Kalafina 5th album "far on the water"

^Woohoo!

I love the billboard pictures and the giant semi! I wish we had them here. *sigh* Not enough people here (in my town) like Kalafina. I can name a few, one being my mom (though she only likes their slower songs heh) lol. I am still getting used to identify. I listened to it again. I don't like the guitar, but I hope that I do in the live version, since he sometimes revises his part. I am in love with Usumurasaki now and Monochrome is still my favorite though fotw is close behind it.

Also in regards to REMI. Don't they usually play her part in the chorus in the background, like sometimes they do with Wakana's Kajiurago and then she starts singing after. If that makes any sense. I thought they did this with Yuriko as well, since she does not sing with them, but that would be awesome if they had all the singers (Yuki included heh).

I think it's hard to say yet for this week. Gap between 2nd and 3rd is rather small today. They were 4th yesterday so we couldn't see the exact copies (Miyano was in 3rd at 3-4k copies I think). If we assume a generous 3k for day 2, Kalafina would be at 11k + 3k + 2k = 16k. Almost to the 20k mark. It will definitely be in the 20k+ range in the long term. Analog release on the 30th of Sept should also boost their numbers by a bit, assuming that they track analog. A google search also tells me that while sites like CDJ does report sales numbers to Oricon, apparently they exclude international sales from their report. Perhaps Oricon is meant to only reflect local sales?

On the digital front, which Oricon doesn't track, Kalafina opened at first for both Mora (highres at 1, normal at 2) and Victor's HD music. The old albums, which were also released in highres on the 16th, are also ranking in the top 10. Rightfully so, Seventh Heaven seems to be performing better than the others. On iTunes, I am not sure about the first few days but FotW is still in the top 10 as of writing.

The best albums, blue in particular, have amazing legs and are still charting in the weeklies, selling low hundreds per week. Blue is at 57,868 physical copies as of the 15th Sep week.

Usumurasaki sounds a lot like secret episodes from RHH 1's OST to me. Just the verses, but there is a resemblance. I know she says it's coincidence that her songs sound similar. I like that kind of song though, since I loved se. Also put that song above Utsukushisa and it fits perfectly. So creepy. heh

When were Kalafina at Lazona Plaza Kawasaki for "Far on the water" launch events?

FOTW commemoration event: http://lineblog.me/kalafina/archives/41748730.html

Date: September 19 at 14:00 JST
Venue: Lazona Kawasaki Plaza Ruefer Plaza Grand Stage

Date: September 20 at 14:00 JST
Venue: Nishinomiya Gardens 4F Sky Garden Konoha Stage

almost done, haha!:XD:
Edit: just found some pics :)
CPSE3ILUAAA-P4O.jpg

CPQEYFtUEAArwXp.jpg

12049237_1130185990344557_7803557340321189150_n.png

12046638_1130235947006228_971643855446139929_n.jpg

12038261_1130235953672894_9081434640908309179_n.jpg

12038239_1130235963672893_5770717745663563038_n.jpg

http://www.hochi.co.jp/entertainment/garticle.html…
http://www.nikkansports.com/…/photonews_nsInc_1540830-0.html
http://www.sanspo.com/…/…/20150920/geo15092005010009-n1.html
http://listenmusic.jp/store/musicnews/93373.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Today Kalafina is 3rd because of new releases.
It's a big chance that they'll sell 20,000 copies in first week

Finally got my copy yesterday! I was acually really surprised how much I liked everything in a first liste. For the most part all of the new songs have a very different vibe and energy that their pevious works. I'm glad Yuki Kajiura is being a little bit more experimental this far into Kalafina's run.

My favorites so far have been Gogatsu no Mahou and Identify. I'll have to listen to it more but so far, so good. Can't wait to see the lives.

Both performances were amazing... Ring your bell is better song than FOW- I love it. I love Hikaru's verses, refraing, bridge with brilliant Wakana, one verse (only :(!) of Keiko... I'm happy that Kajiura-san composed this song.
FOW - isn't a type of song I like. It's better than yume no daichi but still neuter.

Since I don't know how to put links in onions, here's a spoiler:

you place an onion and then you select it and add a link to it, just like in every other word with the hyperlink button

I seriously dont hear any difference between the live strings and the playback ones (in other performances), especially during the singing part. Also for some reason the girls voices are echoing. considering that budokan is open air, is it because of bad mixing ?

btw could someone upload the files since they dont download whole on my pc :(

Last edited:
Wow, both of those performances were godly :hearts: (Well most of Budokan was 10/10 perfect to me anyway lol) The sound was a bit muffled though. Akagi's flute sounded...gentler? the way she plays it live.

And no MC so I guess Keiko's 'daisuki' is lost to us forever :cry:

Kalafina was 2nd yesterday! Number of copies: 2,294!
Kalafina will be on 2nd place in the week

^ Hahahaha agreed, the third one is a bit LOL. I think maybe they were swishing their skirts around for dramatic effect when the shot was taken. Their legs are so perfect...they look like they're doing a commercial for women's leg shavers or something

Also I know I'm late to the party but here's my review, for what it's worth. I think I’m in the minority here with my very positive reaction to FOTW. It’s actually probably my favourite album since Red Moon (*gasp!*). I’ve had it on repeat for like the last week and I still show no signs of tiring of it. I definitely agree with Kajiura’s statement that this was one of their more energetic albums. In general to me it’s more light, energetic and vibrant than their previous albums, which have slightly darker and heavier tones. Even though dark Kalafina seems to always deliver amazing tracks almost by default I actually really enjoy their more light-hearted songs too, especially the ones in this album. It's going to be so joyful to watch the girls perform, I think.

One thing as well with this album is that I love the background instruments a lot more for some reason (mostly in the new songs, not necessarily the Anisong Foursome). I noticed and appreciated the instruments more in FOTW, there’s just something about it that I can’t quite describe or put my finger on. The melodies are also more memorable and catchy for me, with the new songs getting stuck in my head way more than when I first listened to Consolation or After Eden, for example.

into the water: this opener sounds more like a soundtrack piece than an album prelude. I’m getting KnK vibes from it, like it could have fit right in to the Mirai Fukuin OST. The harmonies are very neat and tight. Is that the Uillean pipes around 1:06? Whatever it is I really like that one part, it’s very haunting.

monochrome: I love the little guitar riffs and the accordion’s short staccato style in this! At times the accordion almost sounds like a fiddle to me for some reason. I think I actually enjoy the instruments even more than the singing. For some reason also I love the odd sound effect at around 0:25, I just find the little flourish it does very enjoyable for some reason. The girls’ harmonies in this are so great, it’s supposed to be what the group is known for and I feel like they just keep getting better and better at it. The ‘ahh-ing’ at the end is so pretty (Wacchan channelling a bit of Yuriko there).

Gogatsu no mahou: Oh my goodness. From the very first impression this song has possibly been my favourite off the album. There’s a rollicking, uplifting fantasy element to it that I love. It feels like a song that might be playing as the camera pans over majestic mountains and sprawling fields that the heroes of some medieval fantasy are making their epic journey across. I love the melody of the strings and the percussion throughout. Favourite part would be the kajiurago verse and everything after. Loving Wakana’s last verse, with those high notes. It’s such an awesome song to play as I walk to the station every day.

ring your bell: In comparison to the rest of the album I have relatively muted feelings for this one but my favourite parts are the chorus and the kajiurago part, which are quite grand, especially with those rolling drums and cymbals. I definitely prefer the live rendition of this song to the studio version, though. The girls performing it just bring it to life more.

Usumurasaki: I love it. Possibly more than the recent b-sides we’ve had that are in a similar strain (in everything nothing, Koibito, etc.). The cello (or is it the double bass?) is divine. Keiko’s ‘someru’ sends shivers down my spine. I also love the guitar parts and the various percussion instruments being used throughout, I don’t even know what they’re all called (I think I hear bells, some castanet-y sounding things that aren’t actually castanets? Lol I have no idea) but I love the little flourishes they bring to the song (like what is it that makes that cicada(???)-like rattling fluttery sound at around 1:56???). Favourite part of the song is absolutely the swell at 3:53 and all that comes after.

identify: One of my new favourite pop/rock songs from them. Usually for songs along the lines of Mata Kaze and Ongaku I don’t listen to the studio versions much because I prefer watching the lives. But with this song I really like it on its own. I think people have been comparing it to love come down as well…dare I say I actually think I might like it more than love come down? The melody of identify is just more memorable and catchy to me. It almost sounds a bit like Eye of the Tiger?? Hahaha. Hikaru and Keiko also sound really into it, I love the way they enunciate the lyrics in this one. It just makes me wanna jump around and have fun.

Hokage: More unpopular opinion time. I really like it, despite its simplicity, because I find the melody very beautiful. It resembles this classical violin piece that that I can’t quite remember the name of. Needless to say the strings in this song are very nice too. Love the emotion Wakana puts in. Her voice as Kajiura says, was practically made to sing tragic-sounding songs like this one.

One Light: Out of the Anisong Foursome, One Light and heavenly blue are my two slightly more preferred ones (compared to believe and RYB). I love the drums in this one. Hikaru is so awesome, she really drives the song. Really enjoy the Kajiurago part as well. I like the layered effect of the vocals, how Wakana and Hikaru’s lines kind of pile on top of each other. I also really enjoy Wakana’s higher lines at the end of each chorus. It’s my perfect song to listen to when I’m out on a jog.

Musunde Hiraku: Another new song that I love (I love like all of the new non-tie in songs in this album). It’s like a superior misterioso/Mirai for me, with a more memorable melody and better vocals (since Wakana seems to be in better condition). Hikaru and Keiko’s verses are also really pleasant. It’s just a very pleasant-sounding song! The kajiurago parts and Hikaru + Keiko after that just make me feel so happy. I often have the chorus stuck in my head. I think it’s also interesting that this seems to be one of the more disliked songs by the people who reviewed the album on previous pages, but is the song that the Kala girls themselves all particularly like. The hopeful tone of this one is just very effective at cheering me up for some reason (even more so than their other similar ‘hopeful/happy’ ones e.g. Mirai, misterioso, Eden etc.).

heavenly blue: More unpopular opinion time I think lol. I’m rather fond of heavenly blue (and One Light). I actually really like the transition from Hikaru’s parts to Wakana’s, rough and aggressive to tranquil and sweeping – I don’t find it jarring the way others have, I think. I love the strings and the percussion in this one (which I listen to often in the instrumental version).

sorairo no isu: My other standout favourite from this album. I love the harp/acoustic guitar/strings combo. Wakana and Keiko always duet well together, and Wakana’s voice is so nice here, her switches to falsetto are so pretty it makes me want to cry. My favourite verses are the one that starts with “hana wo chirashite…” followed by Keiko’s echoing “mure ni okureta…” verse. The harmonies are so nice. It’s just such a delicate, beautiful song with a sense of sadness but also prettiness. For some reason it also imprints a really strong image in my mind of the sky reflected upon water. I don’t even know where that picture comes from or why it has such a strong impression on me, but it just does. Kajiura’s mysterious magic.

believe: So I’ve mentioned before but out of the Anisong Foursome it kind of goes: heavenly blue/One Light -> believe/RYB. Oddly enough my favourite verse in this song is the one that starts with “soredemo kimi ga waratta kara…”, there’s just something about the way it’s sung or mixed in the studio version that weirdly cheers me up at that part. Again, I don’t even know why, it’s just the way it makes me feel.

far on the water: This one and Musunde Hiraku (and also ‘identify’ sometimes) are the two that get stuck in my head the most. I really like FOTW. It may be equal favourite with storia for me out of the Historia songs, because it’s even more feel-good than Yume no Daichi and symphonia (storia is really hard to beat because I think Wakana did an amazing job with the vocals for storia back then). The chorus gets stuck in my head all the time, not that I’m complaining. It also probably helps that all the live performances the girls have sung of it so far have been ridiculously good.

Fav songs: (please excuse my weird-ass ranking system hahaha)
Tier 1 - Gogatsu no mahou and sorairo no isu
Tier 1.5 - far on the water (it gets stuck in my head way too much so I suspect I subconsciously love it more than I think I do lol)
Tier 2 - Usumurasaki and Musunde Hiraku
Tier 3 – Hokage, monochrome, identify
Tier 3.5 – heavenly blue and One Light (because like I said before, I’m actually more fond of these two than I used to think)
Tier 4 - Believe and RYB

All in all, I’m really please with this album. I’m sorry to hear that quite a lot of people seem to have been disappointed by this one. Hopefully you guys will enjoy their next release more! I also can’t wait for a FOTW Live Tour Bluray to come out, if the girls can keep up their amazing good form then I’m sure these songs will be incredible live.

Final album ranking: Seventh Heaven -> Red Moon -> FOTW -> Consolation -> After Eden
(note: of course I still love After Eden. It’s just that my love for it is slightly less than the others. But I am still extremely fond of it)

^I would definitely agree that FOW is extremely catchy, and all I've heard for the new songs is the iTunes samples & FOW & Gogatsu no Mahou. Yet, including the aformented songs, monochrome, musunde hiraku, and more have been running through my head.

Back