Kalafina 21st single "Hyakka Ryouran" (Katsugeki Touken Ranbu ED)

Wow, I'm very late to the party on this. Glad all that drama, amusing as it was, is (hopefully) now behind us. :@_@:
As for my thoughts on the actual single, well...

Hyakka Ryouran- I said it back when I first heard the sample and I'll say it again now, this literally sounds just like Parallel Hearts. The first time I listened to the full version, I was kinda zoning out and not paying full attention to the song and I swear I almost thought I was listening to PH for a good few seconds...The choruses are just eerily similar.

That aside though, after a few listens I agree that Keiko's first verse is the best part of the song by far. The rest of the song is good, but I really do feel like it's not anything special, which is a shame. I guess it's just that strong FJ vibe that this song gives off. Granted, we haven't had a single FJ anything in years now, but that bland anisong FJ (Wakana) feel is seriously overpowering here, at least to me.

As for the rest, I really liked Hikaru's part before the second verse with the Kajiurago counter-melody underlying it. I think all the girls sung decently in this one as well, Wakana being the weakest link as usual but not being outright bad IMO
Decent song overall.

Kantan Katan- When I first heard the instrumental intro to this song, I was so excited because that intro was one of the prettiest things Kajiura has composed in YEARS. It gave me such a nostalgic, bittersweet, longing feeling, almost akin to something from the KnK or Shin Sekai Yori OST.
But then Wakana opened her mouth and I was like...oh...

I mean, the song wasn't bad, but that intro just raised my expectations wayyy too high and I couldn't help but be disappointed by the actual song, which really isn't a bad song at all; in fact, it's quite serviceable, albeit fairly standard Kajiura fare. (Thankfully the instrumental was all around great)
I am definetely getting a Neverending vibe from this one, and like Neverending, I think this is just one of those songs that I could play on repeat in the background while I'm working without it ever getting old.

I agree with the common sentiment that Hikaru doesn't sound all that great in her verses here though... pity :/
In her later verses Wakana also sounded pretty off, kinda pitchy and not exactly polished, but it wasn't terrible.
Despite my griping though, I really did enjoy this song, but once the shiny exciting 'new' factor of it has worn off, I don't think I'd ever go out of my way to listen to it.

Tonbo- zzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ:uh..:
I'm really getting sick of these samey piano ballads. I thought Kalafina b-sides were one of the sole opportunities where Kajiura didn't have to be restrained to composing an anisong that would eventually have to be shortened to 1:30, and could instead really channel her creativity to compose amazing, unique, and unorthodox songs (Lirica, Utsukushisa, Serenato, Tsuioku) not these boring formulaic 90% Wakana piano ballads that I always find bland and uninteresting (Haru wo Matsu, Mahiru, Kiichigo no Shigemini, Haru wa Kogane (:blood::blood::blood:), Hokage (:notlistening::notlistening::notlistening:), Sapphire,etc.)
Lapis is still the only one I actually enjoy and go out of my way to listen to . Gloria is also ok. I love Yane no Mukou ni, but I don't think that really counts as a piano ballad. The rest can go die.

At least this one is really short, making it relatively inoffensive (and even more so forgettable) but I'm just getting frustrated at the fact that these keep getting made, and each new one is even more forgettable and plain than the one before it. (At least Haru wo Matsu's melody was a tad more interesting than this)
Hikaru's voice is also really straining and harsh in this one too, ugh. Keiko's 'you ni' at the end also sounds really weird to me, but that may be just me.

It's not that I don't like piano ballads, in fact, Kajiura has been proven to use slow piano AMAZINGLY and effectively in the past.
M23 of KnK 3 is probably her best example of using piano and vocals efficiently to create a moving emotional piece that doesn't have to rely on predictable chord progressions and the like to draw emotion and a response from the listener. Kajiura KNOWS how to do this right, why can't she anymore gahhhhhhhhdgjadgagladakh
Granted, M23 is a OST track and not a conventional song, which lends it to more creative liberties when composing, but that shouldn't be an excuse as Kajiura has broken many of the basic conventions of songwriting in the past with songs like Utsukushisa, Sandpipier, almost everything on the Red Moon album, and Lirica, which was one of the reasons I loved her so much before, but if every new Kala single is gonna have one of these piano ballads every time, I just... :vortex:

I could rant a lot more about this if I wanted to, but I think I should just stop myself here and say that this song sucked, but
Overall:...the single was serviceable.

I think I prefer the into the world/Marchen single over this because there was a larger sense of variety between the songs there and after going back to that single and listening to it, I find myself enjoying it quite a bit more.

I just really don't want to hear another dry and uninspired piano ballad taking up a precious b-side slot again, pls Kajiura pretty pls I wanna believe in you again
(I completely understand where so many of the so-called '"""""Kajiura haters''''''''''' on this forum are coming from now, despite being here not nearly as long as any of them, as well as quite a bit younger xD)

Last edited by a moderator:
Lapis is still the only one I actually enjoy and go out of my to listen to . Gloria is also ok. I love Yane no Mukou ni, but I don't that really counts as a piano ballad. The rest can go die.

Well, technically Kiichigo no Shigemi, Sapphire, Haru wa Kogane..., and Hokage aren't piano ballads either, hue.

I have no idea what just went on in these past 48 hours or so, and I'm glad that it's seemingly over and done, but please don't refer or liken me to a.) a terrorist, or b.) Taylor Swift. Thank you, and good night.

I find it cute how no one is finding an issue with the use of "fagg" and this entire situation is being swept under the rug like it was just a big commotion over nothing. Yet if I were to say something like "fuck you" to another member of the forum it'll be seen as obscene and offensive. But haven't we just learned that to be offended is a choice? So can I curse all of you out and not get banned for it? Where does the line get drawn?

What ignorance I'm witnessing today. I'm truly appalled.

I find it cute how no one is finding an issue with the use of "fagg" and this entire situation is being swept under the rug like it was just a big commotion over nothing. Yet if I were to say something like "fuck you" to another member of the forum it'll be seen as obscene and offensive. But haven't we just learned that to be offended is a choice? So can I curse all of you out and not get banned for it? Where does the line get drawn?

What ignorance I'm witnessing today. I'm truly appalled.

Okay I didn't really want to comment on this but there's kind of a point here. As a gay man that was put under heavy derogation with multiple things including the root term "fag", I don't think that it should be used jokingly. And I know it is anyway, but I don't like it.
I don't know what this new slang is, if "fagg" is the gay "thicc" or whatever, I don't keep up with that crap, but I will say that it's not necessary and could easily be replaced with something that likely would have been equally funny.
It's not new slang of course, but as a black man I also have the same disposition to Yui Makino freely throwing around "nigga" in her . . . riled-up moment.

Ignorance is everywhere in this thread, most recently on the sides of both parties. We can never truly do anything about it, because opinions. I'm not surprised at all, anymore, since I went through it weeks ago, realized my moments and left the other party to (hopefully) realize theirs, and it has since passed. And so passing it is just the solution honestly, because there will be a scar but we'll all be fine. I hope.

Okay I didn't really want to comment on this but there's kind of a point here. As a gay man that was put under heavy derogation with multiple things including the root term "fag", I don't think that it should be used jokingly. And I know it is anyway, but I don't like it.
I don't know what this new slang is, if "fagg" is the gay "thicc" or whatever, I don't keep up with that crap, but I will say that it's not necessary and could easily be replaced with something that likely would have been equally funny.
THANK YOU for identifying the problem as well. I have been called "fag" by bullies for being gay. You really don't know what it feels like 'til it happens to you.

If you're gay and have no problem with the word, that's cool. But no one should discredit the potential of someone FEELING A CERTAIN WAY about that term being tossed around. Don't brush it off and accuse the offended by saying that it's a choice to feel offended.

I actually reported that post THREE TIMES since the day it was posted about two weeks ago and @george1234 did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about it. Don't even come up with excuses like how you don't know what "fag" means because I CLEARLY DEFINED the derogatory nature of that post in my report submission. So no this didn't come "out of the blue". I discussed the situation with Yui.

By the way, @Hayden Kurosaki, I agree about the N-word, although I'm not Black myself. However, if it's any consolation, I know that Yui herself is in fact Black.

A more "on-topic" comment:
Why am I looping KANTANKATAN whenever I cook.

Also. I read the lyrics for TONBO. HOW SAD! It's literally about two lovers who don't really wanna be together but they're just walking together not to feel lonely. Right? Unless I read it wrong. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I admit my defense of that term was wrong. I know I have a skewed view of reality, as I have not told anyone that I know irl other than those who I trust the most of my sexual orientation, and therefore have not received any discrimination directly aimed at me. I guess where I live, that term is thrown around often enough to where I had forgotten how offensive it is to the group of people that even I myself identify with. Though I barely contributed to that.... *ahem* discussion, I too am guilty of the ignorance that both of you are talking about.

Anyway, back to Hyakka Ryouran, I agree with @sarasara that Tonbo is boring, after a few listens, as is the case with their other piano ballads Mahiru and after (though I disagree about Haru wa Kogane, imo it's one of their prettiest piano ballads)

Also. I read the lyrics for TONBO. HOW SAD! It's literally about two lovers who don't really wanna be together but they're just walking together not to feel lonely. Right? Unless I read it wrong. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I might be biased because of my recent situation, but I understood it as two lovers who reached a point where they're not happy but they prefer to be sad together who knows why YES I KNOW WHY I'M THERE. Well, maybe you're right after all.

///​

As for everything else that happened, I really don't want to get involved. I can't avoid trying to mediate or change the topic in order to recover some kind of peace, but that's how far I'll want to go.

@Atlas Star, after the last 5 page argument in this very fresh thread that involved many, including myself and mr Vyse ~Kalafina haters always start drama, I can't believe you misread me as it never crossed my mind cause I'm a sky pirate above everyone else who I categorized into 2 different camps only seconds before~ Legendaire, I do believe I have a choice to not care much about what he posts on this forum. As do you to feel appalled at my behaviour when it comes to dealing with someone who I perceive to be an internet troll (which I'm sure many consider me as well).

@Atlas Start @Yui Makino Based on the reports i got it seems like you are purposely using vulgar language to challenge me in moderation and find basis for more drama. Or you just enjoy to. Why dont you just go find somewhere else where you can badmouth each other (and your hated artists, too) all you want ? Just STOP making DRAMAS here. Yes @VyseLegendaire did use 1 offensive word but on these pages you two used dozens of them, so who is at fault now ? I got 6 reports, and also Atlas insulting me on his own report on Vyse (why isnt there warning for bad language on reports ?). I will be ussuing warnings the following hours to you two and others if needed.

Sidenote: @AtlasStar : Yes bad language to Hikaru is also inappropriate here, since she cant come read and react to it herself. Go sing the amount of lives she sings and then come back and we will see if you still have the same voice yourself.

Go sing the amount of lives she sings and then come back and we will see if you still have the same voice yourself
what if he did? Would you eat your words? ;)

Edit: Also what difference does it make. It's still Hikaru's fault for not taking care of herself, not anyone elses.

I await these warnings and anticipate to read exactly what you'll be referencing.

@george1234 you completely just proved my point. Even after I explained why I felt a certain way about the use of the word "fagg" you once again dismiss it and failed to identify why I felt the way I did about the way you handled my report, you express no sign of empathy towards it. There's no point in trying to reason with you. You really are just as bright as a box of hair XD!!!

I'm glad a couple of members were able to understand how I felt about that word and stepped up to the plate to say it.

And @grunty I'll NEVER be appalled at what you have to say here. You're one of a handful of members on this forum that actually has sense. I humbly thank you for not leaving Yui and me alone to deal with this situation.

@Aelarion, @Westkana, @Hayden Kurosaki, thank you again for your sympathies. I should also apologize for making such a big mess out of this but alas I couldn't believe that George would just let something like "fag" appear on the forum yet "fuck" is ABSOLUTELY FORBIDDENNNNN. Then again I'm not surprised lmao

But 'fagg' isn't 'fag'.

I'm a white straight male and I apologize. I will try and never offend anyone ever again. As a white straight male I don't know what it is to considered expendable or marginal. I will censor and carefully craft each off-the-cuff comment with the utmost of care as not to offend any of the minorities who demand to be the center of attention even in the most extenuating circumstances. I will abide the loud abusive and sudden accusations of discrimination despite never being made aware of the imagined offense to begin with. I will accept all the pilings on of various shadow stalkers who hang on to perceived threat-words like a pacifier. I can't wait until the internet is entirely scrubbed of all potentially or accidentally offensive content so that I can finally live in absolute peace. Now excuse me while I return to my cave.

Down here is where I browse CPM from. I will endear to preserve the sanctity of this place forever, so trust me when I say all of this.
WS9tE9a.jpg

But 'fagg' isn't 'fag'.

I'm a white straight male and I apologize. I will never try and offend anyone ever again. As a white straight male I don't know what it is to considered expendable or marginal. I will censor and carefully craft each off-the-cuff comment with the utmost of care as not to offend any of the minorities who demand to be the center of attention even in the most extenuating circumstances.

Oh, hold up.

I brought my race and sexuality into this ONLY to reference the source of my experience. I will defend another gay person or black person, sure, but I myself am not a "stereotype" gay OR black person. There is NO need to assume so with your smarminess.
In response to this little quip, I could unnecessarily bring in the VAST amount of stereotypes of white people under the guise of "apologizing", but why? Because that would be a bitch tactic. I could say, for instance, that white straight people get enough attention in the first place. But I don't know what kind of white or straight you are, or because there's a vast number of attitudes. Not just a stereotype.

Allegedly fagg is not fag, just as nigga is not nigger. But why would you tiptoe on the offensive tightrope when you have so many other "off-the-cuff" humor options?

But my original post was not an insult or anything. It was my pointing out that I had edited my previous post where I made a comment about Kantan. Actually I was embarrassed that I made the post so thats why I edited it, and because someone had called it out as being silly…I was running on no sleep at the time. The term I used really was meant to reflect on my own error, like hey 'we're all 'CPM faggs' aren't we, please forgive my errors of song taste'. I've never really ever considered the term to be offensive to gays and I love gays, brah no homo.

So some people appeared and apparently made waves trying to say that I made some grand offensive to gays without even considering the context, and giving no chance to defend myself. I won't edit the post now because that's like some sort of admission of guilt on my part, which I won't accept. These people have forced me to do public battle with them because in fact THEY called me out with a public battle cry. This is not a debate but an attempted at public shaming, a typical tactic of the Leftist Marxists who have co-opted the gay identity to try and attack basic sense and logic by handing them a victim card which they can flash to try and bully people into submission.

I used "fags" here, too. Tldr I'm just bitter from the previous argument in this thread.

These people have forced me to do public battle with them because in fact THEY called me out with a public battle cry.
Actually we were calling George out for not responding to my reports lmao and I was referencing Aelarion's post about it being a choice when it comes to being offended, with which we are on good terms now, when I mentioned the bullying. Sooooo although you were the one who wrote he post with the word "fagg" in it, this situation is hardly about you...

I don't expect you to feel any type of way about this nor do I expect you to genuinely apologize for anything cus who are we kidding LMAO

Actually we were calling George out for not responding to my reports lmao and I was referencing Aelarion's post about it being a choice when it comes to being offended, with which we are on good terms now, when I mentioned the bullying. Sooooo although you were the one who wrote he post with the word "fagg" in it, this situation is hardly about you...

I don't expect you to feel any type of way about this nor do I expect you to genuinely apologize for anything cus who are we kidding LMAO

Well the post was from me though. So of course it has to do with me now.

Well the post was from me though. So of course it has to do with me now.
Yeaaaaa I was hoping that the private reports I was sending George would've dissolved the situation in private.... LMFAAAOO

Alas I was violently ignored. A hypothetical situation would've been him sending you a private message about the use of that word and how it may be considered offensive to others in the forum. But noooo...

Back