FictionJunction 4th Single - distance/eternal blue

ninetales said:
Not impressed at all with Distance. The opening (very beginning till drums segue) was very good despite pinched Wakana, but it went to Manten arrange + Kagayaku composition from there.

It's hard to miss the similarities to Manten, but I found the uh, feel of Distance to be quite different and you can see how great I am when it comes to talking technically about music :desksweat: Never mind. Well, that's just my opinion anyway ^_^

ninetales said:
I notice Wakana sounds much more like herself (lol @ my choice of words) in Eternal Blue, likely because it was recorded around a year ago.

This, I totally agree with, I had pretty much the exact same thoughts while listening to eternal blue :XD: I felt really nostalgic for that past Wakana...

xD I agree on the note that Distance and manten are super similar... I mean that refrain of KAORI at the very end right before WAKANA's with a lower key is just like HIKARU's "yasuragi no aru to ...." before WAKANA's "shizuka ni matataku...." in manten

I did get it from cdjapan and unfortunately there was no external bonus. But I still like it. And I still love the ending in Distance. While it may not be a really significant song, it's still nice, I think. And I love violin, which there was a lot of in this single. :dote:

Loved both songs <3
Wakana is AWESOME on eternal blue, I really enjoy her voice in this song. Everyone did a great job!
Well, I do prefer distance over manten, but love them both. I just can't resist Kaori :shy:

Keiko's lines and Yukiro's chorus are great as usual!

WHERE'S THE PV? :cry:

Re:

I like Eternal Blue more than Distance...
its give the :hero: and :TdT: feeling just like To The Beginning

I think distance does fit for Gundam Seed's ending theme.

Sorry i dont know many technical stuffs about music. Like many terms like soprano, alto, key changes, ect or things like that :XD:

so i judge how do i like my musics from from what i feel about the feeling and emotion of the music :XD:

george1234 said:
As for distance, really like how the strings go at 1:15-1:19, but I dont like how the song turns ballad-ish at 1:24-1:39, this should have stayed upbeat imo. Also I really like Kaori's screams at the end of each refrain, they give a very tragic tone to the song. But the Yuriko chorus sounds too Red Moon-ish too me.

btw george, i got impression u r kinda ambiguous there :XD:
i wonder if do u mean that u do like distance or not ? :XD:

The PV might pop out tomorrow in case they decided to release it on the single's release date.

BUT why there's no "profiles" page on the official so-called "site" http://www.jvcmusic.co.jp/fj/ it only has links to the JVC pages now :uh..: :cry:

@Zoa: I dislike some parts but I like all the rest of it lol

It's hard to miss the similarities to Manten, but I found the uh, feel of Distance to be quite different and you can see how great I am when it comes to talking technically about music :desksweat: Never mind. Well, that's just my opinion anyway ^_^

Hmm. I do agree (there are quite a few sections different from Manten), but it's really the composition and arrange that stands out the most to me, and not in a good way. To some extent, a different arrangement might have even distracted from the composition and made the song sound less derivative, so to speak. So it bugs me a little, lol.

@George: It's a little hard to explain. There are key changes that are "connected" in music - for example, going from A minor to C major, or from A minor to D minor. However, the changes in Distance don't sound like they have that "connection" to me - I'm reasonably sure that the verses are in E minor and the choruses are in G minor, which are technically connected (E minor goes up to G major, so just change major to minor) but they don't "flow" into each other, they just change out of nowhere, especially between verses and choruses. It sounds as though YK said "let's put key changes in" and did it without making it fit well. tbh she seems to be doing that a lot lately - TTB, Manten, and Yane no mukou ni all come to mind

^
^really? Yaaaaay!

I found it kind of hard again to tell the difference between the voices. Obviously it's Wakana in the beginning of EB, but sometimes it was hard to tell. heh With the acception of Keiko.

@niney: well since she does it so often maybe she likes it that way, I dont think she would be releasing a song without liking the way its composed, and repeat it in many songs too :XD:

since I have never studied music (just some notes in elementary school - which I have noe completely forgotten) I still dont get what you mean :XD:

^ Sorry 'bout that...like I said, it's tough to explain. In the end it all comes down to your opinion on how it sounds - I'm sure there are lots of people who'd have no problem with the changes, whereas they bother me a little.

Err well... Distance is Manten for FJ, I see. It's was nice to hear Kaori's voice instead of Hikaru's, but Kajiura seemed to forget Yuriko was officially the part of FJ too so she could have given a couple of lines to her too.

Distance is very similar to Manten; I think everyone agrees. The time signature is 3/4, it's ballad-y, full strings plastered everywhere - Yeh, Manten in a nutshell. I mean, there's nothing wrong with the song, it's just that, in my opinion, it's too similar to what Yuki Kajiura is currently writing. Dare I say, it's a generic Yuki Kajiura song. I do like the ascending vocal parts and think that Wakana sounds better than she did on To The Beginning(?).

And it's OK Ninetales - I get where your coming from concerning the key-change into the chorus. To my ears, it's a little unnecessary. My brain doesn't pick up on it until roughly 2 bars in, which feels a little jarring.

Eternal Blue is the better of the two for sure. It sounds like a classic FJ track. Wakana definitely sounds more balanced. It's nice to hear the synths, piano and solo violin again. Unlike Distance, the key change into the chorus is very plain to hear - much better choice of keys! As you have said though, this was written and recorded a while ago, which saddens me in a way.

:spotlight:

^ Agree 100%. As for Wakana sounding better, I have no idea why, since she sings about the same thing in both Distance and TTB. Also, I have no idea why the former starts out at G minor and then hovers between E minor and A minor for the rest of the piece...

I think Distance is gundam ending and it's fit in it not like manten they are to different to one another . KAORI AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH and it's first part, keiko second part of the song yuriko best for kajiurago and wakana main vocal in high notes ending part just like to the beginning of kalafina . funeral song for gundam gegeg:) and i notice keiko voice is not as much deep like kalafina approach

Eternal blue rocks and it is worth it for waiting it for almost 1 yr . very different approach of FJ . I hope eternal blue will have it's own pv than distance . battle approach theme song , there is some part keiko voice become to0 distinct like a glitch. happy for kaori and keiko getting there solo part

Distance vs eternal blue

winner

Eternal Blue (almost 1 yr ) :sohappy:

I agree with everyone who talks about how great both Wakana and Keiko sound. In the bridge, Keiko's voice is at its best. Though short, I think its one of her best recordings. She has great vibrato, support, and emotion. :nosebleed:

I definitely understand why people think Distance sounds like Manten. It has a very similar structure, the difference being Kaori singing where Hikaru would be.

That said, I actually love the track. Then again, Manten is one of my absolute favorite Kalafina songs, so I'm slightly biased. I like the use of strings without the electric guitar until the end of the song, since it is slightly slower paced and has a different feel. I feel that this song is a bit more tender and has more of a legato feel than Manten does. I know some people don't like the key changes, but for me it keeps the track fresh and interesting, which is important for a ballad. I really love the Kajiurago at the very end of the piece. It's so dream-like.

Overall, I prefer Manten to Distance, though. It's still a ballad, but has a lot of movement and power to it. Plus, I think the tune is prettier.

This is a great single. I can't really say whether I like Eternal Blue or Distance better, simply because they are such different tracks with such different styles that is is very difficult to compare them justly. Maybe I'm weird because I feel it tough to compare them, but for me it's like trying to compare an elephant and a shark. Both are really cool, but they're too different to really compare against one another.

Manten: It sounds kinda weak, but I dunno if that's because of volume or quality difference or something else. It reminds me of Toki no Mukou in how subdued it is, which is a shame, 'cause I kinda like the violin melody and despite the similarities I think I would like it if it sounded stronger, but it just feels... lacking.

Also, I much prefer Hikaru to Kaori, so Manten v.01 is still the master in that regard. Hikaru's voice has oomph, while I feel like Kaori's voice is more suited to songs that don't need much belting and more control, which is pretty much Wakana's forte, so it's like double smoothness with none of the raw power that Hikaru slams on the table.

Then again, Keiko solo, which is a pretty convincing argument.

etsanarr buruuuuuu: Yet again, it has a pretty pathetic sound. It's like they didn't even try to put any bang to their buck, and it sounds pretty quiet and unimpressive. The weird transition from Kaori to Wakana is a bit jarring and unfitting, like there should be a bridge building up the chorus-y bits instead of just KAORIKAORIKAO-- SUDDENLY WAKANA!!!

It feels like this should be a boss single, but listening to it gives me the impression that it's really unpolished. The instruments don't really sound like they're supporting the singers and they sound more like they're trying to goad them into a shouting match to see who's loudest instead. That's probably why the voices don't feel to me like they have a lot of strength to them, even though the singers themselves sound pretty awesome, Wakana and Keiko especially. But I'm biased.

Certainly not worth the year wait.

imo.
tumblr_lw9rkknkMc1qbjq43.jpg

Edit: Maybe it's my headphones? But Parallel Hearts and Stone Cold and all the other songs save for Toki no Mukou sound like they've got a lot of wham in the delivery, so idk.

The songs are growing on me :nosebleed:
The more I listen to them, the more I want a PV... for both, please *shot*
I think I like distance more, but still... eternal blue is so beautiful.

Back