Yuki Kajiura Birthday Project 2012

Ok...Before all of us get no where, here are the issues we need to address at the moment:

• Establish workflow model
  • Establish key appointment holders based on workflow (presumably to assist mainly as coordinators/editors/integrators at this point)
  • Establish detailed project timeline and key deadlines to meet
  • Finalise budgeting

The above should be more than enough to give an abstract outline to the magazine we're going to work towards, including the style and rough direction of the contents we should work towards.

Ideally, let's get this done by the middle of next week (I won't be physically around by then) so we can start receiving submissions as soon as possible?

From my personal experience, we should all aim to stop receiving submissions by the end of the first week of July so that the editors/integrators can have enough time to put everything together. Also, we should aim to have the final draft printed and bound by the 15th of July if it's not being done in Japan, or 29th of July if it is.

We should then endeavour to send it off on the next available working day to that it would reach Yuki in time.

So, as you can see, time is of essence already. Let's get this going, guys!

^Special_K: CEO of the bday project 2012 lol

Is the magazine going to be a hard or digital copy? I think it would be nice if we could get a hard copy to her, but it would be hard to do it by the end of June, since we would have to send it to someone who is going to the con. *sigh*

^I guess it was agreed to not deliver it so earlier than her actual birthday, so it won't be given to her at AX.

^ exactly, unfortunately we dont have enough time until end of June, so it goes for August.

@Sp K: First of all, before the things you methion, we need to decide what exactly the magazine (eg: one will write about various of his/her country's traditional foods, or for just one, and will there be recipe or not, the photos will be our own or we can put some from the internet [guess those are copyrighted however], also the food we are going to describe will be of our making or we can take pictures form restaurants etc? ) will be containing, see how many people are going to participate and after that decide how many pages its going to be, based on the amount of content these members will be able to submit.

What's the "workflow mode? :confu: stop trying to sound professional and speak in a understandable-by-all vocabulary :XD:

^yeah, then someone could maybe do animations, like the pages could actually turn when she clicks on them. Just a thought.

Re:

george1234 said:
@Sp K: First of all, before the things you methion, we need to decide what exactly the magazine will be containing, see how many people are going to participate and after that decide how many pages its going to be, based on the amount of content these members will be able to submit.

What's the "workflow mode? :confu: stop trying to sound professional and speak in a understandable-by-all vocabulary :XD:

Ehh?? I thought those were pretty easy to understand! :XD: :XD:

OK....There's no need to worry specifically about the specifics of the content because a good workflow will actually cover those bases well during the planning phase. The tasks are then distributed/delegated by content section to be iteratively worked on concurrently (so as to save time) before they are integrated into the final product, which is then collectively vetted and approved before being sent off to be printed and delivered.

Simply put: I'm thinking in terms of "teams" working on a different aspect/area/article/section of the magazine. And the content will be well decided upon even before we split everything up. (Eg. Team A will work on a certain article, and Team B will be doing another one with a different set of submission/content requirements.)

Because we are working in teams, it is possible to first nominate some people (or have members volunteer themselves for the task) to be section "chiefs" to help coordinate the collaborative effort and come up with ideas for each submission. The "chiefs" will also have the liberty to choose the direction/style (within the predefined limits) of the article written.

(Members will still have free will to submit their works to whichever sections they feel are most relevant to them. Also, because of time constraints, we definitely cannot afford to wait and see how many are going to participate - someone will have to take action first. In the event that this project does not receive submissions beyond the number of active members posting in this thread, then the ones who are already active on this project will get to write/contribute more.)

I cannot stress enough the issue of time here, which is why I'm trying to push for a quick conclusion to getting all the content as well as the workflow up and running so that everyone is on the same page (Bad pun! Sorry! :P) and knows what he/she is doing!

Liana_Ilia said:
^Special_K: CEO of the bday project 2012 lol

:XD:

Nah.... I'm just giving my input based on my previous experience writing for collaborative (in-house) magazines. For some reason, they are also working with similar time pressures we have on our hands.

@SP_K: ^ We still need to see how many people will participate in order to create the "teams" because they will consist of these people^.

@Liana: That requires digital copy.

Re:

george1234 said:
@SP_K: ^ We still need to see how many people will participate in order to create the "teams" because they will consist of these people^.

Yes, but we definitely can't wait indefinitely.

Given the kind of time frame we are working towards, the best we can do is to first get some structure going, make an announcement about it, and then let the pieces fall into place as we go along.

If we wait and we don't have any more members willing to contribute, we would run the risk of not having anything to submit by August.

george, i can work on arranging the pics as usual :XD:

just like the last project :hero:

@George: Skeleton first.

A few of us to come up with titles and the rough content/direction they are going to use in the mag. These members should be able to take ownership of their suggestions and help steer the rest of the contributions along.

On that note, if we can get something like 8 to 12 articles going (at least 3 of which are feature-length ones), we are going have ourselves quite a substantial amount of content to be used in the magazine.

The rest of us can help to vet whether if the proposed articles are suitable for print or not!

Some of the "standard templates" we can follow:

Introductory blurb/editor's message
Feature-length articles (a few of, mostly member compilations)
short articles like individual recipes (number: individual submissions)
restaurant/food reviews (number: individual submissions)
letters to YK (1 to 2 pages: needs only an editor)
editorials (few pages: individual contributions)

As you can see, there are going to be many places where people can contribute! (not just in writing recipes)

We'll also just adaptively "grow" the number of articles/members as per the submissions until we hit our ceiling/cap!

I can submit a recipe or two and take my own pictures :innocent:
I'm currently trying to think of whether I should find a recipe that is local or just choose one I make a lot
But I'm not going to volunteer myself for any of the editing positions because I'm not good at that because I'll be gone all July

I'm not sure if I can help in any way, but I want to do something for Yuki-megami too. :shy:
Maybe arranging the pics too? I have limited skills in PS
As for food, I can't think of anything I would recommend :blood: Almost everything has meat in it, some dishes are tasty, but they look awful... for me at least :leaf:

Back