Kalafina new single ひかりふる

I'm afraid I can't agree with the idea that Wakana sounds the way she does to express emotion.

Yuki Kajiura (during HF recording session) said:
This song is a light, flutterly and sublime hymn sung by angel choirs, so Wakana, during your solo, I want you to sound as strained and honky as you possibly can!

That sounds a little funny to me... :p

A lot of past Kalafina songs are very emotionally driven. Wakana doesn't have to sound like a broken bus horn in order to express that emotion.

:psst:

Perhaps. But it would just be weird if Wakana couldn't reach those notes and Kajiura just said "Meh, whatever, I don't care about this anyway so sing it however you can". But it's good that we have different opinions because in any case we just don't know what did they actually think when they were creating this song.

It is very possible that Wakana just strained herself because she had to and had no other choice. I don't believe she can reach every note perfectly. But honestly I just LOVE the way her voice sounds at that part of the song. I don't hear it as honky or strained (even though I did first time hearing the song), just extremely beautiful and goosebump inducing. I guess I just fall in love with things I consider strange or non fitting first time, especially music-wise.

What I'm getting at is, I'm not a professional singer myself and don't know most of the techniques or styles of singing. But Wakana's "honk" at that part of the song just might be a different style of singing. So perhaps some people would find it unpleasant, and some people would love it. I have no clue.

I'll just leave it at that! :XD:

Re:

Mace63 said:
Perhaps. But it would just be weird if Wakana couldn't reach those notes and Kajiura just said "Meh, whatever, I don't care about this anyway so sing it however you can".

It is very possible that Wakana just strained herself because she had to and had no other choice. I don't believe she can reach every note perfectly.

If you listen to Kalafina's back-catalogue (and FJs), Wakana has sung far more complicated parts with higher notes in the past. For example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9j8Y8jFQTM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HdGdjLZUN4

For studio recordings, look no further than Ashita no Keshiki/Mizu no Akashi/mezame.

I don't think it's a case of Yuki Kajiura not being a perfectionist or simply not caring enough. When have you ever heard a wrong note in any of Yuki Kajiura's songs? Of the 80 or so I've heard, I've maybe noted 4 off sounding notes. If that's not perfectionist, I don't know what is.

I don't think Wakana can sing like she used to, whether that be due to vocal damage or whatever. For Hikari Furu, if I had a choice between a "Where the lights are" vocal tone and the "honk" tone, I know which I'd be going for!

But Wakana's "honk" at that part of the song just might be a different style of singing. So perhaps some people would find it unpleasant, and some people would love it. I have no clue.

But this isn't something that's suddenly popped out of the blue as a one off vocal experiment. In my opinion, you can ear her tone gradually changing across the last few singles and After Eden.

But it's good that we have different opinions

Indeed! It generates good discussions like this one!

If you listen to Kalafina's back-catalogue (and FJs), Wakana has sung far more complicated parts with higher notes in the past. For example:

Yuki Kajiura LIVE :: 05 Liminality

FictionJunction WAKANA where the lights are.

For studio recordings, look no further than Ashita no Keshiki/Mizu no Akashi/mezame.

She also has some really nice high notes in Seventh Heaven, and MATERIALISE.

(I did not mean to start this long discussion again) I guess I was saying that it does fit the song, but I do agree that it sounds a bit weird. And again when she sings higher with the other girls. Maybe it will sound even better live, who knows? I know, it's the recorded version, but I still like that part. It has a different tone than seventh heaven, which I like. :shy:

Hikarifuru placed on 4th rank in Oricon weekly chart, selling 38.071 copies in its first week. This single is so going to be the best selling single from Kalafina, because it even beat to the beginning which only sold around 23k on its first week, and to the beginning took around 7 weeks to sell around the amount Hikarifuru sold on its first week. Maybe it'll sell more than 50k by next week. Congratulations to Kalafina and Kajiura-sensei!

38K.. SUGOI!!! :waii: Now i'm wondering if the reason for this is Madoka? :ohoho:

^ of course it is, about 70% of the sales I guess, just compare it with the sales of moonfesta. But I think that the fact that it was containing more tracks this time also played a role.

What matters to us is that this way Kalafina get even more popular :dote:

Re:

[...]

dont forget adore :sparkleguy:

Re:

george1234 said:
doublepostsorry

Yurika
(1 Nov 2012 13:18)
Kalafina is nominated for “The Animation Artist of the Year” in the Billboard JAPAN Music Adwards http://www.billboard-japan.com/common/s ... rtist.html

:omg:

:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

:omg: CONGRATS KALAFINA!! :cheer: We're so proud of you~ :love:

Hope they win! Being nominated is already very good :plot:

george1234 said:
[...]

dont forget adore :sparkleguy:

Is Mizu no Akashi really that high? :confu: I always thought it sounded like it was mostly in the slightly lower part of Wakana's range... :ayashii: I love her high notes in storia - they sound so effortless and soaring :shy:

4th place in weekly charts is Kalafina's highest so far, too, isn't it? :ayashii: :sohappy: And now this nomination as well. :sparkleguy:
Well, what to say? Yuki & Co sure deserve it. :cheer:

I do agree with you Cerise that I enjoy her a lot more in storia, it is still one of my favorite Kala (and Yuki songs) to this day. :dote:

Re: Re:

Cerise said:
Is Mizu no Akashi really that high? :confu: I always thought it sounded like it was mostly in the slightly lower part of Wakana's range... :ayashii: I love her high notes in storia - they sound so effortless and soaring :shy:

Yes, it is and she performed it again in VOL 9 Live and with no Studio Magix its 90+% like the vol,4. It proves that her voice is still perfectly fine and it shows that she is very much capable of singing like how she sang in vol 4. Have faith Cerise and Lina :sparkleguy:

She just choose not to strain herself through endless singing as we can see her attending endless events and concerts of Kalafina and FJ is taxing. We aren't gaining anything by constantly assuming /worrying about her condition and all that, all it does is frustrate or agitate the situation. True fans will have faith, trolls will spread negativities..

Back