"Vanitas no Karte" music composed by Yuki Kajiura (OST on Feb 23, 2022)

3, not 2.

And there are still unreleased tracks in those 2 movies the "OST1" covered.

(And before anyone asks me about those updated BD rips of Hokuto, I'm still where I was with them the last time I mentioned anything about them. Procrastination and lack of motivation is a thing.)

Random poopinions.

-Legend of the blue eyes: Lovely main theme. Starts very mysterious and magical with the xylophone and strings, then it turns a little more romantique~ Lovely. Shame part of the flute solo is lit the violin solo from Symposium magarum. Kajiura really needs someone to check her compositions before recording them hue.

-A symptom of something wrong: Eh ambiance.

-Paris, the city of light: I ended up liking the track, BUT I don’t really think this fits Paris hue.

-A happy moment: Ooof delicious combination of accordion, violin, flute, guitar and percussion. I’m honestly surprised it’s this long. It felt like it was going to end around the part it was just guitar and percussion.

-City of flowers: Oh very lovely. I’m not sure, is this baroque inspired?

-The destiny waltz: Not sure if the ambiance intro was necessary hue. Another take on the main theme. Really like the inclusion of the accordion with the grand strings. I felt like the choir was a little too much while watching the show, but standalone is not so unfitting.

-Never let anyone steal your name: Feels like it’s been a while since she used sampled vocals. Not very interesting, but sounds eerie, so mission accomplished I guess hue.

-A curse-bearer: Ambianceeeeeeeezzzzzzz.

-Inverse operation: Ooh now that’s kewl after two ambiance tracks in a row. Mysterious magical Hanae with clock sounds… lovely. The strings melody is good, but once the Nozaki drums come in they turn KEWL. Once again, the choir sounds good when standalone. Particularly liked the part with the male singers. It’s just so rare.

-I was moved: adventurous music? In Vanitas? Feels kinda out of place hue. But the track is not bad. It reminds me of the Elemental Gelade days.

-I will save you without fail!: Moar main theme. Short and dramatic.

-I met him and he met me: Gives an inspirational vibe. Nothing amazing, but it’s nice.

-When we three were together: I usually don’t care for Kajiura’s minimalistic piano/harp/xylophone tracks, but I quite liked this one. Must be the nostalgic, reminiscent melody. Short but nice.

-I was amazed: cute and quirky. I’m surprised how developed the melody is hue. Usually, these tracks are super short and repetitive.

-Snake in the grass: Middle eastern goodness. The cello part is kinda typical, but I quite liked the part with the e. guitar (or is it synth?).

-Making a search: I find it pretty interesting that it starts all happy-go-lucky and merry, and then it turns into a Kajiura searching-for-something track. I like it, but I think it would work better as two separate tracks hue.

-Another peaceful day: bretty comfy track. True to its name.

-A young noble: there’s something very enchanting about the repeating melody. It’s forever stuck in my head.

-The crimson gauntlet: Hanae + strings + untz is, of course, very Kajiura, but I feel like the structure isn’t very typical. The violin takes me back to Noir at times.

-He met her and she met him: OOF, ROMANTIQUE. This is so delicious. Sato should be a must in every soundtrack from now on.

-Is this love?: Aaaah more amour. God, Kajiura just needs to write for another anime based in France. She’s just so good at this. Or just write more French inspired music.

-Let’s go on a date: Ok this is a cute and merry track. Really like how it develops.

-Paris, city of darkness: ominous cello arrangement. Still too middle eastern for Paris hue.

-She sings: Eerie, but I gotta say I would’ve preferred an actual singer and actual melody.

-Look, here comes the parade: The synth instrument sounds kinda unsettling.

-At the ball: lovely Kajiura waltz. Although, why does it have the sampled vocals? Like wtf? For what purpose? Feels like they were added by accident.

-She’s a noble lady, my childhood friend: Nothing special, but I like melody.

-A fang of the queen: Weird intro. Delicious Hanae + strings + untz. All the weird sounds she used in the background sound pretty cool. There’s one that sounds like guitar that sounds pretty hype. LOVE the new Hanae part around the middle.

-A nobleman and his darkness: This cello track is very different than her usual cello tracks. Like, even if you take away the drums, piano, and strings, the melody and the way it develops isn’t typical Kajiura cello track.

-The covenant of blood: the melody is so enchantingly evil.

-What my master said: Nice piano and cello. Nothing special, but I think it’s at least more developed than other tracks like this from other soundtracks.

-Now our story beings: Eeeeeeeh why no real trumpet reeeeee. Very purty melody though. Gives me fuzzy feelings, specially when the flute comes in… wait, choir? That’s VERY unexpected hue.

-I am Vanitas: First time I heard it in the anime I thought the choir was too much, but after watching the (almost) whole thing I think it fits Vanita’s more chaotic good side. I like the fast chanting. Wish Kajiura did it more. The part where it’s just choir and some sound effects, before the organ, sounds so haunting.

-And who are you?: lmao, quirky arrangement of the previous track. It’s cute.

-There were calm days: More cozyness~

-My lost friend: It’s a very nostalgic melody. Love that it didn’t just stay “typical short harp track”.

-Trapped in the past: nice, minimalistic arrangement.

-Le chasseur: love the harpsichord in the intro. Would’ve been cool if it featured a kewl solo in the middle. Haunting Hanae. Ooop here comes the kewlness. After multiple Hanae tracks with untz, it’s nice to hear some Sato. Fug, I loved that… idk, crescendo? He did with the drums towards the end.

-Romantic battle: AH FINALLY THE FULL VERSION. This is 100% being performed at the next soundtrack live, and I wish I was there to hear it live reeee.

-Speech of a madman: thought it was gonna be a typical evil cello track, but I was surprised at how good the melody is. It sounds so playful.

-A young hunter: Another surprise. Thought it was just going to be a simple track with just the synth instrument and sound effects, but it turned into strings. The guitar solo is also pretty unusual. Me likey.

-The tale of the beast: Wow, you guys weren’t kidding when you said it was two minutes of ambiance hue.

-The ducal family: love me some regal sounding music.

-The automatons: this is a cool experiment. I thought some of the sounds were from the anime, but they ended up here hue.

-She is our queen: That intro with choir and drums gave me chills. The strings aren’t very interesting, but I’m quite liking the choir melody.

-The alteration device: Mmm mmm very nice organ. Ooh, that some unexpected orgel.

-The sunlight and your solitude: Nice little tune, though I feel like I’ve heard part of the melody before. Mmm.

-A faithful man: The whole thing feels very unusual for Kajiura, especially the pizzicato in the background.
-We still can go together: Huh, isn’t this the same as sunlight? Oh violin. There we go, hue. They start pretty similar. I like it once the violin starts.

-If the time comes, I’ll kill you: Emotional strings. Nice, but nothing special.

-Why did you kill our father: Oh damn, I thought it was just going to be a hauntingly beautiful sad Hanae track. The middle part makes it sound mysteriously kewl.

-We can’t choose how we live: Melancholic reprise of the main theme. Real nice, right before the end.
-If you want to save her: oh damn, more nice surprises. Accordion, untz AND HANAE? NOICE. I’m loving everything about this track.

-The gears of destiny: A final reprise of the main theme. Love how grand it sounds, but still has accordion just jamming there. Too bad the flute solo is still from symposium hue.

Overall, I'm very happy with this soundtrack. After Fena and this I'm even more excited for future Kajiura projects. Hopefully, she can keep it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Clearly "romantic battle" is the highlight of the soundtrack.
I swear, it's even better than "bear" from Hack//Sign.

-Le chasseur: love the harpsichord in the intro. Would’ve been cool if it featured a kewl solo in the middle. Haunting Hanae. Ooop here comes the kewlness. After multiple Hanae tracks with untz, it’s nice to hear some Sato. Fug, I loved that… idk, crescendo? He did with the drums towards the end.
I think you meant Nozaki?

As of the latest episode, they still have not used one track. Seems like it's going to be a setpiece BGM for this arc?

As of the latest episode, they still have not used one track. Seems like it's going to be a setpiece BGM for this arc?
It would be a spoiler, but the author tweeted about this, and the manga readers also expect that one track to be used in a particular scene, I think it will be used around ep 22.

So far i was wondering why they had so few of this high class friend/gf of Noe, glad the new arc focuses on her.

Is the manga supposed to end with the anime? I know there's only 3 episodes left but they are like 8 chapters apart as of now - that's insane.

looks like romantic battle has a ver without cello in the background I think.
is there a new Hanae track at the end of the 20th episode or have forgotten the ost already? - yes lol it was a tiny fragment of the spoiler track :p

Last edited:
I guess since we got a loli last arc it’s only fair we get a shota for this one lol

With four(?) episode left and the manga being where it is, I’m guessing the show will go on hiatus unless they do something really crazy to close things out.

I prefer the hiatus or else possibility of future soundtracks will also get eliminated like it happened with Pandora Hearts 😐

Even if they end up making more of this anime in the future, I feel like it's at least 3 years away - this cour pretty much caught up with the manga.
21 episodes for 8 volumes. Anime has 3 episodes left, (according to wiki) manga has 1 more volume and 3 uncollected chapters out.

I know the blurays did not sell well but does anyone know if the manga got a sales boost thanks to the show or how the anime was doing in TV ratings?

As for the manga sales, they ordered many re-prints before and after the anime as well. I'm sure the manga sales are much better. This arc will probably end with chapter 55.5, which was released last month.

Maybe it's stock carnival music?
TBH I'm not going to cry about this particular one being an outtake even if it's composed or arranged by Kajiura... (It sucks if that's the case but uh ya...)

Back