New Chat Complaint Thread (Reverted for now)

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://chat.canta-per-me.net ! It's different! its's wierd!

I'm seeing if we can move from http://www.phpfreechat.net/ 1.x to http://candy-chat.github.io/candy/

Why?

First, phpfreechat has been undergoing a total rewrite for years. And it's still horrible.

Second, We can now have a proper chat server since we're on a virtual private server. So I've set up one that XMPP/Jabber based. This means, in the future, you should be able to log in with your on client instead of just through the browser. But... not quite yet.

Complain about what you miss, or that we should go back, below. And bugs, of course.

missing:

/me
/join
/nick (as a command) added
extra chat text colours
bold / strikeout text
any pointer to the software used / help text - http://candy-chat.github.io/candy/ could still do with help text

disadvantage:

requires access to ajax.googleapis.com fixed

the bunch of settings in the bottom right hand corner of the desktop screen don't appear on my mobile at all, so I can't change nickname, set text colour...

no recall of previously typed lines of text

no bolding of lines with your nickname in them

Last edited:
^Kuga, what about italics? That's probably missing too.

Sound notification for the main room chat was quite useful too :bow:

Sound notification for PMs doesn't seem to be working

EDIT: It seems to work on IE but not on Firefox. Not sure if it's just me though, or how it is on other browsers.

Last edited by a moderator:
missing:

/me
/join
/nick (as a command)
extra chat text colours
bold / strikeout text
any pointer to the software used / help text - http://candy-chat.github.io/candy/

disadvantage:

requires access to ajax.googleapis.com

the bunch of settings in the bottom right hand corner of the desktop screen don't appear on my mobile at all, so I can't change nickname, set text colour...

no recall of previously typed lines of text

If /join is missing, /leave is probably missing too

The lines of text entered since you last had the chat tab/window in focus doesn't show on the top of the tab/window either, it's handy to know if there is new text while you have a different tab open to the forum.

In private messages, one's own text appears black, regardless of colour setting, but appears as the colour setting on the receiver's end.

EDIT: It seems to work on IE but not on Firefox. Not sure if it's just me though, or how it is on other browsers.

Seems to work fine on Chrome. I were you i would never use IE since it has big security holes and is alot slower than firefox or Chrome or Opera since it literally gets updated only every time windows change, and they are going to replace it soon :)

@Sudrien when onions are typed, appears only the upper half and you need to scroll down to see them all, as opposed to old chatroon where they were appearing whole from the beginning

Last edited:
^Oh, no, I'm actually using Firefox. I just tried it on IE to test :)

I can log in :sohappy:

Before, dunno why, but it never worked when I was at home. My Internet settings, I think.

Now it works !:goodjob:

First, I would like to say thanks for trying to improve the chat! For many years it was the same thing, with the same problems that were never fixed or were impossible to fix (I dont want to criticize anyone but its true), but I see now some improvement in there.

I understand its new, so it has a lot of things to be fixed, like Kugayama posted above alredy. I wont list everything, but I think when ppl start calling it “sucky sucky chat”, “crap new chat”, and things like that, I think its not just a matter of it being new, but a matter of something being really wrong with it. Probably its bk the old commands aren’t working anymore, and ppl miss the /me and /join a lot. I would like to ask to those two commands have priority in being fixed. Its not working for mobile too, well the old one was horrible for mobile alredy so I don’t miss it much, but it would be nice if it worked. Also it doesnt shows the user ping anymore, and neither the number of unread msgs in the browser tab, like in the old one, which was useful.

So, yeah, it sux for now, but I think when Sudrien fix the bugs it will be better than the old php one. I just hope they will be actually fixed!

Last edited by a moderator:
The aesthetic is horrible. Old chat may have been buggy, but there was a great "open" feel. You were automatically welcomed because everything was, well, big and friendly. The way the chat is now, it's small, pinched, divided. In addition, the lack of commands is huge. Also, in old chat, a little counter appeared on tabs, letting me know if people were talking while I was on another tab. Not so much on this one.

^ aethetic is only matter of time untill you get used to it, just like every new thing. :)

@Sudrien: PLease also try to increase the time after which one is disconnected while watching other tabs because now its too short.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back