Yuki Kajiura announced for Anime Expo Friday 6 July 2018

That was Yuriko if I remember correctly.
Thanks. That would be my guess from the recording too but that blog I linked earlier made it seem like Joelle was doing Remi's lead vocals on the first day so I figured I'd ask. :)

-The beginning of the end: This is Joelle, right? At times she sounds like Kaori, hue. She sounds bretty good here. A lot better than Wakana singing this part. Kajiura needs to let go if this track though. She also started her AX 2012 concert with this one.
-Lancer and assassin: I was worried that the choir parts at the beginning would sound a little underwhelming with just three singers, but it was fine. Yuriko kinda struggled with the high notes once the upbeat part started. Once the song transitioned to the next part she was fine.
-Longing: Kaori had a few pitch hiccups, but she managed to save most of them. Fine performance for a generic pop song hue.
-Key of the twilight: I forgot Joelle replaced Kaori in this one. It fits her pretty well. Liked it a lot. Dat flute solo out of nowhere.
-Yasashii yoake: Pretty good, although I think Kaori handled the jump to the higher note in the verses better than Joelle.
-Luminous sword: Never liked the live version of this one. It's pretty underwhelming.
-Hana no uta: Bretty good, hue.

Overall, it makes me crave a release of YKL14.

@Kowz well that's something... obviously I'm out of touch with what the general audience seems to like.
I'm actually a little surprised, since I expected a few more negative reactions because of the TtB similarities. Then again, it's SAO so it;s bound to be popular.

-The beginning of the end: This is Joelle, right? At times she sounds like Kaori, hue. She sounds bretty good here. A lot better than Wakana singing this part. Kajiura needs to let go if this track though. She also started her AX 2012 concert with this one.

That was Kaori actually. That's why she sounded so much like Kaori :ohoho:

IMHO she doesn't. It's not even that she's struggling - she has zero control over her voice going by this recording.

I thought it was kind of strange how both Joelle and Kaori took high parts or low parts in different songs. They're both flexible singers. However, their voices to me aren't as immediately recognizable as Keiko or Wakana's.

This mini live was pretty decent. Having less singers than usual was a plus for me since I could more easily make out what they were singing, and they all sounded pretty nice. A little too much vibrato and screaming in some places, but nothing horrible.

Hearing the .hack pieces was really nostalgic, and hearing them alongside the sao tracks makes me long for the days Kajiura used to experiment with insert songs.

Beginning of the End and Luminous Sword are boring and played out. She really should have opened with something from pripri or kubikri cycle, and luminous sword should have swapper out for moon and shadow.

@Terry: Why is the bitrate just 143 kbps ? lol maybe that why they sound bad.
cant believe that a post 2012 phone cant record at 320kbps, you should check your app's settings.

> implying 320 would sound much better when still recorded in a pocket...

Cant believe.
Thanks for sharing george.

who said it was in a pocket ? people had their phones on hand taking pics and vids from what you saw earlier.

edit: oh the post where is says about the pocket escaped my attention.
well hopefully someones else had it out of pocket

well it was on the previous page, and at a point where i though i had already read the posts.

yes you are lol.

@Terry: Why is the bitrate just 143 kbps ? lol maybe that why they sound bad.
cant believe that a post 2012 phone cant record at 320kbps, you should check your app's settings.
The bitrate isn't why it sounds bad. It sounds bad because it was recorded on an iPhone in my pocket. If the staff had allowed it, I would have brought in a full field recording setup with Neumann mics on booms and tube preamp and ADC. But I thought they might throw me out, so I just used the iPhone voice recording app, which actually records at 64 Kbps. It must have upsampled when I edited the files. I don't know what the maximum resolution of the iPhone mic is, but I doubt that it's 320 Kbps. That would probably just produce a bigger file without any additional quality.

I am surprised that she didn't include some pripri, since that's a recent show that would have been familiar to the crowd. She basically touched on only 3 franchises with multiple songs representing each, so there could have been more variety. But Yuki works in mysterious ways. And I'm not complaining, since I was just thrilled to see her live at all.

@Terry Tsurugi It's okay. George just can't believe certain things and is quick to point out that you're doing it wrong. :p

(And I'm hyper sensitive to certain attitudes today. Or at least to how I read and interpret them...)

I've learned that Yuki fans tend to be very critical, but that's OK. I admire people who have high standards. I'm pretty picky myself. As long as we don't take anything personally, it's all good.

If you asked me, I don't think people here are critical enough... :P
But I guess different aspects stop each of us from enjoying things...
Obviously I'm a bitter oldtimer dreaming of the good old days (when I enjoyed Kajiura's output more and when I was more oblivious of the singers' performances)...

The bitrate isn't why it sounds bad. It sounds bad because it was recorded on an iPhone in my pocket. If the staff had allowed it, I would have brought in a full field recording setup with Neumann mics on booms and tube preamp and ADC. But I thought they might throw me out, so I just used the iPhone voice recording app, which actually records at 64 Kbps. It must have upsampled when I edited the files. I don't know what the maximum resolution of the iPhone mic is, but I doubt that it's 320 Kbps. That would probably just produce a bigger file without any additional quality.

Don't worry, brah. We all appreciate your recordings. :chuu:

If you asked me, I don't think people here are critical enough... :P
But I guess different aspects stop each of us from enjoying things...
Obviously I'm a bitter oldtimer dreaming of the good old days (when I enjoyed Kajiura's output more and when I was more oblivious of the singers' performances)...
I hear ya. But I'd say Yuki fans are pretty critical compared to say Yuki Kaji or Yuki Uchida fans. There was this guy a couple of rows in front of me dressed in a Santa outfit who was even older than me (I think), and he was just rocking out and enjoying the music more than anyone in the entire place. I loved that. I'm sure he's very knowledgeable about music and can hear lots of flaws in the performance or composition, but that doesn't keep him from enjoying himself like a little kid when the music is playing.

Back