Kalafina new song "heavenly blue"

I guess the blog post puts reason as to why the HB PV was so bad- it was rushed ergo half-baked! It also explains how the announcement of this PV came out of nowhere, because I'm sure HB had no plans for a PV when it was originally released in the BEST album. I've got mixed feelings on this like everyone else. While I'm glad that the girls are getting more attention, should it really be for HB?: a song that is one of their weakest in terms of voice, authenticity and structure? But like people are saying, it's the popularity of the anime that is helping them. Madoka for example is what I consider to be Kalafina's BREAKTHROUGH in the anime industry. The huge success of the Madoka franchise, and the many viewings of magia as a result, really shone light on the girls. The same happened with Fate/Zero and probably will with Fate/Stay Night UBW 2014. Beats me >_<''', but I hope that the new fans will explore and listen to their better songs especially SEVENTH HEAVEN and all of their KNK songs ( their best for me ;)

@PeachPit: But Magia was pretty good, same for Kimi no Gin. The popularity doesnt really affect their songs, it affects the directors requests. The reason why HB and Believe are appealling to large crouds, is because most people prefer songs that have simple structure and are easy to get (you can get as an example AK48, Justin Bieber or pretty much every mainstream pop artist out there), not because they are good. The b-sides of this single will show if its Yuki that's fallen on the popularity thing (doubt it) or the directors.

^ I enjoyed Ali Project at Animelo Summer Live 2012 and 2013, but it took a long time to get used to their music (over a year).
FictionJunction, Kalafina, Yuuka Nanri, Chiaki Ishikawa took a lot less time from first hearing them to enjoying them.

I gave a few Ali Project tunes a proper listen this evening, and...I can sort-of see where the comparisons are coming from. There's the gothic lolita aesthetic, the neo-classical background music but that's as far as it goes. TBH I can't really get into it though. In theory it should be right up my alley, but after two or three songs in a row it starts to blur into one...like a parody of itself or something. I guess it's not my thing after all. It's weird, because I can usually appreciate noisy and chaotic music!* *sighs*

As far as Kala's breakthrough goes, I thought a lot of people jumped on board during the KnK/Black Butler era (which may be why so many of us have a sentimental attachment to those songs?) then things really mushroomed when Magia was used for Madoka. At this point their appeal seems to be pretty broad with overlapping fanbases (loads of different groups of fans thinking, "oh, they've done [insert series title here] as well?") so they hopefully won't get written off by newer fans just because they had two or three singles in a row that seem a bit generic.

*I can listen to a Boris/Merzbow collaboration but don't enjoy AP. Nope, I don't understand how that can happen either!

^ Well, the Arika co-written song Celestial Diva, originally sung by Minori Chihara, was performed as an opening duet at Animelo Summer Live 2013 and was very well done, but the other co-writers were Elements Garden people (-:. (Arika being the singer and a songwriter in ALI Project).

Some of Yuuka Nanri's solo material has been written by Elements Garden also.

Some songs sound a lot better in live performances a while after the initial studio release also.

As far as Kala's breakthrough goes, I thought a lot of people jumped on board during the KnK/Black Butler era (which may be why so many of us have a sentimental attachment to those songs?) then things really mushroomed when Magia was used for Madoka. At this point their appeal seems to be pretty broad with overlapping fanbases (loads of different groups of fans thinking, "oh, they've done [insert series title here] as well?") so they hopefully won't get written off by newer fans just because they had two or three singles in a row that seem a bit generic.

I actually get the slightly different impression that KnK /Kuroshitsuji gave them just moderate popularity in Japan, but relatively more interest from overseas fans, and it's the recent songs - Magia+Madoka song family, TTB and heavenly blue which skyrocketed their popularity within Japan. Kajiura (or the people who direct her to write a song in a certain way) probably realises that the Japanese fans are loving the TTB/heavenly blue formula which is why their sticking with it.

The Japanese fans, even the non-casual ones, definitely have different tastes to us overseas fans. That's probably the reason why you get songs like Ongaku, Kyrie, etc. making it onto the setlist at lives and dvd releases almost all the time whilst other songs (which we may think are much better) hardly ever get performed.
I think unlike us, who seem to generally love their B-sides and are kind of meh about their A-sides, the Japanese fans actually love their A-sides more than the B-side songs.

Those new dresses for some reason remind me of a combo of the Hikaru furu and moonfesta dresses :XD: I don't mind them at all...Hikaru looks really nice in hers. :dote:

@PeachPit: But Magia was pretty good, same for Kimi no Gin. The popularity doesnt really affect their songs, it affects the directors requests. The reason why HB and Believe are appealling to large crouds, is because most people prefer songs that have simple structure and are easy to get (you can get as an example AK48, Justin Bieber or pretty much every mainstream pop artist out there), not because they are good. The b-sides of this single will show if its Yuki that's fallen on the popularity thing (doubt it) or the directors.
Don't get me wrong, Magia and Kimi no Gin are some of my favourite songs from Yuki. With Black Butler , Lacrimosa did get attention but I personally feel that the success of Madoka really shot the public awareness of Kalafina. On the Facebook Group page for example many members joined as soon as magia was released. From there they went backwards and found Seventh Heaven , Red Moon etc But you make a point, that the mainstream structure of Believe and HB is accountable for its popularity like AKB48 and so on.

Sometimes I can't even hear words form Ali Project, it's so weird. I only liked Coppelia's Casket from Noir, that Yuki did so long ago, not the song, I meant the ost. But I haven't listened to them much since then and what I have I can't even understand what they are singing. Kalafina is much much better imo. Sorry, it's that style that I don't like, but Kala's is a way different style that's dark and happy at the same time. I think that's what Yuki was trying to go with HB, I just don't like Hikaru's part, and I know I am probably the only one, and it's probably why I don't like Ali as well.

^I liked all of HB except for Hikaru's part.

Fate/Zero is what led me to Kalafina. Same with a lot of my friends here in Canada.

Sometimes I can't even hear words form Ali Project, it's so weird. I only liked Coppelia's Casket from Noir, that Yuki did so long ago, not the song, I meant the ost. But I haven't listened to them much since then and what I have I can't even understand what they are singing. Kalafina is much much better imo.

Y'all just need to listen to their albums.

Here are some slow songs I like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiF442Jdr-o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pld5IkQvphk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1vC16fPEUM

^I've listened to multiple songs by them... I just don't like her voice at all. (Only like one song by Kanon Wakeshima (Kanon x Kanon? they have a similar voice) too, that's Calendula Requiem. I guess it's just taste opinions.

Heavenly Blue is cool, I like it with Aldnoah Zero.
Ali Project sounds like Kajiura sometimes but their aren't as good as Yuki..sorry :V:

Back