Madoka Magica movies

^ It should be "BB" (bebe) aka Charlotte (the witch for which is "wo ist die kase?" theme music) - its sort of a pet in this movie :XD:

Note to those watching the camrip: The translation is laughably bad.

Sites are reporting that the movie BD/DVD release will be on the 2nd of April.
OST is included. The releases will come with English subs.
I am still not certain about the source but it is worth noting that a DVD/BD rental site had previously listed the exact same date for it.

劇場版 魔法少女まどか☆マギカ [新編]叛逆の物語【完全生産限定版】 [Blu-ray]
税抜価格:9,500円
発売日:2014/04/02
ディスク枚数:3枚組(本編BD+特典BD+CD)

劇場版 魔法少女まどか☆マギカ [新編]叛逆の物語【通常版】[Blu-ray]
税抜価格:5,500円
ディスク枚数:1枚組(本編BD)

劇場版 魔法少女まどか☆マギカ [新編]叛逆の物語【通常版】[DVD]
税抜価格:4,500円
ディスク枚数:1枚組(本編DVD)

<完全生産限定版パッケージ>
●三方背BOX
●描き下ろしデジパック仕様
●特製ブックレット

<本編BD/DVD>
●映像特典
●オーディオコメンタリー
●日本語字幕、英語字幕

<特典BD>
●劇場版公開記念 2時間でわかる!大ヒットアニメ『魔法少女まどか☆マギカ』

<CD>
●オリジナルサウンドトラック

As for the abuse of the main theme in the movie, Kajiura and the sound director has given reasons as to why they reused that theme so much in an interview in the LisAni magazine from months back.

Hope it's true.

As for the abuse of the main theme in the movie, Kajiura and the sound director has given reasons as to why they reused that theme so much in an interview in the LisAni magazine from months back.

Oooh, why did they do it?

^ I only watched it twice so it doesnt matter if its bad or not :XD:

thanks for that info. Any chance of finding that interview ?
oh its good that its going to have english subtitles from the beginning.

Re:

Hatouchan said:
Note to those watching the camrip: The translation is laughably bad.

OST is included. The releases will come with English subs.
I heard that there were multiple fan-translations, some of which actually weren't too mind-bogglingly awful? Though I also heard that one of them translated majuu as "bad influence", so... there's that. Then again I also heard that the official subs translated that same term as "wraiths" on one occasion and "demons" on another. Now, I don't think either of those are too bad translations (though my preference leans heavily towards "wraiths" myself) but srsly, can we get some consistency?

Other than that, that's sooner than I had expected. Not that I'm sure I'll even buy this movie being that my opinion is constantly fluctuating between "The ending was the epitome of stupid so this movie sucks and I would never want it in my collection" and "The ending was the epitome of stupid BUT the rest of the movie was actually quite interesting, albeit a bit slow and fan-wanky at points and as such maybe I should buy it after all". Looking forward to the soundtrack, though.

Some questions just to make sure that google translated well.
http://www.madoka-magica.com/blu-ray_dvd/

The OST omes only with the LE BD box ?
What is that extra BD with the strange title contain ? (『劇場版公開記念 2時間でわかる! 大ヒットアニメ「魔法少女まどか☆マギカ」』)
The features of the first list are only for the LE BD box ?
the features of the second list are for all 3 releases?

『劇場版公開記念 2時間でわかる! 大ヒットアニメ「魔法少女まどか☆マギカ」』
This is the program, which was a 2 hour recap, I think.

* Bonus BD disc containing the 2-hour TV special narrated by Saito Chiwa (Homura), which did a recap of the first two films as well as a look back on the series and it’s popularity.

Re: Re:

Lord Starfish said:
Then again I also heard that the official subs translated that same term as "wraiths" on one occasion and "demons" on another. Now, I don't think either of those are too bad translations (though my preference leans heavily towards "wraiths" myself) but srsly, can we get some consistency?
As I can remember, in the movie shown in Canada, they translated "majoo" (Those ghostly things that the magical girls fight with in God Madoka's world) as "wraith", and they translated "akuma" (referring to Homura after she took the god power from Madoka) as "demon". BTW, I remember that the engsub of TV series that I watched also translates "majoo" as "demon". I guess that the official may have been translated "majoo" as "demon" until the term "akuma" appeared in this movie. So they changed the translation of "majoo" to "wraith" and kept the word "demon" for "akuma", but there's still some confusion...:confu:.

Re: Re:

Kagaribi no Hanabira said:
Lord Starfish said:
Then again I also heard that the official subs translated that same term as "wraiths" on one occasion and "demons" on another. Now, I don't think either of those are too bad translations (though my preference leans heavily towards "wraiths" myself) but srsly, can we get some consistency?
As I can remember, in the movie shown in Canada, they translated "majoo" (Those ghostly things that the magical girls fight with in God Madoka's world) as "wraith", and they translated "akuma" (referring to Homura after she took the god power from Madoka) as "demon". BTW, I remember that the engsub of TV series that I watched also translates "majoo" as "demon". I guess that the official may have been translated "majoo" as "demon" until the term "akuma" appeared in this movie. So they changed the translation of "majoo" to "wraith" and kept the word "demon" for "akuma", but there's still some confusion...:confu:.
What I heard (mind you, I saw this movie in Japanese theaters and so naturally I had no subs at all) was that
when Homura first mentions that they're in a witch-barrier to Mami, and Mami responds "Witches? Our enemies are not witches, but wraiths, remember?", it is translated as wraiths... Then later near at the end Homura makes a remark to Sayaka about how "Once all the wraiths have been destroyed, I might humor you and be your enemy," or something... except there the translation calls them "demons" instead. Note that it's the same word both times in Japanese. And yeah, I heard how they translated "akuma" as "demon" as well... Kinda lame, when given the context, "Devil" is clearly what she meant.
Oh and for the record, the official English subs for the TV-series (and the first two movies by extension, as they reused the same translation) translated "majuu" as "wraiths" too.
:nophoto:

official nominations for the oscars were announced, and madoka: rebellion did not make it as expected OTL :punched: it's a pity, but hey, the honor for even getting a nomination for the nomination (that sounds really meta) is pretty high

too bad miyazaki's new film will lose out to frozen lol

Such a bummer no Oscar love for Madoka :uh..: okay fine it was unlikely but we could all dream right?

No idea why they tried to push Rebellion. The first movie would've at least made sense to someone unfamiliar with the franchise.

Granted, it's near impossible anyway. The aesthetic is just too "cutesy" and Japanese. Despite Madoka's excellent storytelling, I think it's better enjoyed if you are familiar with magical girl conventions and how Madoka deconstructs them. To be fair, lots of people disagree with me and see its worth simply as a classic tragedy.

No idea why they tried to push Rebellion. The first movie would've at least made sense to someone unfamiliar with the franchise.

Granted, it's near impossible anyway. The aesthetic is just too "cutesy" and Japanese. Despite Madoka's excellent storytelling, I think it's better enjoyed if you are familiar with magical girl conventions and how Madoka deconstructs them. To be fair, lots of people disagree with me and see its worth simply as a classic tragedy.
It being a sequel that doesn't really do too good a job of bringing new viewers up to speed about what's going on is one problem, yes... But honestly, I don't think any of the Madoka-movies are really Oscar-material. And this is coming from someone who considers the TV-series to be the best anime he's ever seen. As for why...

Movies 1 and 2 are clearly two halves of one whole, neither delivers a complete story in their own right. Heck, the first movie cuts off right before the climax of Sayaka's story, and then the second movie starts off with basically being 25 minutes of resolving that, followed by Sayaka being completely irrelevant for the remaining hour as the focus shifts to Homura. Now, this transition in focus isn't really a problem when one takes the story as a 12-episode TV-series divided into three separate story-arcs, but when taken as a movie, split up the way they did, the pacing just becomes awkward. Together, they're brilliant, though still a bit disjointed at times due to how again, the story was meant to be taken as 12 20-minute episodes and the pacing still reflects this even in the movie, but each taken as its own stand-alone movie? No, the way it's set up just doesn't work. I mean, it can be done, just look at the Lord of the Rings movies, but here, they couldn't quite pull it off.

By comparison, movie 3 is an original work so it naturally does not share the same problem of clearly being a series of 20-minute episodes strung together with an arbitrary cut-off point. It also has a complete story-arc of its own, so that's another plus. That said, it still doesn't work as a stand-alone piece because it so heavily relies on the audience already being familiar with this world and these characters. Oh sure, there are a few moments where they repeat some of the key info from the show, but this comes off more as a means of reminding people who didn't rewatch the show recently, rather than an attempt at bringing complete newcomers up to speed with what's going on. Also, while it fixes the disjointed feel of the first two movies, the pacing still has some rather obvious issues; For one thing, the movie drags on. A lot. Now, I won't claim that Shinbo never indulged his love of trippy imagery in the show, but I feel like it was a lot more restrained there, and kept mainly to points where it actually made sense to have. This movie though? I suppose one could say in a way it's foreshadowing for the reveal about what's going on, but there is way too much trippiness on the screen here, to the point where it at several points ends up slowing down the action and just feeling plain random. Also, fanservice. This movie is overflowing with it. And for the record, I do not refer to that commonly accepted definition of fanservice, aka pointless sexually suggestive imagery, the movie is thankfully more-or-less free of that. No, what I mean is, there are several things in this movie that really did not need to be there, which seem to only exist in order to throw the fans a bone. The most obvious example of this would be Nagisa. Now props to them for still giving her some relevance to the story, but her character still strikes me as one that could very easily be written out entirely, and the story could still function with only minor rewrites. I mean, we would lose an awesome fight-scene, but that fight-scene was in itself pretty pointless. I still think she's only there in the first place because someone was like "Hey, Charlotte the Witch is really popular. How about we promote her to main character status in this movie?" And then there's all the Shipping Fuel. Now yes, the show certainly had plenty of yuri undertones as well, (I must admit I find the "Thank you Homura. You truly were my very best friend,"-bit slightly funny because of how overtly romantic the scene comes across) but in this movie it's just way too in-your-face. Sayaka all but states that she's in love with Kyouko, Homura does flat-out state that she's in love with Madoka... and a lot of people have theorized that one of the reasons Nagisa is there is so that she can be paired off with Mami.
Oh, and now I guess we're getting into more subjective territory, but I still say the ending was a massive deus ex machina that doesn't make sense in context of the show. Now I've seen plenty of explanations for fans as to how it happened, but for one thing, I don't think I've seen a single such explanation that I haven't eventually managed to Fridge Logic up a counterargument for (I've actually been thinking of writing some sort of blog-entry somewhere just detailing exactly how the reasonings I've heard doesn't work), and also... the explanation the movie itself provides certainly wasn't foreshadowed in the slightest. No, the movie does a good job of setting up the "why" in regards to what ends up happening, but the "how" seems to have been a complete afterthought, that only gets a one-line explanation after the fact... and that one-line explanation seems so random that I almost have to wonder if Urobuchi forgot the rules he'd established in his own story. This is also why I simply cannot bring myself to like this movie, even if I do aknowledge that in spite of all the flaws with the pacing and the overt fanservice I mentioned earlier, I actually do think that the majority of it is quite good... but when it comes down to it, the ending is probably the single most important aspect of any story, and to me, this movie just completely falls apart in its last 20 minutes.

...Or for the tl;dr version: Movies 1 and 2 have a slightly disjointed pace, movie 3 is slow-paced, filled with way too much pointless trippy imagery and has several elements that seem to have been put in there just for fanservice, and I continue to bear a deep-rooted hatred of the ending which I consider to be a complete trainwreck. And that is why none of the Madoka movies ever really stood a chance at winning an Oscar in the first place.

Back