Kalafina 21st single "Hyakka Ryouran" (Katsugeki Touken Ranbu ED)

Actually I think I watched it all too. Its the kind of cancer you can't stop munching on.

I see people are debating about HB and Believe. These songs are 'overprocessed' imo but the core songs are good. Also they are quintissential Yuki and thus it can be old hat for vets like us. You see many of her tried and tested ideas crystallized in these songs but it can be hard to notice due to the thicc arrangements. You see that alot with a group that has a signature sound like K.

Kala songs often sound wonderful in piano arrangements and acoustic, also I think a nice warm all strings version of these songs would be something special, kind of with the feel of the Xenosaga III OST strings textures. I might even be able to make one due to 'mah music theory PhD skillz' I used to work alot with scores.

Last edited by a moderator:
It will prob be done with synthetic instruments, its easier for me to work with. I've got the best of the best its as good as real. :plot:

I'm late to the party (as usual)
Usuimurasaki/serenato/tsuioku, for me they feel more like african ethnic music than japanese because of the percussion. On the other hand, Tetotetometome and Yami no Uta feels more like Arabian. For me the traditional japanese sound is more relaxed and calm, more "zen". I cannot think of a Kala song that sounds like that, the best example that comes to mind is Fire Emblem Birthright's OST (all games in the franchise have amazing music, tho).
Anyway, those kind of pieces inspired by traditional music from around the world is one of the best things of Kalafina. I wish Kajiura kept exploring those amazing sounds.
On the other hand, this may sound strange but I really have high hopes for KANTANKATAN? The title sounds like music, it has some rythm on it. For some reason, whenever I think about it, the Tsuioku melody comes to my mind.

So, for now, the badass covers, the report made on the other topic about the A side and the titles of the B-sides gave me back my hype :stars:please Kajiura don't break my heart

Usumurasaki specifically is extremely Egypt-favoring. I wouldn't put Tsuioku into any specific cultural sound as to me it just sounds like trademark eerie Kajiuran, and I am all for it. However, unless I'm watching the live ver., the guitar and strings actually catch my ears more than the percussion (until the double chorus at the end).

KanTanKatan's title does sound like it would lean toward strong rhythmics, which I support, though I am still just as genuinely interested in the remainder of HR.

And yes, these album covers are still exciting me too.

Yami no Uta has always created a European ballroom aesthetic in my mind, (albeit played up to sound ten times more fun), but like you said @Zinnia , the culturally thematic variety is one of the major aspects that make Kalafina a truly splendid group.

But other than those chords in Hoshi no Uta, they've never really delved into Japanese sounds before, so naturally I'm still hyped AF about this release, even if we've already heard the refrain of the A-side. KantaKantan sounds rhythmatic, but it's Tombo (Dragonfly) that's getting my attention now.

Another name for Japan is Akitsushima (Island of the Dragonfly) and the legend surrounding this name is as old as Japanese culture itself. In the story, the first Emperor of Japan, Jimnu stands atop Mount Fujiyama and looks down upon the islands, which appear as dragonflies in his mind, and henceforth that is how they were known. Dragonflies have a third and final romanticised synonym in Japanese too, Kachimushi (Victory Insect) due to it's speed, agility and inability to retreat from an enemy, which lead to it being used as a design for the helmets of samurai lords.

Dragonflies are a core aspect of Japanese mythology, which is why Tombo probably has the most potential to capture the Japanese style that Wakana promised us, and 'speed, agility, inability to retreat' suggests something fast paced and energetic if they are truly referencing the legends. Combine these aspects, and this could be one hell of a Kalasong.

Lmao i was so late i didn't even realize they've announced all the songs' title in the single

The b side titles are very interesting

Was looking around shops for stuff to buy and saw the single is 24 minutes long.

Edit: The 5-track single.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if we are allowed to ask here.. But is there a site streaming/simulcasting episode 1?

Imo it's annoying when they do that (whether I want to hear the ED or not) because it takes away even more fame/attention from whoever is doing the ED (cause people are more likely to skip the ED then OP).

Back