Kalafina 10th Anniversary Live at Nippon Budokan (2018-01-23) (BD/DVD Release June 13/2018)

S

Squall Leonhart

So we might be fine with some of the idiosyncrasies and 'live magic' of the lives, but they won't be suitable for most listeners who only know the CDs.
Good point.

No its not a specific software like photoshop is lol we just call that all the things they do to make the girls sound better on CDs or Live BDs
Thanks for clearing that up. Every time I read studio magic I kept thinking it sounded like a software product haha :D

Westkana

HA! I live in her CLOSET!
I have a dream was literally a single vote away from being performed (and beaten by the inevitable 音楽 too) :comeback:

Anyway, This is some really good data for the girls to consider, it shows them what the fans enjoy and if they enjoy it too, then they can perform it and it's a win-win all around :goodjob:

I am surprised Magia is all the way down at 46, and Kimi no Gin no Niwa at 39, considering they're some of Kala's best selling singles. Maybe in Magia's case fans have just gotten tired of it :XD:

K

Kirito

It's not a really a vote of popularity, or which songs they like most, it was just which ones they wanted performed at 10th anni.

Magia and KnGnN has been overperformed, no doubt about it. Most Kalafina fans have seen at almost every anime live or concert, so it's understandable that it's way at the bottom. I'm just surprised heavenly blue is way up there, because it's overperformed AND shit.

Westkana

Magia and KnGnN has been overperformed, no doubt about it. Most Kalafina fans have seen at almost every anime live or concert, so it's understandable that it's way at the bottom.
I often wonder what goes through their minds nowadays when they perform these songs, especially something as dramatic as Magia. There has to be at least a few times where Hikaru (or Wakana/Keiko but they don't have as much lead) just wasn't connecting with the song, considering how much they perform it

B

Believe in Heavenly Blue

yay they performed heavenly blue! no believe though? :(

Westkana

Unpopular opinion incoming:
believe has actually grown on me quite a bit. Sure, it's a run-of-the-mill kala song and Wakana sounds bored af in the studio version, but I like the melody and arrangement of it quite a bit. It has a really cool vibraphone(?) sound in the verses, and also has really rich harmonies. Also the chorus has my favorite chord progression (i-VI-VII-III) so I'm bound to like it :XD:

who knows I may be biased cause believe was the first single that released when I started listening to kala

Reactions: aki

Spirica Rose

Parallel Heart
There's a couple songs on the setlist that I'm not the fondest of and would have preferred Mata Kaze ga and sandpiper to be somewhere in there, but otherwise I love how the voting turned out! Lirica was the number one song I wanted to be sung and now we'll (most likely) have a live video to go with it. I wanna see Keiko's Kajiurago solo. :love:

I found it interesting the lack of album-only songs being voted into the setlist. Only 4 made it (Ongaku, Natsu no Ringo, red moon, and Eden symphonia) and none of which were from consolation or fotw.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Seasonreaper

Eden? Do you mean Symphonia?

Yeah I'd have switched Mirai for Sandpiper and HB for Matakaze in an instant. Maybe they didn't want to make it so perfect that nobody would ever come back.

Spirica Rose

Parallel Heart
Eden? Do you mean Symphonia?

Yeah I'd have switched Mirai for Sandpiper and HB for Matakaze in an instant. Maybe they didn't want to make it so perfect that nobody would ever come back.
That's what I get for making that post at 6am. :...: Yes, I meant symphonia, not Eden.

LianaIlia36

I have reached Yuki nirvana
I like believe too. True, not the best song, but I like it more than HB, though HB is enjoyable live. I stand by the statement of the lives are different than in concert. Even the audio for Anime Chicago was different, but that was to be expected. They have issues, but usually quickly resolve it. Ooooh Natsu was there. I missed it. Lol So many good songs! Ugh. I am so bummed I missed it. And not being able to meet so many of you. But I am glad for those that came and can report. I hope for a release too! I am sure, since this is such an important live. I love I have a dream and Tsuioku so much, but at least we got them performed before. Tsuioku could be more though. Heh I am glad Wakana was able to do lirica well. I love that song so much too. I do agree that Magia has been there too long, and HB, but I guess it's okay. I like blaze but One Light is kind of meh and Hikaru has a hard time on it live. So I am glad for the other songs. Anyways, I hope they like our book, I am sure they will. And Yuki going past your friend Megy? OMG! I would have fainted. I met her in Boston and could barely say thank you. Haha

P

Puddle Boots

@Squall Leonhart from the moment they started singing in "ring your bell", I heard a difference. I was definitely naive to think that they ACTUALLY sounded like the DVD releases in their lives.
It's true, I heard a lot of flat notes, both at Budoukan and also at the acoustic live I attended last year. This surprised me a lot, not only because I'd been similarly naive, believing that they could perform perfectly or near-perfectly, but because I believed that having witnessed it. In the entire Mexico City live there was just one flat note, and I don't remember hearing a single pitch problem at Anime Central in 2013. So part of me wonders if it's getting worse... though I don't see how that's possible. It kind of hurts my soul though, since I look up to them so much as a musician.

As for the setlist, though I have my favorites, there is no Kalafina song that I dislike, and not even one I think is boring. I was very surprised to hear Lirica and Yane no Mukou ni though, since I wasn't aware that they were very popular at all. I was even more shocked, however, at the absence of Magia. I was convinced that Kalafina would never sing another live without singing Magia. But you would think, wouldn't you, that if its absence were due to everyone's being tired of it, that oblivious never would have made second place. My vote, Gloria, unfortunately didn't even make it into the top 100 (I don't think...) but that's OK, it was a wonderful concert, though to be honest, I still don't think it was quite as good as Mexico City, that one would be hard to beat.

Oh, also, I like believe as well (obviously, from what I said above). The shift from 巡り来る時の中で出会った君といた僕を信じている to 過ぎて行く時の中で出会った変わりゆく僕を信じている gets me every time.

Oh! And forgive me for not reading the entire thread, if this has already been resolved, but the concert was definitely recorded. In the pamphlet there's a list of credits for live staff, and there are three people credited with recording the event.

Last edited by a moderator:
K

Kirito

What's really weird to me is that Kalafina is almost pitch perfect singing OTHER PEOPLE's songs, but not their own unless it's acapella.

Maybe they should switch from doing their own songs to being a cover group if it means they sound better live lol

S

sutekinanijinoiro

I really wish Yuki would’ve been there...I was secretly hoping she’d pop out and play the piano for some of their ballads. Or even having Yuriko do back up vocals. It was definitely a Back to Basics theme which I enjoyed but apart of me wanted it to be a huge festival with all the bells and whistles. Maybe the 15th anniversary lol
but she was there? at the second floor
only part of the audience tho. welp (: