「FictionJunction 2010-2013 The BEST of Yuki Kajiura LIVE 2」on June 3

Overall, I liked it more than I thought I was going to.

Crush: I like the heavier drumming, and the new piano and flute bits.

Frenetic: I thought I wasn't going to like it because no Hanae, but I actually enjoyed it. The beginning makes me want more Kaori kajiurago. I also didn't mind Wakana singing the bridge with her normal voice since it’s her old voice. The only thing I didn't like was the transition from bridge to verse.

Himitsu: No keyboard solo! Other than that, pretty good.

Sweet memories: Drumming is a little odd at first, but I got used it.

Hepatica: My sweet Eri. Loved the way she sang it in the repetition. Too bad it’s not the full version, but I guess they need at least a quartet for it to sound good.

Godsibb: Eri’s voice comes and goes in some parts. Is it a sound issue? Other than that, I like the little differences she added to her singing.

A song…: I prefer the vol. 2 performance. The “choir” part sounds better than in Vol. 2, I think.

Ring: your song: Again, the little differences in Eri’s performance.

Eleanore: I didn’t know it was a different arrangement from vol. 11. It’s pretty sweet.

Madlax mix: Still butthurt over no flute solo.

Secret game: NO KASAHARA. Not bad, but too similar to Himitsu.

Maze: NO KASAHARAAAAA. I usually skip it when I listen to the OST, but this sounds like a fun performance. I would like to see video of it.

Canta per me: didn’t like the transition SFX. Yuriko’s voice does sound odd, especially during the verse.

Salva nos: finally, KASAHARA. I prefer this performance over the original. I just wish it had a different violin solo. Oh, and I really like FJ’s DOMINUS DEUS MISERERE at the end.

Where the lights…: Really sweet. I was afraid Wakana had sung it using her normal voice, like Paradise Regained, but nope! It’s also her old voice, so it’s all good.

The beginning of…: ERI! Nice extra flute.

The battle is…: Hanae sounds like she’s struggling to reach her notes.

Satoyama: I love the whole thing. The only thing I didn’t like was the drumming towards the end.

Credens: Muh Eri. I wish she had also sung the bridge. Also, hue, Hanae’s voice isn’t even audible.

The mercy; first love; carnival; gonna groove: all perfect! This is why I wanted the whole third disc dedicated to the instrumental special (and also because of moa Eri).

Moonflower: ERI! It sounds exactly like I imagined hue.

Point zero: a lot better than expected. I like that Yuri also sang with FJChoir instead of just her parts. It really does need a performance with at least the quartet. And while it sounds good with 5 singers, Eri, Hanae, and Remi should’ve joined them. Maybe in vol. 12?

Rainbow theme: Really nice. Really good fit for Remi’s voice. I’m trying to transcribe the lyrics. I’ll post them in the lyrics section.

Luminous Sword: Remi sounds kinda weird here. For a moment I thought Kaori was the one singing at the beginning.

Voices silently sing: ERI!~ I agree with grunty that there’s too much vibrato. Other than that, pretty good arrangement.

Once upon…: EERRII! I like that she combined it with ring your song. It does sound odd without the sound grunty mentioned, but I still loved it.

Alone: !IRE. No flute solo!

Bloody rabbit: OST with FJ doing all vocals when? I didn’t expect Wakana to sing like that in the bridge. I didn’t mind it though, it fits the song.

Contractor: ERRRI! Didn’t like the new vocals, it kinda makes the song more repetitive.

Za warudo: pretty good. Emily’s voice was perfect here. I agree with grunty that the end wasn’t as good as vol. 2. It actually sounds pretty subdued Also, the guitar solo was weak.

Fake wings: Emily started out fine, but the “keep your eyes on me” was messy.

Open your heart: Loved the new kajiurago, especially Kasahara’s. Emily’s voice cracked during one “open your heart”, but she was mostly fine. Yuuka used too much vibrato. Everyone else was pretty good. I really liked the accordion, flute, and synth solos. I really want video of this performance.

Is it obvious I like Eri? huehue

More like she pays more attention to the Japanese fanbase.
I don't know about this. Didn't she say she was surprised to get a standing ovation on that day? It sounded like she didn't realize people want to hear her non-vocal tracks.

Nice review by the way. I also love Eri.

that canta per me performance though :o
reminds me of yuriko singing that jr. version from xenosaga II ost

Personally, I find Open your Heart to be absolutely terrible. As far as I'm concern, the song come off as completely scatter and dysfunctional. It has no focus whatsoever. It would have been better had they just stuck to Remi, Eri, Hanae, Emily, and Yuri. Furthermore, it devolve into one up competition between them. I don't consider even with Yuuka or someone else stringing the song properly, can salvage what it is being done now. It comes off as very last minute....if you ask me.
George: Open your Heart :I find that nitpick pretty tiny if you ask me:glower::glower:. Furthermore, encore songs, simply having everyone sing a solo is unnecessary. For it brings more trouble than it worth, by ruining the tone, emphasis, and so forth. Sticking to the chorus, is far better and doesn't cause as much trouble.

Also, Open your heart, as a song isn't good enough as a encore song. It is better as mid transition song, but as encore it is quite bad. It isn't catchy enough. There is also the issue there isn't much of tone to it. Encores song have a tone one way or another. It can't be just there for being there. Otherwise, it doesn't feel as if it is getting nail down to the ground when comes to ending the live.

Last edited by a moderator:
did Hanae even sing in credens @Kowz? I don't think so.

That's what Tou's report said. Although it might have been in a different day.

I don't know about this. Didn't she say she was surprised to get a standing ovation on that day? It sounded like she didn't realize people want to hear her non-vocal tracks.

And well deserved just based on the 5 tracks we got.

Well, I actually meant she pays more attention to the Japanese fanbase in general, including Kalafina.
open your heart: Loved the intro, was that Remi ? Emily sounds good here.
Wow, Kasahara! Then Emily again and FJ chorus :D Accordion! Remi seems to sing the italian pretty well. Wtf is the studio sound at 4:00 ?! keyboard ? I think "open your heart" is a better closing song than "angel gate" since its repeatitive so it give chance to all to sing.

The order is:
Hanae > Eri > Emily > Hikaru > Yuri > Emily, FJ > Remi > Asuka > Emily, everyone else, and Yuuka > Kaori, all

The order is:
Hanae > Eri > Emily > Hikaru > Yuri > Emily, FJ > Remi > Asuka > Emily, everyone else, and Yuuka > Kaori, all

The structure is pretty bad. They need Yuuka, Eri, Hanae as the main leaders. Yuri. Emily, Hikaru, Remi, Kaori can work in between in the lines. FJ and Asuka can go anywhere. The all parts has to be eliminated completely from the song. Instead of all, mini-group are a better choice to do here. It could be way better. All in all, that is my thoughts on it. I doubt I'll play this song ever again.

Oh... I don't like Emily's voice so much! Keiko was much more better in the world, Kaori in open your heart. Acordion is really nice in open your heart.

I like the most:
Carnival in the blue
the mercy of nature
distance
heigen
maze (so great!)
ring your song (so beautiful)

The structure is pretty bad. They need Yuuka, Eri, Hanae as the main leaders. Yuri. Emily, Hikaru, Remi, Kaori can work in between in the lines. FJ and Asuka can go anywhere. The all parts has to be eliminated completely from the song. Instead of all, mini-group are a better choice to do here. It could be way better. All in all, that is my thoughts on it. I doubt I'll play this song ever again.
I like how Hikaru was actually quite powerful here (I didn't even recognize it was her until someone pointed it out). A lot better than Emily, at least. And Asuka sounds just like Yuuka hahaha. And Yuri is just awesome.

I personally don't like Eri's normal voice unless there's a filter. I much prefer Hanae, Yuriko, Yuri and Remi to do the kajiurago. Alone sounds ehh because of her. In Contractor she's much better.

Oh... I don't like Emily's voice so much! Keiko was much more better in the world, Kaori in open your heart. Acordion is really nice in open your heart.

I like the most:
Carnival in the blue
the mercy of nature
distance
heigen
maze (so great!)
ring your song (so beautiful)

Emily's voice has changed from ageing. I suggest you to compare her performances here with the Yuki Kajiura at AnimeExpo 2004 ones .

They managed to fix Itou Eri's messing up of the first line lyrics in Once upon a time.

Amazing. lol

Whoever receives their copy first, I'd be interested to know if they include full lyrics on a sheet or booklet like the first live CD set did.

Oh... I don't like Emily's voice so much! Keiko was much more better in the world,
I kindly disagree, again. :) Perhaps I'm biased but based on vol#2 I don't think Keiko "gets" the song. I mean, to me it's not a "pop" song and she sang it as one.

And you know Keiko is my 2nd favorite in FJ. ;p

my review :

I enjoyed Distance and stone cold and I usually don't. I tried to pick up Keiko's voice all throughout...
Uta is actually really nice but Asuka's voice is just big no for me. If you skip to the end, there's a pleasant instrumental/chorus part. Yasashii Yoake's drumming at the beginning is not so good...I prefer Chiaki's voice (which I don't usually enjoy).

Point Zero is very well done, the playback doesn't sound so jarring either. Let stars fall down was a bigg let down, there is something wrong about Hanae's voice. vol9 was muuuuch better and drumming seems a bit off imo.

I thought Remi in Rainbow was spot on! I enjoyed it very much. Luminous sword is ok but the percussion feels a bit strange. Less percussion and more voice would have been better. Historia is nice.
voices silently sing was soso good. once upon a time there was you and me was good but I prefer the original.
Alone + Bloody Rabbit Eri + Keiko works..!

Eri in Contractor is a no here. Her voice is scratchily bad. Keiko's was much better. Emily Bindiger does indeed DIE in fake wings. it's abysmal. She's better in the world, it's nothing new and I enjoy Keiko's intro to the song way more than Emily's (maybe because Emily sucks here). I just can't enjoy sweet song with Kaori as the lead, I'm sorry. open your heart, a good concept, bad melody, cheap muffling of voices and instruments the whole things feels like a big lump.

lotus, E.G.O and heigen were good. Keiko in I swear...

The beginning to the end was really nice imo. What happened to you, Hanae!! in battle to the strong.. the guitar feels a bit strange too here. Satoyama main theme was sublime though. Credens justitiam and maybe tomorrow were meh. Keiko in maybe tomorrow was great again (we have to practice that accent tho). I prefer the original Hikari no yukue.
Gin no Hashi was good too.

Sweet memories, Mercy of nature, first love, we're gonna groove, carnival in blue, Crush are simply the proof that we NEED them soundtrack specials!

I prefer Yuri in moonflower but it wasn't too bad with Eri. I enjoyed Wakana in paradise regained as well.

Hanae in frenetic is much better but Wakana pulled it off in her own way I think. Interesting. The latter part has Keiko and Yuriko backing up Wakana which is wonderful. Himitsu is really good too.

I prefer hepatica-KOSMOS but hepatica was nice (tho Eri missed it a few times! which can be disturbing). Same for godsibb and a song of storm and fire and ring your song (Eri shines in this song tho; +the engrish needs trimming).

Toki No Mukou Maboroshi No Sora you know. I love Kajiura in elenore, madlax mix and cazador del amor but not Yuuka. I just can't get used to her voice. I don't usually enjoy Kaori's voice but winter's a very calming song. I enjoyed secret game and maze (more so).

Yuriko in canta per me ? What in blazes? Salva nos ah...superduper; so good.
Wakana in where the lights are was surprisingly good.

TL;DR : very nice. I expected KnK themes too but whatever, it's a surprise that we got even these!
The star, imo, was Yuri. Yuriko and Hanae two of my favs, couldn't make it by far.. Wakana was good here which is comforting. I don't find Eri's voice fitting to some of her songs, but she was really good in these.
In the end the obvious fact is that the soundtrack specials are nothing short of amazing.
and more of Keiko please.

^ agreed about the Yuri part. I'm only up to salva nos but holy moly, that power! Blew me straight out of the water :omg: Unfortunately I think that means I can't go back to listening to the FJ only version with the same level of enjoyment :spotlight:

EDIT: where the lights also just popped on - aaaayyyeee Wakana, you still got it! That was absolutely beautiful +stunning :love:

^ agreed about the Yuri part. I'm only up to salva nos but holy moly, that power! Blew me straight out of the water :omg: Unfortunately I think that means I can't go back to listening to the FJ only version with the same level of enjoyment :spotlight:

EDIT: where the lights also just popped on - aaaayyyeee Wakana, you still got it! That was absolutely beautiful +stunning :love:
Where the lights are was a really pleasant surprise. Unfortunately, it was also from an earlier live. Otherwise, I 'd like to think she would have used that same voice for Paradise Regained.

:w00t: I was really looking forward to Satoyama Main Theme all this time, it didn't disappoint :love: I was mostly ecstatic on the last part of the song when the Hanae let out a really beautiful soprano voice and came the barrage of intsrumentals~

Really good Uta cover too. IMHO, ASUKA fits the really old songs of see-saw (before Dream FIeld era). Point Zero :love: my favorite vocal track from F/Z~
I was really surprise at first when they included those two songs performed by REMI. Rainbow main theme has always been a favorite of mine along with the other KOKIA track from TWFS (although I prefer the latter kokia song). As for Luminous sword, this sounds better than the four-voice version of FJ hey~ Glad to listen to Remi and Kaori again since their sound horizon performances. Hopefully, these two will get to perform again together on the upcoming YK vol. 12.

Surprisingly, Bloody Rabbit performance is really powerful :love: As for contractor, the added lines are not okay for me since I really like listening to that instrumental part where they added the new lines. And yes, it sounded repetitive too. Was really distracted with eri's<?> vibrato at some point but it wasn't bad or something; just something you don't usually hear.

As for the other songs, they are equally good~ :)

I was really excited to hear The World live without a Japanese accent, so it's the first thing I did when I got home (couldn't do it last night because it finished while I was sleeping)

but... it's just okay. Vol 2 is better even with the accent.
Dreams crushed haha

But carnival in blue is one of my favorite instrumentals and there's still plenty of stuff I'm looking forward to hearing, so I hope I have fun with this!

Back