Fena: Pirate Princess: OST & OP & Taiyou no Kouro ENG ver in Junna's "Dear"

I was expecting that with this kind of plot they were going for a 2nd season because the story barely unfolded at all. We dont know most character backstory besides a bit of Fena, Shitan, and Yukimaru. The Pirate girls were killed so fast while im sure alot of work was put at designing them, we dont know why that british naval general wants Fena so much we dont know about the oldman, or where that destination were all memories come back is. I guess they ll speed things up by just going to the island, a door or two opens, and then there is a waterfall of information in last episode, naval dude dies and Fena and Yukimaru and Co live happy ever after lol

Next episode will have some Abel backstory. (The Toonami next ep preview spoils it. How much of it will actually be the focus of the episode, we have to wait and see...)
Hard spoiler warning before you look the above up. I only checked it for music last week and am sorry I did, lol.

Also Fena's lalala song has lyrics in another ep9 preview. Whether we actually get a proper recording of it is another question...

Only the US next episode promos.
If you don't care about going in completely blind, you can click my spoilers. I definitely would advise against looking up the actual promos though - I certainly wish I wasn't that curious last week.
The new episode airs soon, lol.

Edit: Also I think I phrased that 2nd spoiler wrong a bit. What I meant is that I don't know if it's Kajiura related or just something they cooked up for the anime's story.

Last edited:
Lol at this part (summarily translated)
Nakazawa: That's why I thoroughly brushed up the picture, and re-edited the film scoring scene.
Interviewer: So Kajiura could be credited as author too?
Nakazawa: I think it's okay if we do it.
Kajiura: No way!

I was expecting that with this kind of plot they were going for a 2nd season because the story barely unfolded at all. We dont know most character backstory besides a bit of Fena, Shitan, and Yukimaru.
I guess they ll speed things up by just going to the island, a door or two opens, and then there is a waterfall of information in last episode, naval dude dies and Fena and Yukimaru and Co live happy ever after lol
I think we'll get an open-end, with many or most questions remaining unsolved. They seem to be opened for a prospective new season, that will depend on the success in America. Idk if it's the same tactic in Japan, but nowadays many shows get abruptely cancelled in the states following bad audiences or because of new studio directives. What I mean is that Fena's story will not necessarily be rushed... at least I hope so.

Something about 4 minute tracks and Kajiura approaching the show's music as (or ending up with) a concept album to the visuals she got, rather than BGM.
Last(final?) episode apparently has some film scoring.
Yes long tracks plz! This also could explain why there doesn't seem to be that many tracks in the show.
A final scene with film scoring? Maybe a plot-twist or some beautiful never-ending melody with Yukimaru worshipping Fena's leg? Exciting.

There's at least 30 tracks so far. ;p

Yea, has to be open ended with the way they phrased it.
Question is what they accomplish.
Will we reach Eden? Will the squad defeat Kei, Abel or both?
How many answers to what's happening will we get?

Last edited:
live-blogging:
Oh shit "Vice Versa". So they were talking about this episode in the interview. I thought it was about some song, lol. (post-episode: lolme)
New track chills. Based JVC.
Some of the visuals in this episode are just wowzers.
Wait fuck. Is this Maaya Sakamoto? (post-episode: yes it was)
NGL this was a really good and beautifuly made flashback. More questions than answers but really good.
Dat riddle montage. The direction in this episode is honestly fantastic. (post-episode: yes it was)
FFFFFFFFFFF
"Vice Versa" is THE song! Now I'm really curious if we get a full vocal FJ feat. Joelle with those lyrics and not just kajiurago.

post-episode:
op // 038, new?044, 021, 001, 038 // 022, 002 (seiyuu), ?002 (Joelle ver instrumental I presume, but I'll leave 045 for it just in case), 026, 027 // ed

Lyrics we got in this episode. No idea if it's by Kajiura or just the show writers but it seems like such an intergral part of the show that uh yeah.
「Vice Versa」

金色越ゆる 神等の御国
格子の舞台 巫女よ舞い踊れ

波先に遥か 乙女の眠り
来し方南雪 冷炎の刻

黒き碧水 白の乱雲
終わりの旅路 道標の石

行く末沈む 東の夕陽
走れ今こそ 方舟の彼方

romaji:
konjiki koyuru kamura no mikuni
kōshi no butai miko yo mai odore

hasaki ni haruka otome no nemuri
kishikata mi yuki reien no koku

kuroki hekisui shiro no ran'un
owari no tabiji dōhyō no seki

yukusue shizumu higashi no yūhi
hashire ima koso hakobune no kanata

CR translation:
More than golden, the land of the gods.
Atop the lattice stage, dance, o shrine maiden.

Far across the waves, the maid slumbers.
What came before is south snows, in the hour of cold flame.

Dark blue water, white storm clouds.
The journey to the end, the stone that shows the way.

What lies ahead is the sun setting in the east.
Now is the time to run, beyond the ark.

Some shower thoughts:
So Yukimaru sings these lyrics in the show... which means he would also have to sing it in English Dub. Lyrics would be different.

If this song has a Japanese Joelle version... would we also get an English Joelle version?
Or maybe this just points to us only getting a kajiurago version...

From next episode preview: m040 from rips has choirs.

Last edited:
Yeah the flashback was gorgeous. That dancing animation was stunning

I think this episode would have hit a bit harder if we actually got to know abel a bit better beforehand. It's beautiful and tragic but he's just such a non character right now.

The music was so so so nice this episode. Joelle was such a good pick for this project

I do have to say...Yukimaru's VA has a horrible singing voice lol

Last edited:
Iunno. I liked Abel since the start so I'm fine with everything that happened here, lol.

One thing I'd maybe like to see more of is O'Malley's relationship with him but that's more on her than on him as we learned. And who knows, maybe we will get to see that later.

And another is that I wish they had just a little more on who he is exactly and how he got to be in his position of power. Like strictly from this flashback:
"I'm supposedly a prince. But they say I'll never be king."
Why supposedly? Is it just a figure of speech or is it/he not even certain, lol.

But maybe I'm dum or should rewatch the show soon. Or:
Is the implication here that The King that got Helena pregnant is also Abel's father (since he is "supposedly" a prince)? Would also explain why they're both on the same property and Abel is living the good and military life. Guess I'm dum indeed.
But Abel also says he does't have any family - was that just a spoiled kid brooding/lamenting over his busy dad and not a literal fact? :|
But then that makes him in love with his step sisters mother... OOoof. Obviously that was all done before Fena came to be. Still messed up.
Edit: I rewatched the episode when the site was down and Abel literally states this when he visits her cell, lol. I don't know how I missed this - maybe I was editing my original post with music cues. I'm dum.

The entire delivery of this flashback was insanely good for me. Pacing, music, visuals, montages/transitions. A++

Last edited:
Great episode. Remarkable storytelling and character development. I can fully understand his pain and how lost he is. I still agree that more character development through several flashbacks prior to this one would have been better.

Wow, this new track. Maybe Kajiura will reach a "preparation" level again one day! Dance is good yeah although not on a KyoAni level.
This music box bgm though, so boring and especially how they are spamming it...

The way they solve the mystery is thrilling. "Vice Versa" aka "Up is Down" lol
Okay, now we want some actual sea scenes!

holy shit they better have that song made, call it Vice Versa and have Joelle sing it.

I loved in the flashback, how every environment was water colors as if Abel painted them.

Joelle sounds sure fine :) of course the track afterwards sounds great still.

I think Eden does not exist lol. It could be a person perhaps? From this episode I understand that there is some religious fundamentalism involved here =I hadn't really guessed, I just assumed a fantasy adventure treasure hunt kind of thing for Eden= the name should have given it away lol. on second thoughts after seeing the island come out of the ocean maaaaabe Eden is there :p

ooooh the last track has xylophone/bells too. I like this one too. also the violin version of this in Episode 5.

Last edited:
@Justisamuel The kyoani dances are too moe while if im not misteken Helena was already adult at the time of the dance. Her dance was beautiful and elegant but not "moe".
KyoAni: hold my frames
(I admit it's pointless to compare. I apologize in advance.)
865adfa9b4fb8bcfe50fab082d772c3a.gif

ooooh the last track has xylophone/bells too. I like this one too. also the violin version of this in Episode 5.
Last track? When does it play in episode 5?
I went back to check again and did notice it was used in ep4 though (027 in rips).

KyoAni: hold my frames
(I admit it's pointless to compare. I apologize in advance.)
View attachment 24642
Is it bad that I don't actually find that particularly appealing visually? (Maybe it works in the show though and I do acknowledge the animation effort.)

(Is it from Violet Evergarden? I remember watching the first episode and hating whatever processing effects they were using on visuals. But maybe I remember wrong...)

Edit: Edited the fuck out of my previous 2 posts. Moved shit around.
Fixed the last music cue in listing. Added romaji to the song.

Last edited:
indeed it is 4 sorry. but yes that's the track I had in mind. they might be one whole track, and I actually hope that it is. IF NOT I WILL MERGE THEM

Nothing of interest but Kajiura was liveblogging ep1 an hour ago at FJukatsu. (Maybe she's watching on Tokyo MX rather than MBS.)

I've been too lazy to post music impressions after every episode. I'mma wait till the soundtrack, BUT I gotta say the track that plays during the Helena scene is gorgeous. Some bits reminded me of Aerith's theme.

Also, Umi to Shinju is out at Hikari no akari, but the instrumental is missing.

Last edited:
Back