Vocal Discussion of Yuki's Singers

Re:

murrue02 said:
Thanks Varete!
Anyway, Justin Bieber songs used auto-tune too right?

Probably, although I'm not familiar with many of his songs. Looking some up would be a similar torture to waterboarding for me! I'd have nightmares!

:XD:

Re:

Varete said:
^Why are you thanking me? :confu:
LOL my mistake. typo error! I was suppose to thank Mwhlr but typed your name instead.

Mwhlr said:
Probably, although I'm not familiar with many of his songs. Looking some up would be a similar torture to waterboarding for me! I'd have nightmares!

Nightmare huh, I like that. Another thing I can think of is Korean girl and boy bands/group jumping on stage and abusing auto-tune.

Re: Re:

murrue02 said:
Nightmare huh, I like that. Another thing I can think of is Korean girl and boy bands/group jumping on stage and abusing auto-tune.

I think auto-tune is one of, if not thee, worst thing to happen to the music industry. When singers aren't actually required to sing in tune, something is horribly wrong.

Singing in tune!? Oh Mom! That's soooo last Wednesday, my gaawd! :psst:

to quote my friend, he said "kalafina losing its popularity againts a korean girlband who only jumping and dancing around and sing with auto tune"

:TdT:

lol :XD:

Mwhlr said:

Nightmare huh, I like that. Another thing I can think of is Korean girl and boy bands/group jumping on stage and abusing auto-tune.[/quote]

+100. Can Korean girl/boy band actually sing? I doubt it since they have almost 10 members in a "band".

^ Depends on the group. It's similar to AKB48 - there are members whose strength is vocals, and members whose strength is dancing (or looking pretty, haha).

Re:

ninetales said:
^ Depends on the group. It's similar to AKB48 - there are members whose strength is vocals, and members whose strength is dancing (or looking pretty, haha).

I think these bands need to start incorporating a "robot" member - that one who lacks all 3 of those factors. A clunky retro robot costume and the most aggressive auto-tune known to man = hilarity.

While Girl's Generation, or whoever, are dancing about, Gee-ing it up, the robot just stands there, slightly to the side of the back row, adding a totally auto-tuned drone underneath the singing and getting in everyone's way.

Am I the only one who finds this image slightly hilarious? :leaf:

Mwhlr said:
ninetales said:

I think these bands need to start incorporating a "robot" member - that one who lacks all 3 of those factors. A clunky retro robot costume and the most aggressive auto-tune known to man = hilarity.

While Girl's Generation, or whoever, are dancing about, Gee-ing it up, the robot just stands there, slightly to the side of the back row, adding a totally auto-tuned drone underneath the singing and getting in everyone's way.

Am I the only one who finds this image slightly hilarious? :leaf:

No. It's hard to take K-pop seriously.

Mwhlr said:
I think auto-tune is one of, if not thee, worst thing to happen to the music industry. When singers aren't actually required to sing in tune, something is horribly wrong.
I agree. No offense, but auto-tune and vocaloid systems, ugh I wish it didn't exist.

ZoaKaizer said:
to quote my friend, he said "kalafina losing its popularity againts a korean girlband who only jumping and dancing around and sing with auto tune"

LOL I always thought of Korean girl/boy band like that, the reason they're so many members is because they can't sing, so auto-tune does the job. Solo singing challenge :psst:
It's just sad that only a few appreciates the true essence of music, because most people will go for the looks and repetition of lyrics.

^ you can't help it. Music is an industry now, means it's all manufactured so it can be sold well.

Re:

murrue02 said:
Mwhlr said:
I agree. No offense, but auto-tune and vocaloid systems, ugh I wish it didn't exist.

ZoaKaizer said:

LOL I always thought of Korean girl/boy band like that, the reason they're so many members is because they can't sing, so auto-tune does the job. Solo singing challenge :psst:
It's just sad that only a few appreciates the true essence of music, because most people will go for the looks and repetition of lyrics.

I find lyrics repetition with annoying fake high-pitched sound really irritating. Which is why K-pop is such a huge turn off for me. And ironically, they're more famous than J-pop singers by creating a band with almost 10 members who can't sing well and abuses auto-tune.

Ophelia Arcana said:
I find lyrics repetition with annoying fake high-pitched sound really irritating. Which is why K-pop is such a huge turn off for me. And ironically, they're more famous than J-pop singers by creating a band with almost 10 members who can't sing well and abuses auto-tune.

And if that fails, bring on the short shorts!!! :nosebleed:

Mwhlr said:
Ophelia Arcana said:

And if that fails, bring on the short shorts!!! :nosebleed:

Don't forget miniskirts and trashy outfits and clown-like makeup.

^ I think you're grouping K-pop together a bit too much. I'm not a fan myself, but they're not all Britney Spears ripoffs.

Re:

ninetales said:
^ I think you're grouping K-pop together a bit too much. I'm not a fan myself, but they're not all Britney Spears ripoffs.

K-pop band just grow too fast. Like mushrooms blooming after the rain. I'm not saying all of them are like that. But the most popular ones usually are.

When I made my friend listen to fantasia, she thought that Wakana's solo part (starting with "namida no umi no naka he...") was autotuned...(which I denied rather vehemently, now that I think back on it... :ohoho: ) does anyone know if that part actually was? :confu: Or was it just the effect of some sort of filter or reverb on Wakana's voice that would've made her think so?

Re:

Cerise said:
When I made my friend listen to fantasia, she thought that Wakana's solo part (starting with "namida no umi no naka he...") was autotuned...(which I denied rather vehemently, now that I think back on it... :ohoho: ) does anyone know if that part actually was? :confu: Or was it just the effect of some sort of filter or reverb on Wakana's voice that would've made her think so?
Listening to it again, there's the 'beeping' pulsating synth and the guitar solo, but I think in terms of her vocal part there's just reverb and I think some delay/echo low in the mix too. I love that part of the song BTW...so full of tension!

There seems to be some sort of filtering used on Keiko's part in 'Ongaku' though...it's a flanging/phasing effect that gives her voice a swirling quality (I'm used to using effects on electric guitar and bass, but studying vocals in the same way helps me understand it!). Other than that, there are only a few instances of modulation/processing on the vocal tracks as far as I can tell, unless they're the backing/chorus parts. I've noticed Yuki uses reverb A LOT though. It gives a wonderfully huge sense of atmosphere and space, as though they're recording in a huge cathedral instead of a studio!

Ophelia Arcana said:
ninetales said:

K-pop band just grow too fast. Like mushrooms blooming after the rain. I'm not saying all of them are like that. But the most popular ones usually are.

Actually I'm agree with ninetales. I think we've been judging the K-pop singers too harsh. It's true that they're mostly lip-synching when they're singing their song when they're dancing, using their beauty to charm most of their fans, and not all of them can't sing well. In K-pop group, usually there are only 1 to 3 who REALLY can sing, and the rest are just for eye candy with their beauty or their dancing. But those who can sing DO really can sing well. It's true that their singing is horrible when they're singing and dancing at the same time, but when those who can really sing just singing and not dancing, their voice is actually really nice.

To be honest, I'm quite a fan of SNSD (that's because the only Korean girlband which has some members who really can sing well is them, and they're indeed the most popular one) and some of their member really can sing well live, when they're singing only and not dancing. I know that's it's not studio-magix or edited because it's on broadcasted live show, although I do agree that their songs are not really as difficult as Kajiura's song to sing.

I listen to Korean songs, well the ballad one with good arrangements, especially the string, but Kpop all boy/girl group is a big NO NO.

Ophelia Arcana said:
I agree with you, they multiply so fast, and they all have the same formula, they're just merchandise.

Back