Japanese Language Help

I wondered if there were Japanese crosswords, and what they were like:

https://twitter.com/beingtokyo/status/696566651106361344

I find doing crosswords is a good way to learn vocab. I always "cheat" partly, because my main aim is study.

CanYeoMXEAAKsEH.jpg

Dear Kugayama-san,

About the crossword puzzles, I know just how you feel!!

Hello everyone. I once read that Japanese is written as it sounds (the article was mentioning that there are no spelling bees in Japan). But what about words like "konshuu" (one meaning is this week; the other one is this/next fall)?

Secondly, I would like to direct attention to the (koto) in the following sentence: Omae no iu koto o shinjirareru ka!! (Lelouch to Suzaku in Code Geass R2).

Is this "koto" adding emphasis or does it mean "thing" here? Plus since the kanji for (iu) also can be used for words like (kotoba), would the kanji for (iu) technically be written twice? Finally, when Koto is used for emphasis, is it spelled differently?

Thank you.

Hello everyone. I once read that Japanese is written as it sounds (the article was mentioning that there are no spelling bees in Japan). But what about words like "konshuu" (one meaning is this week; the other one is this/next fall)?

Secondly, I would like to direct attention to the (koto) in the following sentence: Omae no iu koto o shinjirareru ka!! (Lelouch to Suzaku in Code Geass R2).

Is this "koto" adding emphasis or does it mean "thing" here? Plus since the kanji for (iu) also can be used for words like (kotoba), would the kanji for (iu) technically be written twice? Finally, when Koto is used for emphasis, is it spelled differently?

Thank you.
They would be spelled the same in hiragana, but the kanji is different of course, otherwise people would not know which konshuu. Alternatively, if there is no kanji you can see the context of the word in the sentence to know the meaning.

In that sentence it means "thing". ie. "As if I can believe in what (the thing) you are saying!"
Yes, it can but not required.
Koto is only こと or 事, so again it depends on what you prefer.

Dear Shiro-san,

Thank you so much for the reply. It really clears things up.

Hello everyone. Two questions-1. Can anyone clear up the meaning of "iwarete" for me? 2. This construction-Tatoe nani ga atte mo, ore ga mamoru/No matter what happens, I will protect you-shouldn't it be "ore ga omae o mamoru"?

Thanks.

Okay, from several types of Anime/VNs I've heard characters say "あの" sometimes when saying "Huh" or being surprised about something I believe not necessarily referring to "That over there". So I was wondering if it was another use of the word あの because from what I understand a Noun has to follow "あの、その、この、or どの” in order to use them or else it has to be ”あれ” Or if I'm confusing it with a different word commonly used in Japanese?

Also is the word "えと” used as a "pause word" similar to "uh" or "um" when a person needs a moment to figure out how to say or respond to something?

Hello everyone. Two questions-1. Can anyone clear up the meaning of "iwarete" for me? 2. This construction-Tatoe nani ga atte mo, ore ga mamoru/No matter what happens, I will protect you-shouldn't it be "ore ga omae o mamoru"?

Thanks.
1. Generally there is an いる on the end of iwarete, so it will mean along the lines of "it is said that…"
2. You are not incorrect, however in Japanese there is a lot of implied wording so ore ga mamoru is ok.

Okay, from several types of Anime/VNs I've heard characters say "あの" sometimes when saying "Huh" or being surprised about something I believe not necessarily referring to "That over there". So I was wondering if it was another use of the word あの because from what I understand a Noun has to follow "あの、その、この、or どの” in order to use them or else it has to be ”あれ” Or if I'm confusing it with a different word commonly used in Japanese?

Also is the word "えと” used as a "pause word" similar to "uh" or "um" when a person needs a moment to figure out how to say or respond to something?
I only know あれ to be "Huh?" /surprise . Perhaps you misheard?
あの and その can be used like um…
You are correct about えと

Dear Shiro-san,

Thank you for clearing that up. About the implied wording--will I ever be able to get that? I mean, will I ever know if something is being implied without it being explicitly stated? You may not believe it, but the same style is used in Urdu (Pakistan's language), and because of that, my sisters and I had to learn English first.

Dear Shiro-san,

Thank you for clearing that up. About the implied wording--will I ever be able to get that? I mean, will I ever know if something is being implied without it being explicitly stated? You may not believe it, but the same style is used in Urdu (Pakistan's language), and because of that, my sisters and I had to learn English first.
In my opinion, yes you will.
It's quite simple to infer who the speaker is talking about generally.

Watching a clip of Minami Kuribayashi singing "Precious Memories", there is a line which in romaji is:

Sugita toki wo oshiete kureta

The last part was written:

過ぎた時間を教えてくれた

Could anyone help explain the meaning and the use of the "kureta" part?

Watching a clip of Minami Kuribayashi singing "Precious Memories", there is a line which in romaji is:

Sugita toki wo oshiete kureta

The last part was written:

過ぎた時間を教えてくれた

Could anyone help explain the meaning and the use of the "kureta" part?
教えてくれた means "taught me" …. i'm really terrible with lyrics but literally that line means "___ taught me time that has passed"
~~~
ie.
教えてくれる? can you teach/tell me?
so basically kureta/kureru etc is used when something is done for you.
i'm sorry if i'm not much help...

Hello everyone. I hope you all have been well. Can anyone explain to me the differences between the following words:
1. Shinzou vs. kokoro
2. Unmei vs. sadame
3. Omou vs. kangaeru
4. Ato vs. nochi
5. Jibun vs. mizukara
6. Oboeru vs. omoidasu

Plus, would anyone like to recommend a good online dictionary?
Thanks and take care.

I'm under the impression that shinzou refers to the physical heart whereas kokoro is more abstract (feelings/soul)

jisho.org is my go-to online dictionary

Dear Aki-san,

Thanks for the help. Another question--
Naruto Shippuden released a DCD for the Road to Ninja movie called “Charasuke”. Does the “Chara” in this refer to chara’s first meaning (nonsense) because Sasuke is a complete opposite from his real world self. I think Ino also pronounces the word as “chara” rather than “chara” from “character” which would be pronounced in Katakana. Am I making sense, or am I reading too much into it?

Thanks and take care.

Dear Aki-san,

This is all I could find. The YouTube link where I retrieved it from is below too. Hope it helps.

ナルト6:忍者ドラマCDへの道
(Naruto 6: Road to Ninja Drama CD)

Charasukeへの道
(Road To Charasuke)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGEa602Xm_Q

Plus, I once asked about "daitai"; I couldn't give a concrete example, but I have found one in these lyrics. Maybe you can explain that as well.

From the song "Prime Position" from Kuroko no Basuke:
タツヤのスゴさわかってねーな だいたいオマエ困らせんなよ

Tatsuya no sugosa wakkateneena daitai omae komarasennayo

You don’t understand how amazing Tatsuya is do you? For the most part don’t trouble him!

Thanks and take care.

Maybe Charasuke is simply a place name

jisho.org tells me that だいたい means "in the first place/to start with." It's the "for the most part" in the translated lyrics.

I think it might be charai + Sasuke ?
in which case, the meaning would be "frivolous"

the meaning of daitai changes with context but it does mean "generally/for the most part" and can also mean "about" as in the amount sense… but i think "in the first place" fits better in that lyrics.

Maybe Charasuke is simply a place name

jisho.org tells me that だいたい means "in the first place/to start with." It's the "for the most part" in the translated lyrics.

Dear Aki-san,

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't think it's a place, but you never know--maybe the person who name the DCD is thinking along the lines that Naruto and Sakura went to another dimension where their friends' personalities are completely warped. Then the DCD carries into the movie's adventure.

Take care.

Back