Kalafina 21st single "Hyakka Ryouran" (Katsugeki Touken Ranbu ED)

Interesting.... The covers look like a mix of Blaze with Yume no Daichi... with RM's color scheme :XD:. I like the flower overlay at the bottom

OOOOOOOOH.

Also Wakana has finally commanded my attention in multiple cover shots, which I admit almost never occurs -- not to come off rude, but even when "trying", she poses as a delicate flower. But here, especially in that third one, I am living for the hundred flames.

Now I sure as hell am not one to be into saturated colors -- hence why my favorite cover arts from them are After Eden and Consolation -- so I'm both shocked and happy that I am SO into this concept. I enjoy the Kill Bill-ness because they, especially Wakana and Keiko, off-put such garishness with strength and femininity, so the polarization is there.

Now I do also agree that 1.) It looks like the same photographer stepped his game up, 2.) The decals fading out from the bottom were a fabulous touch (I also enjoy that they're floral instead of flaming, taking out what would make the cover a little too . . . present. Or more bluntly, obvious), and 3.) Although Hikaru looks great, her posing game was pretty off. A little too present as well, but not obvious so much as it looks like she knows that she is required to pose, as opposed to Wakana, who looks like she is truly feeling it. I heard Keiko was an actual dancer and she usually looks as such, and so here she is holding both the middle of the cover and of my preference.

Last edited:
Oh, I forgot to contribute to everyone's thoughts -- What the funtuck is that vinyl-specific BS -- and Aelarion made another good point that I read too quickly: these covers are great for the anime that they're associated with. I wonder what I would have thought, had this been an unattached, Kalafina-specific single.

@george1234 (or whoever was the moderator) quoting/spoilering the images still makes them load. Please, please, edit them out. They are just too big to have in a post. Not everyone has unlimited interwebs (especially on phones).

@grunty I'm surprised, I have an iPhone and I already saved the covers, so they stay in the spoiler without loading, at least for me.

Also random thought. I think a cover arrangement that could have saved Hikaru would be to switch sides with Wakana, and take (in the order that HimeWakana posted) Hikaru's first panel, Wakana's second panel and Keiko's third panel, put onto a cover.

Lastly, when just song titles, I think that KantanKatan will be just as high-tempo as TeToTetoMeToMe and I hope that aesthetically, it sounds equally traditional (even if TeToMe's version of "traditional" is more West-Asian than East); I also hope that Tanbo is equally as strong and enticing as Sandpiper, its down-tempo animal-title competition.

All in all I hope this will be a refresher, musically, even moreso than itw/Marchen was (even Haru wo Matsu was a bit surprising sound-wise, though my tastes prevent me from truly embracing it). I've already been pleasantly surprised by these covers. Let the content under those covers bring us some profusely burning magic.

Last edited:
The design isn't bad, but they used just a simple effect... and the girls are too dark.

My edit

content_hyakka_syokaiA_edited.jpg

Oh, I forgot to contribute to everyone's thoughts -- What the funtuck is that vinyl-specific BS -- and Aelarion made another good point that I read too quickly: these covers are great for the anime that they're associated with. I wonder what I would have thought, had this been an unattached, Kalafina-specific single.

At least it's an instrumental that's exclusive here. I've seen a few albums from some of my favourite artists which have full tracks which are only on the vinyl version, and they're damn fine songs at that. I suppose at least in those cases it's an album. I don't really care much about single releases on vinyl, it's why I haven't bothered with any of Kalafina's vinyls other than FotW.

Still hoping there's a decent quality vinyl release on the cards for their first four albums, I'd buy the shit outta those.

Also two b-sides pleases me a lot. Always nice to have more music and the more interesting stuff is always in the b-sides.

Going back to the song sample, I think I have to echo people like grunty and ritardando in saying that I found it kinda disappointing. I never liked Parallel Hearts, depsite it being one of the first FJ/YK songs I've ever heard, so this song being a sort of sister song to PH isn't sitting all that well with me rn.
All you people who were expecting a more traditional Japanese sounding song, idk what you were expecting lol. :leaf:
Hopeful for the two b-sides tho! It's always nice to see 2 versus just 1.
And about the covers, I like the poses and what I can see from the dresses, but that red filter is just so bright it strains my eyes :...:

@sarasara My dislike of Parallel Hearts fuels my curiosity toward what the differences will be in Hyakka Ryouran. Do not let yourself become completely lost.

Back