Fena: Pirate Princess: OST & OP & Taiyou no Kouro ENG ver in Junna's "Dear"

From the booklet. I got tired while adding romanized names, sry. You can find the other names on vgmdb.
MUSICIANS
All Keyboards & Programming: 梶浦由記

Electric Guitar: 是永巧一 /Koichi Korenaga
Acoustic Guitar: 田代耕一郎 /Koichiro Tashiro
Drums: 佐藤強一 /Kyoichi Sato
Bass: 高橋"Jr."知治 /Tomoharu "Jr." Takahashi
Percussion: 中島オバヲ /Obawo Nakajima
Accordion: 佐藤芳明 /Yoshiaki Sato

Flute: 赤木りえ・髙桑英世 /Rie Akagi, Hideyo Takakuwa

Strings: 今野 均Strings
1st Violin: 今野 均・徳永友美・岡部磨知・亀田夏絵・亀井友莉・小林修子
2nd Violin: 伊能修・今野暁子・中島優紀・川口静華
Viola: 菊地幹代・大沼幸江・二木美里
Cello: 西方正輝・稲本有彩
Contrabass: 赤池光治

Strings trio
Violin: 今野 均 /Hitoshi Konno
Viola: 生野正樹 /Masaki Shono
Cello: 西方正輝 /Masateru Nishikata

Trumpet: 本間千也・河原史弥
Trombone: 鹿討 奏・鳥塚心輔
Horn: 高橋臣宜・勝俣 泰

Vocal: Joelle

Chorus: 東京混声合唱団
Soprano: 岡田眞弥・東中千佳
Alto: 志村美土里・小林音葉
Tenor: 志村一繁・平野太一朗
Bartone: 佐々木武彦・伊藤浩

Original Soundtrack STAFF
Sound Producer: 梶浦由記

Producer: 森 康哲(HIGHWAY STAR)

Recording & Mixing Engineer: 小岩孝志(SIGN SOUND)
Recording Engineer: 近藤真奈美(SIGN SOUND)

Recording Studio:
SOUND CITY
FREEDOM STUDIO
SOUND INN STUDIO
SIGN SOUND

Score Support: 石川洋光

Musicians Co-ordination: 須藤一男(HOT WAVE)

Mastering Engineer: 袴田剛史 /Takeshi Hakamata
Mastering Studio: FLAIR MASTERING WORKS

Last edited:
MUSICIANS
All Keyboards & Programming: 梶浦由記

Electric Guitar: 是永巧一 /Koichi Korenaga
Acoustic Guitar: 田代耕一郎 /Koichiro Tashiro
Drums: 佐藤強一 /Kyoichi Sato
Bass: 高橋"Jr."知治 /Tomoharu "Jr." Takahashi
Percussion: 中島オバヲ /Obawo Nakajima
Accordion: 佐藤芳明 /Yoshiaki Sato

Flute: 赤木りえ・髙桑英世 /Rie Akagi, Hideyo Takakuwa

Strings: 今野 均Strings
1st Violin: 今野 均 Hitoshi Konno・徳永友美 Tomomi Tokunaga・岡部磨知 Machi Okabe・亀田夏絵 Natsue Kameda・亀井友莉 Yuri Kamei・小林修子 Shuko Kobayashi
2nd Violin: 伊能修 Osamu Iyoku・今野暁子 Akiko Konno・中島優紀 Yuji Nakajima・川口静華 Shizuka Kawaguchi
Viola: 菊地幹代 Mikiyo Kikuchi・大沼幸江 Sachie Oonuma・二木美里 Misato Futaki
Cello: 西方正輝 Masateru Nishikata・稲本有彩 Arisa Inamoto
Contrabass: 赤池光治 Koji Akaike

Strings trio
Violin: 今野 均 /Hitoshi Konno
Viola: 生野正樹 /Masaki Shono
Cello: 西方正輝 /Masateru Nishikata

Trumpet: 本間千也 Kazuya Homma・河原史弥 Fumiya Kawahara
Trombone: 鹿討 奏 Kanade Shishiuchi・鳥塚心輔 Shinsuke Torizuka
Horn: 高橋臣宜 Takanori Takahashi・勝俣 泰 Yasushi Katsumata

Vocal: Joelle

Chorus: 東京混声合唱団 Tokyo Philharmonic Chorus
Soprano: 岡田眞弥・東中千佳
Alto: 志村美土里・小林音葉
Tenor: 志村一繁・平野太一朗
Bartone: 佐々木武彦・伊藤浩

More or less same as in SAO P OST
[Soprano: Maya Okada, Tomoko Wada
Alto: Otoha Kobayashi, Midori Shimura
Tenor: Kazushige Shimura, Hiromi Matsuoka
Bass: Hiroshi Ito, Takehiko Sasaki]
1 or 2 might be different

Original Soundtrack STAFF
Sound Producer: 梶浦由記

Producer: 森 康哲(HIGHWAY STAR)

Recording & Mixing Engineer: 小岩孝志(SIGN SOUND)
Recording Engineer: 近藤真奈美(SIGN SOUND)

Recording Studio:
SOUND CITY
FREEDOM STUDIO
SOUND INN STUDIO
SIGN SOUND

Score Support: 石川洋光

Musicians Co-ordination: 須藤一男(HOT WAVE)

Mastering Engineer: 袴田剛史 /Takeshi Hakamata
Mastering Studio: FLAIR MASTERING WORKS

Shout out to the real brass. And totally forgot to congratulate Joelle for her first official and great appearance in a Yuki Kajiura soundtrack. Cheers!
I wanna see dance covers of "vise-versa" and "what she was here for" lol. Maybe she can hire a dancer in a concert now that she did it with a painter? And ice-skating at Olympics would be so great ^^ #181

-I was just a child: typical Kajiura slow piano piece. I don't dislike it, but it's a kinda underwhelming way to start a soundtrack hue.
-Umi to shinju: I think I'm of the few that like the song hue. It has a pretty fresh sound (but not in an originality sense hue) and it kinda reminds me of the pre-Kalafina era.
-The red-light district: Oof delicious solo accordion. That change in tempo just gets me. I think this would be a tango?
-Happy feeling: cute and sweet.
-Noisy times: I live for Celtic Kajiura tracks.
-A small pearl: Bretty good Umi to shinju arrangement. I really like it when Kajiura piano pieces aren't slow and with a ton of rests.
-Something strange is going on: evil cello BUT WITH A BEAT. That's enough to make it more enjoyable than the other evil cello tracks hue.
-The old knights: Real brass, noice. Such a grand and glorious theme for a couple of old farts kek.
-He's behind your back: decent ambiance track... ooh ok dem new beats towards the end elevate it to good.
-You have to choose your way: Totally not Swordland! is more enjoyable than Swordland hue. Love the e.guitar and percussion halfway through the track.
-His name is Abel: baroque deliciousness. I thought it was gonna loop again halfway through but I'm glad it changed into something a bit different.
-The sea is never without a wave: I like the choir in the middle of the track, but other than that I still feel like epic choir battle themes are kinda unfitting for the series and the rest of the soundtrack.
-Dawn is breaking, ship is on the way: cozy main theme arrangement.
-Something ugly in the air: ambiance. Not much to say hue.
-The waves rippling: mysterious and mellow. Glad Kajiura has been doing "instrument+beats and effects" again.
-Calling of my heart: Moar main theme. Love the fantasy feeling the flute and harp give to the track. Just lovely~
-Fight to the finish: MUH JOELLE. FINALLY! Percussion is atypical for a Kajiurago battle theme. Me likes. Just wish it was longer and more developed. Maybe in a live.
-Every day is a gift: This is so pre-anime career Kajiura. It feels so mellow and nostalgic.
-Tender memories: it's sweet but nothing interesting.
-A lively town: oof jolly folk music. And more accordion!
-To find your truth: I love how warm and mellow it sounds, and how it seamlessly takes you from one part to the next.
-Give me truth: Even more mellow than before. And even more accordion.
-Ruins: mystical Joelle! Love how she sounds in all layers. Just wish it was longer.
-Mystical: Rather than mystical, it gives me an eccentric feeling. Anyways, cello and flute are always a good combo.
-Untrodden island: Kajiura is definitely having fun playing with some new sounds.
-His tenderness etc: lovely, warm cello x piano piece.
-His memories etc: bretty good Abel's theme arrangement.
-Vice versa: More delicious Joelle. It's very typical Kajiura but I love the melodies and arrangements. And of course, how muh gurl Joelle sounds.
-A gem mining town: Uillean pipes! Shame it's so short. Just 30 more seconds of pipes would've been good hue.
-I will guard you: I thought it was just going to be a nice harp track. The strings trio was a nice surprise.
-His other face etc: Mmm don't really feel any cruelty hue. But still, a nice track.
-His insanity etc: Nice melodic ambiance. Really do feel the insanity towards the end.
-Your future is up to you: eh it's nice.
-Now we have found it: It's nice, but too short. Doesn't really get enough time to develop.
-Battle on to the east: Like the sea is never without a wave, feels too epic for Fena.
-Take action!: now this is a fitting battle theme! Great combination of the soundtrack special band, and this will totally be performed in the future.
-What she was here: Ah Joelle sounds absolutely beautiful. I adore everything about this song. Well, maybe it could've started with just harp and then build-up to the flute solo. And Joelle should be louder! Seriously, there's a part where the flute plays over the vocals, wtf.
-You have to make up your mind: Love the combination of both themes.
-Time to sail!: Oh god, this is amazing. The way she used the choir here is so unKajiura. Please, Kajiura, learn from this!
-A place called eden: love the adventurous feel of this one. And more good use of the choir.
-The land of east: strings fest arrangement of the main theme, but I don't mind since I quite enjoy the motifs. Plus the solos playing with the motif really do help break the monotony of just strings.

I really REALLY enjoyed this soundtrack. Kajiura definitely played around with some new percussion sounds, and I hope she continues to do that. Joelle was great in her tracks, and I hope she gets more in the future. The way she used the TK in the last couple of tracks was fantastic. Less chants, more melodies plis!

Thought it was cool to save this pic from the other day here ~
https://twitter.com/Fion0806/status/1468548942950711300/photo/1And there was this Real Sound Interview too https://realsound.jp/2021/12/post-920445.html
FGFVcoQUYAAiAVi.jpg

time to sail! - I LOVE THIS KIND OF MUSIC ! ! YES YES. superb. Tokyo Konsei SUPER WELCOME HERE. (usually i bitch about its use if you haven't noticed it) the different melodies come together so so well. every second is so adventurous it carries you.
Yup this was great and she rarely uses chorus this way. I think last few times she did was in Xenosaga II, and in Knk movie 7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWoLHRd8OKYhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfy76UA4WaQ
@grunty: Looking at the Xenosaga entry i noticed there were liner notes. Did they stopped having liner notes the recent years or only standalone ost releases have them ? Or now they are replaced by twits ? Please tell if the Fena soundtrack has any when you receive it :)

Last edited:
Noisy times: this reminded me of Elemental Gerade a lot. Going back to those days.

You have to choose your own way: the swordlandish song. It just… ugh. I want to like it, too. I love the parts that are different, but the parts that are similar I just do a face plant. (This and you have to make up your mind titles are like Historia)

His name is Abel: Kind of meh

The sea is never without a wave: This song makes me so happy. It’s an epic battle song, even with the weird guitar part.

Dawn is breaking, ship is on the way: Very relaxing. Nice mix of flute and guitar.

Calling of my heart: Wonder why they left out her singing. I guess it wasn’t her direction, but I like the instrumental version too.

Fight to the finish: This song makes me happy too. I love Joelle in it. She’s kind of creepy. It reminds me of absolute configuration a bit. And then we get drunk Rie on flute again. Lol It’s kind of like a live song almost.

Every day is a gift: A nice relaxing violin song. I would want to cover it, if I were still taking lessons.

To find your truth: I like it, nice flute.

Ruins: I think it would have been cool if it had more melody, I don’t know. Maybe that’s what she was going for, I guess. Not fond of it.

Mystical: Nice harp and cello song. And flute.

His tenderness, his love: Nice piano and cello song.

Vise versa: I love it too. Joelle is so great. It reminds me of a Madoka song. And a bit of fairyland for some reason. I loved it in the show, and it does not disappoint. I can’t wait for more Joelle songs.

Gem-mining town: I guess I don’t remember this song being in the show. I like it. Reminds me of Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack a bit, the 3rd one. Singapore in particular.

I will guard you: Nice, I like the harp and strings.

Now we have found: lol the title is incomplete, or sounds incomplete. Like she was drunk coming up with it. But I still like it.

Battle on to the east: Another cool battle song. Seems like it was from SAO, but it’s so cool.

What she was here for: I like Joelle in this song too. I like it, not sure why grunty hates it.

Time to sail: Ahh the end song, well, almost. Very uplifting.

A place called Eden: For some reason it reminds me of a Christmas hymn. Very uplifting as well. (I know it was during the ending… still… I like it)

サイハテ(TV EDIT)- I like the verse, but not the chorus. She’s a little loud, kind of like LiSA is in some songs. I like Junna, and I wanted to like it. Maybe the full version I will like.

8/10 for me. I loved the show in the beginning, like most people. I stayed mainly for the music and the animation, really. She really gave some promising tracks, I loved Joelle and all the Tokyo Konsei (which can be a little meh for me sometimes) tracks, so that was awesome. She did better on this than the Progressive movie, that is for sure.

Yup this was great and she rarely uses chorus this way. I think last few times she did was in Xenosaga II, and in Knk movie 7
Not sure which part of the chorus you're talking about, but doesn't it include "her wings" & "rebirth" from Madoka?
Talking about KnK I've always found similarity between M41+M42 and Angel Terrestre by Immediate Music (2005) lol.

Gem-mining town: Reminds me of Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack a bit, the 3rd one. Singapore in particular.
a gem-mining town: Are those sfxes supposed to be hammers and steam machines ?
907dd938-d211-4d18-b3e0-856adbc361a0_text_hi.gif

A place called Eden: For some reason it reminds me of a Christmas hymn.
Same here, but why??? Maybe because it sounds a little bit like a russian choir esp at 0:45? Still having my Materialize reference in mind. Dunno why I'd associate russian choir with Xmas tho ^^'

Just listened to the OST this afternoon! Anyways, it’s time for a review. Also I did watch the whole show but it was a while back. (Bolded Tracks are the ones that I added to my Kajiura Playlist).

I Was Just A Child: Unpopular Opinion: I really like this one. It’s such a haunting, piano track, and just really sticks out to me.

Red-Light District At Night: Ooh, accordion! Once again, this one is really good. It fits the title very well, and definitely fits a kind of ‘sketchy’ atmosphere.

Happy Feeling: Just a sweet little melody. I don’t tend to gravitate towards these kinds of tracks, but this one is just fun.

Noisy Times: I LOVE! It’s so much fun! I adore the folky atmosphere! Definitely a favorite.

Small Pearl: Umi To Shinjuu: Piano Style! I’m also fond of this one. It sounds pretty.

Something Strange Is Going On: Typical creepy cello track. Next.

Old Knights: This one sounds very cinematic and I like it. It’s definitely got a bit of a medieval quality. Also, I love how the song is so regal but it’s for two of the dorkiest characters in the show, lol.

He’s Behind Your Back: That certainly is a creepy title. Anyways, the song was more of a transition track, so it didn’t stick out to me very much. Also the last part of the song reminds me of the opening to ‘Obsession’.

You Have To Choose Your Way: Oh look, it’s Neo-Swordland. I like the arrangement though. It’s very entertaining. AND THAT DRUM/GUITAR SEGMENT.

His Name Is Abel: Oh look, it’s Abel’s theme. Or, as I like to call him: Blonde Snape. Anyways I don’t care for the melody very much. Also I think I was slightly distracted because he was my least favorite part of the show.

Sea Is Never Without A Wave: Ooh, Tokyo Konsei! Anyways, it’s epic. Nothing more needs to be said.

Dawn Is Breaking, (The) Ship Is On The Way: Flute! And Acoustic Guitar! And Umi to Shinjuu! Anyways, another favorite. YK makes the best calm, domestic tracks.

Something Ugly In The Air: Boring. Next.

Waves Rippling: More cello, but not as generic this time! I really like the cello, so hearing other uses of it is great.

Calling Of My Heart: Did we really need another UtS: flute/string style? I get it’s the chorus this time, but still.

Fight To The Finish: Oh look, it’s Joelle. I was torn on this one at first, because the vocal segment seems rushed, but then the flute showed up and I kinda just had to start liking it.

Every Day Is A Gift: A sweet, emotional track.

Tender Memories: Nice harp. That’s about it, really.

Lively Town: Another fun, folk track! Just like Noisy Times, I’m quite fond of this one.

To Find Your Truth: I really like the instrumental progression. I think it really spiced things up, and also made me really appreciate the melody.

Give Me Truth: Why did they put this one right after the last version? Also the melody with only accordion (and slower) did not appeal to me.

Ruins: This was one of the ones that stuck out to me when I watched the show. It’s such an eerie, foreboding track, and Joelle’s vocals are fantastic. I wish a bit more happened, but I still really enjoyed it, and it was a definite favorite!

Mystical: Creepy Harp and Flute! It sounds quite pretty.

Untrodden Island: Dull. It’s got some alright arrangement, but it’s more purely atmospheric than anything else. Next.

His ‘Tenderness’/Love: Really? Blonde Snape needed another track?

His Memories/Pain: ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

VICE VERSA: BEST SONG ON THE OST, HANDS DOWN! This was the song I was most excited for, and it did not disappoint! God I love Yuki Kajiura’s music. That flute! And melody! JOELLE’S VOCALS OH MY GOD! Cantario Atolta, indeed!

Gem Mining Town: Another atmospheric track, but actually interesting! And those bagpipes and percussion are killer.

I Will Guard You: I like it.

Other Face/Cruelty: NO. DID I MENTION NO.

Insanity/Real Wish: Okay, I actually liked this one. It was creepy, just like how Abel was. But still, did he really need FIVE DIFFERENT THEME ARRANGEMENTS?!

Future Is Up To You: So calming.

Now We Have Found: Short & forgettable.

Battle On, To The East: A solid Konsei track. Much better than the last one. Also, once again: very epic.

Take Action: Flute! Flute! Flute! This song is so awesome, and I like that, similar to Pri-Pri’s ‘Operations In Action’, the motif doesn’t take over the entire song, but it’s there and sounds great. Also, accordion!

What She Was Here For: Helena’s theme! I love the flute and Joelle’s voice was especially pretty. I wish that she was a bit more audible later in the song, but I do like the muted effect anyways. It’s very much like its reminding us that, despite how lively the rest of the song is, Helena is just an echo.

You Have To Make Up Your Mind: And I did. I came to the conclusion that this was boring.

Time To Sail: Another epic Kinsey track. I also really like the arrangement here.

Place Called Eden: Very atmospheric. I will admit that the Konsei tracks are starting to run together a bit, but despite that, I enjoyed this one’s melody.

Land Of East: I was hoping for a bit more of a medley. Instead, I got UtS playing OVER. AND OVER. AND OVER AGAIN. IT WAS MADDENING MY GOD WHY WAS THIS SEVEN MINUTES LONG?!

Overall, this was a pretty good soundtrack! It was certainly far from perfect, but there were some really creative reminders to the ‘Bee-Train’ days, and I generally enjoyed the diverse arrangements! Also, Joelle, please keep this up. You sound utterly phenomenal here, so I’m hoping to hear a bit more of that in future FJ lives.

Well, until next time!

@george1234 there's no liner notes for tracks

@LianaIlia36 the album version just lacks breathing space AND the sound of the flute @ 1:21 is absolutely grating to me. I'm actually OK with the flute being in the last 40sec of the track (and we could replace this part with episode audio without the flute, ironically) - it's just that middle section that throws it off completely for me. I still am disappointed.

@Decretum lolz @ picking that Abel track when you dislike the rest XD

Edit:
Oh yea, friendly reminder that the final episode airs this weekend in Japan. Hoping for Taiyou no Kouro news.

Last edited:
Ι found the songs Kajiura methions about inspiring her for the music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XOYDeD_RqI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2aRFEeXlTo
Kajiura: I was thinking of strings this time.

Like every time ^^;

Kajiura: Yes, but you don't use the strings in a so-called orchestral way, do you?

Kajiura: That's right. I don't intend to make an orchestral piece at all. People often say I use strings so it sounds like an orchestra, but that's not the case at all. My songs are basically rhythm-oriented, so I imagine that the rhythm comes first, and then the strings sound on top of it. So when I try to make an orchestral arrangement of one of my songs, I end up in a lot of trouble (laughs).

Interesting when listening to that SAO concert. (even though that mostly had recording issues)

Last edited:
Ι found the songs Kajiura methions about inspiring her for the music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XOYDeD_RqI
Oh my. I could not stop listening to this song for pretty much a month straight back in November. And now apparently it inspired Kajiura? That’s incredible and now I’m laughing.

(It does make sense, though. This and Fena’s OST share a similar atmosphere, so I see the influence. And also Ihojin’s a jam, so it’s not like I minded. XD.)

istanbul haha. she even mentions calling it turkish song lol. she should discover έντεχνο and turkish folk.
"
Kajiura: Yes, but you don't use the strings in a so-called orchestral way, do you?

Kajiura: That's right. I don't intend to make an orchestral piece at all. People often say I use strings so it sounds like an orchestra, but that's not the case at all. My songs are basically rhythm-oriented, so I imagine that the rhythm comes first, and then the strings sound on top of it. So when I try to make an orchestral arrangement of one of my songs, I end up in a lot of trouble (laughs)."

this is so true. i'm glad she's admitted it again (she has before). that's why she needs someone with orchestra experience :)

anddd got the OST I did. cdjapan has crazy shipping rates wth. I will support Kajiura fully for making OSTs like this.

whenever I play the songs that I liked, I can't skip. I want to hear it till the end. even the not so grand tracks like calling of my heart. it's really quite something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back