Let's Do It

User wintersviolet

Please calm down.

Or I might have to employ mechanisms that will either calm you down or actually make you not want to come back to the forum again.

--

There seem to be a great number of complaints based on the linked forum's style.

Part of why I picked bbPress is that styling CAN be changed. Indeed, being actually under development, it is much more likely to be able to influence HOW it develops.

Of course, I shouldn't expect people with no technical expertise whatsoever to understand this. People who are incapable of typing a simple name into a search engine before asking a question.

--

[further content redacted due to not being paricularly helpful]

I've been to many forums, where there was a mod's duty to watch over the forum and delete messages that violate the forum rules, spam included. And I can't say that were crappy forums where admins pay no attention to them. So I don't see no reason why the mods here can't do the same. We learned that there's not THIS much spam here, so we can cope with it without moving to am awful looking and inconvenient board.

The chat is a different thing. It's unprotected.

@ winter: I understand your anger about the chat, I just said that tthis thread is about the forum change and that you should had stated your chat complaint at the "How to fight spam" thread. However I personally can do nothing about it since I dont have the knowledge to know a good client.

I might talked a bit rude previously but I was finiding the fact that from the one side you decided you no more like FJ and Kalafina while not listeinng to Yuki;s OST and from the other side wanting to change the forum, two contracting things and I just wanted to ask that, but it seems I got my answer now.

I too would support a forum that would block spam before it arrives but providing that it wouldnt look so weird like bbpress does.

It might be preferable to some to make the forum look busy by having a big members list, but IMO I'd rather have a shorter and cleaner list with real members.

I take pleasure in seeing a big number, too, but I have to agree here. There are many dead accounts, a number of which have no posts at all. Someone just signs up and then loses interest/time/means to attend. Some come back in a while, but I suspect a lot of comebacks might be ending up with double accounts, after plain forgetting both the old password and login name. :desksweat: :XD: Not that this matter creates ANY trouble for me personally, though - just thinking aloud on the subject. :ayashii:

Cannot sticky/unsticky posts.

Somehow I've missed the forum's ability to do so in the first place. :fwa:

We have an awful chat and I refuse to sit around anymore because I've been asking for a new one for months.
We have had CYBER BULLYING on that chat, which I witnessed firsthand. I had to read all the insults being slung at the person, while desperately trying to ban the bully and some heartless spectators who hung around for a laugh- only to find out that I couldn't. I was almost crying in frustration and anger at the end of the evening.
How is this okay? How can anyone be content with the chat after seeing this? Maybe you don't care about our chat being improved ASAP, but I do. I think our members should have at least better protection. Kera was there; if she needed any motivation to find a new chat, it should have been then and not when winter started being more vocal with her complaints. Who says an incident like that can't happen again? With our current chat's vulnerabilities, it's so easy.

I may be deaf to the problem since I hardly ever visit the chat at all... But honestly, when it first appeared, I had an impression that it was CPM-exclusive. I SO don't want to seem unfriendly here, but if the problem Winter describes is crucial, then is there a possibility of limiting the chat to the forum's community? Trolls are an omnipresent species, and with the open access the chat boasts now, you'd never surprise me by stating that it's sometimes full of "anons" who couldn't care less about Yuki Kajiura, related topics or the fandom. That's the problem with open chats, alas. Meanwhile, actually registering at the forum is something many trolls/bullies are too lazy to do, so I can't recall us EVER having a lot of those here (even before the Mod Team was created). And for passerbies who want to say something relevant without registering at the forum, there's the site with the comment system and the shoutbox (both of which have better means of tracking down the dialogue than the chat has).
I don't mean to hurt those who came to the forum by engaging in the chat first, but if the problem does stand, this is the easiest solution I imagine. If the chat engine doesn't support permanent registration or synchronizing with the forum account, we could go around by stuffing the link somewhere and/or making it visible for registered users (with or without certain post count, optionally?). Although synchronizing (or somehow being only able to use one's registered nickname, if possible) would be useful anyway - that would make moderation easier and potential trolls/bullies/simply VERY hot-tempered people more conscious of their behaviour. :plot:

I too would support a forum that would block spam before it arrives but providing that it wouldn't look so weird like bbpress does.

Can't say anything about the other forum's design... It really leaves me emotionless. Nothing too good or bad about it. Sorry for not having an opinion here. :waa:

hm, what was it George has said some posts above about the length of my posts? :desksweat: :XD: :XD:

@ winter and Nick

I just noticed this
Quote:
It might be preferable to some to make the forum look busy by having a big members list, but IMO I'd rather have a shorter and cleaner list with real members.

But are you kidding me??!! Deleting all these 0 1 and 2 posts posters is one of the thing I want most to do! (Since the REAL number of users is not more than 200).

I was asking for it 2 years now and people kept saying that they do no harm.

people kept saying that they do no harm.

Because it's the truth. Other than pumping up the numbers and giving false impressions, there's nothing troublesome to them. Placed on the scales with spambots and trolls, ghosts are harmless beings. :XD:
If we really want to have the real user number based on activity, then we may work on that. Otherwise, I'm not sure if half of the active 200 users even look at the "total number of users" count more than once a month, let alone feel bothered.

Re:

Sudrien said:
Part of why I picked bbPress is that styling CAN be changed. Indeed, being actually under development, it is much more likely to be able to influence HOW it develops.

That's good to hear. I know it's not an important issue, but if the design can be made more appealing/easier to navigate and understand, I think it'll be better for all concerned.

Also, I'm curious about something. This forum is on a Stargate fansite very similar to CPM, run by volunteers. I was active on it for quite a while, and I never encountered one instance of spam or anything similar to it. (Actually, I've just noticed a "Spam-O-Matic Statistics" section at the bottom of the page, which seems to imply that there are automatic measures being taken to prevent spam altogether.) Would there be any chance of moving to the host of that forum, instead of bbPress? At the very least, it seems to have a design closer to this forum, which would make the transition closer to being seamless.

spam-o-matic, like bbpress's akismet, are automatic anti-spambot things that will work, but our own "signup question" already blocks out those bots. After talking with Sud, based on post content, it is very likely that the spammers that still get through are humans, and really no software can fight that, only real humans can!

In terms of anti-troll, there isn't really any software that can prevent them from signing up either. Maybe better tracking (phpbb "plugin") but humans always outsmart computers. Regardless of what forum program we use, we will still have to do manual moderation.

And since we're on the topic of chat, like George mentioned earlier, we tried a bunch of different clients and the only one that is better also used too much resources for the server to handle. However that was a previous host and maybe the new host is a bit better with that. We might try it again but I will email them first. As always ,even with functioning IP ban, there can't be much done against visitors on proxys.

Since many visitors first visit the chat before joining the forum, I don't think it's a good idea to force the chat to be forum-only just because of a couple trolls. Functions exist for private rooms and ignoring, in the isolated cases where trolling is a problem, and kicking/banning is ineffective.

Re: Re:

ninetales said:
Also, I'm curious about something. This forum is on a Stargate fansite very similar to CPM, run by volunteers. I was active on it for quite a while, and I never encountered one instance of spam or anything similar to it. (Actually, I've just noticed a "Spam-O-Matic Statistics" section at the bottom of the page, which seems to imply that there are automatic measures being taken to prevent spam altogether.) Would there be any chance of moving to the host of that forum, instead of bbPress? At the very least, it seems to have a design closer to this forum, which would make the transition closer to being seamless.

The forum runs on vBulletin. Their current 1-install license is $195 USD. At least it's no longer a yearly charge.

Re:

george1234 said:
@ winter and Nick

I just noticed this
Quote:

But are you kidding me??!! Deleting all these 0 1 and 2 posts posters is one of the thing I want most to do! (Since the REAL number of users is not more than 200).

I was asking for it 2 years now and people kept saying that they do no harm.

And you think I've never asked?

Re: Re:

Sudrien said:
The forum runs on vBulletin. Their current 1-install license is $195 USD. At least it's no longer a yearly charge.

Oh, dear. I see why they have ads now :uh..:

Yuki88, george1234...

You do realize that non-members can't see the memberlist, right?

While they can see what is posted?

Would it be more honest to not have the "Total Members XXX" in the footer?

Not to mention that the "0, 1, or 2 posters" request is horrible database policy

- often people make accounts many months before they start using
- some of them belong to people active on the main site and only want to keep a name in the forum for later
- some sign up to be on the mass mailing list
- if you're trying to keep a list of only active members, then that would mean all the 1-posters (are they that much more active than 0 posters?), 2-posters, and people who used to be active and stopped posting...all deserve to be deleted?
- it does no harm.. if it's ugly to you just don't look at it :uh..:

just think of the member list as a collection of people who are interested in yuki (like a fanlisting) rather than a club for people who make 1 or more posts!

yeah XD I've been meaning to do a quarterly kind of newsletter for mass forum and facebook messaging, to keep people updated who don't check often themselves

Re:

Sudrien said:
Not to mention that the "0, 1, or 2 posters" request is horrible database policy

Why?

Kerahna said:
and people who used to be active and stopped posting...all deserve to be deleted?

I wasn't referring to those because these might be still check even thought the are no more posts

However if someone has registered and has post only 0 or 2 postsfor more thatn 2 years I dont think there are this much of interested in Yuki (and if you check their posts most wont be) especially if they are from the 0 posters of the first or the second page (which is from 6 years ago).

Also since people can see posts without registering, what's the point to register if they dont plan to post more than 0 or 2 posts ? (Bocko's an exception here since he's at least at the chatroom).

Also dont forget the cases that were spambots and just got banned, without they account getting deleted.

Maybe due to the lack of appropriate filters? As in, "have fun sieving through 600+ accounts manually, if you will" :ohoho:

However if someone has registered and has post only 0 or 2 postsfor more thatn 2 years I dont think there are this much of interested in Yuki

Erm... being still interested in a musician and being still interested in a fansite/forum do not always go together, I'm sorry to say.
For instance, my friend once registered here ("101th member" :XD: ), but I don't think he even got over 5-10 posts before leaving, due to him being too "lazy" (in his own words) to read and reply at any forums frequently. He's still interested in Yuki's music, but relies on me to deliver all the latest news. :ohoho:
So aside from occasional troll accounts that were left in the database (because their owners disappeared before managing to get themselves a ban), the total member count may indeed serve as a fanlisting of sorts, like Kerahna said. :ayashii:

you can't assume they're not interested just because they haven't posted. There might be many more like Bocko who keep an account but only read, which I know there are because I've seen some of these users on the front page

and no we're not going to match every name with main site posters =_= just treat the member list as a fanlisting and don't let it offend you so much :XD:

Yeah I remember old time when I was almost a Zero poster but I got interested in the general section after a while

Also everybody is different, I have been here for a while but newer people has way more post than me

If it weren0't for certain game I would have even less.

I like the fanlisting idea

If it weren0't for certain game I would have even less.

same here, if it weren't for a bunch of topics in general section. :psst: Although it was never a consealed fact that they were created for this very purpose. :XD:

Back