[Translation] Kalafina Record - Wakana Solo Interview

I don't know how the system works over in Japan, but I'm pretty sure it's still incredibly difficult to quit school (especially half-way through high school) to go into something as risky as the music industry

Cerise...basically in asian based society eg. Japan, Korea, China, Singapore and Malaysia...quitting high school or basically in Singapore and Malaysia we call it college here (British system)...is a big issue. It takes alot of courage and determination to quit school as most people in society ESPECIALLY MOTHERS/Aunties will immediately condemn the child as a failure :uh..:

I'll share abit about me :) (plz dont laugh at me :knife: )

I'm actually a straight A's student all the way from primary school(Elementary School), Secondary School(Middle School)...but when i came to college(High School) i really wanted to further my studies in music...then i started to go for auditions but were all not successful...cause there are very little music conservatories in Singapore (actually there is only 2 schools) and the intake per year for each school is only 30 students...(yes total 60 students out of all the students auditioning in Singapore)
However in College...i wasn't doing very well...cause all the subjects require one to apply their knowledge into different applications eg...Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Literature... but my forte lies in memorizing and Audio learning...so i ended up repeating a year in college...then when the 2nd year came i actually decided to drop out and go to a private school to obtain a diploma in Creative Movie Making and Soundtracking...
And here is the shocking things...all my friends, teachers and even relatives were condemning me and telling i'm gonna regret my choice in life...well i was very lucky like Wakana :dote: i had a mother who supported me all the way (even my father kinda discouraged me...)
In the end i went to that school :) and now i'm happy XD i composing amateur soundtracks for local movies and theater works and i get commission for it too, while studying in that school :) The funny things is that even till now, i still have friends who message on facebook
"OMG What happen to you Alaric? Why did u end up there???" :omg:
In the end what is important is whether i'm happy and doing the things that make me happy :) and not what everyone deem as socially correct...
I always tell those who look down on the path i took: " You laugh at me because i took a longer path then what everyone else took, but i will laugh at you because all of you took the same path..."

I believe in life...sometimes one has to make a tough decision...like for Wakana , Me and many other who have dropped out from College... Similarly to Kajiura sama who quit her job to pursue music. Asian societies are sure harsh...especially when all the aunties and middle age women start to gossip and demoralize an individual because of their choice in life...so sad :ayashii:

Cerise...basically in asian based society eg. Japan, Korea, China, Singapore and Malaysia...quitting high school or basically in Singapore and Malaysia we call it college here (British system)...is a big issue. It takes alot of courage and determination to quit school as most people in society ESPECIALLY MOTHERS/Aunties will immediately condemn the child as a failure

yah, I thought so...it's especially saddening when Wakana mentions how when she told her parents she wanted to leave school her mother cried all the time and her father was 'silently angry'. :touched: \

/reads ala's story :touched:

In the end what is important is whether i'm happy and doing the things that make me happy :) and not what everyone deem as socially correct...
I always tell those who look down on the path i took: " You laugh at me because i took a longer path then what everyone else took, but i will laugh at you because all of you took the same path..."

YOU TELL 'EM! :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Asian societies are sure harsh...especially when all the aunties and middle age women start to gossip and demoralize an individual because of their choice in life...so sad
:uh..: Yeah, I know exactly what you mean…

And I'm sure you'll one day achieve everything you wanted, since you're smart, determined and obviously dedicated to what you do. :goodjob: And from the sounds of things, it's going well? :goodjob: Keep at it! Success will surely come to you soon! :cheer: :w00t:

Asians are like that. They don't believe in possibilities. They think routine is safer than taking risks. Finish school, find a job, earn money, get married, have children. The end.

Re:

Ophelia Arcana said:
Asians are like that. They don't believe in possibilities. They think routine is safer than taking risks. Finish school, find a job, earn money, get married, have children. The end.
Isn't it like this everywhere? :uh..:

This is the "safe path" in life according to traditional people. I've once told my mother that I wanted to be a famous novelist like J.K. Rowling but she said my books would never sell and that I should find a more realistic career like being a teacher. :cry: My heart was torn apart. And it still is, my heart never healed. But deep down inside, the determination is still there. Sorry for being off-topic. People nowadays just don't believe in "dreams come true" anymore. It's getting less. "Dreams come true" are only fairy tales to this materialistic world.

Re: Re:

Varete said:
Ophelia Arcana said:
Isn't it like this everywhere? :uh..:

I think it is because of education...elementary school--middle school--high school--university :XD: this brainwashing routine...
I've seen my mom's friends (other mothers...) talk about children
when i was 10 years old--grades...
13years old--Which prestigious middle school did their child go
16 years old---which prestigious high school did their child go
18years old--which prestigious university did their child go
After university--what is their child's job,position and pay

they won't talk about any other thing in the world
Most asian parents would say..."want something in life...study, get good grades, go to the top school,mix with smart people..."
(my god...almost every asian parent is like this...plz don't let this disease go viral around the world lol...the future generations)

Just go ask Wakana, Yuki Kajiura sama...those who have been through the "road less traveled" and they would tell you that sometimes the riskier path might be a better choice instead...its more fun, more rewarding and ultimately more meaningful...seriously i had 1 teacher in middle school that told me it's good to dream but dreams will always remain dreams....so quit dreaming....WTF?! :bloodlust:

If everyone quit their dreams, then there wouldn't be iPhones/iPads, no video games, no animes/mangas, no everything we enjoyed right now. Dreams only come true when you're determined to achieve it (not halfway effort), apply correct methods and taking chances at the right time.

Re: Re:

Cerise said:
Just think, if something should happen and she was no longer able to sing again, she doesn't have many career choices to fall back on, since she didn't go to uni either.
Another reason for her to be extremely careful about her voice :tea:

^Couldn't agree more. If she is reckless with her voice, she may end up not having even the chance to host a random babbling variety show on tv :psst: :XD:

Off topic: I don't know where to put this or if it has been mentioned elsewhere but, does anyone want to continue this and make it into a translation project of the entireKalafina Record o.o?

^ I'd love that :waii: Is there anyone who's willing to or has time to translate though? And anyone who could supply the actual original interviews, like scans or a transliteration or something? :ayashii:

/is still wondering whether should buy it or not now... :desksweat:

I actually have a copy of the book so I can see how to work some things out but I can't translate because I can't understand Japanese beyond a few basic kanji lol

I have the Record myself, but to be honest, the book (and the font) is so small that it was daunting to read :XD: But if anyone wants to make a project of it, I can help! I'll translate the musician comments 8D

Re:

ninetales said:
I have the Record myself, but to be honest, the book (and the font) is so small that it was daunting to read :XD: But if anyone wants to make a project of it, I can help! I'll translate the musician comments 8D

Repeatedly poke me and jab me in the face and I'm pretty sure I can have the kanji all on wordpad or something lol. I'm not scanning the book... There's a huge risk there but yeah, if people are willing to chip in and translate, I'm willing to provide them the text if they don't have the book =3

Honestly, I wish Wakana should've gone to Uni. In our culture, education more important that anything else that even some actors/actresses still continue to go to school while working.

Re:

murrue02 said:
Honestly, I wish Wakana should've gone to Uni. In our culture, education more important that anything else that even some actors/actresses still continue to go to school while working.

True. The certificates are important so when you dropped out of the entertainment industry you can still pursue your study. Like Maya-chan.

Back