Kalafina LIVE 2010 "Red Moon" at JCB Hall ~3rd An. LIVE~

I have a couple of reasons.
First of all, the arrangement. The second guitar that I like so much is pretty much gone into thin air. Not only that but one violin can't really make justice to the strings from the original song.
As for the vocals...Well, I like some things, like Keiko's mukidashi no hontou ga, but in general it lacks...something (Maya LOL). A part of the harmony is lost and some parts seem just...strange (Hikaru's yukunda is an example).
But in fact most of the things I said here apply to many of their songs, in my opinion obviously.

^ I think Koichi-san's guitar is actually more evocative in the live, the solo violin sounds more intimate, and the harmony arrangement works very well even without Maya! My opinion's completely different :XD:

I do agree about Hikaru's 'yukunda', but that doesn't last very long, so I don't mind it. :innocent:

Keiko's 'mukidashi no hontou ga' is what made it stand out for me on the first listen...I'm glad someone else likes it :dote:

Thanks for sharing your reasons :bow:

^But what I mentioned about the guitar was that the second one is missing. Hence, my favorite part from the song is simply gone. (everything after the Kimi ni aitai... part). About the violin, uh, I can barely hear it sometimes. Just like I can barely hear the cello/viola in Kimi ga Hikari... because it is pre-recorded. For many people these are most probably minor details but these matter too much for me.
But vocal-wise, I think most of their lives (sprinter included) are good, with some inconsistencies here and there.
I do find a bit, idk, funny that they sing sprinter with big smiles on their faces while the song is about "despair, end of the world, death" lol

^ You're right...for some reason I don't notice those things, although a lot of other things stick out for me. I suppose it really does depend on one's personal preferences and the way one listens to songs :ayashii:

Hmmm.

First off, I think the arrangement was crap. The multiple strings and electric guitar were what gave the song its classical, dark feel. With one string part, heavily featured electric guitar, and loud drums, the live felt more like a rock ballad. Keiko’s falsetto transition was darn awkward, with her voice rocketing from deep to high range- a fail attempt to merge her original part with Wakana’s original high harmony.

I dislike the way Hikaru sang. I mentioned in another topic that she sounded strained and nasal throughout. Cringe-worthy moments to note would be the “janai”, “kaze ni/mukai...kimi no/inai”, “yukunda”, and the “kimi…. etc.”.

I can’t stand how Keiko sang Maya’s parts. Her voice is too slow and smooth to sing them properly. Also, Maya pulled off her melodies by not forcing her syllables and controlling her breathing pace. Keiko sounded like she was trying to spit out every sound (Hikaru too) and her sharp gasps in between phrases were really distracting. If they had sung without trying so hard they would’ve given sprinter the seamless layers it originally had, but in this live version it sounds disjointed and jarring.

IMO Wakana did the best job here, but I still think she sang too passively and her Kajiuran parts sounded empty and incomplete without a harmonizing accompaniment. I was annoyed her “hate maDEEEEEE” was drowned out completely; it’s supposed to be at the forefront and then fade (probably due to bad sound editing). Since it’s a major turning point of the song, it just makes the mixing error more egregious.

Sorry, it's clear I really hate it. :XD:

^ That's okay. :V:

I have to say, though, I found the drums in the DVD version pretty quiet in comparison to this version. For some reason Masuke's drums stand out much more...I guess it's probably the mixing again.

Re: Sprinter - Red Moon DVD version

ninetales said:
Well...when I heard Sprinter from the Red Moon DVD, I thought it was beautiful. For some reason the live version helped me to understand the mood of the song and like it more, and I actually ended up writing the climactic battle of a script while listening to it.

You're not alone in this. I adore this version as well... probably b/c of the novelty of seeing one of my favorite songs ever being performed live.

To be honest, I was a bit disappointed the first time I saw it b/c it wasn't as lush at the studio version but then I reminded myself that songs played live rarely sound anything like the studio version, no matter who the artist. Once I adjusted to that fact, I decided that it wasn't too shabby of a performance - nowhere near the level of U2 but better than a lot of other bands I've seen. I think more than anything, I like the energy and the enthusiasm (Hiraku jumping up and down during the last chorus always gives me chills).

My reason? Solely because Maya is irreplaceable. The rest is already explained by winter. :tea:

it seems there are some who really hate it :confu:

For me, Sprinter is one of my favorite song. I like Sprinter from the original version until all of the live version due to its melodic and epicness :dote::nophoto:

^ I love the original version so much, but I'm not sure I will be able to love the live version as much. The feeling is totally different. It's changed.

Don't exactly hate sprinter in red moon live,but admittedly I prefer the original version.Think the live version is slightly tweaked to somehow invoke a more 'lively' atmosphere for the live,therefore what some of us like in the original version is lost.Course,it can't be the same without Maya's voice too.

I think both versions are great for what they are. Sure, I miss Maya's voice. But I like the catchy, punchy feel of the live just as much as I preferred the original studio version.

Just my 2 pence. :tea:

Re: Sprinter - Red Moon DVD version

I like it a lot... because...

1. I'm not the type of person who sees hostility to the other vocalists...
2. I don't LOOK for mistakes of one vocalist because i pretty much understand that humans are not perfect and respect these people since they gave off a not-fail performance anyway...
3. No one sounded wrong, and are perfectly in tune... And of course, I always love the girls' variating voice qualities...
4. Overall performance was great, and the song was hard to sing in the first place, so why should I complain... ;)
5. I don't really care if there's Maya or not... The performance was good enough for my applause...

I don't like it a bit, because...

1. I sense "lack of Spirit" in the song...
2. Sprinter will always be perfect with four singers... Yes, with Maya, it would be SO MUCH better...
3. KAJIURA IS NOT THERE... <- lol, this is an optonal reason.. ;)

^Sometimes I wonder if some people here never complain about anything, since some things are difficult to perform so we shouldn't really do it in the first place. Complaining isn't about disrespect or hostility. It's a matter of criticism. And truth be told, they have the capacity to overcome these problems, so why should we just turn our backs to their mistakes and sugarcoat them? Hikaru is capable of overcoming her problem with long notes, so why should I almost lable her as incompetent and almost act like "Oh Hikaru, you will never be able to do this, but since you're human, I forgive you"? As long as criticism is voiced in a respectful way, it is way more valuable than good comments that in a sense don't really help the artist to know what he/she has to improve. Some of you guys need to come back to the real world, instead of living in an utopia where complaining about mistakes/problems doesn't exist.

Re:

KP-X said:
^Sometimes I wonder if some people here never complain about anything, since some things are difficult to perform so we shouldn't really do it in the first place. Complaining isn't about disrespect or hostility. It's a matter of criticism. And truth be told, they have the capacity to overcome these problems, so why should we just turn our backs to their mistakes and sugarcoat them?
Oh I complain a lot, believe me... ;) I NEVER said complaining is disrespect and hostility... and I DO know that complaining almost comes in line with criticism... I guess you had my words mixed up, bud.. go recheck... I said I don't LOOK for them, but if they're very noticeable, I'd see them.. jeez, I'm not blind.. or deaf.. whatever word you prefer... :P

And I don't sugarcoat.. to be honest, I hate sugarcoaters who thinks she or whoever is perfect and never fails! No, that's not me, so that arrow pointing up, or pointing to me, pointed to the wrong person... I don't mind praising, but not seeing flaw is just wrong.. but the thing is, this performance lacked somethings but the only thing I found unsatisfying is the "aura" of the song, that's it... not the voice...

Hikaru is capable of overcoming her problem with long notes, so why should I almost lable her as incompetent and almost act like "Oh Hikaru, you will never be able to do this, but since you're human, I forgive you"? As long as criticism is voiced in a respectful way, it is way more valuable than good comments that in a sense don't really help the artist to know what he/she has to improve. Some of you guys need to come back to the real world, instead of living in an utopia where complaining about mistakes/problems doesn't exist.
Oh and, one more thing... Utopia does not exist in earth, and I don't live in a utopia.. I know how to voice my criticism... And one more, is that my message is not directed to you... it's voiced to those who thinks one of those people will never change and will forever be incompetent, so you really need not to worry here because you already did say that you believe she'd improve... unless it hits you though, then I would have to say sorry... ;)

One thing I'd say here is that criticism has different faces for different person, so criticizing an opinion or another criticism doesn't really get you anywhere since you both see different pages and perspectives here... no point in "correcting" an opinion... That's all, thank you for reading my long but "inspiring" post~! :dote:

^The same for me, my post wasn't necessarily directed at you, but rather to those that act in the way that I described in my post. I posted taking into consideration those people that believe that artists are "unreachable". They are never bad, the song is difficult, bla bla bla. Dozens and dozens of excuses to make up for the fact that the person simply couldn't make it.

I guess I shouldn't have used an arrow for your post, though.

Thread Merged with the "Kalafina LIVE 2010 "Red Moon" at JCB Hall ~3rd An. LIVE~".

Re-listened to the live. I have two more criticisms and a clarification.

What bothered me about Keiko's oversinging and incorrect breathing was that these factors contributed to her struggles to finish every line in time. (Maya's parts are quick, and Keiko was already at a disadvantage due to her default voice.) The dragging was particuarly clear at the part when Hikaru was also slow in finishing "todoku boku ga todoku", I could feel the off-time pause when Keiko started on the "zetsubou no amasa".

Two members oversinging + the other properly singing or under-singing = lack of unity and agreement on group sound. That doesn't look like a unit to me, more like three individuals who happened to be tossed together for a collab. One of the biggest ways to pull off a song like sprinter would be proper vocal blending and attention to teamwork. I don't hear it here.

Finally, I'm not hating so much on this live because Maya's not in it. Rather, because I think it could have been amazing, if arranged and sung correctly. I will always prefer a four person sprinter (even if they have to substitute someone who's not Maya), but a three person version can most definitely work if done properly. Unfortunately, I detest the way this live was arranged and executed.

Again, sorry if you don't like what I'm saying. But I'm not going to write some fluffy post about how much I love it, when in actuality I don't like it at all. I'll accept whatever hate I get. :tea:

^ I don't think anyone reasonable would give you hate about that. :confu: You explained clearly why you didn't like it and gave evidence to back up your opinions, as well as typing articulately.

Personally, I don't hate it, but I don't like it, either. It could probably be improved in many ways that have already been stated, but it doesn't bother me that it wasn't a stellar performance.

Back