Madoka Magica movies

special pamphlet/booklet thingy about the various witches in the series given out to japanese movie goers who are going to see the madoka movie december 14th or later

1386755684_1_1_295a3533cb56fb29b5bfed41ec5fee84.jpg

waaaaah, once again, i am super jealous. this is... free for them, isn't it?! :blood: :comeback:

So... Last Monday, I had a chance to "sneak out" from work and was able to attend the showing of Rebellion. I was a bit surprised considering where I was at the moment but that's not relevant to the discussion! ;)

I will have to admit that I did read some of the spoilers before heading to the movie theatre. I am uncertain if I am at a point where story might not be as important as execution, so, unless it is an extreme swing in the story (Star Wars V, anybody?), for the most part I am OK. So, I arrived at the movie theatre and, as I walked in, I got one of these.

3v3sCjQ.jpg

After arriving home, I opened it and it contained this:

6ym0rMz.jpg

Did anybody else received them?

But, to the movie itself... For the most part, I didn't feel the animation was big budget. Granted, there were some nice looking backgrounds (the nights, et al) but, at the same time, given one of the unique parts of Madoka Magica in terms of animation is the surreal type look, there were times animation didn't matter THAT much. However, we are not here for the animation but for the story. Once again, others have written about it so this will be my stab at it.

Based on Kyubei's explanation of the "shield", it means external influences can interact with Homura; however, what's "inside" can't leave. So, it feels as if Sayaka and Nagisa were such external influences who were able to "sneak" in. I guess that's why Sayaka saved Homura from Mami during their fight, rather than be on the sidelines: In a way, Sayaka "knew" she had to do something. Of course, eventually, that made Homura realize the "reality" or what was going on, specially after her interaction with Kyoko (i.e., attempting to leave the city).

And, to those who already watched the movie, knows what happens afterwars: since Madoka's "Law" does not seem to apply inside the shield (how that can be true, I don't know), Homura turns into a witch. In an interesting way, Sayaka confronts Homura in her with form (sort of makes sense as she died as a witch and Madoka took Sayaka with her) along with the others that lead to Homura breaking out from Kyubei's shield. And that's where Madoka comes in to meet with Homura once again.

Now, the question that others have pondered: why/how Homura can just "take" Madoka's divinity so easily? Here is my wild speculation: technically, Homura created Goddess Madoka. After all, as mentioned in the TV series, the reason why Madoka is so powerful is because of all the timelines Homura has interacted with. Since Homura's wish was based on Madoka, as Madoka's power increases, so should Homura's. Now, technically, Homura does not take Madoka's powers - after all, if she did, the Law of the Cycle will not exist anymore and Homura would turn into a witch. Instead, as implied, Homura twisted the law into a different version and "sealed" Goddess Madoka inside "normal" Madoka. At the same time, given her powers, she turn herself into a new entity (called a devil here) to oppose Madoka. Of course, while they use the work "akuma" to describe what Homura turned herself into, I do not believe that is fitting. On one side, it is Madoka's selflessness and wish to help others; on the other side, is Homura's selfishness (not sure if the correct word here), as she does not want Madoka to sacrifice herself for such cause (as she won't be there anymore). To draw a philosophical analogy: it is similar to light and shadow - you can't have shadows without light. Come to think about it, if anybody has read Aa! Megamisama!, it would be similar to the duet system.

From a personal perspective, and this might be going more on the analytical side is how things happened to begin with. In the end of the TV series, Homura explained the witch system to Kyubei and this possibly lead to the events of this movie: Kyubei wanted to know how this "system" works. However, Homura already knows how tricky the incubators can be, so how she allowed herself to be trapped to begin with? Did she so easily let her guard down?

I feel that a lot of people might not have liked the movie as much as it didn't finish on a high note; rather, it felt it went downhill. But, I will look at it from some Japanese video games: there are bad endings, good endings but one "true" ending. The TV series might have been one of the good endings but, from the producer's perspective, this might be the true ending. And, of course, make another movie for more $$$? :)

^ speaking of "true ending" its the last line of the prelast stanza of the Kalafina song, so maybe it indeed is http://canta-per-me.net/lyrics/kimi-no-gin-no-niwa/ :XD:

but I also expect a new movie, and if not movie a new TV anime, because there are hints that there will be one

- all characters in Homura's new universe remember what happened (and seem to want to revenge)
- Kyuubey resurected at the end
- We dont know if Homura died after the jump.

Re:

KimH said:

6ym0rMz.jpg

I did. The first time I saw it, anyway. The second time I instead got a film strip (Warning: Gigantic image).
The Ume-art I got for said first viewing was of Madokami though. Funny, whenever I try to get some piece of Madoka Magica merchandise where it's random what you end up getting, it seems I always get Madoka... Saw a dispenser which contained Soul Gem replicas; Got Madoka's. Got a random piece of artwork by Aoki Ume for seeing the movie; Madokami. Bought the special popcorn menu which came with a medallion of a Madoka Magica character; Well it sure wasn't Sayaka I got, I can tell ya that much. (And I so wanted to get the Sayaka/Kyouko-image when I went to see the movie...)

Re:

KimH said:

6ym0rMz.jpg

At first I got Sayaka and Kyoko, but I traded with someone to get Homura before the movie started, haha. So many people were trading. I actually would've traded Homura to get Mami, but someone else beat me to that person.

Went to the theatre. Saw the movie. No huge comments on the OST since it's great as usual, but not a masterpiece by Yuki's standards. Then again, blasted loud theatre speakers could've distorted it.

As for the movie itself... Well, I don't know if it was entirely necessary. I think the TV series ending was perfect as is, and there's no way I can silence the voice yelling, "Cash grab!"

At the same time, evaluating the movie on its own merits, it's quite extraordinary and ambitious. It's a joy to watch on the big screen: tense, wonderfully animated, filled with all sorts of interesting visuals and general auteur weirdness that I can't help but enjoy. Story-wise, I wish the build-up to the final reveal could've been smoother, but I don't object to the concept itself.

I consider Rebellion more of a spinoff than a "true ending." That was a TV series. This is a "what if" story--and a darn good one, make no mistake. But it's not a needed addition, either.

Re:

Coral said:
I consider Rebellion more of a spinoff than a "true ending." That was a TV series. This is a "what if" story--and a darn good one, make no mistake. But it's not a needed addition, either.
Yeah, considering this the "true ending" seems a bit wrong when I'm pretty sure the producers have gone on record as saying that this sequel was not originally in the plans. They only decided to make it after the TV-series turned out to be a license to print money. And why would this have been in the original plans? The show's ending was perfectly conclusive and thematically fitting, and I stand by my opinion that what we got in the show was the best ending this story could possibly have gotten.

My juicy report for today movie :p. (must be the really last one in Canada coz I'm in the slowest timezone lol.) from Silver City, Metrotown, Burnaby, BC, Canada. Because the seats are first-come-first-serve, many people got in so early (about 40min for me... almost half of the seats were occupied already when I got in.), so I heard many conversation from the audiences sitting around. I think one girl said that she doesn't know about the anime and she just knows only the ending theme because she heard her friend covering the song (Well...I don't know which one, but if it's the ending theme, it's definitely by Kalafina..:P)

There are many audiences dressed up as the magical girls. Some of them even went shopping in the shopping mall after the movie with that costumes..lol. At first I thought I saw one Mami but when HE stood up, it turned out that he is a boy dressed up as male-version of Mami, which is really nice though. But I think the most outstanding one is a girl who customized her hoodie to be Charlotte lol. It looks like she's eaten by Charlotte for the whole time and her hoodie looks really nice. Many people around me also talked about her costume.

First of all, the movie started with a CM about PMMM theme on smartphone or sth. Then some talks with the voice actresses. I remember that Sayaka's seiyuu called Kyouko as Sayaka's partner lol. Then Kyouko's seiyuu said that it's the first time that Kyouko is in a school uniform. Kyubey's Seiyuu said that Kyubey would move around cutely just like in the series and the crowd bursted into laugh lol.

Asuka's new track sounds so different and I think it's nice. (TBH, every single track sounds so different when I heard it in the theatre, but Luminous doesn't change that much, compared to Yuki's works.) There are so many nightmare-like songs in the movie (like 'wo ist die kase' lol). I also enjoy those collage nightmare-like scenes in the movie, just like those witch barriers from the TV series.

That arguable transformation scenes... I think it's a kind of collage arts but the girls' ballet-like movements look so awkward esp. when they weren't in the silhouette forms anymore. Beside of that, it makes the girls look like a heroine team from a cliche magical girls anime or sth. like that. It's so funny that many audiences laughed out loudly. I like the theme for Sayaka and Homura, but they aren't that outstanding.

The gun fight scene wasn't as epic as I expected. The guitar solo in the ost also sounds out of place.

Now...spoiler time

I feel that it's so weird that when Homura tried to figure out about sth. wrong in this fake city, she didn't think about the existence of Madoka at all =____=". Her three contradictions are Mami who remembers the fight with the wraith, Bebe (The present form of Charlotte. Her human form is called Nagisa and Bebe is the name of her doll-like form.) who was a witch and Sayaka who can remember the witches.

It took some time for her to realize that Madoka is the MOST odd existence here and she is the only one who can remember Madoka and create her in the witch barrier. So the witch must be Homura herself. (Homura thought that she 'made up' this Madoka in her witch barrier at the first place, but in fact, Kyubey told that it's real Madoka goddess who lost the consciousness when she came into Homura's barrier.)

I think that the Sagitta Luminus theme doesn't fit the scene that Homura talked with Madoka in the flower field. It's too hopeful while the scene is more hopeless. The same goes to the use of Misterioso. The fight may be not as desperate as the fight with Walpurgis but I think Misterioso is too 'light' for this scene.

I did cry when Sayaka told Kyouko about the reason that she's back to this world, standing back to back. And my tear has gone so fast when the mood destroyer Nagisa came in with 'I wanna eat cheese again!!' lol. Sayaka (or may be Kyouko) also shouted at her like 'don't ruin the mood!!' or sth. like that..lol.

I don't know whether it's my own understanding or just no one hasn't mentioned it before. As I understand, Homura was trapped by Kyubey (same question here...how can Homura let herself fall in Kyubey trap so easy???) and Madoka, Sayaka and Nagisa broke into the barrier to help her. BTW, Madoka lost her own consciousness when she came into Homura world, while Sayaka and Nagisa were still fine, but they didn't show any signs that they knew what's going on until Homura realized it.

Due to Kyubey's shield, Homura was just 'almost' became a witch but she hadn't been a witch yet. Homura realized that Kyubey wanted her to break the barrier and meet Madoka again to let Madoka purify her soulgem before she 'fully' become a witch. So that Kyubey would get a chance to 'learn' about the god Madoka, and finally control Madoka to get the witch system back.

To stop Kyubey malicious goal, Homura increased her despair to become a witch so that Mami and Kyouko would destroy her in this barrier. If it happened as her plan, she'd fully become a witch in the closed barrier and the goddess Madoka couldn't come to help her. That means Kyubey would never meet the goddess form of Madoka and couldn't try to control her as well.

However, the other girls, leaded by Sayaka and Nagisa as the saviours sent from Madoka goddess, managed to break Kyubey barrier to let Madoka turn back to the goddess form and purify Homura's soulgem. However, Homura decided to defied the goddess and turned into the demon as we knew from the previous spoilures.

I like the vocal track when Homura ripped apart Madoka's goddess power. I think that she's totally insane with her love for Madoka. However, the scene that she held Kyubey in her hand and said that she needed incubators to work for her with the evil voice and smile is like...hahaha..... I love it!!!

It's quite a new experience for me that the crowd applauded when the movie ended. Dunno whether it's Canadian tradition or it's a special case for small-target-group movie like this.

I'm satisfied with the OSTs. The theme from Asuka's track and 'for the next episode' from the previous OST are enjoyable. I think both of them are the main themes in this movie. The use of the songs are also not as annoying as the TV series. They may not have sth. as awesome as Odd World 3 or Witch World 2, but it's quite good in average. (I still prefer the songs from the first two movies.) I think I'll get the DVD when it's released.

^I really want to see this now. heh But yeah, only certain movies get applause. They do it at my theater, but only like for Batman Dark Knight and movies like that. So it would be understandable for Madoka getting it, since it is very popular.

^Audience applauded at the end of the showing I went to as well. I can't speak to whether it's a "Canadian thing" or if it's just Madoka, because I so rarely go to movies. The crowd seemed to be almost 100% anime fans/pre-existing Madoka fans though, so it's not surprising they applauded.

Okay, I know I'm a little late but listening now to the ost, does anyone have the official one? Or has it not been released yet. Just that #24 is just so awesome! (Also with all the Conan that I watch now I can kind of understand some of the talking heh)

^ Which OST ? of the Rebellion movie ? like it happened with the other 2 movies its going to come out as bonus disc of the LE of the BD/DVD box around summer 2014 (Im surprised you thought it was already out lol)

^ but Rishi.shukla shared the BGMs ripped from the Rebellion movie

^Yeah, the 3rd movie ost. And I was hoping for the non recorded ones, but that's okay. I can be patient. It's already January, only a couple more months. (Hopefully I will find some money then) Come on Feb and March!

Didn't you say that the Modoka movie ost 3 is coming out in March? So only a couple more months. I am also talking about RHH 3. (And yeah, I wanted the good versions, but these will do for me until it comes out, thanks Rishi!)

*reread your earlier post* Oh, summer. Gah... sorry, my brain isn't working very well lately. *bows head* Gomen.

^I know, that's why I said Oops.

But really I am enjoying the soundtrack so far. What is that thing that keeps making the strange noises? Is it a monster of some sort? It sounds cute, but gets annoying sometimes. (I don't mind spoilers heh)

Back