New FictionJunction Album "Parade" (Release April 19, 2023) [MV out on YT!]

It's not unfair to use that album because I was addressing a post of Saber's, who had an "unpopular opinion" on that album. (And no, I was not trying to be a dick, it was just easier to use one set of songs as an example than singling out tracks from 80 Kalafina songs.)

To add to it, I was also responding to Saber saying that "not a single song since Kalafina's disbandment was half as interesting than your average Kalafina". I'm not even arguing that Kalafina had more diversity of songs across their entire run than PARADE - or even maybe all songs since Kalafina BUT outside of this album (and I guess wonderland), all post-Kalafina songs have been anime tieins and that comes with some level of generic that Kalafina absolutely objectively also shared and suffered from.
True, but Kalafina's "genericness" can attributed to most of their ufotable Fate tie-in (well, most tie-ins from ttb onwards), with the notable exception of Manten. Almost everything pre-to the beginning was an absolute homerun though, which is VERY rare for any artist, let alone one handled by a single composer. Far on the Water I'd say is an underappreciated album, the weakest parts are by far the tie-in songs, but Gogatsu no Mahou, Usumurasaki, Musunde Hiraku, Monochrome and Sorairu no Isu are as strong as any previous Kalafina song. Certainly more inspired than anything on Parade.

The "average Kalafina song" for me lies in the album-original material, because there's much more of it compared to their tie-ins, and all of them (even FotW) are B+ at worst (the ballads mostly), but generally fall in the A to S-tier (literally all of SH and RM, with AE and Consolation's Hikaru-led songs like Signal, DU and sandpiper).

We still wait for the full "fairy game" but it's certainly promising on the variety and quality meters.
I've heard this tossed around the forum but I have never found a version of it with just the song. The piano is very nice indeed, it's finally something different from what Kajiura usually does.

Edit: I guess I was in Sony mode and forgot "Taiyo no Kouro". I would also single it out in that post of mine above as a song I personally enjoy.
Well I didn't know this existed. I didn't keep up with Fena so this is a nice surprise. Verses are really nice, but I could do without JUNNA's delivery and the key change (that for some reason has to be in every Kajiura anison ever).

True, but Kalafina's "genericness" can attributed to most of their ufotable Fate tie-in (well, most tie-ins from ttb onwards), with the notable exception of Manten, like storia.
Manten was still a disjointed, keychange mess of a BGM arrange.
Almost everything pre-to the beginning was an absolute homerun though,
"To the beginning" was 2012 and discounting KNK (because we probably won't reach the flawlessness and consistency of those songs and Seventh Heaven - that is not an unpopular opinion among us, those who have stayed here post-Kalafina have been complaining about Kalafina's and Kajiura's "decline" for years), they had ?7 tie ins. Not everybody loves storia (speaking of disjointed), I have a dream (this one grew on me), Hoshi no Utai (I did), Kagayaku. Heck, I don't even care for Hikari no Senritsu that much with its 6minutes and 3 different bridges. So that leaves Lacrimosa and Magia, which I believe might be more generally well received. Again... I've listened to and enjoyed those few new songs I mentioned as much or more so I myself don't agree with your generic assesesment. ;P
Saber" post: 328430 said:
Far on the Water I'd say is an underappreciated album, the weakest parts are by far the tie-in songs, but Gogatsu no Mahou, Usumurasaki, Musunde Hiraku, Monochrome and Sorairu no Isu are as strong as any previous Kalafina song. Certainly more inspired than anything on Parade.
To you. So we can simply agree to disagree. I've listened to the album maybe three or four times since release, one being recently after your "unpopular opinion" post. You were also not just talking about PARADE in previous posts but all songs post-Kalafina.
You're allowed to your opinion. I, too, have a shit taste - just a different one. :P

The "average Kalafina song" for me lies in the album-original material, because there's much more of it compared to their tie-ins,
And again, we don't have much to go by with post-Kalafina non-tieins and you're comparing it to 50 Kalafina album/bside songs. It may be valid because I am not arguing that there have not been better Kalafina songs than PARADE, but certainly not fair when it comes to "your average Kalafina song" because there have been plenty of turds there, even without tie-ins.
I've heard this tossed around the forum but I have never found a version of it with just the song.
Because there isn't a clean one released as of yet and we lament that...
Well I didn't know this existed. I didn't keep up with Fena so this is a nice surprise.
Glad to be of help.

Maaan, posting on a phone is difficult.

Last edited:
Yakou Toryou is my fav so far. It's the only song I've had on replay and each time I like it more. Even though it does have a retro vibe, it just feels so fresh for current Kajiura. Helps that there are no strings too.

I'm not usually a fan of Kajiura's fictionjunction output, but this album was pretty solid for me—much better than elemental and far on the water.

wow talk about divisive opinions among fans.

I loved Koto no hoka yawarakai such a nice surprise, loved Yuriko at the end. the strings is yes rather samey but I didn't mind because the vocals surrounding it are very good.

of course I love Sore wa chiisana hikari no you na but I knew this already xD it's superb. which makes me mad. Keiko is so sidelined, and her solo work sucks (sorry but it does) because composition is nothing compared to what Kajiura has in store for her.

I don't care much about the other songs tbh. Either I don't like the vocals or the composition. Prologue could make a nice bgm in a movie. Yakou Toryou sounds interesting but i'm no fan of ASCA's voice.

I didn't dislike Parade actually, if I'm in the mood, I can let the song take me. Overall the album is underwhelming, are there gems ? yes. but literally two (for me at least).

as far as rating goes for me, other FJ albums are much better; they have some of the best, iconic songs carved in my memory but I don't see any songs from parade enjoying the same privilege in the future. (except those two songs)

Last edited:
Well, I’ve listened to the album twice, now! So I suppose it’s time to leave a review.

01: Prologue: Not Kajiura’s best overture track, but still really lovely. It’s kind of funny how, at one point, it’s almost like Wakana’s on the album. Yuriko/Joelle/Kaori REALLY sounded like they were emulating her, lol.

02: Koto no Hoka Yawarakai: This song sounds like about fifty different songs at once. And I absolutely love it! Usually this kind of combination song annoys me, but something here really works for me. It’s also probably the darkest sounding song on the album, which I very much appreciate. The vocals were phenomenal and listening to it is such a blast!

03: Yakō Toryō: I’m very fond of ASCA’s voice. I usually prefer her in her lower register, but her vocals in this song are infectiously fun! It’s very poppy and slightly retro, and I very much appreciate that. It wasn’t something that I expected from it, and I liked that! Also, I love the ‘Whoa’ part in the chorus.

04: Beginning: Still boring. Kaori’s work here is gorgeous, but the others sounded off for me for whatever reason. Not a fan.

05: Mou Kimi no Koto wo Mitakunai: Hmm. Rito’s voice is solid enough—a bit too nasal for my ears, but still decent—but the song is agonizingly boring. I like the arrangement, but the composition isn’t working for me at all.

06: Kai: I love it. A deeply emotional ballad is right up my alley, and Aimer was a perfect choice for the vocals. A part of me was worried that this song would disappoint me, since I’ve adored all of the previous Aimer & Kajiura collabs, but I should have known better. It’s so beautiful.

07: Sōkyū no Fanfare: Lol.

08: Hachigatsu no Organ: I don’t like LINO LEIA’s voice all that much. I’ve seen some people comparing it to Wakana’s but I really don’t agree. Her attempts at trying to be tonally emotional really clash with her nasal voice. This song probably has the highest chance of growing on me, though, as I think it’s overall a lovely composition. I just wish it had a different vocalist.

09: Sore wa Chiisana Hikari no You na: THE BEST SONG ON THE ALBUM! Keiko sounds fantastic, I love the new arrangement, the composition was already a favorite of mine, Yuriko and Kaori nail the added Kajiurago parts, and it’s just phenomenal all the way around. And I love the production on it, as well! Especially the part in the second verse where it sounds like a clock winding back time. It’s just such a lovely connection to Erased and I straight up gasped at it on my first listen. I love it so much.

10: From The Edge: I used to not like it very much, but it’s grown in me a lot through repeated listening. The second half of the verse sections is a bit weak, but the first half of them. I like LiSA’s voice, and the chorus, and the cello, and especially the use of motifs towards the end. An absolute jam!

11: Moonlight Melody: I hate it. I hate it I hate it I hate it I hate it I hate it. A great composition utterly annihilated by the vocal choices.

12: Sekai no Hate: Not gonna lie, I was a bit disappointed when I found out that Asuka was coming back for this album. It’s not because I have anything against her! But it’s because her voice reminds me of an earlier era. Because it reminds me of the Yuuka years that have long since past, and that just made me a bit sad, you know? But I think this song was an absolutely perfect choice to cover for this album. I love Asuka’s emotionality, and the piano is lovely. A great composition that really blew me away.

13: Parade: I like it. A part of me wishes the album ended with the last song, because I think it is a perfect way to commemorate Kajiura’s 30th anniversary, but I also understand that it needed to end with just a purely joyful song. With an ode to a bright future. I’m quite fond of it, even if it’s not a favorite of mine.

Overall, I quite enjoyed the album! There were some definite setbacks, but I feel like it was a great celebration of the last thirty years, and of what the future brings. A pretty strong album, all things considered!

Last edited:
Prologue: nice OP

Koto no Hoka Yawarakai: I love it. Kaori is awesome here! It's like Wonderland but I like it a lot more. I like Keiko's synth voice actually. And it is Hanae at the end. Gives me chills every time.

Yakō toryō: I'm still getting into this song. I like the chorus. I love ASCA's voice. I think the sfx take me out of the song a bit. Like they didn't need them. I hope they don't include it in the live.

Beginning: i love their cover more than Saeko's original. Keiko is just perfect. Joelle is lovely. I love her harmonies with Keiko. Then Kaori comes in really nicely. Doesn't force it. (She did a nice job in the live too.) Then Yuriko. I just wish Kore's guitar wasn't so loud during her part. Like why? Why isn't it like the live? Oh well.

Mō kimi no koto o mitakunai: I like her. I like Hikaru, and agree she sounds similar. But she has her own voice. The melody does get a little repetitive.

Kai: I love Aimer. I don't really care for this song. I love when the cello comes in. But if I need a relaxing song I may go back to it.

Sōkyū no fanfāre: like I saod before i like it, but yeah it does seem out of place.

Hachigatsu no orugan: i LOVE this song. I am so glad Lino's voice is the same live. It's pretty spot on.

Sore wa chīsana hikari no yōna: I loved this song live I think more than this version. It's still good.

from the edge: I wish they had used Homura instead.

Moonligh melody: pretty spot on again from the live. Nice.

Sekai no hate: it took me a few listens to like it. I love Asuka. It's a nice cover

Parade: A fav for sure. I love Joelle. This song gave me life after the 1st time hearing it in the MV. She really has a beautiful voice. Just listened to inside a dream again and she sounds so different here. I just love everything about it. And agree with George about it being a good closing song. And Keiko coming in in the bridge is just so... ahhh! I melt every time.

Overall probably an 8/10 for me. I also would have liked more OG songs, but the ones it had I liked. I mean with the main 4. I am looking forward to hearing them live. I did get my album as well on the release day. Going to watch the concert again.

I also forgot to say in Beginning when Keiko sings "story" the 1st time it always makes me smile. It's like she forgot how to say it, but it works. Lol

“Parade” super grew on me. Listening in the car, shower and while cooking on repeat.

“Kimi no parade… boku no parade..”

And Joelle’s “sora ni todoke” at the end

It’s super generic and cheesy, agree it’s very Saeko era.

But I’m hooked hahaha and keikos bridge with Yuriko is PURE LOVEEEE

Joelle’s voice grew on me here too!!!

I like the album much more than I thought I would. I'm a Yuki fan who has been yearning for an album full of mezames, stone colds, the worlds, and Parallel Hearts for about 20 years now, and I must finally accept the fact that that album will never come around even though she's come close (Fiction, consolation, live #9). To me, Parade feels composed to serve the Yuki Kajiura Lives, rather than the Lives conforming to the songs as they used to. I say this because of the persistent amount of ballads that feel purposefully designed to allow each singer to comfortably shine, rather than an album full of Kotonohoka Yawaraki or Sokyu no Fanfair types, in which the composition is more the driving factor. The problem with this choice, to me, is that even though many of these vocalists' voices are very pretty and unique, none of them are powerful enough to really dazzle. I have a feeling that they'll pack more of a punch in the Lives, which is what further makes me feel this album was designed to serve the Lives. These songs like Mou Kiminokoto wo Mitakunai, Kai, Sekai no Hate, or even Parade would be magical with vocalists closer to Hanae Tomaru, Eri Itoh, or Yuri Kasahara (or even Yuriko Kaida on front vocals for a change). However, I will say, the core 4 FictionJunction girls' voices have never sounded more powerful to me (the addition of Joelle helped and the other girls seem to be entering their vocal maturity right now, at least to my untrained ears), so I think they successfully carry songs like Beginning and Parade, but there's still something lacking that prevents the songs from achieving greatness.

Besides this, I really enjoy the composition of most of the songs. The instrumentation on songs like Parade and Sekai no Hate is really delicious. In fact I wish there were more instrument breaks as a whole. By the end of these songs my ear gets a little worn out by the constant vocals. I miss the violin / electric guitar / flute / accordian solo breaks that used to grace most of Yuki's old vocal songs, and "refresh" the sound of the vocals to your ears when they resume. Also as an English speaker, I was really hoping for more Kajiurago / English choruses. I'm surprised there are so few on this album, but the ones we do get like in Parade and Kotonohoka Yawaraki are very enjoyable.

Parade to me is probably the strongest song, and has many of the elements I wished were more present in the other songs on the album (and the previous two FJ albums to be honest), such as a pretty melody, great harmonies, delicious instrumentation, and addictive English / Kajiurago choruses. My only complaint is that the song would have really benefitted from having Yuriko or Keiko on lead vocals for a few verses. I'm tired of the same formula; it really needs to be switched up. Yuriko did amazing on lead for songs like himitsu and here we stand in the morning dew.

There is no song that I dislike on the album, but there is also no song that I super love either. But I'm grateful for it.

I like the album much more than I thought I would. I'm a Yuki fan who has been yearning for an album full of mezames, stone colds, the worlds, and Parallel Hearts for about 20 years now, and I must finally accept the fact that that album will never come around even though she's come close (Fiction, consolation, live #9). To me, Parade feels composed to serve the Yuki Kajiura Lives, rather than the Lives conforming to the songs as they used to. I say this because of the persistent amount of ballads that feel purposefully designed to allow each singer to comfortably shine, rather than an album full of Kotonohoka Yawaraki or Sokyu no Fanfair types, in which the composition is more the driving factor. The problem with this choice, to me, is that even though many of these vocalists' voices are very pretty and unique, none of them are powerful enough to really dazzle. I have a feeling that they'll pack more of a punch in the Lives, which is what further makes me feel this album was designed to serve the Lives. These songs like Mou Kiminokoto wo Mitakunai, Kai, Sekai no Hate, or even Parade would be magical with vocalists closer to Hanae Tomaru, Eri Itoh, or Yuri Kasahara (or even Yuriko Kaida on front vocals for a change). However, I will say, the core 4 FictionJunction girls' voices have never sounded more powerful to me (the addition of Joelle helped and the other girls seem to be entering their vocal maturity right now, at least to my untrained ears), so I think they successfully carry songs like Beginning and Parade, but there's still something lacking that prevents the songs from achieving greatness.

Besides this, I really enjoy the composition of most of the songs. The instrumentation on songs like Parade and Sekai no Hate is really delicious. In fact I wish there were more instrument breaks as a whole. By the end of these songs my ear gets a little worn out by the constant vocals. I miss the violin / electric guitar / flute / accordian solo breaks that used to grace most of Yuki's old vocal songs, and "refresh" the sound of the vocals to your ears when they resume. Also as an English speaker, I was really hoping for more Kajiurago / English choruses. I'm surprised there are so few on this album, but the ones we do get like in Parade and Kotonohoka Yawaraki are very enjoyable.

Parade to me is probably the strongest song, and has many of the elements I wished were more present in the other songs on the album (and the previous two FJ albums to be honest), such as a pretty melody, great harmonies, delicious instrumentation, and addictive English / Kajiurago choruses. My only complaint is that the song would have really benefitted from having Yuriko or Keiko on lead vocals for a few verses. I'm tired of the same formula; it really needs to be switched up. Yuriko did amazing on lead for songs like himitsu and here we stand in the morning dew.

There is no song that I dislike on the album, but there is also no song that I super love either. But I'm grateful for it.
Beautifully said. Do you write? If not you really should. This is an amazing review. I agree with Parade especially. It's my fave of the album. While Koto is 2nd. Parade is a mix of happy and sad. Kind of a farewell song. I want to see the lyrics. I am trying to figure out the English, since it's not in the booklet. (Just Parade the word.)

Beautifully said. Do you write? If not you really should. This is an amazing review. I agree with Parade especially. It's my fave of the album. While Koto is 2nd. Parade is a mix of happy and sad. Kind of a farewell song. I want to see the lyrics. I am trying to figure out the English, since it's not in the booklet. (Just Parade the word.)
Thank you so much! yes I do write. I'm trying to become a professional writer. Wish me luck! 🤗

Listening to Yuki's music while I write is one of my favorite things. Talk about inspiration!

Agree that "Koto no Hoka Yawarakai" slaps, great warm-up to the album. I wish the entire album was like this. But I would have prefered a great solo, instead of those strings!!!

I don't mind "Parade" and don't care much for the title. I'm more worried about the artwork that evocates some world inspiration, lacking from these compositions. Where's the arabic style inspired tracks such as "destination" or "elemental"? Where are those crazy riffs that only Kajiura could do such as in "nostalgia" ? That's what made the previous albums so unique.

A late reply but the artwork actually kinda represents the lyrics of Koto no Hoka Yawarakai. Now I'm curious where did the artist draw their inspiration from. Did Kajiura send the whole tracks to them first (or at least Koto no Hoka Yawarakai and Parade - the two being the new songs sung by the 4 ladies) and they specifically choose Koto no Hoka Yawarakai or was it Kajiura herself who chose it?

In a way I kinda get why they chose knhy lyrics because parade's lyrics is very straightforward (you cry i cry we walk together we sing our song our voices becomes parade), while knhy has a more evocative and imaginative lyrics. truly proves that koto no hoka yawarakai is the superior song lol

I checked out the 2nd pri-pri movie to listen to Fairy game again, and it makes me believe it would better to be inside the album and sacrifice Parade or Beginning, that jazzy feel really fit with the album atmosphere.

and sacrifice Parade or Beginning
What do you mean sacrifice the title track? Sacrifice From the Edge or Sokyuu Fanfare!

FictionJunction PARADE charts:

- Oricon album weekly chart: Top 7
- Billboard Japan weekly chart: Top 6

Not bad for something that got 0 promotion and came out of nowhere.
Pretty much what I expected hue. Though I didn't think it would enter the weekly top 10.
If they do more promotion next time and sing a couple of good anime tie-ins then I bet they'll do Kalafina numbers.

Not bad for something that got 0 promotion and came out of nowhere.
Well, placement is one thing but are the numbers of units sold also not bad? :psst:

What do you mean sacrifice the title track? Sacrifice From the Edge or Sokyuu Fanfare!
The album isn't even 65 minutes long. You don't need to sacrifice anything to fit more on the CD.
One could burn Sokyuu no FANFARE with fire though. :psst:

Sokyuu no Fanfare is included in this album???? I've never listened to it!

jesse-team.gif

Back