"Consolation" album lyrics

sorry george...for some reason, i remember reading yobi instead or yobu in this line, but i was wrong. also, i just learned the "made mo nai" grammar today in class . yay! :ohoho: lol here's a correction to a line in consolation:

quo vadis domine?
there is no need
for your voice to call out a prayer
i believe that someday,
only your wish will reach me

sorry! :bow:

there is no need

But in this case, it would be grammatically correct as 'sono koe wo inori to yobu made mo nai'. So I think 'it isn't even needed to call your voice as 'a prayer'' is closer (my English sucks, somebody help me! :uh..: )

hm I thought canto lamento is Latin but now I think they might be Italian since obbligato isn't Latin

george1234 said:
so the translation in english should be in present simple singular first person > I sing. I lament. (well yuki seems to have forgotten the "io" but eh XD)
It seems "io" just means "I". I'm sure the io isn't always necessary; e.g. in latin the pronoun in left out almost always and you use the verb ending to figure out who/how many is speaking. The -o ending indicates "I" (in both Italian and Latin)
I really want to learn Italian now, after seeing how similar the grammar is :ohoho:

Re:

keikochan4 said:
there is no need

But in this case, it would be grammatically correct as 'sono koe wo inori to yobu made mo nai'. So I think 'it isn't even needed to call your voice as 'a prayer'' is closer (my English sucks, somebody help me! :uh..: )

nimsaj is actually correct. here, "to" acts as a "wo" in a way. so if it didnt have made mo nai, it would just say "your voice calls out a prayer" also, here's an example from a dictionary.

彼は私を教授と呼んでいる
he calls me "professor"

koe would need a wo afterwards, which it clearly does not have here.

since koe has a "wa", it would need "yobareru" for it to mean what you think.

^ yeah, i've never heard "yobu" as being used to say "he/she/it is called ____" :confu: i also thought it was "yobareru"...and if it was, wouldn't koe need wo afterwards and for it to be "yondeiru" ? that's how i learned it anyways..from my textbook.

i think yobu is like shinjiru...as long as you phrase it right, wo and to are interchangeable.

@ aki: same thing happens in greek, since you can tell from the termination of the verb who is talking you dont need to used (I, you he, she etc) all the time but only when you need to emphasize

eg

Eγώ διαβάζω = I'm reading

- Τι κάνεις; = What are you doing ?
- Διαβάζω. = I am reading.

But in french even though the same thing could happen due to the different termination of the verbs for each person, for some reason they use the personal pronouns all the time :uh..: .

Okay, now I'm sure I won't search for mistakes in translations at night, because when I read my 'correction(?)' in the morning, I realized that I was a big fool. :spotlight: Sorry, guys! Yes, the 'there is no need
for your voice to call out a prayer' is correct.

^ here are keikochan4's romaji from the first post ^.^

door

chiisa na ashioto wo
yume no naka de kiita
dareka ga watashi no
doa no mae ni yattekuru
shounen no manazashi no natsukashii kage ga
ano koro mitai ni tobira tataiteru

tooi ame no machi wo
ima mo wasurenai
anata no basu wo matta
toomawari no kaerimichi
kanashii sayonara sae
ima wa yume no naka
tsumaranai joudan da to waraeru kashira

doyoubi no asa dakara
tazunetekita'n desho?
asamoya no doa wo akete
haitteoide yo, hayaku...

chiisa na ashioto ga
yume no naka ni kieta
shiroku makura no ue ni
furui uta wo nokoshite

and @keikochan4: no worries ^.^ it was good practice to see if yobu can act like yobareru in some cases. good eye, though :ayashii:

Canto lamento could also be spanish lol romance languages... :ohoho:

^ well she has never used spanish so far (apart from "cazador del amor") but she does have a history with italian (canta per me + various song titles) so lets assume its italian :XD:

Re:

garnetjester said:
Canto lamento could also be spanish lol romance languages... :ohoho:

yeah, i thought it was spanish at first too (since i speak spanish) :XD: :ohoho:

By the way, does anyone know what is the meaning of "Quo Vadis Domine" from the consolation lyrics?

Oh, I just translate it from google translate.

"Quo Vadis Domine" comes from Latin word. it means "Where are you going, Sir?"

what do you think?

^I think "Domine" is from "Dominus" which means "God" in Latin.In this case, Quo Vadis Domine translates to "Where are you going, Lord?"

"Lord" as in God.

^ yep, domine is the vocative form of dominus
strange to think of, but dominus didn't always mean god; it was after Rome adopted Christianity I guess. Before dominus meant lord or master.

^ Yes, normal world for god is "Deus" (see "dominus deus" from salva nos XD)

The reason why in this context, "Dominus" is uses as "god" is because like Yuki said its from the 'New Bible" where Christ's students didnt called him "god" because he was the son of the (christianic) God and not the God himself. So, since he was their mentor they called him "Master" (Kyrie) instead. Later Kyrie also came to imply the God because was used during the christianic chants too (which were written in the -then global languge- Greek)

Here's a famous chant http://www.matia.gr/7/72/7201/7201_1_2.html

take attention to these 2 stanzas

Πιστεύω εις ένα Θεόν, Πατέρα, Παντοκράτορα, ποιητήν ουρανού και γής, ορατών τε πάντων και αοράτων.

Και εις ένα Κύριον Ιησούν Χριστόν, τον Υιό του Θεού τον Μονογενή, τον εκ του Πατρός γεννηθέντα προ πάντων των αιώνων·

translation:

I Believe in one God, Father, and All-governor, maker of sky and earth, of all visible and invisible.

And in one Lord (Kyrie) Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Self-born, the one that was born from the Father, before all centuries

Question: does 木苺の茂みに translate to Raspberry bushes ? because I can never be sure of google translate :XD:

Back