Yuki Kajiura LIVE in HOLLYWOOD featuring "SAO" Jan 14, 2017 [CANCELLED]

There is a a part where there's some contradiction. Its the 2nd quote i posted above

Do you have set concepts or approaches you use when you start creating a song, or is every job a little different?

I always make it a priority to create music that I myself can feel moved by. There is no way for me to fully comprehend how other people are affected by my music, and of course I don't want to pretend like I do. I also don't wish to compose music under any assumptions or contrived notions of “if I make music like this, it will reach people's hearts.” I believe that if I make music that can speak to my heart, then it must also reach the heart of others. I create my music with that in mind.

compared to this other part :

Rather than thinking about it as differences between pop music and BGM, I think there's a difference between composing music for a film and something I compose for myself freely. Lately, I've been composing BGM a lot more but when I do create something freely from scratch, I am able to feel very refreshed, since I get to reconfirm what kinds of sounds I currently like and want to hear.

So, about the recent a-side Kalafina songs, she's either including them inside the "BGM" term, where she doesnt compose freely, or she doesnt include them, but somehow the result is equally disappointing.

and the BGMs arent in the "always create music I myself can feel moved by" field ?
Is she getting moved by the tracks that she doesnt compose freely too ? If so why she feels refreshed when she composes without any guideline ?

I think she herself says that she doesnt like that much the sounds she doesnt compose freely, just right after.

(However there's always the possibility of mistranslation in the interview, since im sure she wasnt interviewed in english)

Last edited:
@sora I didn't mean that she lied in the interview, I was speaking to the general vibe of interviews. and I do think she's exaggerating at least, the way she feels about music that she creates. I can't help but feel a hint of arrogance and insincerity in Kajiura's responses and that the "soul" she puts into her work is rather disappointing lately, sorry. Other than that, it's a standard interview.

btw the new samples from ordinal scale don't sound original at all, samesame notes. grr.

Ι agree, however i quite like the song on the trailer that's on the main cpm page, even though it directly strikes as "Shizuka na yoru ni #2" it has a different vibe, more sad and and dark.

Ah, I see what you mean @wat11.

I always felt like the quality of Kajiura's music has a lot to do with how much she enjoys/is inspired by the project she's working on; so when she says stuff like "I make music that will move me" I can believe it. Of course when she says that in an interview about her work for SAO, it sounds very haughty.

Reactions: aki
She does seem to do better work when she's working on something she enjoys. It'd explain why her own works with Kalafina/FJ are often better than the tie-ins, plus also explain why the SAO OST is so bland compared to something she's stated heavily that she's enjoyed, like Madoka.

So, about the recent a-side Kalafina songs, she's either including them inside the "BGM" term, where she doesnt compose freely, or she doesnt include them, but somehow the result is equally disappointing.

She said right there it's not about BGM and pop songs, but music for shows and music she wrote freely. Obviously Kalafina a-sides go in the former, as she didn't write them just because, but for a show.

and the BGMs arent in the "always create music I myself can feel moved by" field ?
Is she getting moved by the tracks that she doesnt compose freely too ?

They asked her about pop music, not BGM so it's hard to say.

If so why she feels refreshed when she composes without any guideline ?

Because "I get to reconfirm what kinds of sounds I currently like and want to hear."

They asked her about pop music, not BGM so it's hard to say.

Νο, the question was "Do you have set concepts or approaches you use when you start creating a song, or is every job a little different?" and the songs refer to both pop songs and bgm.

The previous and following questions are both about pop music, so it's safe to say they're still talking about pop songs.
And technically, BGM are not songs, but pieces/tracks/instrumentals/tunes huehuehe.

Okay, so we should try and figure out a meet up place. Who wants to meet up? We should post our pic here, I did a few pages ago. Who is going for sure? There is Anime Jungle, but I don't want to go there until after the concert, so Sun. I think dinner would be best because a lot of us are getting in in the morning/afternoon. There are a ton of places to eat. That udon place seems interesting. What do you guys think?
@arqnohikari do you want to be in the meet up too?

@Liana_Ilia Of course. :XD:
I want to recommend that we do an early meeting (at 2pm or so/or whenever everyone shows up)at a park or something.
That way we're all together and not scrambling since we'll be heading to the same places.:comeback:
I'll be flying in to LAX around 10am but then I'm checking in to my hotel room THEN I have to figure how which lines I have to take... I'm so gonna be lost....or If anyone is driving in the city and wouldn't mind taking a refugee passenger, that would be helpful and I wouldn't mind giving gas money in exchange. :spotlight:
TWO WEEKS PEOPLE :stars:

^Where are you staying again? Yes, that sounds better since I looked it up and Little Tokyo is about a 20 min drive, so that wouldn't work. And I think 2:30? We might not get in until about 1 and then we check in, to the Celebrity Hotel (@Smiley is staying there too!) and probably eat even though we'll get breakfast half way. (I do not do well with long car rides. Hopefully traffic won't be so bad at 7 in the morning.) I will do some research tomorrow about the parks around the hotel. And a week and a half until I leave for Vegas, which will be on the 11th. We are staying there two nights and then LA 1 or 2 nights. Hopefully we can stay in the same hotel. There is so much to do and we have never been there before. We are driving, but if you aren't close to the hotel it will be kind of hard to find you.

@Liana_Ilia I'm staying at the La Quinta Inn & Suites LAX on 5249 W Century Blvd.
I'm staying there since it's near the airport and has a shuttle to the airport.
According to google, my hotel is about 30+mins or so from the Theater

@Liana_Ilia I'd be up for meeting some cpm folks. My airbnb is actually really far from the theater so I've been spending this past week trying to figure out the cheapest and fastest routes to get around the city.

^Awesome! We are trying to figure out where to meet up. I think finding a park is too hard, since there aren't many around the area. Why don't we eat at a restaurant? I will be hungry after 4 hours of driving and will probably be in around 12-1, depending on traffic. I will research places to eat but I am sure there are plenty. For those that are LA residents do you know of any place that's great for groups? There is a shopping mall not far from the hotel and theatre, so we could try there, it's Hollywood and Highland. That would be fun. My parents can go off and check in and then we can hang out. @Atlas Star do you want to meet up as well?

@Liana_Ilia the Dolby is IN the Hollywood & Highland, right by the Chinese Theater. And depending on what you eat, restaurants there are kind of expensive. Hollywood blvd is full of traffic most of the time (esp saturdays...), so I'd recommend for you guys to eat or just meet there just in case?

Last edited by a moderator:
^None of those really have very much, but I found this one that is near the theatre.

http://losangeles.menupages.com/restaurants/sandellas-flatbread-cafe/menu

That way we don't have to even by on Hollywood Blvd for very long. it's 6 mins from the hotel, and that's walking. @Smiley We could take Uber there (if you want to meet there or just at the cafe), my mom would pay for it, when would you be getting to the hotel? Should we set a time, say 2:30? (I think check in time is 4 for us but my parents can check us in, and sometimes you can check in early. We would park the car anyways. We'll see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, who is down for a meetup? Now I am driving Fri night and staying somewhere half way, it'd be too far to drive straight through. Then I will be getting in around noon or so. Do you want to try lunch at that place? It seems pretty good. Here are a list of people that are going, updated:

myself
@rsultan59
@nimsaj
@Yui Makino (Are you still going?)
@Atlas Star
@Nobelly
@brody
@arqnohikari
@sarasara
@sora
@Tokyogirl1996
@Smiley

Who has a VIP ticket? We should post our pics here so we recognize each other. It's kind of hard to PM everyone, since it only allows 5 people. Look at that place and tell me what you think. I will be there (LA) all day Sun and possibly (most likely) staying somewhere else (Celebrity Hotel is expensive!!!). I've seen Vegas plenty of times. Sorry for harping on you guys, just wanted to know who wants to meet. I think it would be fun. I know some are going to Little Tokyo, we will be doing that Sun. Which is why we should put our pic, I did a few pages back and so did sarasara I think. Well, if you just want to come, or we can kind of talk about the concert after the VIP. I think it will run kind of late, won't it? Hopefully the autos will be in the same building. Does anyone know if they have rooms set up besides the hall or is just the hall?

Soooo ready for it to be next week. (This week has been busy, but draining.) Now I'm off to practice what I want to say to Yuki. Hopefully I'll be able to this time. SO nervous. Wish I had more time to try and draw them, or be any good. I did give Kalafina my symphonia drawing and Wakana liked it. Still. I wish I had the ability of many people I know. I hope that I get a chance to meet all of you, even if for a brief time!!!!

@Liana my flight will arrive LA at 09:45 am Friday, I think I will arrive hotel around 12:00 pm. Yes we can meet at hotel lobby at 2:30 pm Saturday and go for lunch together before live.

Back