Kalafina 5th album "far on the water"

The more I listen to FotW, the more it sounds like a FJ album and NOT a Kalafina album. Could be why some don't like it. I enjoy both so it's fine with me. I'll take a new FJ album any day, even if it is a Kalafina album.

FotW is literally the only album where I listen to absolutely none of the new songs, not even identify. I'll stick to only listening to the singles.

@lapis: why didnt you ? Some of the album songs are better than the ones in the singles, especially monochrome, gogatsu no mahou, and sorairo no isu, you are really missing :)

I can't speak for lapis, but in my case I've listened to the new songs, decided I didn't like them and won't listen to them anymore. Probably the only new song I don't completely dislike is usumurasaki, but otherwise I've tried to see if the album would grow on me, but it still hasn't.

Lilac and Sorairo are the only new songs I like, but Sorairo is too short while Lilac should have been sung by Keiko.

@Seasonreaper Unlike you I LOVE believe and heavenly blue is alright. I'm just now getting into One Light because I really like Hikaru's and Keiko's parts. You will never get me to listen to ring your bell no matter how low Keiko is at the bridge.

@george1234 I have listened to them but I hate them so they're not worth my time. Not even monochrome's similarity to Gaika could attract me and I think identify is a mess.

That's fair I guess. I don't personally see how anyone can even like Believe, it's an absolute mess and has no redeeming features whatsoever. It's literally the same part stuck back to back twice in a row, the melody is all over the place and the even the vocal delivery sounds mediocre. Even if you took the worst 5 seconds of every other Kalafina song and mashed them together it'd still sound better than Believe. I loathe its entire existence and I refuse to ever listen to it ever again. I intentionally ignored it when I saw them live, even. It's just that shit.

That's fair I guess. I don't personally see how anyone can even like Believe, it's an absolute mess and has no redeeming features whatsoever. It's literally the same part stuck back to back twice in a row, the melody is all over the place and the even the vocal delivery sounds mediocre. Even if you took the worst 5 seconds of every other Kalafina song and mashed them together it'd still sound better than Believe. I loathe its entire existence and I refuse to ever listen to it ever again. I intentionally ignored it when I saw them live, even. It's just that shit.
Oh. I'm gonna buy the Limited Edition Blu-Ray.

Keiko's on the regular, Wakana on DVD, Hikaru on BD, same as usual I believe

@Seasonreaper ...

For me, the main ones of the new songs I listen to are Musunde and Gogatsu, though Monochrome and Hokage are fine as well.

EDIT: I feel like I'm the only one who likes Hokage :XD:

Last edited by a moderator:
When it comes to my most listened to song I don't really know. I just put everything except HB/Believe in a playlist with the rest of my Kalafina songs, though I usually skip Hokage and I'm really liking Musune right now

Well since this seems like a good time for a retrospective on the album, I'll do a quick one.

As for Hokage, I don't really like songs that open instantly with vocals, it always sounds weird for me. I don't really like Eden either, and the intro to Storia tends to bug me a bit too but the rest is so good I can deal with it. It doesn't stand out at all after that, Kalafina have so many ballads and they're all better than Hokage in my opinion.

Musunde has grown on me somewhat since I first heard it, I didn't like it at all initially but I can tolerate it now. I'd probably consider it good enough to like it if it wasn't so bloody long, cut it down to about 4 minutes and it'd be a lot better I reckon, it drags on.

Monochrome surprised me at first but it's grown on me considerably, whilst I've grown to like Far on the Water more over time, I had a similar thing with Symphonia. I think Identify falls into a similar category actually.

Gogatsu, Sorairo and Usumurasaki are all regular Kalafina-tier great.

One Light has grown on me a lot, especially with live performances where it sounds even better. I've gotten kinda tired of RYB though, I don't usually listen to it unless I'm going through the whole album unless it's a live performance where it sounds a lot nicer. I still don't like Heavenly Blue but I can at least appreciate that it's better in live versions. I don't hate it anymore, at least.

Believe is still awful and the only song I actively ignore. Also the only song in their entire discography I'll skip over even if I'm listening to the album, I always switch to Kimi no Gin instead (or sometimes Alleluia) and then back for FotW.

It's still their weakest work, but switching out Believe and Heavenly Blue for Kimi no Gin no Niwa and Alleluia at least puts it near After Eden level for me.

Back