Yuki Kajiura announced for Anime Expo Friday 6 July 2018

Too unknown for most of the audience, even if it had an American release, hue. I personally don't mind the setlist, but I would make some changes. I would've traded the beginning of the end for Shadows and fog, and move Lancer and assassin to the end, since it's more hype.

Nuuuu I'd much rather have Hana no Uta at the end. Lancer and assassin's tediously viscous nature (just my opinion!) will probably sound much more boring.

I loved it. I recorded audio of Yuki’s entire set, but my phone was in my pocket so I’m not expecting much quality. I’ll post after I get a chance to check and clean up the files. Too bad Yuki played only half an hour though. I didn’t realize these things ended so early. But when Aimer came out at the end to join Yuki and band to do Hana no Uta, I went nuts.

https://twitter.com/KORE1225/status/1015519477826445312

YukiKajiura@LA MichrosoftTheater公演終了!久々のアメリカ、良いショウが出来たと思います。May'nちゃんのバックアップやAimerとのコラボも上手くいったし良いオーディエンスやスタッフにも恵まれ短くも濃い数日でした。

DhfZlMAU0AAut4X.jpg

DhfZlTnV4AAkCY7.jpg

As if I didn't know but thank you for sharing.

Where did I say I expected 25+ tracks?

how much did you expect then ? I agree that this setlist was weird.

I'd replace longing with first town, and i'd add at least one Zaregoto bgm.

Yeah she should have included a bgm from an obscure anime no one watched instead of the uber popular Yuna song from the movie which everyone remembers because it sounds like to the beginning

Is the song actually popular? Serious question since I've no idea how it's used in the movie or what people actually think of it.

I thought the singing was excellent in Yuki's set, with good intonation and ensemble. Joelle did a great Emily impression. Joelle and Kaori kept switching off on high and low parts. They also looked like they were having fun. I was way off to the side so I got a good view of Kaori, and she has a great attitude, like a fun-loving college student. Yuriko also looked slightly more animated than usual I thought. Joelle still seems to me like she's settling in up there with the other singers. She definitely has different dance moves than Yuki's singers usually do. (But Keiko and Wakana, please come back!!!!)

I wasn't very impressed with May'n's singing but she really got into her performance. Her face on the big video screen was so intense and emotional at times, it looked like she was crying. May'n used some of Yuki's band, along with her own keyboardist and some male dancers. (I couldn't tell if her bassist was Jr. He sort of looked like him but he wasn't wearing his trademark glasses so I wasn't totally sure.) I liked Sayuri a little better, but she's not really my cup of tea either. As Westkana mentioned, she sang the song from Boku during her set. She played acoustic guitar and had a live keyboardist with her, along with recorded backing tracks. I really liked the animated videos she was showing during her songs. I don't know if it's from an anime or if it's her own personal theme. I noticed that one of the characters in the videos had the same outfit and hair as Sayuri.

Aimer was doing her piano acoustic versions during her whole set, so it was really nice to hear Yuki's full band accompanying her for Hana no Uta. I have to say, other than that one song, I'm no Aimer fan, but she really impressed me during this concert. When Aimer came on and started singing following Sayuri and May'n, I thought the overall level of musicianship just shot up several notches. Even though I don't really like her voice, she's a very expressive singer with good control, and just on another level from May'n and Sayuri. I didn't realize that she was still doing her thing of not showing her face. It was very obvious that she didn't want to be seen on the video screens. Also, she probably spoke English the best out of all the singers, although Yuki's English is good too. I didn't realize that Aimer is pronounced "M.A." like in French. I always pronounced her name to rhyme with "gamer." Maybe that's why people looked at me funny.

On another topic, I noticed on Twitter that Yuki, Yuriko, and crew were chowing down on a lot of Pink's, In N Out, and Ruby's during their LA trip. I wouldn't have advised that, because you don't want to risk jeopardizing your first US show in several years due to a digestive emergency.

Ugh. Going from the recording I thought they all sounded like crap during the main set to be honest (lancer&assassin probably being the best; Kaori in key of the twilight was cancer) and I really don't like how Joelle sings. At least Aimer can perform her songs.

@Kowz well that's something... obviously I'm out of touch with what the general audience seems to like.

PS. Could someone confirm who was the lead singer for lancer&assassin?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back