「Kalafina Anniversary LIVE 2025」15th January Tokyo Garden Theater (NO KAJIURA INVOLVEMENT)

Joelle will always be an imitation, a replacement
Joelle is not imitating Wakana when singing melody or harmony lines that were written by Kajiura and which Wakana happened to sing first (and, yes, severally).

A male singer can as well sing the same lines in a lower octave (or same if they're tenors/counters) and they wouldn't be "imitating Wakana".

Dozens maybe hundreds of people have sang Wakana's lines in covers before. They are not all attempting to imitate her. Joelle is a professional in her own right, she ain't imitating Wakana and doesn't need to. Yuriko has sang lines Wakana sang before, same with Kaori. Why's no one saying they're imitating Wakana?

That's funny because when I heard the Kalafina songs in Kaji Fest 2023 I thought Joelle's voice was the sound that was missing from Kalafina from all those years. The only time I felt I missed Wakana was during the FJ song Parallel Hearts
Thank you! There are songs that Joelle elevated because of how she's able to express the lyrics differently to the original, use runs at specific areas, hold long notes with smooth vibrato, and so on, and blend with Yuriko.

OK, I don't want anyone to feel that I don't like Kalafina or Wakana specifically (she's the center of all the arguments it seems, with all the arguments around comparisons to her golden voice), but I've actually thought recently. what if Kalafina was to do their entire reunion live without all the layered vocal backing tracks obviously meticulously composed and recorded by Kajiura using her own voice sometimes, Hanae's, Remi's Yuriko's and so on? Like, only their 3̌ voices, unaided, apart from the usual reverb and EQ?

I personally feel people don't give proper respect to Yuriko's voice (or do it in passing) for her being an integral part of the Kalafina (nay, Kajiura) sound. Without her voice on so many tracks, especially all the Kajiurago we enjoy in Kalafina songs, it wouldn't sound a quarter as good. Many, many times, Yuriko's heavily layered vocal is filled in with Wakana, covering a lot of the frequency space especially on those high falsetto/head voice Kajiura sections we enjoy so much (RyB, and so much) and people seem to subconsciously attribute that kajiurago head voice feel/vibe just to Wakana, unknowingly.

I read some of the Chinese Bili2 comments asking why Yuriko was using a less "ethereal" falsetto when doing Wakana's part in... was it "Storia"? I may be wrong, just watching again last night.

For us fans, I think it's only when we started to hear the Kalafina songs in their solo lives (Wakana, Keiko, and Hikaru individually) that we realized something was grossly absent. Many felt, "oh it's just because the three of them are not together", but I submit it is the absence of the full mix and vocal layering that Kajiura's team and her manipulator-san (who always gets the most cheers in YKL during the FBM intro) created, and which was ever-present in every Kalafina album and concert, but not in their solo concerts so it was obvious.

To show I'm not against Wakana, I mean, I was "attacking" the decision to use LINO LEIA to sing Wakana's part for RyB in the recent FSN concert just because she's unable to carry the lead for that song, when Joelle was fully available, or even Yuriko (Kaori is not available). Many of us (including I) piled on May'n trying to sing Wakana's part in the Keiko live, because she wasn't able to carry it with her less developed voice.

In my view, Kalafina inhabited Kajiura's sonic world, not the other way around.

I do not recall Kajiura stating FictionJunction is meant to have fixed members, so can you elaborate on how Joelle is being an imitation, because she's certainly not, and posing as a threat to the contemporary run for Kajiura? I get that some still miss Wakana's presence in the group and are still used to hearing her voice in some newer rendition, but to declare such is not a nice thing : )
“Imitation” only in the context of Kalafina — and perhaps not the best word (as @grunty pointed out, which I agree!). I simply meant ever since 2018, since all variables were changed, the same sound pre 2018 was never seen again, and from that moment Kalafina kind of died as a unit because the stars were no longer aligned.

I agree that others may feel differently, that Kalafinas sound was finally complete after Joelle came in— I’m not here to comment on that!!! I LOVE that others see it this way!! My ass STILL gets excited when Kalafina songs are performed by W K or H!!!!!

Look, I absolutely love both Joelle and Wakana and I’ve been fine with all the performances, whether it’s wakanas solo Kalafina covers or FJ’s Kalafina covers. I hope you won’t misconstrue my words as being hurtful or “not nice”. That was simply never my intent. As you can see I am dying to see the three of them perform— I honestly don’t give a crap about any of this drama because it’s all just fan made bullshit

Edit: changed some words 🥹

Last edited:
Joelle is not imitating Wakana when singing melody or harmony lines that were written by Kajiura and which Wakana happened to sing first (and, yes, severally).

A male singer can as well sing the same lines in a lower octave (or same if they're tenors/counters) and they wouldn't be "imitating Wakana".

Dozens maybe hundreds of people have sang Wakana's lines in covers before. They are not all attempting to imitate her. Joelle is a professional in her own right, she ain't imitating Wakana and doesn't need to. Yuriko has sang lines Wakana sang before, same with Kaori. Why's no one saying they're imitating Wakana?
Agree! Wrong use of words, “imitate” was the wrong thing to say, I stand firmly corrected by you and @grunty

I meant to say Joelle is “seen” as a replacement, seen as an imitation (by some, albeit probably small population!! But as we have discussed— wrongfully dubbed as an imitation). I think it’s fucked up, Joelle is Joelle, it’s like there’s this pitting between the two of them but they’re both wonderful and this comparison doesn’t need to happen.

Bottom line: I really apologize for using the wrong word, I really respect your presence in this forum so I hope you’ll accept my apology… (I’m not being sarcastic😮‍💨)

I personally feel people don't give proper respect to Yuriko's voice (or do it in passing) for her being an integral part of the Kalafina (nay, Kajiura) sound. Without her voice on so many tracks, especially all the Kajiurago we enjoy in Kalafina songs, it wouldn't sound a quarter as good. Many, many times, Yuriko's heavily layered vocal is filled in with Wakana, covering a lot of the frequency space especially on those high falsetto/head voice Kajiura sections we enjoy so much (RyB, and so much) and people seem to subconsciously attribute that kajiurago head voice feel/vibe just to Wakana, unknowingly.
Wow I didn't realize how much Yuriko was used on all those Kalafina songs until you pointed this out. So basically Kalafina is FictionJunction minus Kaori plus Hikaru 😅

Yuriko was the magic secret ingredient for FJ Yuuka, FictionJunction, Kalafina, and even some of Saeko Chiba (primarily Kaori Nishina though). She is the real star. I'd rather her be the central vocalist and all the other women backing HER up.

Okay, bringing this back to topic: If Kalafina regroups for a new album / tour, they will presumably not have access to Yuki's elite backup singers (Yuriko / Hanae) so that will be interesting to see who they bring in for that, if anyone.

(Also awwww, it's nice to see people on the internet being nice and respectful)

Wow I didn't realize how much Yuriko was used on all those Kalafina songs until you pointed this out. So basically Kalafina is FictionJunction minus Kaori plus Hikaru 😅

Yuriko was the magic secret ingredient for FJ Yuuka, FictionJunction, Kalafina, and even some of Saeko Chiba (primarily Kaori Nishina though). She is the real star. I'd rather her be the central vocalist and all the other women backing HER up.

Okay, bringing this back to topic: If Kalafina regroups for a new album / tour, they will presumably not have access to Yuki's elite backup singers (Yuriko / Hanae) so that will be interesting to see who they bring in for that, if anyone.

Honestly if they do new music (which I’m always here for) the change in vibe will just be like when the Spice Girls went with a new direction for their third album after Geri left — mad people found it jarring and they lost their sound but i personally loved it. I absolutely adore the nebulous nature of art…. How things are never concrete and sometimes repetition is the downfall of artists. When Taylor swift reinvented her self over and over… I was so down for it all.

Mind you 2014 onwards there were many complaints about the Kalafina singles all sounding the same (heavenly blue and believe being one of them) and one light wasn’t too well received by some. Side note: Ok I loved loved loved blaze LMAOO that generic ass bridge is my LIFEEEEE but I’m just a weirdo who appreciates corniness.

This new Kalafina is … NEW. It’s a friggin revolution and I’m gosh darn excited.

I was/am excited for their solo careers. Most songs I could live without but I’m absolutely THRILLED they did it!!!!! They added to their repertoire that some days I can choose from some of the discography I banished months ago, just to rediscover the magic THEY saw in the song when they decided to release it. (This is also how I felt about the third Spice Girls album)

Long story short… I’m a very excited fan for what’s to come. Even if it’s a one off. 🥹

To see a differennt backing vocal combo check out "Shirogane" that has Kaori and Shuhei Kita backing LiSA - song also by Kajiura https://canta-per-me.net/lyrics/shirogane/

https://youtu.be/Nm9Qf5-CzA8?si=EyX1AE5QKcpQ1Bho

what if Kalafina was to do their entire reunion live without all the layered vocal backing tracks obviously meticulously composed and recorded by Kajiura using her own voice sometimes, Hanae's, Remi's Yuriko's and so on? Like, only their 3̌ voices, unaided, apart from the usual reverb and EQ?
If Wakana is still singing like she was last year, and she sings the kajiurago chorus in the upcoming live, the concert is going to be an even bigger disaster than usual lol.

OK, I don't want anyone to feel that I don't like Kalafina or Wakana specifically (she's the center of all the arguments it seems, with all the arguments around comparisons to her golden voice), but I've actually thought recently. what if Kalafina was to do their entire reunion live without all the layered vocal backing tracks obviously meticulously composed and recorded by Kajiura using her own voice sometimes, Hanae's, Remi's Yuriko's and so on? Like, only their 3̌ voices, unaided, apart from the usual reverb and EQ?
Why does everyone conveniently forget Kalafina's Christmas album (Winter Acoustic "Kalafina with Strings")? My favourite album from Kalafina by far is their Christmas album specifically because they strip down all the background vocals and studio tracks and just focus on their voices and the instruments. Kalafina did plenty of acoustic lives as well, so it's not like they're incapable of singing Kalafina songs without Hanae/Yuriko/Fion's background vocals.

My favourite performance of all time from Kalafina is the Believe acoustic performance from 9+ONE, which was wholly superior than the studio version of Believe. The studio version certainly had a lot more layering and complex instrumentation, but it's also the worst version of the song. Claiming that Kalafina cannot function without Kajiura's production is completely downplaying Kalafina as its own entity. A lot of Kalafina's acoustic performances don't involve Kajiura's input as well - a lot of the times, it's Kalafina and Sakurada and the FBM coming up with a version that they think the audience will enjoy. Wakana, Hikaru and Keiko had a lot more input for the direction of their lives as time went on.

Kalafina themselves have frequently expressed that their lives were always about trying to replicate the studio versions of their songs as best as they can in a live setting. It's not like they couldn't do without the manipulator, but it was a requirement from Kajiura to do so. Being able to do their songs in an acoustic setting probably meant they had an avenue to express themselves differently from how they recorded their studio vocals. And you can tell as a viewer and an audience member that Kalafina look like they're having the time of their lives in their acoustic performances, when they aren't so restricted while on stage.

I do like Yasashii Uta a lot but I don't go back to Kalafina's "Winter Acoustic". I think some parts of the new with strings arranges are nice, others are bleh. Singing wise Hikaru's voice does not work for me in sprinter (in particular), Keiko's does not work for me in her fairytale solos (in particular). Chances are I've never even listened to the carols but I'm happy for people who like those.

I agree with you that some songs can absolutely work without extra harmonies or in different arranges. I myself keep saying Aimer's "Hana no Uta" piano-only lives are better than Kajiura's og bloat strings arrange (maybe there's a hint there for what I don't like...). I am also amazed how much I enjoyed "voices silently sing" from vol15 with only the lead Eri vocal (though I probably would still go for the og if I had to pick).
Would all songs work without Kajiura og arranges & production? I don't know - I think it could depend how much you like them in og form, considering you yourself said you don't like og "believe" with your example and I am not a fan of Kajiura's strings bloat in "Hana no Uta" with my example. I guess it's the same if you like Wakana so much that you usually can't get over hearing others singing her og parts.

The Re-track aranges of the gundam songs were so boring cause in most they just slapped strings on top of the og song. Solo violin was so much better... Same for magia quatro.

Last edited:
everyone is either team Kajiura Joelle or team Kalafina Wakana and here I am being messy:

Kalafina with Strings sux, Wakana's and Hikaru's vocals for the most part hurt my ears, but Yasashii Uta rules.

Hikaru literally can't sing anymore but her timbre is still amongst the most listenable between all Kajiura's vocalists so I'm always conflicted about her lmao

Kalafina songs should've always been banned from YKL.

Joelle is not a good fit for Kajiura's music. There i said it. She limits the vocal division and arrangement possibilities of YKL, doesn't really fit Kajiura's JP songs and somehow on the songs that she might actually fit Kajiura doesn't use her. If she's still around Kajiura should've worked with Kaori Nishina again instead.

I wish for Kalafina to actually go forward and beyond after their reunion. Kajiura's music is imo not more important to Kalafina than the ladies voice and chemistry with each other. Keiko was literally forcing herself to accept and do Kalafina cover on YKL lmao (this is fact, she said it multiple times). Maybe she's one of the biggest Joelle-doing-Wakana's parts hater (this is me speculating and fueling the drama because I'm messy and a dramahoe). For the most part she couldn't even looked at Joelle during Kalafina cover section. Some of my favorite Kalafina vocal performances (and actually good vocal performances) were actually when they weren't singing Kajiura's songs/their own songs.

Unlikely to happen but I actually hope for a full blown war between Kajiura and Spacecraft regarding Kalafina. Get Kalafina some works, let Kalafina perform songs by other well known composers.

The blog was upselling Kajiura by saying that Kajiura's songs can reach top spot in Oricon but undermines the popularity of the animes they're being tied on and the popularity of the singer. aimer and LiSA are bigger names than Kalafina, their singles selling more is not all thanks to Kajiura lmao

I imagined grasshoppers chirping after that post... wanting a war? not a great mindspace to be in :( I hope this is just a mischievous stir-the-pot moment and not an actual moment in your life.

I heartily disagree with some of what you said but sadly agree with others.

Hikaru can't sing is too harsh, she still has moves, I've been pleasantly surprised how well she did in the recent lives. Sure it's not super great but can't sing is a bit much. Kalafina with strings... I agree with you there, Hikaru and Wakana in their rawest form could not deliver and most of the sound produced was cringey.

Joelle is a good fit though. She has added her own flair to the group and blends in really well. I don't know which songs you think don't fit but saying it straight out without examples will trigger people lol. not that you need examples, it may be just how you perceive it but asserting that it doesn't fit is not right imo.

Yasashii Yoake for example is great live... and it is such a iconic song associated with Chiaki that it was hard to impress and I think Joelle delivered.

A Kaori Nishina comeback would still be great tho xD

How do you ban Kalafina songs from YKL LOL

Also yes, Kajiura's fame is tied to the anime works and how they are received. and yes Kalafina singers may yet do good jobs with other composers. Kajiura still remains the mastermind behind Kalafina as of right now and as we know it.

Last edited:
I am not enthusiastic with this whole Kalafina reboot being masterminded by Spacecraft. I am curious to see how the three will be able to sing together again, but scummy Spacecraft should just ditch the fucking name.

Kalafina is Wakana, Keiko, and Hikaru. I feel that the dynamic at the moment appears to be just Wakana + Keiko, Hikaru, with the latter two appearing to have little to no say on this whole thing (hence Kajiura’s statement).

Whatever your thoughts on the musicality of YK and FJ/Kalafina then and now, it doesn’t remove the fact that bad decisions starting from 2018 messed things up. They are even making a big mess right now with how there is little to no news/promotion of the event.

Fuck Spacecraft.

Agree! Wrong use of words, “imitate” was the wrong thing to say, I stand firmly corrected by you and @grunty

I meant to say Joelle is “seen” as a replacement, seen as an imitation (by some, albeit probably small population!! But as we have discussed— wrongfully dubbed as an imitation). I think it’s fucked up, Joelle is Joelle, it’s like there’s this pitting between the two of them but they’re both wonderful and this comparison doesn’t need to happen.

Bottom line: I really apologize for using the wrong word, I really respect your presence in this forum so I hope you’ll accept my apology… (I’m not being sarcastic😮‍💨)
Please, there's no need to apologize. I just want people to accept reality even if they have preferences for a past that is no more.

I just feel it's a weird thing to undercut/sabotage Joelle's performances where she's giving 100% in every performance, especially when people say she's less than Wakana, or she's an imitation (essentially a fake), when it's not like Joelle is coercing Kajiura to perform Kalafina songs.

Thank God she didn't join the FSN live, the fans would have descended on her. Maybe Kajiura anticipated this so she didn't use Joelle or Yuriko, and since fans already liked LINO she just acquiesced to their imagination of LINO - and maybe also a way to actually have them HEAR LINO sing Wakana's part and not the fantasy they were having in their minds about LINO's voice being close to Wakana's.

Anyway that is all moot since Kalafina is coming back together. If the videos are on the usual channels I will probably watch to see what's up.

Wakana's voice is still the first thing I ever heard of Kalafina's (and eventually Kajiura's music) and it drew me in, so I won't diminish the impact it had on me (though that was a studio-enhanced version), and that melody )RyBits) she sang and the music beneath and the harmonies captured me, and I'm still here. But, my understanding and appreciation of vocals and music has expanded since then, but props where they are due.

Joelle did the same for Sound Horizon music for me. I heard her voice and went further into SH before discovering all of it (and becoming a fan of Revo as well).

Hikaru literally can't sing anymore but her timbre is still amongst the most listenable between all Kajiura's vocalists so I'm always conflicted about her lmao
She can still sing. She just has a 60% voice range and 50% flexibility sadly, compared to when she started, and still has some of the same bad technique tendencies that led to the damage especially pushing when trying to go towards the upper 4th octave up to the C5. If she had Kaori's technique for traversing her former higher-mid to upper range, she would be a much better singer.
Kalafina songs should've always been banned from YKL.
🤣🤣🤣 Why though? Banned by whom? So the composer/arranger/lyricist never gets to play her own music (which she still has rights some to) again for a disbanded group, because one singer left her group or she resigned as their producer?
Joelle is not a good fit for Kajiura's music. There i said it. She limits the vocal division and arrangement possibilities of YKL
😂😂😂 Sorry but I think you actually have it the other way completely. She expands the song choice, allows for J+Y+K TRIO for multiple songs in the YKL 20, because she can cover the low range quite well (hence no need for Kaori to do that. A entire slew of songs were literally rearranged for the 3 of them and worked.
Get Kalafina some works, let Kalafina perform songs by other well known composers.
I really want you to get your wish on this. 🎅 Yes, let Kalafina sing other people's songs. I would listen to them out of curiosity. You might be surprised many top composers might not write for them since they're not in their vocal prime unlike before. Unless it's tied to an anime. They need to prove the audience pull is there for NON-KAJIURA songs. Remember, all the love and appreciation is for the songs they already sang - the nostalgia of Kalafina past - which was fully Kajiura created, from top to bottom (except for a couple that were not successful).

I guess the battle now is whether is still something without the music they were known for. They need Kajiura's music to even have a reunion live, so them working with other composers is just wishing for now.

As MKBHD would say, and I paraphrase, buy a product for the features it has now not for the promise of additional features through future updates.
Hikaru can't sing is too harsh, she still has moves, I've been pleasantly surprised how well she did in the recent lives. Sure it's not super great but can't sing is a bit much.
To me, Hikaru owns the stage every time she stands on it. Always living the lyrics as she sings them. Always draws the camera to herself even when she's not singing. I think she often has to hold herself back a bit like in YKL since it's a different, more controlled environment. If not for her voice/technique issues, I feel she has/had real potential on-stage star power as a solo artist.
I feel that the dynamic at the moment appears to be just Wakana + Keiko, Hikaru
Yeah... It's like Wakana's totally in her comfort zone (which she's earned), while Keiko and Hikaru are bending more and sacrificing relationally and otherwise, especially Hikaru, who's not got any industry base (label/office) and so has no fallback position at all!

I just feel it's a weird thing to undercut/sabotage Joelle's performances where she's giving 100% in every performance, especially when people say she's less than Wakana, or she's an imitation (essentially a fake), when it's not like Joelle is coercing Kajiura to perform Kalafina songs
It's not a matter of us thinking Wakana is superior to Joelle. Joelle is OBVIOUSLY the more technical and developed vocalist.

There are songs where I vastly prefer Wakana (Voyagers, Image theme of Xenosaga, all the FJ anisongs like Parallel Hearts, Distance and Stone Cold where Kaori should not be leading the entire song my god, all the Kalafina covers partly because I'm used to it, and partly because I LIKE Wakana's voice). Is the idea of liking someone's voice DESPITE technique issues such a foreign concept to you?

And there are songs where Joelle absolutely crushes it. LORD main theme, Yasashii Yoake, Fena OST, Princess Principal live, Godsibb and I talk to the rain in the vol. 1 reprise where I vastly prefer Joelle over Eri here and more. The only Kalafina cover I've liked Joelle in so far is into the world, and that's more because each FJ member got a solo here.

And songs which Keiko suited for more, like The World and I reach for the sun. Keiko should really have kept her lead parts here since her English pronunciation and accent has improved a lot since vol 2 and 9.

Joelle did the same for Sound Horizon music for me. I heard her voice and went further into SH before discovering all of it (and becoming a fan of Revo as well).
Thing is, I love Joelle (and Kaori) in Sound Horizon, where the songs were written for their voices (note a lot of Kajiura material I like Joelle in was written for Joelle's voice). SH also has the benefit of leaning very heavily into musical theatre where Joelle's emotiveness can shine through. SH has always been in the same realm (musically) as something like Phantom of the Opera, and, no surprise, she has plenty of Western influence in her singing which fits perfectly in this setting. Her Sound Horizon performances also let her show off the different colours to her tone and delivery, which, let's be honest, Kajiura does not make use of. All of Joelle's English covers would sound infinitely more interesting if Kajiura allowed her to perform it like a SH song.

Is the idea of liking someone's voice DESPITE technique issues such a foreign concept to you?
😂 😂 Of course not! I like Hikaru's voice and style. She's still my favorite YK singer as I have always repeated. But I am able to critique her errors and have an idea of what she gets wrong without feeling the need to defend her on those points. Joelle has things I wish she did differently, in particular songs. I am into vocals (and have taken a few classes) so as much as I can love a vibe of a singer, I also owe it myself to call out their weaknesses, hoping they have the awareness and opportunity to improve. I also STILL cannot lock a song to a singer. If that's the case, all the operatic, pop, and other classic songs written for one voice at the start and sang thereafter by thousands (or for a popular pop example, Whitney covering Dolly Parton's "I Will Always Love You", and all the American, Filipino, Korean, etc., singers covering her cover) shouldn't exist, since someone who it was written for sang it first, and only they could ever sing it satisfactorily. That's just my bone of contention, basically. That idea.
Joelle is OBVIOUSLY the more technical and developed vocalist.
She had more training. She went to college for music/vocals (like Kasahara, Yuriko, Eri, Remi, etc.). The other singers mostly took vocal lessons, did talent contests growing up, and learned on the job. It doesn't mean they're not good singers, but every singer can be critiqued based on knowledge and not just a preference.
Keiko should really have kept her lead parts here since her English pronunciation and accent has improved a lot since vol 2 and 9.
Well... yeah she improved (I suspect Joelle's been helping out with that, note the YKL 20). She sang the lead for "I Swear", adopting a slightly more forward/nasal approach (rather than the warm, covered voice) but articulated the consonants much better than ever. Maybe that forward approach helps with that?
All of Joelle's English covers would sound infinitely more interesting if Kajiura allowed her to perform it like a SH song.
Hmmm, not sure I agree with that. The original (Emily) performances weren't sung theatrically, right? Can you give an example of an SH song for this assertion?

I actually strongly feel her YKL 20 "Long Forgotten Cloistered Sleep" and "Forest" were definitive versions, tonally, enunciation-wise, and expressively as well.

Back