Let's Do It

The current forum will be kept, in read-only mode, for the foreseeable future. If you restart the thread in the new forum, that is your choice.

is this mean we must make new thread in the new forum if we want to continue discussion on existing topic in the current forum ?

and the existing posts in the current forum cant be copied to the new forum ?

:confu:

tsubasa said:
well...it looks ugly then....looks messy... unless that is not the default configuration for it :uh..:
Well I'll say the truth. The forum Sud showed us, looks awful and inconvenient :blood: Can't we have it look like an "ordinary" forum? Like what we have now?

Also, gravatars are awful too, but it seems we will be able to use our own images.

The main text placed to the right is rather uncomfortable to read and it leaves too much useless free room on the left.

Yes, I love our cute little forum so much, that moving to such a messy place is really a pain which makes me unwilling to register there. But well, I'm not such an important member after all.

yeah it doesn't look too nice in that sample

I think the people campaining for change are looking for an easier way to keep trolls banned and to prevent spammers from signing up. Does this one do both or only the anti-spam part?

If not, we could find some moderators who don't mind having to delete spam posts and ban users repeatedly, which is what every other forum does, rather than relying on software

Re:

Kerahna said:
If not, we could find some moderators who don't mind having to delete spam posts and ban users repeatedly, which is what every other forum does, rather than relying on software
I vote for this thing

any volunteers? :XD:
I think I can change the permissions for the moderator group
[edit] looks like mod group already has every permission available @_@ what features are you looking for?

dunno? :XD: I'm not really sure I can be very active as well as my dorm wi-fi sucks badly :TdT:

ahhh dorm wifi! i remember when I lived in dorms the wifi only reached the first 3 floors and I was on the 6th :uh..:
Thanks for letting us know, we'll find people to help lighten your load :XD: WORK HARD!!!!! omg i have exam tomorrow :cry:

Well, if I got it right, the main problem is spambots. How many of them are attacking out forum? If there're over 9000 of them and the mods can't cope with them, moving to the other place could be an option. If there're not so many bots, we could add more moderators.

Kera, good luck with your exam!

Kera, good luck with your exam!

+1000 :cheer:

If I'm observing correctly, spambots are not overwhelming, but seem to have increased in numbers recently. Then again, I'm not sure what number of spambots is to be considered tolerable in the first place. :XD:
Of course, one might say that we CPMers are expected to be more concerned about net safety issues in whole, what with the double .hack//CPM event and all. :hide: :plot:

Re:

Kerahna said:
looks like mod group already has every permission available @_@ what features are you looking for?

Cannot sticky/unsticky posts. Cannot delete accounts, in particular spam ones. It might be preferable to some to make the forum look busy by having a big members list, but IMO I'd rather have a shorter and cleaner list with real members.

Banning and tracking system very inefficient. Chat moderation system not good at all. To me, it isn't really a matter of whether there are tons of spam bots or trolls at the moment, or whether CPM has more mods sitting around. Rather, the issue that these flaws have been abused before and if it happens again, CPM should be ready to deal with them.

I haven't seen a lick of spam in certain forums. This is different from seeing spam for a short period of time before a mod gets around to deleting it, and means that the forum is taking more than delete/ban measures to prevent spammers.

But hey, what do I know? I'm just an annoying user who's whinging too much and making the admins do a lot of work, right?

there must be some way to fix those permissions :ayashii: if not then I'll set admin accounts.

Even with WP's akismet that bbpress uses, spam gets through (the main site which uses akismet gets a few spams leak through ever few days). Additionally there doesn't seem to be any evidence that it will be significantly more effective in keeping trolls out, but I'll look into the details more after exams. There are mods available for phpbb to improve tracking and we can fix the sign-up question.

IMO the role of a mod is to delete spam and ban users, and that's what they do in any other forum on the internet. As for other functions, I will give admin access if it's necessary since I haven't found a way to increase mod permissions yet XD

An admin account should do the job. :ayashii: Anyway, imo bbpress is not a good style of forum even though it gives more anti-spam measures. The posts are skuized to the right side which makes all quite long (and in the case of Nick's posts that would be a problem :XD:) also I dont like the style the thread names are presented.

I think it would be a better idea to keep with this forum and just employ 1-2 more mods or make an admin account for the mods to use when necessary. After all the spambots rate are not that big, since there's just some increase of them here and there, for example I havent seen any for a week now.

Re:

Kerahna said:

maybe that is the best solution after all

Re:

george1234 said:
I think it would be a better idea to keep with this forum and just employ 1-2 more mods or make an admin account for the mods to use when necessary. After all the spambots rate are not that big, since there's just some increase of them here and there, for example I havent seen any for a week now.

It would be wonderful to keep this forum :plz: I just looked at the cover page of that other forum, but it doesn't look well-designed or easily navigable at all. Unless drastic changes can be made, it'll be tough to get used to, to say the least!

I would volunteer to be a mod myself, but I'm not online often enough to do any good :spotlight:

*reposting something I deleted earlier, with more stuff*

We have had spam this week, just that it was taken care of before some people checked the forum. I've noticed in other forums they have no spam at all, which is different from spam posts that are up for a while before someone gets around to deleting them; those forums are taking more than just delete/ban measures, so finding a way around spammers that isn't merely manual IS possible.

Also, the issue here is not how many mods we have, but rather with the functions that are available. You can get more mods to deal with the spam- heck, why not hire the entire forum- and there will still be spam. it would be better to reduce the amount of spam instead of only caring for it after it is posted. To be proactive instead of reactive.

Plus, you can hire the entire forum as chat mods, and it won't stop the trolls from trolling, refreshing when they are kicked, and coming back. It won't stop trolls from mudslinging, immediately quitting, and returning later, either. These are not problems due to the lack of mods. These are problems with the chat's inner workings. If we could have AT LEAST an IP ban available (which is what other chats have), that would be great. A tracking log too.

Finally, there are already communication problems within the mods partly due to their numbers without further recruits. I'm not going to go into the even bigger communication issues between the mods and admins. With more mods on board, trying to keep everyone informed would be even harder than it is now. I agree that allowing mods to admin access is a good idea, but it's only one step towards a more efficient forum.

Fine, so this potential new forum is uglier and doesn't give us as much creative freedom. That's something I can live with, as long as there are improved features. However, if it's true that our current forum works as long as modifications are added, then they should be added ASAP and prove their effectiveness.

^ You may can live with the other forum but others-as you have seen by the previous posts of members- can't. Anyway the chat is a totally different issue from the forum so you shoudn't mix them. As Kera told me, Sud had in the past tried to install different clients thatn the otne we have, and the only one that was better caused problem to the server. Thus you should wait untill we find a suitable one, since Sud is busy with his job, while he does everything he does for cpm for free in his spare time.

About the forum, If there are 5 mods (the ones that are now with the option to use an admin account when necessary) that will delete 1-3 spambots every 3 days I dont think there would be a problem. And if you dont feel like deleting and banning you can always give your mod position to someone who doesnt have problem to do it ;)

Besides since you now lost interest in Kalafina and FJ and you were only listening to them but not the soundtracks of Yuki, what's the point on being so sensitive about spam if the sole reason for visiting cpm was to learn things about the 2 groups you lost interest for ?

I can live with the new forum's aesthetics, and you can't. Just opinions.

We have an awful chat and I refuse to sit around anymore because I've been asking for a new one for months.
We have had CYBER BULLYING on that chat, which I witnessed firsthand. I had to read all the insults being slung at the person, while desperately trying to ban the bully and some heartless spectators who hung around for a laugh- only to find out that I couldn't. I was almost crying in frustration and anger at the end of the evening.
How is this okay? How can anyone be content with the chat after seeing this? Maybe you don't care about our chat being improved ASAP, but I do. I think our members should have at least better protection. Kera was there; if she needed any motivation to find a new chat, it should have been then and not when winter started being more vocal with her complaints. Who says an incident like that can't happen again? With our current chat's vulnerabilities, it's so easy.

You may be content to use your mod rank to delete spam, but I'm not. If other forums have managed to deal away with spam completely then why shouldn't we aim for the same goal? Frankly I've thought about quitting many times, but this is not your business. You're being downright rude about my position. You don't have any idea about my reasons for joining and why I'm sticking around. Certainly not so I could delete spam, which you could easily do. Also it would be nice if you stopped with the winking smilies, because they're condescending and annoying.

^ wow, i dont know there was a serious bulying happened in our chat.

i thought so far our problem is the troll who intend to attack other member to make fights in our forum :uh..:

from my view, those advertisement spam is not really seriously bad problem and offensive compared to real troll who attack other member. Usually advertisement spam only get deleted with few clicks away by the mods, although u may perhaps can get annoyed if u do it repeatedly.

about the appearance of the new forum ( http://bbpress.org/forums/ )

i think this forum is uglier than our current forum :@_@:

1-4.jpg

2-4.jpg

Back