Vocal Discussion of Yuki's Singers

This is just a random question out of curiosity, but on one of the LisAni vids where it showed Kala recording and rehearsing TTB, I noticed that during rehearsal Wakana wore her corset over their normal clothes whilst rehearsing. That led me to wonder –
a) are their corsets actually real and tight, or are they more ‘fake’ corsets that are more for the look and
b) if they are real corsets, does it affect singing? In other words, does wearing at tight corset that constricts your abdomen make singing harder (or easier), hence the need to have some time rehearsing in a corset and adjusting to that?

Or on the other hand does it have nothing to do with anything and in the video Wakana just happened to be wearing it casually…with normal clothes…? :confu: :XD:

I'm not sure - It would be pretty dumb to have real corsets, as surely they would restrict you breathing. Add the fact that they need to be active on stage, with hot lights shining down on them. I'd see it as a recipe for disaster. I'm a guy - so I've never actually experienced wearing one and probably never will.

:XD:

They're probably pretty tight, fake or not, it's still a corset anyway :XD:

I heard all of Seventh Heaven the other day, for the first time, as well as To the Beginning. I've now heard everything Kalafina has released, which makes me sad, in a way.

:cry:

Seventh Heaven is a really good album. The "spectral reverb backing chorus" is awesome, and to me is the definitive Kalafina sound. I hope that Yuki Kajiura doesn't stop using the effect, now that Kalafina's focus is on songs they can sing live. There were a couple of tracks on the album that I wasn't fussed with, but all in all, it's a pretty good collection!

Ashita no Keshiki - I've not heard enough love for this song. While I don't like the chorus and overall development, Wakana solo parts are beautiful. It has to be one of the nicest melodies Yuki Kajiura has ever written - it's so different to everything else she's composed! I just LOVE that first minute or so, plus the ending. Wakana's voice is wonderful - not just on this song, but the whole album; +1 Wakana fan.

However, I'm not a fan of To the Beginning. For me, it's a little uninspired and doesn't have the instant hook that so many YK tracks deliver. Its hook is OK, but for a big single, it's a little bit generic, in my opinion. I love the first 6 seconds though - I wish that short intro was longer! Also, do I have a really low quality mp3 or is the quality of the track noticeably poorer than usual. I felt the voices didn't have the silky smoothness I've come to expect - especially Wakana, who sounds quite sharp. Whether that be due to the song itself, the mix, the recording process or my mp3, I'm not sure. Is it just me who thinks this?

Manten is quite cool. I prefer it to TTB, but I still have a complaint! There is a part during the instrumental section with a great sounding guitar, but it's totally buried in the mix! I wish they'd let Korenaga Kiochi take centre-stage at that point, instead of just using the guitar as a highlight.

On the subject of Seventh Heaven - Maya was present for that album, correct? I could clearly hear Hikaru, Keiko and Wakana, but rarely did I pick up on another voice. Was she simply used to buff up the backing vocals? She MIGHT have had a solo on Kimi ga Hikari ni Kaete Iku, but I honestly couldn't tell.

Maya's departure from Kalafina could very well just be down to her studies, but it's interesting to note that of the four singers, she had the least prominent/individual voice? You have Wakana, the silky smooth soprano, and Hikaru, who has a very sharp, raw and powerful tone - A total contrast to Wakana. Then you have Keiko, the Alto, who provides the foundation for most of Kalafina's vocal parts and is totally different from the other two. Sounds like a pretty killer combination - Where did Maya fit into this?

All in all, Red Moon is my favourite Kalafina album. I just love those songs.

:shy:

On the subject of Seventh Heaven - Maya was present for that album, correct? I could clearly hear Hikaru, Keiko and Wakana, but rarely did I pick up on another voice. Was she simply used to buff up the backing vocals? She MIGHT have had a solo on Kimi ga Hikari ni Kaete Iku, but I honestly couldn't tell.

She only sings in Sprinter.
She sings:

>bokura ni dekiru koto wa tada ikiteirunda to... etc etc
>I'm calling your nameeeeeeee (in the background)
>konna karakuri no kokoro ni mo afuredasu hodo tsumatteitanda
>kimi ni aitai, kimi ga koishii, kimi ni aitai, kimi ga itoshii

She also sings the kajiurago in the live version of Kizuato from YKLive 02, and various parts of ARIA.

Re:

Kowz said:

She only sings in Sprinter.
She sings:

>bokura ni dekiru koto wa tada ikiteirunda to... etc etc
>I'm calling your nameeeeeeee (in the background)
>konna karakuri no kokoro ni mo afuredasu hodo tsumatteitanda
>kimi ni aitai, kimi ga koishii, kimi ni aitai, kimi ga itoshii

You're right! With a closer listen, I notice that it's her. She has a really good voice too - Kind of like a more balanced Hikaru.

^ Maya's voice always sounded to me like Hikaru's tone +Wakana's texture - a really nice voice that's soooo pleasant on the ears. :shy: I have a sneaking suspicion that if she hadn't left, she would've taken the spot of my 2nd favourite voice
And yeah, I wish they'd perform Ashita no Keshiki more (or not more per se - rather, I wish they'd record it so we can see it. as well as lirica, Utsukushisa, Seventh Heaven, serenato... :leaf:

Seventh Heaven just edges out as my favourite Kala album :shy: followed extremely closely by Red Moon and After Eden. Most of my favourite songs are from SH, even though I listened to Red Moon before. If Kalafina ever had a signature song, I think it'd be from SH in fact, I would say the song Seventh Heaven itself, rather than perhaps, e.g. oblivious or sprinter etc. could be their signature song if they performed it more often, since it shows off the amazing vocals of all 3 of them equally and it's so powerful, majestic and "Kalafina-y" And to be completely honest, I think Wakana's voice sounds better on SH and Red Moon than After Eden, but I think Hikaru sounds her best in After Eden, whilst Keiko maintains a consistently great sound throughout all of the albums (I like her solos in After Eden the best, though...Mune no Yukue and Symphonia... :dote: )

As for TTB, I think Wakana struggles to maintain smoothness because it's not only quite high and challenges even her range, but is also fast-paced, and I've noticed that faster songs aren't necessarily her forte. That seems to be more Hikaru or Keiko's domain. But then I guess those killer high notes are Wakana's thing. It's cos Kajiura writes such formidable songs to sing :hero: :goodjob:

I think Wakana's voice sounds better on SH and Red Moon than After Eden

Yes, I think so too. The sound of her voice is just right on those two albums, to the point where I could easily fall asleep listening to her.

:desksweat: zzz

Re:

I've noticed that faster songs aren't necessarily her forte. That seems to be more Hikaru or Keiko's domain.

You know, while I completely agree with the fact that Wakana obviously struggles with anything fast-paced, I just can't resist how she sings those parts.

I'm positively head over heels for her trying to sing with a higher tempo. My soul almost left my body during her solo in Moonfesta...
tumblr_lw9rqb6QKy1qbjq43.gif
tumblr_lw9rm6NqrL1qbjq43.gif

Re:

Mwhlr said:
Yes, I think so too. The sound of her voice is just right on those two albums, to the point where I could easily fall asleep listening to her.

:desksweat: zzz
:omg:

She never puts me too sleep no matter how slow the song is.

^ I think he means her voice is more pleasant than it is now, which I completely agree with. In modern performances, especially live, she can sometimes sound either strained or weak depending on the part she's singing.

^ I agree that she's straining herself, it feels like it's hard for her to reach the high notes when looking at her.. Don't mind my reaction ^_^

I swear, this thread just goes in cycles... we've somehow managed to effortlessly segue back into Wakana's voice. Next it'll be edited lives and autotune! :psst:

Don't get me wrong though, I still think her voices is really good in the likes of the AE special live. She sings Snow Falling and such really well.

^ lol, I think it's because it's the biggest prevailing issue to talk about...well, for a change of topic, let's talk about something else!

Is Yuuka a soprano or mezzo, do you guys think? :confu: (and Kaori would be considered a mezzo...right?)

Is a 'pop' soprano different to an 'operatic' soprano in terms of range? Is it a bit lower? (Cos I know opera sopranos can hit CRAZY high notes :omg: )

And, finally, when we're talking about a singer's range, do we include how high they can go in their falsetto voice as well as their normal voice when considering what their range is? :confu:

(Say, for example, if a singer had an alto-ranged normal or chest voice, but their falsetto could reach into soprano range - would they be considered an alto or soprano?)

:ayashii:

Re:

SUPER EDIT!!!

Cerise said:
Is Yuuka a soprano or mezzo, do you guys think? :confu: (and Kaori would be considered a mezzo...right?)

I'm not an authority on voices at all, but I'd say Yuuka is a mezzo soprano.

Is a 'pop' soprano different to an 'operatic' soprano in terms of range? Is it a bit lower? (Cos I know opera sopranos can hit CRAZY high notes :omg: )

In terms of vocal range, there isn't a separate classification for a none classical singer. The ranges stay the same. However, other than when referring to vocal range, a pop singer can't be a true soprano etc. Those classifications are specific to those who have undergone classical training, as it develops the voice in such a huge way. Apparently, the vocal timbre (tone) of an operatic singer is not something that can develop naturally, but develops through training.

And, finally, when we're talking about a singer's range, do we include how high they can go in their falsetto voice as well as their normal voice when considering what their range is? :confu:

(Say, for example, if a singer had an alto-ranged normal or chest voice, but their falsetto could reach into soprano range - would they be considered an alto or soprano?)

From what Wikipedia has told me, falsetto is a weird one. Traditionally, it's the register used by male countertenors (they had operations to prevent their voices from breaking - kind of creepy!) to sing alto (second highest part of a chorale piece) or soprano lines. It has a wider usage now though. I'd probably say that falsetto isn't included when working out a singers vocal range - just what they can reach naturally.

^ Yeah, I'd definitely second the idea that Yuuka is a high mezzo soprano...
But I'm not an expert on musical theory in any stretch of the imagination, so I'm not sure my opinion counts for much.

Also, isn't it a contralto rather than an alto?
tumblr_lw9ruu1W831qbjq43.jpg
I was under the impression that the word alto refers to the notes sung in a song by the vocalist, rather than the vocalist's actual vocal classification.

Re:

Kobalos said:
^ Yeah, I'd definitely second the idea that Yuuka is a high mezzo soprano...
But I'm not an expert on musical theory in any stretch of the imagination, so I'm not sure my opinion counts for much.

Also, isn't it a contralto rather than an alto?
tumblr_lw9ruu1W831qbjq43.jpg
I was under the impression that the word alto refers to the notes sung in a song by the vocalist, rather than the vocalist's actual vocal classification.

When I took music in school, I was always taught that low female voices were Alto's, as choral music was broken down into 4 sections (SATB - Soprano Alto Tenor Bass). However, it turns out that those were the labels given to the PARTS of the music, not the actual singers singing them, so you seem to be right that the correct term for the lowest female voice is "Contralto". I stand corrected!

The word "Alto" (high), refers to the second highest part in a contrapuntal piece of music (contrapuntal basically means there are several parts interweaving independently with one another), hence SATB.

I found something very interesting which probably does well to answer Cerise's question. My answer was totally wrong, so I've edited it now with the right information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_clas ... ical_music

Read "Applying voice classification to non-classical singing"

It basically says that the different vocal classifications were made specifically with classical vocal training in mind, so while you can label non-classical singers as sopranos etc, it's only acceptable when referring to vocal ranges. The only way to become a proper soprano/mezzo etc is though classical training as it affects the very tone colour of the voice.

Technically speaking then, Wakana isn't a soprano, Hikaru isn't a mezzo-soprano and Keiko isn't a Contralto!

:XD:

It also says that true Contraltos, in terms of range, are rare. So Keiko is a special case, assuming her vocal range is in fact that of a Contralto (pretty sure it must be).

^ Huh. That's kinda interesting trivia to know, actually.
tumblr_lw9rtj0fYJ1qbjq43.gif

Expanding trivia: the operation for the older falsettos that you talked about was to have their testicles removed when they were younger so they could maintain their high falsetto-like voices.

My irrelevant trivia proves my knowledge of musical theory.
tumblr_lw9rwehJkV1qbjq43.gif

Interesting point here on contralto

Contralto: The lowest female voice being able to sing roughly between F3 (F below middle C) and E5, and possibly lower. Some very rare contraltos share a similar range to the tenor.

The only time Keiko has sung in that low range, if I recall correctly, is in Tetotetometome, where she reaches the E below middle C (E3 I guess). Otherwise she usually hits lows about the same as I can reach, or a little lower, like her Gs in Symphonia.
Not only that, but judging by her sound in Itokubo, her voice doesn't have to be deep and chocolatey all the time.
So do we really know she's a contralto, or is she just a mezzo-soprano with a very good range, like Chiaki, who can hit F3 herself but certainly doesn't have a deep voice imo? Perhaps she's boxed her voice into the deep sound in order to fix YK's specs.

Back