Kalafina LIVE TOUR 2015-2016 "far on the water"

OK, time to finally watch it as my copy arrived and I have a chance to sit down and blast it out at high volume. I actually haven't listened to much Kalafina recently, although that's in part due to not actually listening to much music in general for the last few weeks for some reason.

Koibito - Holy shit, this is a good start. I remember first hearing this in Osaka and getting chills down my spine and simultaneously starting to cry a little. It hasn't really lost that much power for a live recording either, still sounds amazing. I think this might actually be my favourite Kalafina song since the Kimi no Gin no Niwa single, so it's lovely to hear it performed at all, let alone so well. I still really love Keiko and Hikaru's outfits in this set (especially Hikaru's bitchin' trousers) and Wakana's is alright, although it looks too bottom-heavy.

monochrome - I'm sure the switch between Koibito and monochrome was smoother in this live compared the earlier ones. It works, though. I still like monochrome's Perfume dansu though, even if it is a little ridiculous. It's good to see Hikaru performing so much better than she did at Budokan though, it fills me with determination.

Gogatsu no Mahou - Wish I could've seen this with the string quartet. Hikaru sounds great here too, as does Wakana. That sweaty Wakana already though, I know she's like that but it's so soon. Also nice to see the camerawork in this live is considerably better than Budokan as well, better shots of the girls as they're singing, better angles in general and actually showing the FBM more than once per hour. Dat long note by Wakana.

MC1 - Pretty standard. Hikaru's introduction was cute.

Sorairo no Isu - Fun fact, this song started playing with the rain drops on the back projection, just as it started raining outside my house. So I had the song playing with actual rain on my window. Dat Hikaru smile during the first instrumental part. Also hah, so that's when Hikaru's hair gets messed up. I forgot how much I adored this song, and this performance is gorgeous.

lapis - Keiko is perfect. That three-way harmonisation on the long note before the guitar kicks in is pure love. Just all around great throughout the whole song, can't really ask for a better performance.

Kagayaku - This is one of those songs I really like, but tend to forget about until I listen to it again, then remember I really like it. Was gorgeous when I saw it, still gorgeous here, also I still love that moment when everything kicks in. Sad there's no live flute, though. Hikaru sounds grand here, this is the Hikaru I love.

MC2 - Barely even exists

Musunde Hiraku - I still don't like this song all that much, but if playing this means I never have to hear Mirai again I'm totally down for that as it's a lot better. I remember being impressed when they sang it live in October, thinking it sounded much nicer live than it does on the studio version, and that holds up here as well. The girls look so damn happy singing it too. If they keep releasing live performances of it as good as this, it may well become like Symphonia for me, since I didn't care for that much originally and now it's my favourite album ending track. It feels like I'm starting to get that way with Musunde as well.

storia - storia is storia I guess. I doubt I'll ever like the opening but this is one of the best performances of it thus far. That little dansu during the flute segment (where are you, Rie?) is cute as hell. Overall, this is one of the best sounding storia lives for a long time. I don't think it's ever been performed perfectly live but it's pretty close here. Good job, girls.

misterioso - Eh, it's misterioso. Performance sounds good, but I just can't bring myself to care. This song is too long.

One Light - I'm pretty sad this got put here and not in a huge lump with Identify, Signal and Ongaku like with the October tour, that batch lot was grand. Also why put this between Nightmare Ballet and misterioso? Those two are practically designed to be together. Pretty damn cool having Wakana and Keiko off at the sides though, also the girls pumping their fists is incredibly adorable. Badass Hikaru is best Hikaru also. Performance sounds good and much better than the studio version, as is standard for OL.

Nightmare Ballet - I loved Rebellion's OST, so happy this was the insert although I would've killed to see Numquam live. Thank god it wasn't any SAO trash. Sounds rather majestic with a string quartet. I'm still waiting for my YK Live feat. PMMM. That's something I'd go to Japan to see.

Into the Water - Ritualistic summoning of Satan aside, it's playback. Dresses are ridiculous and floofy.

In Every Nothing - Alongside Koibito, this was the best song played during the live I saw. Sounds bloody amazing. Visuals are pretty damn cool as well, with the weird Gigyas projection. Also dem strings. That dress swishing during the guitar solo is silly as hell and I love it. Probably one of the best guitar solos in a live, though, based Korenaga.

Yami no Uta - Also sounded great, sounds even nicer with a string quartet. Still think the bottom of Wakana's dress sucks. Keiko's dress still looks like shit. Dem Keiko vocals though, she had so much power, I remember it echoing around the whole room, gave me some severe chills. I really hope I can see this live again someday. Hikaru and Wakana sounding great as well. Those poses at the end are dumb.

Believe - Fuck off

Hokage - Sounds a lot better live than the studio version once again. Would've been nice to see it with the quartet, but Konno was good enough to make me enjoy it a lot more. Still sounds a lot like Sapphire, which I still think sounds a lot like Lilium from Elfen Lied. Wakana sounds absolutely gorgeous here, I must admit.

Usumurasaki - What's up with the arm manoeuvres at the start, girls. That long note is grand, plus that incredibly strong Keiko voice is glorious. Yay, more silly dansu. String quartet makes this song sound even more majestic than usual, it was always a clear best song on the album.

Identify - That direct shift into Identify was unexpected, but it works. That crowd chanting as well. I remember the Identify/Signal/Ongaku combo getting the crowd really into it during the Osaka live (naturally I joined in) with everyone standing up and joining in, was rather cool considering the rest of the concert just had everyone sitting down and silent other than post-song applause. This song was practically made for lives, and it shows. Korenaga's guitar soloing with the girls at the top of the stairs just screams cool.

Signal - Probably the best sounding Signal so far, but still lacks some of the power you get from the studio version or seeing it live. I remember the bass echoing around the whole venue when I was there, and it doesn't quite capture it here. Wakana's 'aaaaaaah'ing sounds great too, but once again not quite as good as in person, her doing that during the Osaka gig is my best memory of that live, straight up chills down my spine. Hikaru sounds good here, and Keiko's solo sounds wonderful. I've always loved Keiko's part of Signal. I'm still not sure what to make of replacing the accordion solo with a keyboard solo. I don't really mind it being longer than the original, it's got a good groove to it. Would make more sense if it was before an encore or a MC, however. That said...

Ongaku - That sudden switchup, yessss. Sure, Ongaku is played every live, but it's such a fucking good experience I don't even care. I've always liked it as a song and think it's a good song to have as a staple, but I wasn't ready for quite how damn enjoyable it is to actually be there, joining in with the crowd as everyone goes crazy for it. It's just got such a feel good driving force to it. The girls obviously love singing it and the crowd loves it, what's not to like. Keiko's squeaky voice shouting out to the crowd is a little odd, though. Wakana's solo sounds wonderful, and dat wink. I doubt I will ever get tired of Ongaku.

Heavenry Brew - Still sounds better live, still has some good parts, still a good performance, still not a song I care about at all in the long run. I don't really care that they added it to the setlist after I saw them, I don't feel as though I missed out on anything. Actually if they had played it as an addition to the setlist they had in Osaka, we might've missed the last train to the airport and wouldn't have been able to get out of Japan, so it's a good thing they didn't add it in.

MC3 - I have no idea what's going on. Keiko is so cute when she's talking to the audience though. Dat Wakana/Hikaru nod.

Seventh Heaven - Vocals sound kinda loud at points, but otherwise sounds good. That final note is something lovely.

Encore - Clap clap clap

Ring Your Bell (In the Silence) ~ Ring Your Bell - Still wish RYBITS was sung, but I guess they were focussing on their GIANT FLAGS. That was one of the coolest moments of the live, there's something just really great about flags. I wonder how heavy those things were, they looked like they had quite a bit of weight. Keiko looks like a total badass holding that flag with her hair in the wind and that sweet jacket of hers. I personally really like these dresses, especially Keiko's jacket. Would be better without Wakana having that one floofy sleeve, but otherwise I don't have any aesthetic issues with the set at all. As for the song, performance is good, and I'm of the opinion that RYB is much better live compared to the studio once again. It's still too damn long, however.

MC4 - Cuuuute. Hikaru saying LIVE PHOTOBOOK is adorable and her getting so into everything aaaaaaaa I'm dying. Also that 'well, what is it?' pose is the best thing.

Mahiru - Piano and vocals? Yes please. I really should listen to Mahiru more, I barely listen to the OL single at all. Sounds gorgeous.

Far on the Water - Those opening Keiko vocals are such a wonderful thing. I really like this song, and think it works well as an ending track. It's got a very warm feeling to it. Fantastic ending.

Overall, this live is bloody great. Despite the focus on FotW, the setlist is mostly grand (still can't believe Koibito, IEN and Lapis got in for the tour) and the girls all sound the best they have in years. After Budokan I was worried a lot about Hikaru, but she sounds SO much better here. I was wondering if Hikaru sounding great in the Osaka live was just my brain overriding any issues due to the hype of being there, but this seems to prove that no, she's actually just sounding a lot better again. Wakana has sounded wonderful again for a while now and Keiko has almost always sounded lovely. Pretty much solidifies this live release at the same kind of quality level as the Red Moon and After Eden lives for me, and that makes me very happy considering I've had plenty to bitch about with their new releases over the last year or so.

Believe - Fuck off
My thoughts exactly. Though I don't think believe is their worst song (that goes to love come down imo), I distinctly remember rolling my eyes when it started playing, especially since it was after the badass Yami no Uta. :XD:

The level of quality that Kalafina put out with their performance this time around was stellar. Nearly every song was performed well, with Wakana sounding more like the saddened angel we all know and love, and Hikaru sounding miles better than Budokan. I'm tempted to buy this live, since I haven't bought any of their lives yet and looking to buy one (debating between this and Blue Day). My main criticism, singing-wise, would have to go to One Light. I feel like Hikaru was weak on the chorus (compared to other lives of OL), as if she was trying too hard to put power into it.

i have to disagree for love come down, its a lovely song, and one of the new ones in fotw, monochrome i think, borrow its melody. so if you like that one you sure like love come down ;)

I guess that one is identify, but I do like it (and monochrome) and dislike (not hate, though) love come down. It can happen :)

RIP FotW Live Photobook :touched:.

Also it seems that the Red/Blue Live Photobook is still Animate exclusive, since that's not there either.

Should make it easier to get hold of the recent pamphlets though, so that's good.
But CDJ DO have it :cheer:
from what I can tell anything with NEODAI in the URL is a special order or something aannnddd if it's a special order it doesn't show up regularly

EDIT:
Into the water had the best dansu MAN those dresses were kinda cool. At first I disliked them but then they disappeared for YnU and it was like a really cool magic trick. That was cool. It's also really awesome to see them enjoying the dansu (ex. monochrome) this may be one of the best lives yet. I don't think there was one bad song in here performance wise.

My copy came while I was away and dad had taken it inside. Surprised it didn't take so long.

ALSO GUESS WHO'S GETTING THAT VOCAL SCORE FOR THEIR BIRTHDAY?! MEE!! I'M LIKE SO EXCITED. I remember waiting for a shuttle to SeaWorld and checking CDJ because the Pokemon Go servers were down and I was like: "MUM! Can we order something for my birthday?!" and she said yes! and I'm just happy because I was going to ask to special order it anyway and now it's not as expensive! :sohappy:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. "One Light" LIVE is somethin' else. I like it way more than the recorded version because of the greater sense of passion we get from HIKARU. This song was composed TO BE PERFORMED LIVE. That background Kajiuran, the great piano presence that is, IMO, quite lacking in a lot of their other more upbeat songs.

"Signal" and "Yami no Uta" were letdowns. I preferred when they were performed in the "consolation Special FINAL" and "Red Moon LIVE", respectively.

But "One Light". Oh yes! Out of the four singles from FOTW, this has got to be their best performance in this live. I liked the ring your bell performance, but let's face it; it's boring as hell.

I could finally watch it! I know it took me a while, but I wanted to do it with my boyfriend on my birthday, that was last Monday. Best way to start my 23s.

I loved it, even if that kaladansu was adorably ridiculous. Wakana and Keiko were awesome, and while Hikaru still sounds weird (like Wakana once did) (better than in both best lives, though), her attitude was EVERYTHING.

I'm so happy we could see some b-sides and old songs here. Lovely. Except for misterioso and believe, that I didn't enjoy that much, all meh-a-sides were great live. As always, maybe.

Anyway, I won't be long, this was discussed a lot already ^^

(Am I the only one who missed Red Moon here? :'( )

(Am I the only one who missed Red Moon here? :'( )

No. I'm still pretty upset that I finally got to see them live and they didn't sing it. Being one of my favourite songs and the fact that it's a pretty common appearance in their setlists, I was disappointed.

I actually wish they performed Red Moon in all their lives. Not only because it´s one of my fave songs ever, but because it´s one of the most gorgeous and impressive ones to see live. I just cannot get enoug of it.

Also, not sure if someone already said it, but youtuber user Mahiru is uploading some of the perfomances from the live with english subs =D (Mahiru, if you're reading this, thank you really much, your work is greatly appreciated <3)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2NOI5-EBEZheXI6HXu8Dxw

Sorry to revive an old thread but I couldnt think of a better place to post. I recently got the far on the water special final DVD, and it's displaying a "playback prohibited due to region" error on my Blu-ray player despite the DVD being marked "region all". To check I put in the dvd that came with the far on the water album (also marked region all) and it works perfectly. Does anyone know what's going on?

> DVD
CDJapan and Amazon say far on the water special live DVD is Region 2 (NTSC/R2J). Does the box/disc really say otherwise?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back