Kalafina 18th single "One Light" for Arslan Senki [confirmed]

Apparently she got a cold around Budokan:comeback:. If it's anything like when Wakana got the flu then we might have to wait a few months because Wakana's had some lasting effects till around budokan. (Examples: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4bvhNnZKNQ , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u200_1z6JQU ) But I think every singer has some off performances, it's only natural.
A friend said she already recovered at AFA Thai.

Hikaru spoke normally at Budokan. It sounded nothing like a cold. Said friend also said it has happened in the past before, at the Christmas acoustic lives. It's is more likely to be stress/nerves related. I could dig up one of the Kalafina books that spoke about it but I can't remember which and don't really want to go searching whole books for this. On another note.. I hope I was not the one who speculated that she had a cold. lol. I can't remember anything I said back then.

Yuriko Kaida can sing Materialise even when she's down with a cold and can hardly speak but that's because she's on a whole other level.

Honesty I would be happy if they stopped singing Aria altogether... but we will see what happens next time.
Why Aria in particular? Because Hikaru can't handle it? It's just that one time... And it's not like she sounded great for every other song that day.

Its BUDOKAN!!! Only one of the biggest performances of their career..maybe she was nervous as hell?! Maybe she was intimidated by learning the dance steps/ hand movements, remembering song lyrics, where to stand during a song..
How condescending could you get? Stop treating Hikaru like someone who needs to be babied. She's far more capable than you seem to think. Initimidated? LOL. Believe it or not, you're far more insulting than ritardando ever was.

I don't blame them when they make mistakes, but I sure as hell don't go wishing that they do. What the hell? I champion the mantra that no two lives are the same but it sure as hell isn't because they sometimes sound flat.

Argh. I'm gonna take another break from this forum.

I'm stopping at this even though i can point out more flaws in LacrimosaRaven's post.
I'm trying to resist too... Hard...

Ehh I don't even know if I should comment but here I go lol

When you have a cold or a bad throat condition you can't control the way your voice comes out consistently, and you can go off pitch as well. Since Hikaru's voice problems have happened since Budoukan and IMO are clearly there in Mahiru, it's been a while and I don't think that's really what's to blame here, although I was wishful thinking in my earlier reply.

She might be trying to use a different vocal technique for whatever reason and hasn't perfected it well, but unless it's detrimental to her voice (as in, straining or stuff like that) I'd much rather prefer if she sang the way she's always done it, even if it's shouty or nasal because I PERSONALLY like that in her, even if it's not technically accurate or whatever.

Only time will tell what happens with her voice from here on out, I don't really know much about Hikaru's background as in, I don't know if she's had formal vocal training or not, so I can't comment on her experience or anything like that, but she sounded normal in One Light and ring your bell and she sounded great imo in "in every nothing" so I hope that this is just a fluke (caused by whatever reason) and that she can continue to hone her technique and sound amazing.

off topic, but I don't understand why so many people ragequit the forum all the time? Maybe I'm part of really feisty or over the top fandoms, but this forum is pretty mild even among the people who have negative opinions so I'm just wondering :confu:

Ehh I don't even know if I should comment but here I go lol

When you have a cold or a bad throat condition you can't control the way your voice comes out consistently, and you can go off pitch as well. Since Hikaru's voice problems have happened since Budoukan and IMO are clearly there in Mahiru, it's been a while and I don't think that's really what's to blame here, although I was wishful thinking in my earlier reply.

She might be trying to use a different vocal technique for whatever reason and hasn't perfected it well, but unless it's detrimental to her voice (as in, straining or stuff like that) I'd much rather prefer if she sang the way she's always done it, even if it's shouty or nasal because I PERSONALLY like that in her, even if it's not technically accurate or whatever.

Only time will tell what happens with her voice from here on out, I don't really know much about Hikaru's background as in, I don't know if she's had formal vocal training or not, so I can't comment on her experience or anything like that, but she sounded normal in One Light and ring your bell and she sounded great imo in "in every nothing" so I hope that this is just a fluke (caused by whatever reason) and that she can continue to hone her technique and sound amazing.

off topic, but I don't understand why so many people ragequit the forum all the time? Maybe I'm part of really feisty or over the top fandoms, but this forum is pretty mild even among the people who have negative opinions so I'm just wondering :confu:
Apparently according to a private interview with Hikaru located in the Englsih text section of CPM's interviews her mother trained her ever since she was little and she always sang to every song on the radio purely by ear when she was very young. Her mother also taught her abdominal breathing techniques from a very early age and I believe she was at a talent school for a short period. So she mightn't have gotten much vocal training in when she started as a child compared to someone like Keiko who got lessons when she started at 13. Hikaru has also never mentioned being in a choir like Kalafina's other members. Still though it isn't much of an excuse in the long run since it's easy to get a vocal coach and train at any age, their's just less under her belt compared to the rest of Kalafina. I think Hikaru is a reflective person. She like Keiko would think of ways to better herself after every live. It might be a vocal technique for more lighter songs. She'll get there even if she gives up the technique and tries something else, She'd never quit. Kalafina means so much to Hikaru.

Why Aria in particular? Because Hikaru can't handle it? It's just that one time... And it's not like she sounded great for every other song that day.
It's mostly out of personal preference than anything else. While I do like Aria, I'd rather listen to another song. I think Hikaru can definitely handle it, she was just having an off day. I'm sorry if I sounded offensive because it really wasn't my intention...

Ahh thanks for the info! I have a feeling Hikaru is the least popular Kala member in the international community at least, so it's not as easy to come across info about her. Yeah, I hope everything works out for the best, Wakana came out of her struggle and even though her voice sounds lighter now, she's still great and maybe more versatile now. I have hope that the same will happen to Hikaru.

Aria is defintely the song that she can probably keep singing no matter what, since lets not forget that it was her very first song in Kalafina and it was one of the ones she sung to choose her for the group, which means that if she cant handle that one it means that her singing has worsened since we can compare her now and back then anytime.

Aria is defintely the song that she can probably keep singing no matter what, since lets not forget that it was her very first song in Kalafina and it was one of the ones she sung to choose her for the group, which means that if she cant handle that one it means that her singing has worsened since we can compare her now and back then anytime.
She sang Houseki to get chosen.

And honestly, ARIA is a very difficult song to sing because HIKARU has to jump very far with her notes, especially in the chorus ("hatenai" - in this word along, she jumps a whole octave). It's a song that requires a lot of vocal cord control, since she has to add power on top of the rapid jumps.

I'm just personally bored of the song.

Has anyone notice that Samidare ga sugita koro ni is similar to Hanako To Anne OST 1 tracklist number 6 the title is "crossroad" or [ わかれみち] in japanese .. i just found a lot of similar melody on both songs :XD:

Ηehe then perhaps she was either asked to make song but was out of ideas so she used one of the HtA melodies, or she was planning this song for HtA but they didnt end up using it ?

edit: Lyrics up!
https://canta-per-me.net/lyrics/one-light/
https://canta-per-me.net/lyrics/mahiru/
https://canta-per-me.net/lyrics/samidare-ga-sugita-koro-ni/

Last edited:
^Interesting. I will have to listen tomorrow when I am feeling better, but that wouldn't be the first time. Since wasn't it Yuki herself who said that she composed many different songs, some get used, some do not. But if there are some similarities, then that's okay? Or something to that effect. Like Yami no Uta was a song before the Kalafina version, right?

yes, the melody seems to have bits from Crossroads. but I don't think it's written with the same feelings at heart :D

this is something Kajiura does VERY often. changing the melody here and there, creating a different song. you'll find many similarities but Kajiura masterfully arranges songs so they have different flavors. Of course this doesn't mean they go unnoticed or that the song got better/worse. e.g. I love Crossroads but I find Samidare funny.

Ill be honest; I still don't hear the similarities between samidare and wakaremichi

Samidare reminds me of Neverending on AE if anything. The surprising part is, that doesn't really bother me. Not as much as, say, TTB sounding like a Parallel Hearts retread!

the only bit which may be similar, I find is Samidare's the repeating motif 1:05-1:20 and the climax of wakaremichi

(anyway the similarity is not substantial imo)

I actually listened to the two right after each other, Samidare and neverending that is, and they do have the same feel to them, just not the same tempo or melody. So they are different, but I guess it's because of the lalalas that we think of neverending. heh

Back