3/22(土)、23日(日)に東京ビッグサイトにて開催の
「AnimeJapan 2014」にてステージイベントの開催が決定しました。

日時:2014年3月23日(日)15時40分~
場所:AnimeJapan REDステージ
出演:松岡禎丞、戸松遥、竹達彩奈、伊藤かな恵、沢城みゆき、鷲崎健

※ステージ観覧には事前応募が必要となります。
詳細はAnimeJapan公式HPにてご確認下さい。
http://anime-japan.jp/

I'm disappointed. Was hoping she would work on a different series. Looking at her tweets, it didn't seem like she was very interested in this series so I'm surprised she took the job.

So, the nhk morning drama and this for the year? *sigh*

^ I am happy, since this arc setting fits better with her style (compared with the 2 previous ones)
Doing an other series?, as far as I have seen there arent many that are better than this (apart from the new Fate Stay Night, which doesnt mean that she wont be doing this one as well), and it depends on what she has been offered to do, she cant invade a studio and force them to accept her if they dont want to.

^ whether or not a series is good is subjective. I personally think this is utter trash but you obviously don't think so. I didn't want her to do this since I think SAO was one of her weakest works. Better to not do anything than churn out mediocre work. I don't think she's desperate enough to have to take whatever is offered. Quite the opposite actually.

Also, she seems to do better with series that she shows an interest in (ie. KnK). I'll take your word that this arc fits better and hope she does give us something better this time.

^ Can you give me links to her twits ? I also think that if she was totally not interested she wouldnt be taking it.

^ whether or not a series is good is subjective. I personally think this is utter trash but you obviously don't think so.

I think its a good novel directed in a bad way, so I would prefer this Tomohiko Ito guy switched. The novels till volume 9 (where it got boring) were for me, of the cant-stop-reading type.

Music wise, if I judge based on the unreleased REMI bgm used in Extra edition, I think we can hope for good music :)

Last edited:
^ whether or not a series is good is subjective. I personally think this is utter trash but you obviously don't think so. I didn't want her to do this since I think SAO was one of her weakest works. Better to not do anything than churn out mediocre work. I don't think she's desperate enough to have to take whatever is offered. Quite the opposite actually.

Also, she seems to do better with series that she shows an interest in (ie. KnK). I'll take your word that this arc fits better and hope she does give us something better this time.

You totally deserve my eternal love for posting this, Hatouchan! Completely agree with you on this one.

On other notes...who's thinking this will have an OP/ED by Kalafina? This will be airing on July, right? Maybe Kalafina will announce a new single on their June concert (the Kimi no Gin no Niwa live concert). With the anime + Kalafina's popularity, Sony maybe will force Kajiura to make a song for them.

Her music is what kept me from watching this series, although it can get repetitive at times (especially on the second arc). Here is to hoping that the next season will be adapted better.

Also, did Yuki really lose interest in working for this? And I thought that since the concept is somehow similar to the .hack series she had worked on the past she would be more than alright to work on it.

^ Can you give me links to her twits ? I also think that if she was totally not interested she wouldnt be taking it.
There's no specific tweet. She obviously can't criticise the series out loud. I base my impression on her tweets of the show, which is no more than about the show starting, as compared to her tweets for the others. Her lack of enthusiasm shows.

I think its a good novel directed in a bad way, so I would prefer this Tomohiko Ito guy switched. The novels till volume 9 (where it got boring) were for me, of the cant-stop-reading type.
My opinions of the show were formed based on the content, not the direction although that certainly didn't help. Unless you're telling me they rewrote the story, I do not think the novel will change my opinion.

Music wise, if I judge based on the unreleased REMI bgm used in Extra edition, I think we can hope for good music :)
I hope so. It's the only thing I anticipate.

For the op/ed, I think kalafina wouldn't fit this series. Kajiura can certainly try and surprise us though. Hopefully in a good way. ^^;

No they didnt rewrote the story but they dedicated 5 (3-7) episodes to the side stories while they could do them in form of OVAs or just flashbacks (which they did too, so these episodes werent worth making), so the main story was compressed between ep, 1, 2 8-14 on first arc, they shortened all battles (both arcs) and focuses too much on the love side, they showed too few of the characters' inner thoughts which were imo an important part of the story, they sampled YK's music, as a result every episode has about half ost as bgm, and requested too few battle musics, so the few made were overused. they also didnt use music in a certain scene which in any other director's hands would have an epic music, and in arc 2 they skipped a chapter which would be 2 episodes long. - These are all director's fault, not liking the story is an other issue and I respect it :)
btw here's an interview of the director http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interview/2014-03-12/interview-tomohiko-ito

Actually I'm a little ashamed to admit this, but I didn't know much about the original work at first. In fact, I was told the studio had gotten this product licensed for animation and was asked if I be interested, and so I was reading the work and thought "oh, so this is what's popular these days?" But in my honest opinion, it seemed to be aimed toward a young adult audience, and that was kind of appealing to me;

:uh..: so looks like he wasnt interested either :S now I have fears on how the new season will turn out.

Talking about stories, the stories of some previous anime like .hack or El cazador werent that great either, yet they produced great osts, so I think its more on how much inspiration she has, rather than if she likes the story (but that counts too)

Last edited:
The only reason why I managed to finish watching SAO was because I had finished all the other anime I had on hand then. The music wasn't that bad but there was nothing in it that grabbed my attention. Nothing.

Definitely hoping that Yuki will surprise me us this time round.
I don't blame her if it goes south though.

I think I'll wait and see what other people say about the second season while they're watching it, because during the first one I teetered on the brink of dropping it, constantly cursing myself for sticking with it as the improvements I was hoping for never materialised. I only started watching it for the soundtrack anyway, which as some of you have already pointed out is far from YK's best so there's not much to tempt me back now. Apart from the characters, but that's still not much of an incentive when other aspects are lacking.

I've not read the source material either, but I still think the weaknesses of the adaptation came from the direction and/or screenplay. Even if the original story isn't up to scratch, there's always an opportunity to discard/change the bad parts while retaining the better ones...it's a 'second chance' to make a mediocre story better, or a good story outstanding!

I don't think the first season was *quite* as bad as the fandumb made out - hype, whether it's positive or negative, often exaggerates things - but I'm still not excited about it. Not nearly as much as, say, the new Fate series that's coming up this year at any rate.

^ there's always a chance that Yuki will do the new fate as well, since she's probably finished with Hanako to Ann in some percent.

focuses too much on the love side
And yet, it is one of the most under developed "love story" that I've ever seen. It came out of nowhere, asuna throwing herself at him and all. I'll assume the novel does a better job with this... It'd be hard not to.

I personally found .hack//sign and El cazador to be more enjoyable. Hack sign had its psychological and sociological themes (escapism, virtual vs real life relationships, etc) which I found interesting. Perhaps the things you and I look for in a show differ.

El cazador, while it had an asinine overall plot, gave enjoyable character interaction. It's like watching the two of them on a giant date/honeymoon. Lol. I can see why some find it boring though, even I found it a drag at certain points but it was enjoyable overall. It's not action scene after action scene but I wouldn't have it any other way. Nothing but action scenes make for a bad show too. They chose to develop their relationship, the main point of the show, rather than give us pointless action scenes.

It's hard to tell whether she found those 2 interesting/inspiring though, as Twitter didn't exist back then. I can only tell you that she really wanted to compose for KnK after reading the novels. It was more like she felt obliged to tweet that SAO was airing, rather than because she wanted to watch it too. I think that whether or not she connects with a series will affect her inspiration and, in turn, her work.

I wonder though, if she were to write an op/ed for the show, what would the lyrics be about?

Yes the relationship of Kirito and Asuna is explained better in novel. btw in the new season's arc there will be no love story, so some that didnt liked it can be happy.

As for the song's lyrics, it could be about Shino's psycology, since's she's the one this arc focuses into, I guess it could be a ballad.
She's apparently scared of guns (she vomits every time she touches or sees one) because in the past, whem she was still a child, she and her mother were in a bar-like place and a bad guy entered and killed her mother, so she then took the gun and shoot him) and she plays the game in order to fight her fear for the guns. In the game she isnt afraid of guns anymore but she's still is irl.

There are more themes too, like two player killers from sao arc (not shown in the anime) seeking revenge from Kirito, one in game and one irl, and a in-game tournament

when I watched .hack SIGN what I didnt like what that even though it was supposed to be a game, there was no action at all, just talk, talk, talk (with no humour as well as far as I recall), who knows if I watch it again I might change opinion, as for elcazador it was obviously less good than noir or madlax, with a stupid boss villian that's beaten very easily (but L.A was interesting)., I guess the yuri relationship was the main theme of the show.

Last edited:
Back