Kalafina Moonfesta (11th single)

^
Yane no Mukou ni is indeed a tragic song, but the way it was composed and arranged was really graceful and pretty. Not as tragic as lirica, utsukushisa, or sapphire.

Yane no Mukou ni is another I-love-the-B-side-more for me. Really hoping for Kalafina B-side instrumental collection.

@ninetales: Well it's just my opinion xD maybe i'm just really over-emotional. But I've actually cried to the song 2 times (omgggg major emo-Kizu status now)

SORRY GUYS THIS IS GOING TO BE A LONG RANDOM ANALYSIS OF THE SONG THAT PROBABLY IS JUST ME OVERTHINKING THINGS >.>

Well the first time I listened to the song I indeed thought it was a really cheerful summer song (from the line "natsu no yane no mukou ni") and

But after listening a few [hundred] more times and analysing the lyrics a little harder, I picked up on the sadness and bittersweetness the song holds. For example:

1. "ariamaru hikari ga itsumo kimi no soba ni ita; hontou wa zutto mae kara kimi wa shitte ita" (the light was always by yourside; truth is you knew all along)
It's as if WAKANA is singing to me to not give up hope because there's always light by my side, and that within my heart, I knew that fact, even though I'm so plagued by sadness and hopelessness. She's trying to tell me not to give up, and that even though the situation seems grave, there's a light to bring me to a brighter future.

2. "kitto yume ni todoku; sonna honokana mabushisa; fui ni kao wo ageta; natsu no yane no mukou ni" (This faint radiance will surely reach our dreams as we raise our eyes to beyond the summer rooftop)
TO ME, it seems as if WAKANA is telling me that the faint ray of hope is going to definitely reach my dreams, meaning my dreams will still have a small chance of being fulfilled. To raise my eyes beyond the summer rooftop, I interpreted it as me crying alone, staring at the ceiling in despair, but I am trapped within this space. I must realise that there's so much more BEYOND the roof, and that the sky is actually the limit, not this ceiling.

These are just two verses that I chose out of the song to express why I think it's a tragic song xDDDD maybe it's just me interpretting the Japanese incorrectly.... so please correct me if I'm wrong!! But yeah to me, this is one of the most tragic songs by Kalafina, because it is coated with such a sweetness. It really DOES sound like the sweetest song ever, but after listening to it so much, WAKANA's tragic voice, the lyrics that speak of such sadness..... I couldn't help but cry a little myself.

It's a song about a person who is struggling greatly with something, and he/she must hold on to the littlest of light that he/she is being given in order to move on to a greater future. (mirai e no kiteki ni mimi wo sumase/ listening closely to the whistle of the future)

^I think the lyrics are mainly happy, except for a few lines, like this one: "I want to laugh with a shine, always, telling you tender lies" has a submeaning to it. And I think the tragicness in Wakana's voice is sometimes there. But I don't think she can only be tragic. She is happier in Natsu no Ringo and Hikari no Senritsu. Just like Keiko and Hikaru can change their voice, not that I am saying you were saying that, if that makes sense.

^^
Actually I'm thinking the same thing with Loving.Keiko.Kubota about Yane no Mukou ni lyrics, although in my interpretation, Yane no Mukou ni is about a girl (or Kala girls, LOL) who really loves someone, she is seeing future with him, etc. but that someone's leave her, die, or already in her memory only. It's more like Kugatsu to me, about letting go of someone and reminiscing all the good memories or all the hope/wish that they share together. It's as if, the girl is sitting on the rooftop, crying about the memories they share together,and in the end she lets the memories became memories, and she treasured it.

It's just my interpretation. That's why I love Kajiura's lyrics. It's so deep and can give a different interpretation to everyone who listens to it.

I have the same reaction as Kizu here. I also had a sad feeling about Yane, and my alter ego was crying. -_- A sad but happy song?

^Yeah, I guess it is both. heh Goes to show that Kajiura has great writing ability, at least more than me. (Although I am really proud of some of my poems.) :dote:

Yes, I love how Kajiura's songs are emotionally complex and so can be interpreted in many different ways. I think you can discover new depths to her songs even if you continue to listen to them over and over again.

Yane no Mukou ni has a nostalgic, whimsical quality with a tinge of sorrow. It's undoubtedly a gentle and cheerful song, but I also feel undertones of regret and longing. There's definitely something else lurking beneath the happiness, as mentioned before with:

I want to laugh with a shine, always
telling you tender lies

And here:

Because the rotating spinning wheel,
shortening our counting song,
spins out invisible things
that increase unnoticed

To me, rather than being a tragic song, I think it sounds more like the song that would play after the tragedy, conveying hope for the future, liberation from past sadness. That's why I'd call the song 'happy' but not 'light', because I still feel an underlying darkness that seems to make the song 'heavier' and gives it more depth. I think Yane no Mukou ni is bittersweet, but optimistic.

Of course, there's also the effect of Wakana's voice which, as Yuki said, can make any song sound tragic or sad :XD: We don't know whether Yuki intended to use Wakana to imply sadness beneath the cheerfulness of the song, or if the vocal part allocations were in fact irrelevant (Or do Sony people allocate the singing parts and decide who sings what? :confu: ) And even though Wakana certainly isn't sounding her most tragic in this song, and we know she is capable of singing happier, I don't think she quite fully reaches that sort of mood in Yane no Mukou ni...

But of course, this is all subjective, and it really doesn't matter if you think it's a happy song or tragic song, or something in between. I'm sure Yuki would have wanted and expected people to interpret it differently. (To the point of dropping in mysterious lyrics that sound different on each occasion :knife: >.> /looks at manten) :XD:

On a side-note, Yuki writes beautiful, poetry-like lyrics :shy: I hope she doesn't write the more tragic ones from personal experience :TdT:

P.S. Liana, you should share some of your poetry with us! :stars:

(^I did post some of it I thought on the writing thread in the creative corner, otherwise it's all on my website which is in my sig.)

Yup it is indeed an optimistic song, I agree, Cerise :D

I guess one other factor to how one interprets the song is.. well.... the person listening to it AND the situation they listen to it in. When I'm walking down an empty street blasting this song and lip syncing along to it (omg i hope no one sees me doing this x.x omg) it is indeed a very happy and warmhearted song (especially when i lipsync at keiko's "natsu no yane no mukou niiiiiiiiiiiiiiii *does KEIKO smile* iiiiiii")

but when say I'm alone in m yroom and really sad and i blast this song... only tears fall

^Hey, I sing it (and all Kalafina songs) in the car as I am driving even though I usually try not to since I know people can see me sometimes. (And you are not as bad as the guy that was riding his bike in the parking lot, singing at the top of his lungs (and the guy was tone deaf like really really bad) while listening to his ipod. lol)

I have After Eden in my car. :knife:

I'm waiting for that one night where I will be driving around late near Christmas and it'll start to snow. I know what song I'll be playing!

:shy:

Speaking of Wakana not sounding as tragic as usual in Yane, I wonder if her pinched tone in "yane no mukou ni" will be addressed in any interview? Maybe she'll say she was close to tears, as she said about Kotonoha. Although that doesn't explain why she sounds clearer while singing Serenato despite what she said about its lyrics moving her greatly.

As for Yane's lyrics, they're now giving me hints of Owl City-esque imagery, so I think I'll stick with Natsu no Ringo.

To me, the difference between Natsu no Ringo and Yane no Mukou ni is that Natsu no Ringo sings of an innocent love: I envision a young boy and a young girl (or in my case a young boy and a young boy :P) discovering love in a midsummer night <3

Whereas Yane no Mukou ni has a sad back story to it.

Also I don't think Serenato is a sad song per se, more like a song about finding love in the middle of a sad situation or something like that and believing in it /my 2 cents

Maybe serenato's lyrics moved her but not in the teary way? :confu: :XD: I dunno...for some reason, when she said she fights to hold back tears when she sings vanity, I thought she sounded really smooth singing it...but then in Kotonoha, she really does sound like she's about to cry...so maybe serenato affected her the same way vanity did, by moving her but not affecting her voice? :desksweat:

Otherwise, could it be just a breathing problem? Like maybe she ran a bit out of breath on the line and so had to pinch the note to hold it rather than singing it more openly? I don't know anything about singing, so I have no idea if this is possible, though :XD:

Yuki's songs have different interpretations based on a person's point of view, that's why I think it's a mixture of a "lonely yet contented" feeling. :XD:

As you guys mentioned Natsu No Ringo, I thought I'd just throw this out there:

I heard that song for the first time recently (I think it's awesome) and it reminded me of the theme song to a game called ICO - Anyone played that?

It's the initial part that I find quite similar - The songs go their separate ways after that, but I thought it was interesting! You guys might not agree:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWVij6r4 ... re=related

Back