BD/DVD: Kalafina “9+ONE” at Tokyo International Forum Hall A [Release: Nov 1st]

wow did they make new Magia PV just for this live ?

Yahhh! It was this trippy MV/acid trip video that was projected onto a screen in front of the stage which transitioned in and out of actual live footage of the girls and the FBM on stage. The projection varied in opacity here and there so sometimes you're just watching an MV and sometimes you're looking at the girls interacting with the acid trip.

-edit- they made hilarious kaladansu MV for the Marchen instrumental bridge too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Listened to all the mp3 files and then watched parts of the video, but I will have the time to watch it in full only during the weekend.
I may change my mind after watching the whole concert, but so far - and I never thought I would ever say this - my favourite song is Believe (piano version), and by a mile.

Finally got a chance to watch the video of this concert. Am I the only one who feels the videography was poor? I mean.... it was just HORRIBLE. The shots were off center most of the time, they focused the wrong girl at the right parts..... I think this may even be worse than After Eden Special Final!!

Finally got a chance to watch the video of this concert. Am I the only one who feels the videography was poor? I mean.... it was just HORRIBLE. The shots were off center most of the time, they focused the wrong girl at the right parts..... I think this may even be worse than After Eden Special Final!!

Don't you mean Consolation Special Final since After Eden DVD was from the first After Eden concert? And wow if that's the case I doubt I'd want to watch the DVD because Consolation Special Final has the worst videography and editing ever. So many random pan shot because the cameramen shot from the wrong angle, tons of random zoom ins and zoom outs, totally uneven solo shots between the girls, random shots of the musicians from weird angle as well...

After Eden wasn't bad at all. I had more of an issue with Hikaru's hairstyle than the editing for that BD xD.

I noticed the bad editing as well. It's probably as bad as the Consolation Special Final DVD (no, actually, the 5th Anni one was even worse). It's only really bad in the beginning up till to the beginning. From believe to the end of the concert, the editing was fine, but nowhere near as polished as the RM, FotW and BEST lives.

If you notice, most of the camera cuts were in time with the music most of the time, but that was exactly made it weird. It made us "expect" a cut, so it stood out even more. Good editing is when we can't even notice that there's a cut - the other lives were good at that.

Hopefully, if their 10th anniversary live has a BD (which most likely it will), the camerawork won't be as bad as this one.

Watched the whole live now, but only quickly. The editing was quite odd, not always, but most of the time it was noticeable.
I wasn't actually expecting too much from this concert at first; from the mp3 files I only liked two or three performances out of 22, therefore I wasn't very optimistic, in spite of the reviews by other people here on the forum. But overall, I have to admit I was too prejudiced, and I really enjoyed it.

Will write more coherent thoughts after I get some sleep, but as general impression, it seemed a rather 'relaxed' and informal kind of live. The order of the songs wasn't really to my liking, and surprisingly, it seemed to me that all three girls expressed the most energy during the encore. One of the things I truly loved was to see them so happy, so genuinely enjoying themselves and sharing many glances and smiles during the performances. There were much less 'wow' moments compared to other concerts though.
The FBM were great, even though a bit loud sometimes. As for the singers, Keiko's dynamics fluctuated a lot; in some points I couldn't hear her at all, in other moments she was shouting (not singing, really shouting and straining her voice), but when she could be heard well, she did a great job. Wakana was mostly on point, in some parts sounding absolutely majestic but in others having a sudden drop in energy and sounding shaky. Hikaru was the one who puzzled me the most, because she sounded different in every song; in some she was nasal, strained and it seemed as if she had a severe cold; in others, she was flawless, sounding sharp and very controlled.
Also, not the biggest fan of any of their outfits; perhaps the third ones were the nicest though. Loved Wakana's hairstyle, Keiko's not so much. And last thought: did Keiko have different nail polish on her hands? Black on her left, and red on her right?

I'm actually quote fond of the editing lol.
I like it more than Red/Blue day and Arena Live.

Main reason being the camera cuts to whoever is doing their solo, AND whoever is coming into the verse half way etc.

My favorite thing about Kalafina songs has always been the fact that not everyone sings at the same time all the time and sometimes the entry points are really quite random. The editing kind of shows that off this time and you really get to see who's entering the song when. I thought it was really nice haha.

Though I agree it could've all been smoother.

Finally I have been able to watch the Live and I can express my opinions now ùù I really enjoyed this Live DVD, I found the girls very expressive, very into the atmosphere, expecially Wakana that impressed me, she was really majestic!! Like Keiko and Hikaru had little moments of imperfection, but for the three of them I think it was due to the mixing and the volume of mics!! It was really unbalanched for the major part of the songs, infact Keiko tended to shout in various points! Also Hikaru was so low in some verses! About the outfits I'm in love both with the tulle dresses both with the black set, but the second is really a mess!! All these fabrics were redundant and Hikaru outfit with pants (with the skirt over) it's really a fail from my point of way! Regarding the stage I really loved it, the idea to project the titles of their songs and the covers of singles/album was amazing and the Magia PV wow!! The shots were well done; I also loved the decoration of the stage in the last part of the live! It was a perfect combo with the light of the rings!!
Of course the shipping moments, expecially during TTB and Ongaku, were the perfect complement!!

Sooo about the setlist:

Samidare --> It's one of my favourite Kala ballad and the idea to open the concert with the final "la la la" of this song, was amazing and very emotional!! I hope that they will perform it again!! The girls were really into the atmosphere! I found them so happy!!

Misterioso--> It's not their best performance of this song, my fav live of Misterioso remains the "The Best Red Day" version (that lovely dresses çWç) and in this live both Keiko's both Hikaru's mics were so low compared to Wakana's!

Lacrimosa --> I won't ever be tired of this song!! It's the mark of their style, it's the song that I always suggest to my friends that want to listen them, for the first time, because it's full of the gothic, tragic soul that I love with all my heart!! And in this live was wow for me!

Ashita no Keshiki --> I was waiting for this live performance, since I missed it from the Red Moon era and I was so happy to listen it again yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay They were all fantastic!! Awwww Wacchan you was so sweet!

Hikari no Senritsu --> Another classic of their repertoire, but please Kore-chan forgive me your parts instead of Rie-san's flute changed totally the atmosphere of the song!! I don't understand why they didn't left the recorded sound! Apart this the girls looked again so so happy to sing it and they were just adorable greating the audience!

Mirai --> Again the mic's problem, because Keiko was so low in her solo part of the kajiurago and it was a shame, because it's lovely! But so pretty in general!

Oblivious --> Yessssssssssss fantastic!! Hicchan's falsetto was the loveee!! She was incredible; I'm so happy to see how she went comfortable with it!! Keechan and Wacchan were amazing too in their parts, expecially in the part
"yoru wo asa wo hiru wo hoshi wo yume wo
natsu wo fuyu wo toki wo kaze wo
mizu wo tsuchi wo sora wo
"

Storia --> Not their best performance of this song, I remain faithful to the "Red Moon Live" version ùù

Gogatsu no Mahou --> I'm totally in love with it!! Wow they were incredible!! And finally the mics were well balanced!! It's my favourite song of "Far on the water" album and I was satisfied by this performance!!

Consolation --> Finally after a long time it came again wiiiiii!! Hikaru was so powerful and contributed to the great performance! I loved it!

To the beginning --> The final WaaHii moment was to adorable for this world!! They were so so cuteeee; anyway another good song, but not comparable to the "Type Moon Live"!

Haru wo Matsu --> OMG the sweetenest!! I love so much when Keiko sing this type of ballads, I'm happy to see how she can sing in a way that is not typical of her vocal register! She was so expressive!!

Believe piano version --> I'm in love with this!! Believe sounds completely different, from the regular version!! They were able again to put all their emotions on it, fantastic!

Marchen --> I was anxiously waiting for this live performance and I really liked it!! Apart the weird dance, they were totally into it!! Finally the mic sounded regular like they should be from the beginning XD

Magia --> The new PV was perfect!! It contributed to the creation of a new atmosphere!! I was so happy to see again the usual ballet before the last stanza of the song!

Kyrie --> Wow again a very very good live version and the mic stands was a surprise!! The last "Kyrie eleison" was amazing!!

Heavenly Blue --> I like this song, it's not one of their masterpiece, but I enjoy listening it and the kajiurago part is so beautiful in my opinion! In this live they sung it very well!!

One Light --> Yesssss girls you rocked!! It felt all their energies and I loved how Wacchan looked involved in the performance! It was a surprise!

Into the world --> Totally the perfection!! I loved it at the first heard and again in this live!

Ongaku --> The overture should be the rule for all lives, because is great!! Anyway Ongaku is the song that HAS to be in a Kalafina Live; infact in Paris I was sad to not seeing it, but I'm sure that I'll listen next year in Japan!! It's clear that both the girls both the audience love it, I love it too!! The only thing for what I was sorry is this: the absence of Wacchan's vibrato in her "basho ee" like in other lives, but they looked a little bit tired, after all it was the end of the live!

Again lovely shipping moments *WWW*

Blaze --> Fantastic like One Light!! Hikaru was impressive here!! It's her song, she was so fierce!!

Yume no Daichi --> Last, but not the last, comes another of my favourite ballads!! They performed it very well!! They looked again so happy!! I love how they're able to involve the audience, with a smile or a waving!! I love them so muuch çWWç I can't wait for seeing them again next year!!

I didn't expect that before leaving the stage, Hicchan talked in this such lovely way and Keechan that went away before them, since she was about to cry, was just to adorableee! Wacchan eyes looked also wet! :cry:

My copy arrived finally but I had to pay £16 import. I could have bought another CD with that. Stupid Royal Mail. :voodoo:

I finished watching it and I loved it despite Hikaru getting carried away sometimes. Wakana was a real surprise, she really gave us a great performance. Keiko was good as usual. Considering there are no retakes in a live and the music being complex I would say they all did very good overall. I loved the dresses, very classy.

Sound quality was clear and dynamic plus a good ambience of the room. I listened to blu ray connected to my Stereo amp and Dali Opticon speakers. Dynamics were definitely better then studio versions and you can really get the detail from the instruments.

I have noticed that last few years, when Kalafina are releasing singles and albums in a more slow rate, they have basically turned from using lives to promoted the new songs, to releasing new songs in order to feed the lives with new songs, which imo is quite worrisome considering that they are having issues with their performance.

The poor video editing seems to be par for the course. I have yet to watch a Kalafina / Fiction Junction show and music video where the editing was not the best, and down right annoying at times. It's the same for Sound Horizon, Scandal, Miwa and just about every other live video I've watched. I think it's a Japanese style. It makes it messy and jarring. They need some "Hollywood" people work on those edits to make them seemless, clean and focus on the proper subject.

(When I mean Hollywood, I mean people who know how to do this and can make the best presentation possible.)

They need some "Hollywood" people work on those edits to make them seemless, clean and focus on the proper subject.

(When I mean Hollywood, I mean people who know how to do this and can make the best presentation possible.)

I am all for the Hollywood idea as long as I can watch Kalafina dansu in bullet time and Harvey Weinstein is kept well away from the group.

Oh and some added Michael Bay explosions in the background during the music videos and lives.

Red Moon and FotW BD's editing are really good. Red Moon's especially.

It's mainly just this one and the Consolation BDs I have an issue with. The rest are fine.

Looking forward to watching this. Even more so from the shocking responses I've read regarding songs such as Kyrie and especially Believe, which I really anticipate because 1.) I love an acoustic rework and 2.) unlike almost all fans, I've never had a problem with Believe's original arrangement in the first place. The other ones I'm excited for are Marchen for its apparent dance, Magia for its apparent video, and Consolation because I've only just started to get into the song after all these years.

@zpattack12 Wake up man, I PMed you!:punched:

Well I'm still trying to acquire the video. Been waiting for hours . . . :imdead:

Welp I’m done! Immediately starting from

Lacrimosa: Never has my mouth been and stayed open during a Lacrimosa live. Much cleaner, Hikaru taking low pitch in her usual middle solo, no one sounds to be trying as hard, immediate favorite performance of the song.

Ashita no Keshiki: Never have I even watched a live of this song, it’s so low on my focus that I forget it’s a thing. But that was indescribably fabulous.

Hikari no Senritsu: I rarely listen to this song either as it’s just a bit too long for me and I caught some of Hikaru’s awkwardness, although she damn well fixed it after the bridge. Also in the last two choruses I’d have sworn she was Wakana. Falsetto on the utmost point.

Mirai: Part two of the interesting camera angle choices. Was never a fan of the song but this was certainly tolerable and I have no true complaint.

Oblivious: This was the time in which I finally noticed Keiko’s mic volume in a way that might be negative. In a situation similar to Atlas Star, I also caught parts I never knew Hikaru would be singing in this song had I not been watching live footage. Oblivious was my second Kalafina song after Lacrimosa and unfortunately I overlistened my way out of appreciating it properly for a period of years now, so this was a very pleasing refresher.

Storia: It’s rare that I appreciate this song as I hold Historia miles above it (this is the same with almost any song that has a Kajiurago counterpart) so I was pleasantly surprised especially in the last 60% of the song and I don’t know why.

Gogatsu no Mahou: This song holds a similar position in my focus to Ashita no Keshiki, and this live made me shocked about thinking such a way. Unrelated but this performance also made me, as a dancer and choreographer since childhood, once again reflect on and re-appreciate Hikaru’s capacity for actions while not singing. Wakana’s last note sounded a bit . . . janky.

Consolation: Yeeeeessssss. I’ve never watched a live of this either, as I never liked the song until the middle of October 2017. This was astonishing, Hikaru especially to me.

To the Beginning: Woo, that ending! The whole thing in general! There was a small point in the middle that sounded a little forced (in comparison to everything else) but it’s not like it was a problem.

Haru wo Matsu: Unlike multiple other pieces, this live could not get me to truly appreciate this song. Still pretty, of course.

Believe: As I listen to this, it is literally freezing in my dorm room as I sit by the heater with the thermostat on 80 degrees Fahrenheit under two blankets. I personally have a new appreciation for Hikaru holding the middle of the chorus together, when in the studio all I ever paid attention to was admittedly Keiko.

Märchen: I love the slight vocal stylization Keiko has adjusted herself to when singing this song now. I do miss her self-harmonization though, and wish there was room for Hikaru to do it or something. Choreography was a plus, background was a plus.

Magia: Oh my God, yes. That is all.

Kyrie: I know it’s a weird choice but this is one of my top 10 Kalafina songs. Personal taste, especially if a song is in a descending legato and involves religious reference.

Heavenly Blue and One Light: I am often uninterested approximately halfway through both of these songs for no reason, with the situation being similar to Consolation, especially with One Light. Heavenly Blue I have to admit I still cannot truly appreciate.

Into the World: The verses of this song especially never cease to at least mentally if not also physically drop my jaw. Hikaru with that silky middle harmony.

Ongaku: I will admit I never could appreciate this song properly either. I don’t remember which specific live I first saw of this song but I know it was a long while ago, I saw it before hearing the studio version, and it wasn’t the best.

Blaze: Similar to Believe, I (surprisingly) had an appreciation for this song from the beginning EXCLUDING the Kajiurago bridge, but this live even put that awkwardly placed bridge in a pretty wonderful light as the ladies flowed into it and carried it out so seamlessly that this time it truly did sound as if it belonged in its spot.

Yume no Daichi: Very nice, unfortunately I’ve overlistened to this song and can’t give much more of an opinion.

Back