Which Yuki vocalist do you like the most?

What song is Maya actually in? :confu: I can only hear her in "sprinter" for around four lines, so I'm wondering if she had anything more that made people like her so much. I know she has a, uh, powerful voice when singing live, but aside from that...

In English only songs:

Emily Bindiger, Deb Lyons and Emily Curtis

I don't have anything against Maya, but now when I rewatched Kizuato and ARIA live performance from seventh heaven DVD, and re-listened sprinter again, now I realize that in those 2 live Maya didn't sing in harmonisation, only sing Kajiuran in kizuato,replaced Keiko's "kono yamanai namida no mama de etc" in ARIA, and singing "calling,your name,calling your name" behind Hikaru and Keiko in sprinter. Now it comes to my head that maybe Maya got kicked out from Kalafina because she can't harmonise. Hikaru at least can still do it, although most of her harmonisation didn't sound well. After all, it's useless to have 2 altos in 4-persons group.

But still, I love Maya's voice. Her falsetto is much MORE BETTER than Hikaru's that sounds like mouse-squeaking in falsetto.

^ Maya also sang the penultimate chorus in that Aria, as opposed to Wakana doing it in the Red Moon DVD. :sparkleguy:

I think she can harmonize, though there's not much places where she does. The Kajiurago in Kizuato was sung by more than one of them, which means that she needed to sing a certain melody line in order to harmonize with the others...then again, we've got almost no examples of her! :rain:

Personally I love her voice too, but I can't really give her a place on my list since we've heard so little from her.
I think the reason why she left was because someone, whether it be Kajiura-sensei or the Sony people, realized that her voice was just as epic as Wakana's if not even more so, and didn't want her eventually overshadowing the others in Kala and unintentionally becoming the 'leader' of the group.

Maya sing the Kajiuran in Kizuato in exact same notes as Yuriko did in recording version so I didn't count that as harmonization.

Still, I prefer have Maya in Kalafina than Hikaru.

I think the reason why she left was because someone, whether it be Kajiura-sensei or the Sony people, realized that her voice was just as epic as Wakana's if not even more so, and didn't want her eventually overshadowing the others in Kala and unintentionally becoming the 'leader' of the group
Isn't this one happened to Hikaru now? *bricked to death*

^ I think all three of them get pretty equal parts right now, even Keiko. Although I'm sure many people would disagree with me...so I'd better get back on topic :ohoho:

My favorite vocalist out of all of them is still Keiko, but Fion is a close second though, because of her lovely haunting voice. :shy:

I think Hikaru is not over shadowing the 2 members of Kalafina.

ninetales said:
My favorite vocalist out of all of them is still Keiko, but Fion is a close second though, because of her lovely haunting voice.
I love it when Fion sings, another thing is because I don't hear her all the time/she only sings occasionally. :]

Re:

@ritardando: I'm going to have to disagree.

The Harmonies Maya Sang

Sprinter:
- No harmonies. Then again, Hikaru and Wakana barely had any- it was mostly Keiko.

ARIA live:
- Harmonizing Kajiuran w/ Wakana and Keiko in first verse
- Melody then lower harmony w/ Waka in pre-chorus Kajiuran (I think.)
- Low harmony + secondary melody w/ Hikaru in 2nd verse
- Lower harmony at "Hajimatta"

Kizuato:
- Lower Kajiurago harmony w/ Hikaru for the song's entirety.

(Corrections are welcomed and appreciated.)

ritardando said:
Maya sing the Kajiuran in Kizuato in exact same notes as Yuriko did in recording version so I didn't count that as harmonization.

Firstly, Wakana's main melody/harmony proportions are less balanced than Maya's. Waka's still there, and an inability to sing harmonies doesn't sound like a legit reason to leave the group. Secondly, if someone singing the same notes as the original singer means their version doesn't count, then many of FJ's live covers have no merit.

Re: Re:

wintersviolet said:
Secondly, if someone singing the same notes as the original singer means their version doesn't count, then many of FJ's live covers have no merit.
I have to agree on this, moreover, I always felt that people are being mean when they say Maya was kicked out, she was not an incompetent vocalist.

maybe one reason they never mention Maya again is because their contracts doesnt allow sony to use Maya's name or picture again after she quit :confu:

^ That sounds very reasonable.

Well, I've not heard enough of Maya to consider her as a vocalist that I like. Though, what I have heard makes me likely to check out her music if she ever does a solo career, or something.

My Number One, hands down: Kaori. Although she is the one with the most mainstream sound, I love that she is so versatile and can carry a song only by herself. She is wonderful at best and mediocre at worst. Also a funny, kindhearted person
Number 2: Wakana. Goddess voice, goddess style
3: Keiko (love her deep voice and her cute appearance. Reminds me on a girly girl with a tomboy streak (No, she is not full Tomboy, cause they were short hair, and Keiko were them seldom).

To sit here and be required to think about it, I would have to say my top three for different but equally important reasons would have to be, in no particular order:

Keiko, Hikaru and Yuriko Kaida.

Reasons:

Keiko is what I wish I would sound like as a woman and a man. I can sing from any note she's sung in a song at her range (though not always comfortably), down to just above her verse note in dolce an octave lower (I used to be able to sing it strongly, but I've gotten in a lot of very harsh and passionate arguments from 7+ years of family issues and f*cked myself over a bit) and base the addition of richness in tone from anything she's done. Thus she is my inspiration over any man and even my college choir teacher reacted to a clip I'd shown him like
:ohnoes:" . . . Oh. Well damn"

Hikaru
is basically what I do sound like as a man, as her voice is not perfect but still possesses redeeming qualities, and is thus the most relatable. Unlike many people, I have never had a problem with her and think some of us can get a bit out of hand when describing her. As I am labeled a baritone and not a true bass, I am often given similar awkward, not-meant-for-solo notes in chamber choirs I've been a part of and thus enjoy listening to her (and Kaori in similar situations). She is also indescribably and gorgeously passionate and emotional, which I relate to as I have been a lyrical and liturgical dancer for 17 years. I am also accustomed to being asked to sing lower than who I'd assume would sing such a part as she has done recently in HR, and she did so very nicely and was largely complemented by many of you, to my surprise. However, I am not asked to sing above the actual high register of the moment, and these recent performances such as Hikari no Senritsu and Oblivious have truly been shocking me, as I am honestly not very appreciative of sopranos.

Yuriko Kaida is the person that forces me to retract my most recent statement. I also thought, "well, I only truly like her when I hear her studio stuff", as I adore hearing her harmonize with herself. Especially her self-4-parters such as Bitter, or Otome no Komoriuta, etc.. But even when assigned a fairly tiny role such as hers in Gaika, her voice has not lost any value or become any less ethereal.

1)Yuriko Kaida - she's the reason I listen to Kajura's OST, very unique voice and I love her low notes too. She has a very wide range and really succeeds at kajiurago chorus as compared to other singers.

Her voice is so soothing, definitely the singer I'd listen to when I want to relax on a Sunday afternoon
:tea::tea::tea:

2)Keiko Kubota - she has an incredibly unique voice for a contralto, almost reminds me of a bass baritone, except she's not male. Her voice gives Kalafina this mystique and cello-esque aura. I never get tired of hearing her.

:dote::dote::dote:

4)Fion - That mystique, haunting voice(Saints), so eerie and ethereal. It puts me in a trance.
:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

5)Maya - Oh sure we've heard so little of her.
But I'm just a sucker for low notes,
:TdT::TdT::TdT:

besides she has a spinto tone that I love! (Sprinter), that's not metallic and not too intensive like Hikaru's

:love::love::love:
I wish she at least had a solo career
:faint:

6)Yuri Kasahara - Because I like dramatic opera singers (Salva Nos/Limits/Walk on Your Destiny)
:hearts:

7)Eri Itou(Tsubasa Chronicles)/Hanae Tomaru - They are very soothing.

8)Wakana/Kaori - very smooth vocals. In Wakana's case she has the voice of a true siren (I prefer when she sings in Kajiurago thou), I also don't like too much her thou.
for Kaori her voice can give her independence.

9)Hikaru - I like her Spinto metallic voice... But it's just too overly bright. I like her when she sings alto. I also like it when she sings rock songs, she's so fierce. But I wish that she used her chest register more often.(Destination Unknown/Sprinter)

10)Yuuka Nanri - I like her songs... But the overly brightness of her voice -- I just can't handle it.
:hide:

Back