks like a volcano gravesite? The song translates to One Hundred Flames Burning but the set looks like it rained on said flames. I like what I've heard of the song but I pray for the PV.

Last edited:
I like it, quite a bit! :dote:

I actually think Wakana sounds fine here, and Keiko actually has a significant part in a TV size for the first time since to the beginning. The verse/pre-chorus remind me of songs from the game Hyrule Warriors, especially this song (or maybe I'm insane). Though the transition into the chorus sounds boring, I think the rest of the song so far is awesome! And though I have seen the "vocal progression" used before in songs, here I think it fits (at least when Wakana comes in). Wakana's voice here is hopeful, which reflects well on the show as well as adding excitement to the song. Though it is pretty FJ-esque, that's definitely not a bad thing. Waiting hopefully for August 9th when it releases :love:

I'm kind of confused as to why some of you say it sounds like an FJ song. Why do you guys say that? I really am trying to understand.

cause it sounds like parallel hearts
From what I've heard personally, FJ songs tend to be more counter-melody centric in their choruses, and are upbeat. They also are typically pretty string quartet-based in their arrangements.

I like it quite a lot too!
I want to reserve my "review" until the single comes out so I can just do that all at once.
But the TV version is definitely doing its job in delivering the world view of Touken Ranbu in its progression and lyrics.

It's being really well received by the Japanese TR fans and a lot of fans on twitter have taken the lyrics (and the fact that the ED is Kalafina) as imminent death flags for their beloved sword bois. It's pretty great XDDD

I'm really enjoying it. Maybe if hikaru and keiko had just sung the verses I would've liked it more. The guitar and flute in the verses are really nice.
I love the start of it. Like WOAH

@Westkana We'll be insane together because I hear the reminiscence.

@Yui Makino I second Westkana on the point of their heavy counter-melody (which is why even for all the fighting I do for Kalafina I actually prefer FJ), but it's the combo of that and the strings (which I kind of wish weren't there but what do I know) that I see as making it too akin to FJ.

Whoever said this brings in a bit of Maboroshi no Sora, EXACTLY.

Wow... such a powerful opening by Keiko. I was hoping for something like obbligato again, while this is not as epic, I think I will love the full version. I will try not to listen to it that much in order to prepare for the full, and not listen to that either until I get my copy. heh I like the flute in the beginning too, I hope for more. I do understand why people think FJ when hearing the chorus. It's Parallel Hearts, with some different notes in there. Kind of like ttb and the SAO song. I am hopeful for this! I also want to watch the show too. I still haven't seen Kibuki Cycle's newest ep. I do agree about the dresses up close, why couldn't they be the covers? They kind of remind me of the Kagayaku in the placement at least. I wish the word Sample weren't over them. lol

Back